Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on DC?

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

compsolut said:

Um, just wondering, where do we go to lodge our complaints about Marvel NOW!, Secret Wars, or the MCU?

Haha!

Can I direct you to the CGS Forums . . . oh, yeah, looks like you made it . . . :smiley:

Oh, so it's just the forums in general, there is no "Hating on Marvel" thread to speak of?

LOL
    You could make one.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I think this perception that there are people that are "hating on" DC is valid and its not so much individual people, or maybe not even anyone on this forum. But I'll give an example. i09, a popular Gawker Media blog site that talks about all thinks sci-fi/geek/whatever they want recently had a post about the "winners" and "losers" of SDCC. Winners included Star Wars, Deadpool, and the Limitless TV show (please meh).

Losers included a TV show called "Containment" (some kind of virus outbreak show where the viewers were laughing out loud... during serious parts), Fantastic Four (because of a general lack of interest), and.... the DC Cinematic Universe. The reason "Well they could have brought out the entire Justice League on stage".

Oh. So dominating Hall H for most of Saturday, debuting two huge reals of footage for their two massive movies coming out next year, each of which have since been watched on YouTube over 20 MILLION times (the Official YouTube account for WB has almost 30 million views for B vs S and almost 25 million for SS) and, anecdotally seems to have turned a lot of heads on both movies... that's not enough. They still "lost" because they didn't promote the Justice League movie. Which isn't coming out for two years. That would have been like Marvel promoting Avengers before Iron Man 2 came out.

That to me is an example of "hating on". Its OK to not like DC movies or their general perception on everything. But to go out of your way to find some absurd reason to say they are losing, that's absurd.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    RepoMan said:

Isn't it about time you told us once again how you're not going to see the FF movie? Haha

Hang on! I see the FF thread has some new posts! I'll be down that way in a minute or so! No point in not letting folks know how much I'm not going to go see it!
  • Options

RepoMan said:

Isn't it about time you told us once again how you're not going to see the FF movie? Haha

Hang on! I see the FF thread has some new posts! I'll be down that way in a minute or so! No point in not letting folks know how much I'm not going to go see it!
    The swerve will be if you do actually see it and it turns out to be your favorite movie. You then keep posting about how much you love it and how we all should see it.

Of course, you will probably be accused of being a Marvel fan boy and "loving on" Marvel too much.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

RepoMan said:

I love how this thread has basically proven the initial thoughts in the first post correct. What started out as a question has basically been proven and is now just a generic Hating on DC thread. Way to go fanboys! Haha.

A couple thoughts--

This conversation has not been one voice, or expressed any one thing. Has there been plenty of generalized hating on? Sure. And probably, as this thread is now pages away from the original question, there are some people who may come to the topic late thinking this is where to park their DC hate. I don't know. (In fact, as the spirit of @Matt 's original post was to ask a question, I have added a question mark to the thread name. I think that might help signpost a bit.)

Truth be told, this was never my favorite sort of discussion to begin with, as even a thoughtful discussion of negativity is probably going to just end up as a parking lot for that negativity. Which is why I know I have been trying to add more to, and encourage, current DC talk and news in threads that aren't called "Hating on DC".

But, to be fair, there is also plenty of conversation that isn't that, including people thoughtfully addressing the question being asked, to simply pointing out that none of the feelings about what ever is brought up- Convergence, recent trailers, etc., is a unanimous feeling. Sure, you can cherry pick what you don't want to see, and respond to that. But, like most of the longer discussions here, that is painting with a broad brush.

At the end of the day, shaming, calling everyone a bunch of fanboys might feel good. But label throwing gets the conversation nowhere, and basically comes at things from the same low road you are trying to get people off of, you know what I mean?

As I have said many times over the years, energy spent trying to control a conversation you don't like is energy better spent making and continuing the conversations you want to be having. Rather than criticizing what you think the forum is, contribute in ways that make it what you want it to be. Lead by example.
    Astute as usual. I didn't/don't necessary care why someone hates DC (or lacks interest in the books such is the case with me), but is it a trend posters here notice is growing throughout forums such as this one.

It's not to justify or debunk any negativity, just a gauge if it's really there or a boogie man to DC fanboys.

M
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

David_D said:

Mihawk said:

Marvel is letting the movie universe dictate how the run there comics story wise and it's ruining it IMO. What they have done to both FF and X-Men because they don't own the movie rights is the biggest bunch of BS I've seen.

If you are not feeling Marvel these days, that is fair. But, just for clarity on what Marvel (at least the publishing division) is or isn't doing to FF and X-Men-- all Marvel publishing has done to X-Men and FF so far is suspend publication of their regular monthly titles during Secret Wars.

Which is the exact same thing they did to the regular Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Guardians, and many other titles. To almost the whole line, actually.

When more new volumes and new titles start launching on the other side of Secret Wars, we will have a better idea if the publishing division is treating some properties differently than others. Though given that some of the first titles set in the post-SW Marvel Universe are Uncanny Inhumans, which has Johnny Storm as a team member, and A-Force, which stars a number of characters that from the X-Men catalog (not to mention all of the "screen time" that Doom and the FF are getting in the main Secret Wars book) so far it seems that at least the characters connected to FF and X-Men are not going to be second class citizens of the new MU. Whether that will be reflected in the title lineups, we'll see.

They are trying to turn the Inhumans into the Mutants just like there movie verse. They've already turned Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch from Mutants into Inhumans.
    Actually, that's incorrect. During my second viewing of AoU, I caught the conversation that the twins were experimented upon. No mention of being born "miracles," but also nothing indicating they are definitely Inhumans. Maybe in the future movies, but so far, you cannot make that opinion a fact.

M

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    DC hate continues...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MintyNewsAndReviews/news/?a=123058

"DC's two most iconic heroes may be about to go head-to-head, but it looks like the villains are winning! Only seven days after its official release, the first trailer for Suicide Squad has exceeded all expectations and even overtaken the BVS trailer with views on YouTube!"

"Unfortunately for the studio, neither trailer came close to matching the number of views reached by both the Star Wars: The Force Awakens (58.2 million) and Avengers: Age Of Ultron (50.6 million) trailers in their first week. Given that the DCEU is still a very young franchise, perhaps we'll have to wait a few years for the Justice League: Part One trailer to challenge those numbers. Which DC trailer did you prefer? Sound off below with your thoughts!"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

DC hate continues...

"DC's two most iconic heroes may be about to go head-to-head, but it looks like the villains are winning! Only seven days after its official release, the first trailer for Suicide Squad has exceeded all expectations and even overtaken the BVS trailer with views on YouTube!"

"Unfortunately for the studio, neither trailer came close to matching the number of views reached by both the Star Wars: The Force Awakens (58.2 million) and Avengers: Age Of Ultron (50.6 million) trailers in their first week. Given that the DCEU is still a very young franchise, perhaps we'll have to wait a few years for the Justice League: Part One trailer to challenge those numbers. Which DC trailer did you prefer? Sound off below with your thoughts!"

How does less enthusiasm equal hate?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

bamfbamf said:

DC hate continues...

How does less enthusiasm equal hate?
    I was wondering the same thing. It might mean people (such as myself) have reservations about these two DCCU movies, but don't hate them.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm more disturbed by the fact that trailers now have opening weekends.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2015
    Torchsong said:

I'm more disturbed by the fact that trailers now have opening weekends.

I'm with you there.
    An opening weekend for a 2 minute commercial. The only way it gets better is if you have to pay and then watch other commercials before it gets to your 2 minutes.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    hating has lost it's gravitas i guess

i think they do use trailer views to estimate opening weekend box office

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

Only if you are doing it wrong.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Since this is part of the Genesis for this thread; how are views under Star Wars episode VII & AoU equate "DC hate"?

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Mihawk said:

David_D said:

Mihawk said:

Marvel is letting the movie universe dictate how the run there comics story wise and it's ruining it IMO. What they have done to both FF and X-Men because they don't own the movie rights is the biggest bunch of BS I've seen.

If you are not feeling Marvel these days, that is fair. But, just for clarity on what Marvel (at least the publishing division) is or isn't doing to FF and X-Men-- all Marvel publishing has done to X-Men and FF so far is suspend publication of their regular monthly titles during Secret Wars.

Which is the exact same thing they did to the regular Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Guardians, and many other titles. To almost the whole line, actually.

When more new volumes and new titles start launching on the other side of Secret Wars, we will have a better idea if the publishing division is treating some properties differently than others. Though given that some of the first titles set in the post-SW Marvel Universe are Uncanny Inhumans, which has Johnny Storm as a team member, and A-Force, which stars a number of characters that from the X-Men catalog (not to mention all of the "screen time" that Doom and the FF are getting in the main Secret Wars book) so far it seems that at least the characters connected to FF and X-Men are not going to be second class citizens of the new MU. Whether that will be reflected in the title lineups, we'll see.

They are trying to turn the Inhumans into the Mutants just like there movie verse. They've already turned Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch from Mutants into Inhumans.
    Actually, that's incorrect. During my second viewing of AoU, I caught the conversation that the twins were experimented upon. No mention of being born "miracles," but also nothing indicating they are definitely Inhumans. Maybe in the future movies, but so far, you cannot make that opinion a fact.

M

That's even expanded on the the prequel AoU comics. (As referenced at the end of Winter Soldier, the volunteered for the process)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone aware of any plans for DC to do smaller scale crossovers? Like maybe a Red Hood / Arsenal & Grayson crossover? Seems like a no-brainer.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

Torchsong said:

rebis said:

I wonder if some of the dissatisfaction with Nu52 is that DC didn't go far enough with the changes? What they gave us was so similar to what preceded that it was to easy to make comparisons?

For me personally it was "Too far on some, Not far enough on others".

Some heroes benefited greatly from the New 52 - Aquaman in particular, but Cyborg actually got interesting again. I enjoyed the New 52 take on Wonder Woman, and Bat-man, -woman, and -girl were all really solid reads, thanks to great teams on them.

Superman, though, suffered greatly in the New 52, and not just because the trunks weren't on the outside anymore. It just wasn't "Superman" anymore. His cousin was the same way. I bought her books out of devotion to the character, and I dug what they were trying to do with her, but it was really difficult to care about her.

The best books to me were the fringe titles like All-Star Western, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, Stormwatch, etc...

Nu52 Aquaman was a continuation of "Brightest Day". That same book could have been released before Flashpoint. However, it probably took Nu52 to introduce of the Others (?)
    Batman & Green lantern really didn't change.
    With the exception of the ugly costume, I love love love Nu52 Wonder Woman. However, that story could have been told in the pre flashpoint DCU.

Now, Superman speaks to my point. The difference is really superficial. No trunks, he's younger, and arrogant. Not enough to disassociate the new from the old.
    What if the focus was Kent and not Kal? What if you kept the history of the baby crash landing in Kansas at the turn of the last century. Only you slow down the maturation of his abilities so that Kent is stronger and smarter then everyone around him, but not the demigod that we recognize as Superman.
    So, in Action Comics you would have stories of Clark Kent, the Superman. It could be a homage to Doc Savage and the pulp that inspired Siegel and Shuster.
    Adventures of Superman could be stories of modern day Clark dealing with the loss of friends/lovers and the awakening of a genetic memory of his true heritage. He's a 90 year old man that looks to be 30.
    Man of Steel could be the Superman were more familiar with. He knows who he is and is in full command of his abilities. However, because the stories are set in an ambiguous future, they can be crazy. Maybe not Silver Age crazy, but why could the "sky be the limit"?
    Sorry, I know this is an old post and I'm coming late to the ongoing conversation...but! I love the idea of a 90 year old superman feeling the crushing burden of eternity but looking an eternal 35. I would read the hell out of that comic.
  • Options
    Ugh.

New solicits like these don't do much to alter perceptions...
    SUGAR & SPIKE, written by Keith Giffen with art by Bilquis Evely:

The last time we saw Sugar and Spike, they were still in diapers! Now, they’re grown up, and they’ve become private investigators who specialize in cleaning up embarrassing problems for the DCU’s greatest heroes. Sugar & Spike’s first assignment: retrieve a cache of Batman’s retired costumes that have been stolen by Killer Moth!
    Raise your hand if this appeals to you.
  • Options

Ugh.

The last time we saw Sugar and Spike, they were still in diapers! Now, they’re grown up, and they’ve become private investigators who specialize in cleaning up embarrassing problems for the DCU’s greatest heroes. Sugar & Spike’s first assignment: retrieve a cache of Batman’s retired costumes that have been stolen by Killer Moth!

*raises hand*

• Options
    Then you are definitely a DC guy @Evening639 :)
  • Options
  • Options
    If it is done in a light hearted fun way with wacky plots, then I would give it a try.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Ugh.

Raise your hand if this appeals to you. Are you kidding me!?! This may be the first DC title I have on my pull list in years!

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Ugh.

I could do exactly the same kind of cherry picking in the Marvel solicits. The difference is that I know that Marvel has gone somewhere I don't care to follow and don't bother to read them. That sounds odd, I'm sure but I don't get my kicks peeing in other people's Cheerios.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    hauberk said:

Ugh.

I could do exactly the same kind of cherry picking in the Marvel solicits. The difference is that I know that Marvel has gone somewhere I don't care to follow and don't bother to read them. That sounds odd, I'm sure but I don't get my kicks peeing in other people's Cheerios.

Its also completely not why I started this thread initially.

All the negativity in this town (forum) sucks. The Golden Age isn't walking through that door. The Silver Age isn't walking through that door. The Bronze Age isn't walking through that door!

M
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    hauberk said:

Oh, I was definitely cherry picking. I just happen to be a fan of classic Sugar & Spike and overlooked this solicit when it came out this summer. I even pre-ordered Adventures of Superman #14 because they were making an appearance (it was dull). When I read this solicit, I just wasn't feeling it. I don't even know if the title ever came out, but I couldn't think of any other place to post this, didn't seem to fit the Random... thread

FWIW, my December order from DCBS is over $120 for February titles, and (other than some collected editions) none of it is from Marvel. I'm getting the Master of Kung-Fu omni and the final Thanos / Starlin OGN

The rest of it is Titan, Image, IDW, Dark Horse, and BOOM!. Nothing from DC either.

There's still the Hatin' on Marvel thread... it just didn't gain much traction. It probably should these days.

Personally, I think it's fine to bemoan a title now and again, or to bitch about your favorite company/character/series not living up to your preconceived notions, as long as you temper it with some humor or encouragement elsewhere. Sorry if you felt like I was peeing in your cereal. Didn't think it was that sensitive an issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

Ugh.

Its also completely not why I started this thread initially.

All the negativity in this town (forum) sucks. The Golden Age isn't walking through that door. The Silver Age isn't walking through that door. The Bronze Age isn't walking through that door!

M

Outside of current Shadow comics, are any modern comics walking through that door at the @Matt house?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Oh, I was definitely cherry picking. I just happen to be a fan of classic Sugar & Spike and overlooked this solicit when it came out this summer. I even pre-ordered Adventures of Superman #14 because they were making an appearance (it was dull). When I read this solicit, I just wasn't feeling it. I don't even know if the title ever came out, but I couldn't think of any other place to post this, didn't seem to fit the Random... thread

FWIW, my December order from DCBS is over $120 for February titles, and (other than some collected editions) none of it is from Marvel. I'm getting the Master of Kung-Fu omni and the final Thanos / Starlin OGN

The rest of it is Titan, Image, IDW, Dark Horse, and BOOM!. Nothing from DC either.

There's still the Hatin' on Marvel thread... it just didn't gain much traction. It probably should these days.

Personally, I think it's fine to bemoan a title now and again, or to bitch about your favorite company/character/series not living up to your preconceived notions, as long as you temper it with some humor or encouragement elsewhere. Sorry if you felt like I was peeing in your cereal. Didn't think it was that sensitive an issue.
    I think that's Matt's original point. To call out the negativity and reject it. Try celebrating what you're enjoying instead. Call out to the like minded celebrants rather than lighting torches and calling for pitchforks.