Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Ant-Man (Non spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    bamfbamf said:

not looking good so far... but it's still early

63% out of 20 reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/antman/

Even when it's in my favor, I've always ignored " rotten tomatoes". Always felt like bullshit reviews to me (again, even when they've been in line with my opinion).

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

UP to 79%!!!!

Who is watching this tomorrow night or this weekend?!?!?!?

Thursday!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm the boring type. So I'm joining 5 or 6 friends at the matinee on August 1 when the crowds die down. It's long lines and packed houses for Marvel movies around here for several weeks. It helps that I'm also too busy with "honey-do" lists to break away any sooner for it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited July 2015
    bamfbamf said:

i cant believe they just threw him... dangerous!

i doubt they would something like that nowadays!

Man that's Weng Wang; 2 feet of pure badness. If he wants to be thrown hell be thrown.

RIP Ernesto.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Box office mojo is reporting that Ant-Man is going to open at a "Hulk" like $60 million or so, playing on the second fewest screens in Marvel production history (second to the Hulk). Forecasts that in the long term and around the world it will be a success, but won't reach anywhere near the heights other entries have.

Anecdotally I don't know anyone, including myself, that is going to see this movie in theaters. I love the MCU and love going to the movies. But I don have any plans to see this till its out on video
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Box office mojo is reporting that Ant-Man is going to open at a "Hulk" like $60 million or so, playing on the second fewest screens in Marvel production history (second to the Hulk). Forecasts that in the long term and around the world it will be a success, but won't reach anywhere near the heights other entries have.

Anecdotally I don't know anyone, including myself, that is going to see this movie in theaters. I love the MCU and love going to the movies. But I don have any plans to see this till its out on video

I had to see GotG in the theatres because my wife wanted to. I'm way more interested in this one. No way I'm passing on it until it's home release.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    For some reason my wife really wants to see this. The only other Marvel movies she expressed an interest in were GOTG and CA:Winter Soldier. I couldn't even get her to a theater to see either of the Avengers films.

I suspect Marvel have already lowered their expectations for this film. I think if they really wanted to push it, there would have been some sort of reference to it in Age of Ultron. I think it'll be a bigger success than any film about Ant-Man ever would have hoped to be before the Marvel movie machine took off, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this turns out to be a one and done franchise, with the character popping up in other films instead.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This is starting to look really interesting. I'm intrigued by how well this does.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

For some reason my wife really wants to see this. The only other Marvel movies she expressed an interest in were GOTG and CA:Winter Soldier. I couldn't even get her to a theater to see either of the Avengers films.

I suspect Marvel have already lowered their expectations for this film. I think if they really wanted to push it, there would have been some sort of reference to it in Age of Ultron. I think it'll be a bigger success than any film about Ant-Man ever would have hoped to be before the Marvel movie machine took off, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this turns out to be a one and done franchise, with the character popping up in other films instead.

Supposedly, there was a Wright directed credit scene for AoU. Also, I read somewhere "Ant-Man will return" precedes the credits.

M
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    30 min before antman starts and the theater is almost full!!!
    Holy cow!!!!
    Get hyped!!!!
    I will report afterwards!!!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Due to my work schedule, I'll probably have to wait until early next week to get to the theater... maybe not until next weekend, though I certainly hope I won't have to wait that long.
  • Options
    Unless this is a GotG sized hit, I can't see them producing a sequel. For one, the fact that they've already announced their slate to 2020 and already had to shift it for Spider-man means there is very little room to strike while the iron is hot. Secondly, there hasn't been an announcement yet. I know that seems crazy, but GoTG 2 was announced 2-3 days before the first one opened. Some of the spots have seemed desperate (I'm speaking of the "spoiler" one in particular, and it's forced connection to the greater MCU). I'm not saying Marvel is unhappy with it, but they definitely have very modest expectations.

I could see Ant-man being the cinematic character to appear in a major way on TV though. Paul Rudd does guest appearances all the time for shows. I could imagine a 2-3 ep arc on MAoS, a cameo in Jessica Jones (they dated briefly in the comic) etc.
  • Options

Unless this is a GotG sized hit, I can't see them producing a sequel. For one, the fact that they've already announced their slate to 2020 and already had to shift it for Spider-man means there is very little room to strike while the iron is hot. Secondly, there hasn't been an announcement yet. I know that seems crazy, but GoTG 2 was announced 2-3 days before the first one opened. Some of the spots have seemed desperate (I'm speaking of the "spoiler" one in particular, and it's forced connection to the greater MCU). I'm not saying Marvel is unhappy with it, but they definitely have very modest expectations.

I could see Ant-man being the cinematic character to appear in a major way on TV though. Paul Rudd does guest appearances all the time for shows. I could imagine a 2-3 ep arc on MAoS, a cameo in Jessica Jones (they dated briefly in the comic) etc.

So there's zero chance of an Iron Man 4 if RDJ says "I'm game for another one, let's do it"? I think if something is a hit, they'll work a sequel into the slated schedule.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

So there's zero chance of an Iron Man 4 if RDJ says "I'm game for another one, let's do it"? I think if something is a hit, they'll work a sequel into the slated schedule.

M
    I refer you to the first sentence of my statement.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Matt said:

M
    I refer you to the first sentence of my statement.
    I refer you to your second sentence in your statement.

M
  • Options
    So I say, "unless it's a big hit they won't make a sequel," and you say "so if it's a hit you're saying they won't make a sequel?" I don't understand. All I said was that unless it performs much better than projected, Marvel has given very little indication they are interested in producing more. It's possible. I start out by admitting a scenario in which it IS possible. Which is the same one you then seem to be accusing me of ignoring. Yes, Marvel changes plans. They did it for Spider-Man, they did it for Daredevil. They did it for Iron Man, by significantly expanding his role in Cap 3. You are right. For a billion dollar franchise, marvel will probably move heaven and earth to make it happen. But the question for Marvel becomes, can we push Black Panther, Thor 3 or Captain Marvel back even further, or do we sit on Ant-Man for 5 years. Will Ant-Man be a AAA franchise for Marvel? If it isn't, then I can't see them pushing these other branches of the line further down the pike, and 5 years is just too long for a sequel these days.

UNLESS, it opens huge this weekend, (that's 85-100 million. and it won't, competition from Minions is still super strong and might actually beat ant-man this weekend). Then I concede to you, your point, which I already implicitly made.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

So I say, "unless it's a big hit they won't make a sequel," and you say "so if it's a hit you're saying they won't make a sequel?" I don't understand. All I said was that unless it performs much better than projected, Marvel has given very little indication they are interested in producing more. It's possible. I start out by admitting a scenario in which it IS possible. Which is the same one you then seem to be accusing me of ignoring. Yes, Marvel changes plans. They did it for Spider-Man, they did it for Daredevil. They did it for Iron Man, by significantly expanding his role in Cap 3. You are right. For a billion dollar franchise, marvel will probably move heaven and earth to make it happen. But the question for Marvel becomes, can we push Black Panther, Thor 3 or Captain Marvel back even further, or do we sit on Ant-Man for 5 years. Will Ant-Man be a AAA franchise for Marvel? If it isn't, then I can't see them pushing these other branches of the line further down the pike, and 5 years is just too long for a sequel these days.

UNLESS, it opens huge this weekend, (that's 85-100 million. and it won't, competition from Minions is still super strong and might actually beat ant-man this weekend). Then I concede to you, your point, which I already implicitly made.

I'm merely stating I don't believe the schedule is etched in stone. That released scheduled represent buoys, not fence posts. It's not specific to just this movie, but other MCU franchises.

M
  • Options
    my non-spoiler review: Ant-Man was as good as Iron Man 1. GO SEE IT!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/17/ant-man-box-office-tiny-hero-steals-tiny-6-4m-thursday/

"Realistically speaking, Ant-Man is looking at an opening weekend of between $55 million and $75 million, with an educated guestimate of around $65m by Sunday. Whether or not a $65m debut weekend for the Paul Rudd/Michael Douglas/Evangeline Lilly caper is a face-saving win for Marvel or an example of dreaded superhero fatigue will frankly depend on what narrative you want to spin. Of course, regardless of how fair this is, a lot will depend on whether or not Ant-Man tops the second weekend of Universal/Comcast Corps.’ Minions. You and I may agree that rank doesn’t matter, but it’s an easy narrative and makes for succinct headlines. But that’s a conversation that may not even have to occur."
  • Options
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-ant-man-trainwreck-1201543117/

Box Office: ‘Ant-Man’ Rises to $65 Million Opening, ‘Trainwreck’ Also Stellar
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm betting it does a bit past $70 Million this weekend... no reason.
  • Options
    This notion of "Wright's version would've been better" is an unfair criticism. We don't know what it'd look like. It certainly would've been an island flick instead of part of a large universe.

M
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    bamfbamf said:

my non-spoiler review: Ant-Man was as good as Iron Man 1. GO SEE IT!!!

AGREED!
    I had the same feeling that I had after Iron Man was over... wanted more.
    I enjoyed it MORE than Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Go see it in the theatre. Now
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Sitting in the theater with the wife waiting for it to start. Amazingly I've been able to stay spoiler free regarding the credit scenes.

WHY ARE THESE PLACES SO $@&#%! COLD?!?!?!
  • Options
    I'm curious, there's a couple people here already noting they'll wait for the home release. Why?

Also, how many of those people felt the same about GotG?

M
  • Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    edited July 2015
    Bummed Ant-man isn't making more at the B.O. this wknd. At this rate, it's less than Terminator Genisys numbers ($75 mil), isn't it? Ouch. But I believe this is a word of mouth movie - the uptick will be noticeable. I really, really enjoyed it. (Non-spoiler thread, so I'll leave it at that.)
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

I'm curious, there's a couple people here already noting they'll wait for the home release. Why?

Also, how many of those people felt the same about GotG?

M

As one of those, I'll answer. I love movies, but if was gonna go out to see one right now it'd be ) terminator 2) minions 3) train wreck

I have no previous interest in the character, the previews didn't really show me anything all that interesting, and I don't like bugs.

I was totally disinterested in GotG until I saw the previews. That being said, GoTG is not my favorite either as I felt the villain was super boring, the comedy was flat, and some of the overall silliness was a little too much for me (dancing in front of the villain, Groot laughing as he stabbed 5 bad guys through the chest).
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Sitting in the theater with the wife waiting for it to start. Amazingly I've been able to stay spoiler free regarding the credit scenes.

I always take a sweatshirt with me - just in case. Feel like a tool walking through the parking lot carrying a sweatshirt when it is 100 degrees out.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

I always take a sweatshirt with me - just in case. Feel like a tool walking through the parking lot carrying a sweatshirt when it is 100 degrees out.
    Sneak one of those thermal warmers. They're sold in packs, cheap, & afterward you can discard them. "No one knows nothin'"

M