Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    All you have to do is actually read the thread. Haha. I've been talking about the YA feel of the trailer - something my oldest tuned into initially - and then it went from there about YA itself. It's not that hard to follow.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Trying to wrap my head around how this Fantastic Four reboot thread has turned into a critique of the Harry Potter novels....

Is that a reflection of the trailer?!

M
    I'll accept that.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Trying to wrap my head around how this Fantastic Four reboot thread has turned into a critique of the Harry Potter novels....

After my last post yesterday, I closed the tab on my browser and found myself thinking "What the hell thread was I even posting to?" I know I can ramble off topic, but I literally couldn't remember why I was talking about Harry Potter on the CGS forum.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    To bring the Harry Potter discussion back to where it originally spun off, if they are trying for a more YA approach with the FF movie, it won’t necessarily be a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    chrisw said:

After my last post yesterday, I closed the tab on my browser and found myself thinking "What the hell thread was I even posting to?" I know I can ramble off topic, but I literally couldn't remember why I was talking about Harry Potter on the CGS forum.

:)

To bring the Harry Potter discussion back to where it originally spun off, if they are trying for a more YA approach with the FF movie, it won’t necessarily be a bad thing.

I would also like to add, if they are trying for a more David Cronenberg approach with the new FF movie, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/wLudLlrho9Q
    Under the microscope character bios. Thoughts?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Interesting. Definitely leaning heavily on the Ultimate FF characterizations. It may just be the analytical nature of this teaser, but it's feeling more like an Ultimate FF/Ender's Game mash-up. Which could be cool as long as it's doesn't go too far into Ender's Game territory.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    This trailer looked far better on the big screen than on my computer.

I'm still not lured in, but I can now understand why others would be.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I am so looking forward to the Fantastic Four reboot.

Not this one; the next one.
  • Options

My only word on this new reboot of the FF is that the story is going to have to be damn good in order to outweigh the poor decisions of choosing the cast. As it currently stands, I have no interest in seeing it.

YOU...

Not only was this film never on my must-see list to begin with, but now I want to go and have my brain scrubbed of all memory of its ever having been mentioned at all, even in passing.

ARE...

Yeah. I'm not sold. I'm walking away from this one. Haven't liked anything I'd heard up to this point, and I'm not seeing anything here to win me over. My first impression on seeing the trailer was "Who are these guys!?"

A...

That one pic is brilliant... but I've seen a couple of others that are less impressive. It's not enough to lure me into the theater.

BROKEN...

I'll admire the posters from afar. And then go see Ant-Man.

RECORD...

Definitely not going to this movie. Anytime I see the trailer, poster or pics, the thought that keeps automatically popping up in my mind is, "I don't know these people".

Not wasting my money.

!!!

Haha... Seriously... give it up.
  • Options

Interesting. Definitely leaning heavily on the Ultimate FF characterizations. It may just be the analytical nature of this teaser, but it's feeling more like an Ultimate FF/Ender's Game mash-up. Which could be cool as long as it's doesn't go too far into Ender's Game territory.

Didn't the first two FF movies also rely on the Ultimates angle? The whole space station origin is from the Ultimates story, I believe. I wasn't ever a big reader after the initial storyarc.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    RepoMan said:

Didn't the first two FF movies also rely on the Ultimates angle? The whole space station origin is from the Ultimates story, I believe. I wasn't ever a big reader after the initial storyarc.
    Nope. The Ultimate FF origin was strictly an earth based affair, with a failed attempt at interdimensional travel. Another early arc had them fly the Space Shuttle Awesome through the negative zone. Maybe this is what you're remebering? Nothing from the UFF was used in the first two movies really, except the vague idea of a disembodied Galactus maybe.

• Options
    Just read where FF director Josh Trank has bowed out of the Star Wars franchise stand-alonemovie he was slated to direct.Maybe he wants a break from doing franchise films.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    RepoMan said:

My only word on this new reboot of the FF is that the story is going to have to be damn good in order to outweigh the poor decisions of choosing the cast. As it currently stands, I have no interest in seeing it.

YOU...

Not only was this film never on my must-see list to begin with, but now I want to go and have my brain scrubbed of all memory of its ever having been mentioned at all, even in passing.

ARE...

Yeah. I'm not sold. I'm walking away from this one. Haven't liked anything I'd heard up to this point, and I'm not seeing anything here to win me over. My first impression on seeing the trailer was "Who are these guys!?"

A...

That one pic is brilliant... but I've seen a couple of others that are less impressive. It's not enough to lure me into the theater.

BROKEN...

RECORD...

Definitely not going to this movie. Anytime I see the trailer, poster or pics, the thought that keeps automatically popping up in my mind is, "I don't know these people".

Not wasting my money.

!!!

And those were the hits, folks! Be back next week, and remember to keep looking to the stars!
  • Options
    A fun scroll down memory lane! I can't get the lyrics out of my head. Love 'em all :)
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited May 2015

Just read where FF director Josh Trank has bowed out of the Star Wars franchise stand-alonemovie he was slated to direct.Maybe he wants a break from doing franchise films.

Sounds more like he got fired.

THR: Inside a 'Star Wars' Firing: 'Fantastic Four' Problems Led to Director Josh Trank's Ouster
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Everything I read about Trank reminds me of when I was in film school, and there were always a few guys who talked about how one day they'd be directing big budget, epic films, and I would find myself thinking "You can barely manage your own life, how on earth are you going to oversee a multi-million dollar production?" These were the types who would storm out of a class because someone said something critical about their screenplay.

I don't know anything about the guy, so I could be completely wrong, but I'm actually surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.
  • Options
    The trailer on the big screen was epic! I'm liking the twist on Mr. fantastic's powers. That is, if they are going this direction. That it's more about being able to warp reality around himself as a way to manipulate his body/form. Perfect for a scientist that thinks about dimension and space. And may look better on the screen. Not to mention living up to his name. Haha.
  • Options

In two years.
  • Options

RepoMan said:

YOU...

ARE...

A...

BROKEN...

RECORD...

Not wasting my money.

!!!

And those were the hits, folks! Be back next week, and remember to keep looking to the stars!
    Points for consistency. That's important.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    kgforce said:

Sounds more like he got fired.

THR: Inside a 'Star Wars' Firing: 'Fantastic Four' Problems Led to Director Josh Trank's Ouster
    Some interesting quotes from that article follow...
    producers on Fantastic Four are said to have faced great challenges pulling the film together given behavior described by one insider as “erratic” and at times “very isolated.” Trank did not offer clear direction, this person adds, saying, "If you've got someone who can't answer questions or who isn't sure or is in hiding, that's not good."
    Trank was sometimes indecisive and uncommunicative. Producers... had to step in to help pull the film together, though sources stress that Trank was still on set and directing the film. (Were that not the case, the production could have run afoul of the Directors Guild of America.)
    Just over three months from opening, Fox’s Fantastic Four has done re-shoots. The most recent round involved three days of re-shoots at the end of April

Kinberg (producer on 2nd Star Wars stand-alone project) communicated his displeasure with Trank to Kathleen Kennedy and the team at Lucasfilm. As the Star Wars brain trust heard more about Trank's behavior and working style, they became less confident in handing over the film to him.
    Disney declined to comment.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    There is nothing about this movie that looks awful. It just doesn't feel like a Fantastic Four project though. I am intrigued to see this but just not in the theater.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I guess there will be no toys for the X-Men: Apocalypse or Fantastic Four movies forthcoming.

Diamond Select Toys president Chuck Terceira says they have no plans for making toys for X-Men: Apocalypse when asked in a Q&A with Asylum, stating that "the movie situation with Marvel is very fluid. That said I think we’re unlikely to make figures based on the Fox movies going forward."

Thoughts?

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Picking up on @mphil's question posted on that other thread:
    mphil said:

Were the Inhumans ever a popular group until recently? I remember DnA did a cross-over about them a few years back but I feel like it wasn't well received. It really does feel like Marvel is just pushing them as a stand-in for not having the X-Men. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just curious if someone can say "no, no, the Inhumans were hugely popular in 1978" or something.

I feel like Kirby chronicle @SolitaireRose could speak to their overall history much better than I could. But I have a sense of what Marvel has tried with them in the last 15 years or so.

The recent, clearly movie-slate influenced, push that Marvel has given the Inhumans is bigger than the last few, but it seems like, after ignoring them for a long time (as far as I recall, again, others may have a better memory on this) Marvel got interested in them again back at the end of the 90s. I remember a lot of buzz around the Jenkins/Jae Lee series, but that didn't seem to be enough to make them stick.

And then mid-00s they started getting used again, or at least Black Bolt does. I feel like Bendis gave the character a big push by including him in The Illuminati , which not only made him a current player that matters, but also, in the retcon-y nature of the Illuminati concept, suggests that he has ALWAYS mattered to the MU. That, even though they had been mostly ignored by the last few decades of publishing, he is the monarch of a very powerful race of people that are sitting on a huge amount of power in the MU, and therefore he has been a part of this secret collective of power brokers. And the ones who hold the Infinity Gems.

And from there, Black Bolt, and to a lesser extent, the rest of the Inhumans, started being in the mix more. They make a point of his opting out of involvement in Civil War (because now he is important enough that they have to bother to do that), he's in World War Hulk. He's the star of Silent War. DnA use him in War of Kings, as you mentioned, and on and on from there.

But, even during all of this, have they been popular with readers? I don't watch the numbers that closely, but my guess would be not so much. I don't think it helped that what was supposed to be the splashy launch of the new way Marvel would be doing the Inhumans-- Inhumanity-- had a messy launch. I forget exactly what happened, but it was heavily promoted and was supposed to be the next big new thing, from Fraction and Copiel, but I think Fraction was already off the title before the first issue hit the stands or something. And even with all the tie-ins and such, it didn't really catch on. And then it was time for Marvel Now! anyway, so Inhumans took a back seat again. And they have heavily promoted (at least in house ads) the latest volume, Uncanny Inhumans. So we'll see.

I would say that, thanks in large part to what Bendis started doing with him, that Black Bolt has a lot more visibility than he had when I was a kid in the 80s, and even in most of the 90s. I feel like he grabbed onto the fact that there was this very powerful, mysterious Kirby/Lee character that was in continuity, but who was not having a role in the stories that the king of the kingdom that lives on the moon or whatever it is, should have.

And some other Inhumans concepts have got a push-- there have been those Lockjaw & The Pet Avengers minis aimed at younger readers. The Terrigen mists made for the origin of the new Ms. Marvel, and she has been popular.

But as far as getting the Inhumans to be popular with comic buyers in their own series goes, I think historically that has been a challenge, but they are working on it. It could be that the movie will help. Look what that did for Guardians. Ten years ago would you have believed me if I told you that there would not only be a Guardians of the Galaxy comic often in the top 20, but solo series for Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and a Guardians Team-Up book as well?

So, we'll see.

Again, happy to take corrections and additions on this from some of our local historians.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    RepoMan said:
    I know there has been a lot of stories of things like this going on in the licensing of toys and clothes and such. And I believe that there is some strategy here regarding playing up the MCU properties and playing down the X-Men and FF. But that's why I have been specifically only talking about what publishing is doing.

When it comes to the comics, I don't think they have been pushing out the X-Men or FF, despite the rumors. And I don't expect they will anytime soon.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    David_D said:

But, even during all of this, have they been popular with readers?

When I was a young reader (in the 80's), I LOVED the Inhumans. I bought everything I could get my hands on that had an Inhuman appearance. They felt so mysterious... probably because I had just missed the first big push by Marvel to sell the characters to the public (Amazing Adventures, and the first Inhumans series). However, this is inline with my history of gravitating toward the "less than popular" characters and titles. They didn't show up often, but when they were involved... it was a big deal (at least to me).

The fact that the Inhumans shared an Annual with Alpha Flight in 1998 speaks volumes about the popularity of both of those teams (or lack of) at the time.
    David_D said:

And some other Inhumans concepts have got a push-- there have been those Lockjaw & The Pet Avengers minis aimed at younger readers. The Terrigen mists made for the origin of the new Ms. Marvel, and she has been popular.

There was a short lived series "relaunch" attempt in 2003 that tried to build on the hype from the excellent Jenkins/Jae Lee series, but it didn't last more than 12 issues. Unfortunately the book tried to shift the focus onto a new generation of "Young Inhumans", that were just not as interesting as the Royal Family, and those characters haven't been seen since.
    David_D said:

But as far as getting the Inhumans to be popular with comic buyers in their own series goes, I think historically that has been a challenge, but they are working on it. It could be that the movie will help. Look what that did for Guardians. Ten years ago would you have believed me if I told you that there would not only be a Guardians of the Galaxy comic often in the top 20, but solo series for Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and a Guardians Team-Up book as well?

Ha! Just had this discussion with my brother-in-law this past weekend. I just can't imagine the pitch to get the Guardians' movie the green light, especially when it was announced, they didn't even have an on-going title (the awesome DnA run had recently ended).
    Unfortunately the stumbling launch of "Inhumanity" didn't help much. Someone definitely dropped the ball on that one, and it feels like all the recent Inhuman's appearances and cross-over have been shoe-horned and heavy-handed to date.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    I'm a big Inhumans fan, well, relatively speaking. I liked "Inhumanity" and have also been enjoying their ongoing title as well. I loved "War of Kings" too. Thought it was one of the better story arcs of the past 10 years or so. I'm hoping the Inhumans movie stays somewhat true to form and keeps it primarily about the Royal Family. Their ties to the Kree could potentially serve as a nice bridge between MCU events on Earth and the Cosmic storyline.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    On the are they/aren't they purging FF/X-Men issue: This image is pretty They Are.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

On the are they/aren't they purging FF/X-Men issue: This image is pretty They Are.

Yes, the evidence continues to stack.