Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    OK. A quick warning to everyone. I'm going to stick my big toe into politics.

I'm not a Trump supporter. However, all this hullabaloo over his comments about Megan Kelly made me think he dropped a "C" bomb on her. I went back and read the comment. If "Blood coming out of her eyes" and then later questioning her professionalism is it, then perhaps Kelly isn't cut out to be a tough journalist.

I noticed that Fiorina has taken up for Kelly on Twitter. Fiorina needs to be careful. She could negate all the good work she did in the JV debate by taking up for someone that shouldn't need the protection.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited August 2015
    To clarify, not debate what was posted above:
    The full comment was: "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her...wherever." And he didn't say it at the debate - he said it afterwards.

And now to add to the above:
    Trump also commented after the debate that he didn't know there would be all these rules at the debate, as well as said "what am I doing there, I'm not getting paid for this" as if it was a chore and not part of the process. Those are his exact words. None of which should have any bearing on her status as a journalist. He made those comments ABOUT her. So how that relates to her being a journalist? I'm not sure.

So if Kelly isn't cut out to be a tough journalist, Trump isn't cut out to be a real contender. It's not about protection, it's about - and this is Kelly's sound and solid point - whether or not Trump has what it takes as a figure head to be a respectable national/world leader.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

To clarify, not debate what was posted above:
    The full comment was: "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her...wherever." And he didn't say it at the debate - he said it afterwards.

And now to add to the above:
    Trump also commented after the debate that he didn't know there would be all these rules at the debate, as well as said "what am I doing there, I'm not getting paid for this" as if it was a chore and not part of the process. Those are his exact words. None of which should have any bearing on her status as a journalist. He made those comments ABOUT her. So how that relates to her being a journalist? I'm not sure.

So if Kelly isn't cut out to be a tough journalist, Trump isn't cut out to be a real contender. It's not about protection, it's about - and this is Kelly's sound and solid point - whether or not Trump has what it takes as a figure head to be a respectable national/world leader.

I can't disagree with anything you've written. Trump is this generations Ross Perot and he can have the same divisive affect on the country. However, asking Trump tough questions is a bit like poking a caged badger. You shouldn't be surprised when it snarls. That doesn't mean you don't ask the question. Just don't be surprised by the result.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm no Trump fan and I agree he says stupid things. He certainly has said some terrible things about women in the past and that only adds to what he said about Megyn Kelly.

That being said his rivals were just waiting for something like this. The outrage at anything he says that could possibly be offensive will be cranked up to 11. He just makes it too easy for them.
  • Options
    Good on the NFL for breaking their own rule and allowing the Seau family to speak. Very moving.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited August 2015
    I was in an ebay hole and man there crazy prices for M. Jordan rookie cards.
    You can get an authenticated and signed Jordan Rookie cor just shy of 20k

A graded 10.0 just sold for 18k

I would recommend you get 9.5 for $7500.00 and save yourself 11,000.00. I'm pretty sure there is such thing as an actual 10.0
  • Options
    The Library of Congress has acquired the long hidden Jerry Lewis movie "The Day the Clown Cried" from Lewis. It won't show the movie for at least 10 years.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

The Library of Congress has acquired the long hidden Jerry Lewis movie "The Day the Clown Cried" from Lewis. It won't show the movie for at least 10 years.

Well, maybe this will tide you over until then.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    My Gawd. Is that Steve Bartkowski's music?

I was barely even alive when that game was played, but I love watching falcons Legend Steve Bartkowski though. If I ever goto the national sports collectors convention the #10 is a top 3 jersey I'm hunting for.
  • Options
    I just sent my first quote to a prospective customer.

Feels good.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

Feels good.

Who'd you quote? Shakespeare? Sun Tzu? Churchill?

Oh God, you didn't quote Hunter S. Thompson, did you? That never goes well!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

Feels good.

HA!

Actually, to quote HST in CO. might be a good option.
  • Options
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Feels good.

HA!

When the going gets weird...
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Feels good.

HA!

When the going gets weird...
    The weird make Scones.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I was in an ebay hole and man there crazy prices for M. Jordan rookie cards.
    You can get an authenticated and signed Jordan Rookie cor just shy of 20k

A graded 10.0 just sold for 18k

I would recommend you get 9.5 for $7500.00 and save yourself 11,000.00. I'm pretty sure there is such thing as an actual 10.0

It's mind blowing what things go for on ebay...

• Options
    That's nuts, bt so is someone spending 18k on a card.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

Via the J.R.R. Tolkien Facebook page:

“We are ready to announce the world first publication of a previously unknown work of fantasy by J.R.R. Tolkien, which tells the powerful story of a doomed young man who is sold into slavery and who swears revenge on the magician who killed his father. The Story of Kullervo is the first piece of prose fiction that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and is released on the 27th August.”
  • Options
    Well boys hopefully I'll be able to head to the coast for a little fishing this weekend. I love saltwater fishing more than just about anything.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2015

“We are ready to announce the world first publication of a previously unknown work of fantasy by J.R.R. Tolkien, which tells the powerful story of a doomed young man who is sold into slavery and who swears revenge on the magician who killed his father. The Story of Kullervo is the first piece of prose fiction that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and is released on the 27th August.”

I swear, some times I think that when they've finished unearthing every last scrap of paper and cocktail napkin Tolkien scribbled something about middle-earth on, they are going to exhume him, stick a pen in his hand and make him continue to "write". He's more prolific than Tupac.
  • Options

I swear, some times I think that when they've finished unearthing every last scrap of paper and cocktail napkin Tolkien scribbled something about middle-earth on, they are going to exhume him, stick a pen in his hand and make him continue to "write". He's more prolific than Tupac.
    Or Hendrix.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Go Set a Hobbit.

I just can't get excited for another lost work of Tolkien. I've got a shelf full of them.

Edit: I want the Jets to take up Jared Lorenzen's offer to bring him into camp. He might not be able to run the 40 or make the weight but the Pillsbury Throwboy can probably still make a better qb than Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith.

Edit Edit: the NFL says the only way it will settle is if Tom Brady accepts the findings of the Wells Report.
    As a nonpartisan in what amounts to the most ridiculous NFL "scandal" in my lifetime, i say it is more probable than not that had the NFL used a little common sense and a tad bit of science they wouldn't have needed to spend 3.5 million on a useless investigation.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Go Set a Hobbit.

Respect.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    At the D23 expo they had bad news and good news.

Bad Cars 3 is coming.

Good the Incredibles 2 is coming
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I didn't know there was a Bad Cars 1 & 2. ;)
  • Options
    Of course Cars 3 is coming.

Why is that bad news?

Will you be forced at gunpoint to watch it?

As I've mentioned before, Cars toys outsell all other Pixar-derived toys combined. Not making more movies would be an insane business decision. And the Cars merchandise income helps subsidize risky projects like Inside Out.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited August 2015
    As someone who once worked for a Nascar die-cast car company in direct sales, who had to deal with daily phone calls from Nascar die-hards who wanted to know when the next Dale Earnhardt or Dale Jarrett car was coming out or did I know that Jeff Gordon was a wife-swapping atheist for what he did at Talledega this year and how much of a sumbitch I was for making such limited editions of these cars which they planned to use as a retirement fund or to put their grandkids through college on...

...and as a result has grown to hate...with the passion of a thousand suns...anything remotely involved with Nascar, its participants, or its fanbase...as that person...

...I'm with what WetRats said. :)

Cars may not be my cuppa, but it's a big seller for Disney. They're fools not to keep that train rolling, as sure as there's gonna be a Toy Story 4.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

As someone who once worked for a Nascar die-cast car company in direct sales, who had to deal with daily phone calls from Nascar die-hards who wanted to know when the next Dale Earnhardt or Dale Jarrett car was coming out or did I know that Jeff Gordon was a wife-swapping atheist for what he did at Talledega this year and how much of a sumbitch I was for making such limited editions of these cars which they planned to use as a retirement fund or to put their grandkids through college on...

Damn.

To quote @David_D: Respect.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    WetRats said:

Why is that bad news?

As I've mentioned before, Cars toys outsell all other Pixar-derived toys combined. Not making more movies would be an insane business decision. And the Cars merchandise income helps subsidize risky projects like Inside Out.

It's just my least favorite of the Pixar oeuvre. Truthfully I'm not that thrilled about Toy Story 4 or Finding Dory either, though I'll definitely see both. And I understand these pay the bills. I just hope Inside Out and (hopefully )the Good Dinosaur are sign of Pixar going back to the original film route
  • Options
    DAR said:

WetRats said:

Why is that bad news?

It's just my least favorite of the Pixar oeuvre. Truthfully I'm not that thrilled about Toy Story 4 or Finding Dory either, though I'll definitely see both. And I understand these pay the bills. I just hope Inside Out and (hopefully )the Good Dinosaur are sign of Pixar going back to the original film route
    As long as The Brain Trust is around, I see them as continuing to give us a good mix of new and returning characters.