Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    dubbat138 said:

Been reading Mirrorshades for over a month now. It is a collection of various cyberpunk short stories. Got 1 story left before I finish it.

I loved this, what, thirty years ago?

How dated does it seem?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited July 2015
    I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. recently I've been getting into the Robert Crais "Elvis Cole" books. you cats that like Robert Parker would probably dig them.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    random73 said:

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.

Good book. I'm half way through the sequel at the moment, Finders Keepers.
  • Options
    Re-reading Bernard Cornwell's The Winter King.

So good.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

random73 said:

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.

Good book. I'm half way through the sequel at the moment, Finders Keepers.
    ooh Fun! I actually saw finders keepers at my local B&N & realized I hadn't read the first one yet so I went back & grabbed it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

So good.

Massive understatement.

Have you read Archer's Tale?
  • Options
    Also been reading a bit of Elmore Leonard. Specifically the Raylan Givens stuff because I've been on a Justified kick. I hear lots about Leonard having a huge for dialogue. Myself I'm a smidge disappointed. Stories move a little slow. After a couple I want to go running back to Robert Parker or Lawrence Block.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

So good.

Massive understatement.

AKA Harlequin.

Yes.

And all three sequels.

And Agincourt.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

So good.

Massive understatement.

AKA Harlequin.

Yes.

And all three sequels.

And Agincourt.
    Three sequels? I must investigate. I was only aware of three books total - Vagabond and Heretic, plus the aforementioned first.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The fourth book is 1356.
  • Options
    Just downloaded the Dresden Files short story collection: Working for Bigfoot. Fun stuff. I need something to get by while waiting for the Cinder Spires book to come out in September.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
  • Options
    Finished Stephen Kings Finders Keepers yesterday.

Taking a trip back to mid-world next. The Drawing of the Three, the second volume in The Dark Tower saga. Hands down my favourite series of books.
  • Options
    Black Order-book 3 in the Sigma Force series by James Rollins
  • Options
    Wrapped up Wolves of the Calla. I liked it quite a bit and am all the more intrigued in how many of King's other books connect - I haven't read all that many of his books. I'm getting hints of The Stand and a little Eyes of the Dragon along with a whole lot of the obvious Salems Lot.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Wrapped up Wolves of the Calla. I liked it quite a bit and am all the more intrigued in how many of King's other books connect - I haven't read all that many of his books. I'm getting hints of The Stand and a little Eyes of the Dragon along with a whole lot of the obvious Salems Lot.

I've read more of his books then not and pretty much every single one has a nod to the series in one way or another, some have massive connections and some less so.

That's part of the reason I love his books so much. They are all connected in some way. Gives his back catalogue a very real feeling of a huge universe all connected that he's made. Amazing stuff really.

Books like The Talisman and The Black House are very heavily involved with the mythos. And even his recent 'Detective' books, which seem to be trying to step away somewhat from the mythos, gave me a small inclining of a connection.

I'm now three quarters of the way through The Drawing of the Three, love reading these over and over because there are so many small things I pick up on that I hadn't before.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I guess this is the place to ask, concerning Tolkien - after LOTR and The Hobbit what other Middle-Earth stories are there to read? It seems everything else out there is a history book and not actual novels apart from The Children of Hurin, right?

Also, here comes a 'new' Tolkien book:
    http://io9.com/j-r-r-tolkiens-the-story-of-kullervo-will-be-published-1722964621
  • Options
    The Judas Strain, book 4 in the Sigma Force series
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2015
    My wife just finished blood rites and dead beat by Jim butcher. She's about 3 Dresden books ahead of me.

I went ahead and ordered proven guilty, white night, and working for bigfoot. She should be happy for a week.
  • Options
    A new Terry Pratchett Discworld book is getting released next week
    "The Shepherd's Crown" It's a witch book.
  • Options
    Finished The Black Dahlia finally and am now about halfway through Red Shirts. I might get done by 2016.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

A new Terry Pratchett Discworld book is getting released next week
    "The Shepherd's Crown" It's a witch book.

I've had it pre-ordered for a couple months, but I may wait a year or two before I read it. It will be nice to have one last unread Pratchett book to look forward to.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I've now completed Wolves of the Calla and Song for Susannah. I've started into the Dark Tower, but am going to have to set it aside for a little while in favor of some corporate reading. Of the two, I liked Wolves quite a bit more, though there were some pretty cool moments in Song.
  • Options
    Finally sat down to read "NOS4A2" by Joe Hill. I'm enjoying it more than I've probably enjoyed a book in a while, but then again Hill is becoming one of the authors I look forward to releasing new work.
  • Options
    I've been on yet another Bernard Cornwell kick.

I re-read The Winter King, listened to the Audiobook of his non-fiction book on Waterloo, and am now re-reading Agincourt.

I may end up digging back into the early Sharpe books next.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

I've now completed Wolves of the Calla and Song for Susannah. I've started into the Dark Tower, but am going to have to set it aside for a little while in favor of some corporate reading. Of the two, I liked Wolves quite a bit more, though there were some pretty cool moments in Song.
    I'm just finishing up a Waste Lands at the moment. I always forget how good that one really is.

Makes me want to go and pick up the couple dark tower trades I still need.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

I'm just finishing up a Waste Lands at the moment. I always forget how good that one really is.

Makes me want to go and pick up the couple dark tower trades I still need.
    I read the first three as they came out. I recall being completely enthralled by it right up to the painfully abrupt ending. At that point I became very frustrated and angry. Likely this is one of the reasons I've become so calm about GRRMs books.

You're right though, on reread, it was much stronger than I remembered.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited September 2015
    Star Wars: Tales from Jabba's Palace by Kevin J. Anderson

Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters by Kevin J Anderson.

Both of these coincided with my audio book project, plus they were fun reads.
  • Options
    Reading some Stuart Woods Stone Barrington novels.
  • Options
    Wikipedia footnote reading led me to a happy discovery.

"Oliver Wiswell" by Kenneth Roberts, is a 1940 novel told from the viewpoint of a Loyalist (Tory) during the American Revolution. It's surprisingly funny, and stuffed with the kind of odd historical tidbits I love. I'm still fairly early into the book, as Boston is about to be evacuated, but the tale will eventually find its way to the siege of Ninety-Six, South Carolina (near me), the story of which I am particularly interested to learn.