Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    As posted by a fellow Cubs fan elsewhere, those boys are playing at a Super Saiyan level.

Trying to keep the optimism up. We Cubs fans have a bad habbit of waiting/expecting for the bottom to fall out. Enjoy the present, ignore everything else.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

I blame @Torchsong for all the money I've spent on James Owens kickstarter projects. I just got a survey and I always get excited about Owens projects.

It's never a crime to spend money on something really really good.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

I blame @Torchsong for all the money I've spent on James Owens kickstarter projects. I just got a survey and I always get excited about Owens projects.

Did you order any of his coloring books or the meditations series he just kick-started?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited May 2016
    fredzilla said:

I decided to try Scooby Apocalypse #2 and Future Quest #2 in this month's DCBS order since I ordered the #1's last month. But this morning I got a couple of emails stating that DC increased the price of each from $2.99 to $3.99.

DC, I'm not going to play this game with you. I dropped both books like a hot potato.

I just got an email #6 in the last two months concerning a DC change. 5 have been price increases, one was the Starman omnibuse cx.

Prior to the recent happenings, I probably only got 3 or 4 of these emails over the last 5 years.

It is not the end of the world, but it is annoying.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

Did you order any of his coloring books or the meditations series he just kick-started?
    Not the coloring books no. The Meditation series I may have to look into. I've had to really REALLY pare down my kickstarter spending...every potential backing has to go through an NFL Combine level evaluation with me now. :)
  • Options
    I'll let you know about the meditations books once they get here
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

fredzilla said:

I decided to try Scooby Apocalypse #2 and Future Quest #2 in this month's DCBS order since I ordered the #1's last month. But this morning I got a couple of emails stating that DC increased the price of each from $2.99 to $3.99.

DC, I'm not going to play this game with you. I dropped both books like a hot potato.

I just got an email #6 in the last two months concerning a DC change. 5 have been price increases, one was the Starman omnibuse cx.

Prior to the recent happenings, I probably only got 3 or 4 of these emails over the last 5 years.

Same thing happened to me on that Neal Adams omnibus, it seems it's (almost) always DC. I quickly jumped on Amazon and found it cheaper. Less than a buck more than the original solicited price, but far cheaper than the new increased price.

Then, when it was about to ship, Amazon notified me about a price change, it dropped. I hate to love Amazon, but it helped me not hate on DC, that time. Check Amazon for that Starman Omni and if it's lower there you may be able to cancel your order if you still have time.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

fredzilla said:

Same thing happened to me on that Neal Adams omnibus, it seems it's (almost) always DC. I quickly jumped on Amazon and found it cheaper. Less than a buck more than the original solicited price, but far cheaper than the new increased price.

Then, when it was about to ship, Amazon notified me about a price change, it dropped. I hate to love Amazon, but it helped me not hate on DC, that time. Check Amazon for that Starman Omni and if it's lower there you may be able to cancel your order if you still have time.
    The Starman omni was actually cancelled. It was the softcover vol 3 omnibus. It was resolicted from a few years ago and now officially (and it looks like permanently) got cancelled. The preorder numbers must have been terrible. I have the first two softcover omni's and the reat of the series in regular trade. I was hoping to get the whole series in this softcover omni format with better paper. Not sure if I want to go search out the hardcover omni's.
  • Options
    Oh - that's too bad. I know remember hearing about that on another website. Guess DC hasn't much choice.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I have Starman vols. 1-2, and 4-6 hardcover omnibi. Got them some time ago from DCBS and IST. I've been looking for volume 3, checking eBay every once in a while to see if an affordable copy shows up. There's a couple up for sale there NOW, but it's apparently the rarest of the series since those copies are selling for $200+. Sometimes I hate my addicti--er... hobby.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I have Starman vols. 1-2, and 4-6 hardcover omnibi. Got them some time ago from DCBS and IST. I've been looking for volume 3, checking eBay every once in a while to see if an affordable copy shows up. There's a couple up for sale there NOW, but it's apparently the rarest of the series since those copies are selling for $200+. Sometimes I hate my addicti--er... hobby.

Hmmm since I like you Fred I'll cut you a deal. $175 for volume 3 and I'll cover the shipping ;)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2016
    Saw this on one of the gaming news sites I frequent. Found it interesting as both a comic fan and 40K player.

ANother article on it.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    There's a petition going on to stop Disney from "paying off critics to give non-MCU films bad reviews". I really have to question how people function in day to day tasks
  • Options
    DAR said:

There's a petition going on to stop Disney from "paying off critics to give non-MCU films bad reviews". I really have to question how people function in day to day tasks

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DAR said:

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Okay this just happened to me:

I got a friend request on Facebook, the guy looked okay (for the record he was from Pakistan) so I friended him. Almost immeditely I start getting private messages from the guy wondering about a job in America. So, I linked him to the online classified ads for the local newspaper....Then he asks if I could forward his resume and VISA documentation to President Obama and asks for my e-mail & phone number.

Suffice to say, I chose to block him.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
  • Options
    The Braves finally fired Freddie Gonzalez. Even though he should have been fired after 2011. I can't blame him for this season, but I can say he always has bad hitting, terrible bullpens, and an allergic reaction to winning in the last 2 months of the season.

Peace out Freddie.
  • Options

I got a friend request on Facebook, the guy looked okay (for the record he was from Pakistan) so I friended him. Almost immeditely I start getting private messages from the guy wondering about a job in America. So, I linked him to the online classified ads for the local newspaper....Then he asks if I could forward his resume and VISA documentation to President Obama and asks for my e-mail & phone number.

Before I changed the privacy settings, I would get the occasional random friend request from someone I did not know. This person was always an incredibly beautiful woman who just joined Facebook and somehow found me. I never accepted the request. My first question is always "why would this beautiful woman want to talk to me?" The answer is always - "To scam me."

Now my privacy settings are that only friends of a current friend can send me a request.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Before I changed the privacy settings, I would get the occasional random friend request from someone I did not know. This person was always an incredibly beautiful woman who just joined Facebook and somehow found me. I never accepted the request. My first question is always "why would this beautiful woman want to talk to me?" The answer is always - "To scam me."

Now my privacy settings are that only friends of a current friend can send me a request.
    You might want to check them again. Facebook changed something in thier last policy update that changed my (and the wife's) privacy settings to public.

I've been on Facebook since it was being tested at colleges and have had the privacy settings set to "friends and friends of friends" since they released in to the general public. So I've never really had @RedRight88 s problem
  • Options
    If I don't know you, I'm not gonna friend you.

And sometimes even knowing you is enough not to friend you. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

If I don't know you, I'm not gonna friend you.

And sometimes even knowing you is enough not to friend you. :)

Ha I'm your Facebook friend so I know your not too picky
  • Options
    @mwhitt80 I just checked my settings a few days ago. My phone had an unintended reset which forced me to redo everything.

My best advice is to keep your friends list small and do not post on public pages. A friend who posts on a lot of pages just commented today about how she routinely gets requests from guys asking her if she wants to see pics of their genitals.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm generally a patient guy, but I get like a little kid when I'm waiting on something awesome i ordered. It's the stupid tracking it gets my hopes up and dashes them Everytime I open my email
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'm packing to move house at the moment. It's really slow going... Because I just HAVE to look through each and every trade before it gets packed. The wife is getting a bit annoyed, but I just can't help myself!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Summer Report 1:
    Summer is here, and I had a good weekend.

Dad, my brother, and I went fishing in the G for the first time this year. I caught the biggest King Mackerel I've ever caught; it was a big fish. Then got greedy with another really good King when he got to the boat I saw a flash behind him and wanted to let my brother try to catch whatever fish 2 was with a fly rod. I loosened the drag on my reel so my king wouldn't pop off, that caused just enough slack for him to look up at me and shake the hook out. Lesson learned: a fish in the cooler is better than 2 in the sea. Ohh well I still ended up with a bunch of meat from my first fish even after we divided it up.

In a more bizarre story my son has had some problems with his breathing, it's always been a little labored, but Sunday it was scary. My wife took him to the ER and they poked, proded, tested, gave him breathing treatments, did everything they could to figure out what was wrong. The doctors were going to send us to a bigger hospital, but before they did they called in a respiratory therapist. Turns out he has had a giant booger obstructing his breathing pathways since he was born. I learned babies only breathe through thier mouths when they are crying, so a raisin sized booger in a 5 week olds nose is a real dangerous situation.Im really not sure he would have survived the night if we didn't take him. He is now breathing better than the day he came home.
  • Options
    Wow. Glad to hear everything's okay with your son. I never really think of boogers as being all that dangerous and yet I guess they can be.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

In a more bizarre story my son has had some problems with his breathing, it's always been a little labored, but Sunday it was scary. My wife took him to the ER and they poked, proded, tested, gave him breathing treatments, did everything they could to figure out what was wrong. The doctors were going to send us to a bigger hospital, but before they did they called in a respiratory therapist. Turns out he has had a giant booger obstructing his breathing pathways since he was born. I learned babies only breathe through thier mouths when they are crying, so a raisin sized booger in a 5 week olds nose is a real dangerous situation.Im really not sure he would have survived the night if we didn't take him. He is now breathing better than the day he came home.

That is bizarre. Glad everything worked out, but now the poor kid is going to be stuck with the nickname “Booger” for the rest of his life.