Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

Sort of unfortunate timing for this particular choice of title:

(I know they don't actually mean it *that* way)

Well, if it had come out way back when it was first solicited (how many years ago was that now?), it would have had the context of the other minis (Blue, Gray, Yellow, etc.) to make it sound not so bad. I'm just glad it's finally going to come out.
    Oh, I know. It just makes for funny timing.

And I'm glad it's finally coming out, too.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @nweathington Is there an alter ego issue featuring jack cole or plastic man? I figured you were the best person to ask. I'm more interested in Jack Cole than Plas.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2015
    Awesome! I'm a fan of this series, the character, and the creative team, so this is great news. Furthermore, I don't struggle with so-called "white guilt," or racism, so the title is really no problem for me.

And wasn't 'Blue' already taken?
    David_D said:

Looks like Sale is channeling Frank Springer on that cover. Sweet.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Yes, but they could easily have gone for Red and have him fight Commies or, you know, the Red Skull.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington Is there an alter ego issue featuring jack cole or plastic man? I figured you were the best person to ask. I'm more interested in Jack Cole than Plas.

Why, yes. Yes there is.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

The long delay makes for sort of unfortunate timing for this particular choice of title:

At least it's not "Captain America: White!"

Or "Captain America: White, Dammit"

Or "I'm Not a Racist, But..."
  • Options

Looks more like Frank Robbins to me. Which is much better than Frank Springer.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Why, yes. Yes there is.
    Thanks. I'm glad to know it was before I started reading them. I've been reading alter ego and back issue digitally since 2010. I just got the last 6-7 months of each bc somewhere along the line I forgot to keep up.

I'm going to sound like a.broken record but if you want to read great articles about comics the best deal available is backissue and alter ego digitally. 3.95 an issue, and I promise you won't be done in one trip to the bathroom.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Awesome! I'm a fan of this series, the character, and the creative team, so this is great news. Furthermore, I don't struggle with so-called "white guilt," or racism, so the title is really no problem for me.

David_D said:

I don't think the title *actually* is a problem for anyone or suggesting that anyone will actually take it that way.

(That was the joke.)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

The long delay makes for sort of unfortunate timing for this particular choice of title:

"Captain America: My One Friend Is Black."
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

"Captain America: My One Friend Is Black."
    Annnnd @David_D wins the internet for the day.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Kevin Feige sent this after Jurassic World scored the biggest opening.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-congratulates-jurassic-world-defeating-802811

This can mean only one thing for future Marvel Films, Devil Dinosaur
  • Options
    DAR said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-congratulates-jurassic-world-defeating-802811

"We have our own dinosaur, only he flies airships, wears a smoking jacket, and is red instead of white. Trust us you loved the talking raccoon and space Ent" - Marvel Studios
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited June 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

DAR said:

"We have our own dinosaur, only he flies airships, wears a smoking jacket, and is red instead of white. Trust us you loved the talking raccoon and space Ent" - Marvel Studios
    Ha!

Take unknown intellectual properties and create blockbusters
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

How about, "There is no biological proof" that Captain America had white parents.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    rebis said:

How about, "There is no biological proof" that Captain America had white parents.

LOL!

• Options
    Man the news has been crazy fun the last few days. Donald Trump, Spokane, and my new favorite story the Cards/Astros hacking scandal.

Its nice to know nothing important like double secret trade talks with asia, that we can't learn the details of until it passes (bc that always works well for us), are going on as we speak. Or that security clearances for the government were hacked by an unknown entity (probably those sly north koreans again).

Real Talk the cards/astro story makes me happy. I love cheating in baseball; it's better than Rick Flair grabbing the ropes on a Figure Four (not really but close).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    My lovely Wife just celebrated a birthday. It's one of those numbers that you celebrate and commiserate. My Wife is a huge fan of the Osmond family, so for her birthday we went to Vegas to see Donny and Marie. She loved the show and was as giddy as a schoolgirl during the meet and greet afterward.
    My reasons for mentioning this are selfish. I HATE VEGAS! It's the butt-hole of American destination travel. The success of the trip means that there won't be talk of going to Vegas again for a very long time. This makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Reading the 1st vol of DC Showcase Aquaman: (Spoiler alert - if spoiling a 1959 comic is possible)

Lois Lane legs get crushed while taking photographs underwater while on a Hawaiian vacation. Aquaman saves her by taking her to the world's best surgeon who just happens to be on a secluded island by himself. The doctor performs a mermaid transplant on Lois to save her life. She pines for Superman (who just happens to be in Hawaii at the same time) but settles for Aquaman. She gains telepathy. Saves Aquaman from depth charge explosion but passes out in the process. Superman takes her to hospital. He reads all the hospital library medical books in less than 1 minute. Gets awarded every medical degree basically on the spot. Performs reversal surgery on Lois. 30 mins later, Status Quo restored as Lois gets up from the OR table. This whole thing took 9 pages.

I love the Silver Age.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Yesterday sucked.
    Apparently a squirrel chewed through the neutral line that leads from my home to the power pole. I had an electrical surge, and with no neutral line to absorb the surge things started cooking. Three surge protectors fried. One caught fire and my desk caught fire. The cable box outside melted and numerous bulbs blew. The place smells like burnt plastic, but so far the damage seems to minimal. My over-sized Star Wars Chronicles book got charred (which was a bit of a pisser), but all things considered, I'm lucky this didn't happen when nobody was home to put out the fire. I'm still assessing the damage and it looks like the cable guy just pulled up.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Chronicles-Deborah-Fine/dp/081181498X
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Yesterday sucked.
    Apparently a squirrel chewed through the neutral line that leads from my home to the power pole. I had an electrical surge, and with no neutral line to absorb the surge things started cooking. Three surge protectors fried. One caught fire and my desk caught fire. The cable box outside melted and numerous bulbs blew. The place smells like burnt plastic, but so far the damage seems to minimal. My over-sized Star Wars Chronicles book got charred (which was a bit of a pisser), but all things considered, I'm lucky this didn't happen when nobody was home to put out the fire. I'm still assessing the damage and it looks like the cable guy just pulled up.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Chronicles-Deborah-Fine/dp/081181498X

Wow! Suppose it could've been MUCH worse.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I just got home from watching Jurassic World. I feel like I'm 7 again when the first one came out. What a great movie! I'm not surprised it took more then Age Of Ultron on its opening weekend.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any experience with

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics ?

Good? Bad?

I want to unload most of my collection and ebay is too slow and the fees almost make it not worth it. This site takes collections and gives store credit and/or cash.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Father's Day gifts:

My family rocks!
  • Options
    popestu said:

Father's Day gifts:

My family rocks!

• Options
    I finally started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Oh.

My.

Dear.

God.

So good. So very, very good.

(Except "Tales From the Black Lagoon"...)
  • Options
    In more baseball intrigue. Turns out Pete Rose bet on baseball while he was playing (from ESPN). He's not making it into the HoF in my lifetime.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

In more baseball intrigue. Turns out Pete Rose bet on baseball while he was playing (from ESPN). He's not making it into the HoF in my lifetime.

As a kid who grew up a Reds fan, and a fan of Charlie Hustle, I'm torn. He'll never make the Hall now, if the evidence holds. His records should stand, though. If we're going to count Bonds and McGwire's records. Or did they get disqualified for doping?

• Options
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

As a kid who grew up a Reds fan, and a fan of Charlie Hustle, I'm torn. He'll never make the Hall now, if the evidence holds. His records should stand, though. If we're going to count Bonds and McGwire's records. Or did they get disqualified for doping?

I'm all for his records standing, however I have a hard time being OK with betting on games he directly influenced. Even if he wasn't betting against the Reds. He probably needs to be banned from baseball forever.

That is directly opposite how I feel about 1990/early 2000s steroids guys. Barry Bonds should be in the HoF, so should Roger Clemens. They were HoF guys.
    There are also guys from that era that were just steroids guys that have numbers that don't belong Sosa, Palmero, probably even McGwire.