Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Audiobook thread - What are you listening to?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Ugh, read by Patrick himself? I can't get through an interview with him let alone dozens of hours of him reading.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So I've been a busy bee since my last update. First up:

Rocket Raccoon & Groot: Steal the Galaxy!

Lots of delicious space stuff. ANd like the movie, our two titled characters show heart.
  • Options
    Red Harvest

Prequel to Death Troopers. It's zombies meets the Old Republic.
  • Options
    The Death of Captain America

This was a pretty awesome adaptation, and squeezed a lot of stuff in, including the Cap Civil War issues, Winter Soldier Back-story, and more.
  • Options
    So these are some biggies...

I've decided to go through Star Wars audiobooks. Or at least the ones I'm interested in... which is most of them. Red Harvest was the start, but these are the most important Old Republic ones:

Darth Bane:Path of Destruction
    Darth Bane: Rule of two
    Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

I love villain protagonists, so this trilogy of audiobook was for me.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I've decided to go through Star Wars audiobooks. Or at least the ones I'm interested in... which is most of them. Red Harvest was the start, but these are the most important Old Republic ones:

I don't do many Star Wars books, but the good ones are great as audio. The sound effects took me some time to get used to, as I usually like the simplicity of a narrator and text and nothing else. And these productions go way the other direction. Finally I decided to just treat it as a kind of radio drama. Like to pretend I was a kid in the '30s or '40s listening to radio adventures.

I also like the villain stories. I haven't done the Bane one yet, but Darth Plageis (sp?) is fantastic. And I also enjoyed the Tarkin book by the same author.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I don't do many Star Wars books, but the good ones are great as audio. The sound effects took me some time to get used to, as I usually like the simplicity of a narrator and text and nothing else. And these productions go way the other direction. Finally I decided to just treat it as a kind of radio drama. Like to pretend I was a kid in the '30s or '40s listening to radio adventures.

I also like the villain stories. I haven't done the Bane one yet, but Darth Plageis (sp?) is fantastic. And I also enjoyed the Tarkin book by the same author.

I started off the opposite of this. It took me a while to adjust to simpler audiobooks. Listening to the Dexter ones helped a ton. Now I can listen to anything.

For me, though, it's a nice surprise that the a Star Wars ones tend to have music and sound effects.
  • Options
    I've lsitened to a ton of audiobooks since last time I reported. It's time to catch up here! (In the order I read Em in, natch!)

Star Wars: Cloak of Deception

This book isn't necessary, but it's a decent adventure with Palpatine's political deceit, as well as ObiWan and Qui-Gon in action.

This book does set a few important events into motion.

• Options
    Marvel Secret Wars

This works great as an audiobook, and it expand on the frayed nerves and distrust between the heroes. It actually help make certain attitudes make sense that may have made you scratch your head in the comic.

The voices are superb. But it's Graphic Audio, so what else is new, right?
  • Options
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

This book makes young Anakin a lot less annoying. I actually liked him! Overall, it did a damn fine job at expanding the events of the movie.

However, while it did wonders for Anakin, Jar Jar is just as grating as ever, if not even more.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I've been on a Jack Reacher kick lately.

I'm very happy to learn that Ghost Story, the only Dresden Files book not read by James Marsters, has now been re-recorded by Marsters.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Ever since Terry Pratchett's passing I've been binging on Discworld novels. I have nearly all of his books in audio format, but have only listened to a handful of them. Since I had never read his Tiffany Aching series that's were I started. I recently borrowed from my local library CDs of Raising Steam and The Long Earth (a non-Discworld novel, that Terry co-wrote with Stephen Baxter).
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Ever since Terry Pratchett's passing I've been binging on Discworld novels. I have nearly all of his books in audio format, but have only listened to a handful of them. Since I had never read his Tiffany Aching series that's were I started. I recently borrowed from my local library CDs of Raising Steam and The Long Earth (a non-Discworld novel, that Terry co-wrote with Stephen Baxter).

I really like the Tiffany Aching books. Maybe even more than the regular Discworld books.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I really like the Tiffany Aching books. Maybe even more than the regular Discworld books.
    The Watch books are my favorites.

But I love all of them except the first two Rincewind books. And even those have their moments.
  • Options
    Continuing on my catch-up:

Code Zero - a Joe Ledger novel

These novels are always awesome, and the reader knows the character. Hell, he IS Joe Ledger.

This novel takes previous threats and throws them against Ledger and his team... At the same time. I was looking forward to this one, and it did not disappoint. If you've never read/listened to this series before, go listen to the first one, Patient Zero! It has zombies!

• Options
    Star Wars: Darth Plagieus

This is probably the best Star Wars book I've ever read or listened to. @Matt , you said you'd le to know about the rise of Palpatine's. Well, this is it. It's his book as much as his master's.

This novel makes a ton of references to other works (some of which are no longer in the Star Wars canon), but it's still a great listen. The reader is superb.

This was my second time listening to this.
  • Options
    Star Wars: Rogue Planet

Cute story with Anakin and Obi-Wan. Yes, I said "cute". Two important things happen. It's the first time Anakin does .... Something..... And it's the secret origin of a certain famous Star Wars space-mark.

Ultimately, it's filler, but quick and entertaining filler.
  • Options
    Jedi Quest - Way of the Apprentice

Jedi Quest - Trail of the Jedi

Jedi Quest - the Dangerous Games

Anakin is a little shit. These little audiobooks really don't shy away from that. What I like is while there are lessons to be learned, Anakin doesn't always take them to heart.

On the other hand, I sometimes wish other people would punch him.

These are supposed to be for younger readers, but they're written well enough, and don't shy away from violence and death, surprisingly. (These were written before Cartoon Network's Clone Wars series, where I learned to stop being surprised)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Star Wars: Rogue Planet

Cute story with Anakin and Obi-Wan. Yes, I said "cute". Two important things happen. It's the first time Anakin does .... Something....

Not behind the ammo dump, I hope.
  • Options
    14 By Peter Clines...what an amazing book.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Star Wars: Darth Plagieus

This is probably the best Star Wars book I've ever read or listened to. @Matt , you said you'd le to know about the rise of Palpatine's. Well, this is it. It's his book as much as his master's.

This novel makes a ton of references to other works (some of which are no longer in the Star Wars canon), but it's still a great listen. The reader is superb.

This was my second time listening to this.

Thanks, I'll have to check iTunes for it.

M
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

Holy crap...

The Fantastic Four Radio Show from 1975. .... The episodes hosted by Stan Lee and had Bill Murray as the Human Torch!

archive.org/details/FantasticFour-10Episodes

@DoctorDoom, thanks for the link. I've been meaning to listen to this for quite some time. Like so many things I plan, unless its in front of me or arriving at my doorstep via amazon or eBay, I often do not get around to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Continuing on:

Star Wars: Outbound Flight

Consider it a prequel to the Thrawn series of books. (set before the Clone Wars) It's pretty decent, and somehow, the Palpatine side of things are in the right.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I read outbound flight and I wasn't a big fan. Maybe I would give it asecondlook
  • Options
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

It felt like not much happened in this one. I can't remember how I felt about the movie, as I haven't seen it since opening night years ago.

I guess it felt like a let down from Episode I.
  • Options
    Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil

It's a direct prequel to Episode III. It pretty much expands on what happened in the opening text crawl. Do you need this? Not at all? But to me, this kept me engaged and hungry for Episode III.
  • Options
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

This is the book I've been most anticipating. It was my favorite of the prequels, although certain things left a lot to be desired. This book does a fantastic job of getting into the psychology of the characters, especially Anakin Skywalker. It shows his inner struggle, and just why he would fall so hard into the Dark Side.

(Hell, listening to all these books painted a great picture of why things turned out as they did)

Unlike the last Episode, things are always interesting and keep the plot moving. hell, even the Anakin-Padme scenes.
  • Options

Continuing on:

Star Wars: Outbound Flight

Consider it a prequel to the Thrawn series of books. (set before the Clone Wars) It's pretty decent, and somehow, the Palpatine side of things are in the right.

I enjoyed this one. I've been pretty down on most SW books lately but this one was a nice surprise.

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

This is the book I've been most anticipating. It was my favorite of the prequels, although certain things left a lot to be desired. This book does a fantastic job of getting into the psychology of the characters, especially Anakin Skywalker. It shows his inner struggle, and just why he would fall so hard into the Dark Side.

(Hell, listening to all these books painted a great picture of why things turned out as they did)

Unlike the last Episode, things are always interesting and keep the plot moving. hell, even the Anakin-Padme scenes.

Really??!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ti9NXc7CM