Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

99¢/Discounted comiXology SALES!

Comments

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2014
    imageimageimage
    Indestructible Hulk #1-10 (I got 1-5 and really liked the story, Walt Simonson on issues 6-8!)
    Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #88-105 (some Planet Hulk stories here)
  • Options
    Grant Morrison's Invisibles is on sale at Comixology.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    imageimage
    Image Comics Eisner Nominee Celebration
    Single Issue Comics for $0.99 & Collections up to 50% Off!

Saga #2-18 (#1 is FREE)*
    Sex Criminals #1-5
    Nowhere Men #1-6*
    Zero #1-6*
    The Manhattan Projects #1-19*
    Rat Queens #1-5*
    Pretty Deadly #1-5
    East of West #1-11*
    Lazarus #1-7*

* = title also has collection(s) available
  • Options
    besides Saga... which one of these eisner nominees is a must-by??

Thanks!
  • Options
    East of West vol. 1 (Hickman) was interesting. Not sure if I'm into the rest of it.
    I've heard great things about Lazarus (Rucka) and I picked them up.
    I've also heard a lot of people liked Sex Criminals (Fraction), but I don't think that's my thing.
    The Manhattan Projects (Hickman) has had a lot of buzz too, but I haven't read it yet.

I think if you like any of the writers above you should enjoy their work here.
  • Options
    ok thanks!
    i'll give lazarus and manhattan projects a shot
  • Options
    weird...

isn't it cheaper to buy individual issues at 0.99 instead of the collections...
  • Options
    just read issue 1 of Manhattan Projects... WOW!!!!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

The Manhattan Projects (Hickman) has had a lot of buzz too, but I haven't read it yet.

Just googled that. Sounds very cool.

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

weird...

isn't it cheaper to buy individual issues at 0.99 instead of the collections...

In some cases. I always try to do the math. Collections sometimes also contains more artwork or extras. Additionally, you don't have to download a bunch of issue to read the story, just one bigger file. Pros and cons to both.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Comixology is funny. I always look at the cost of the individual issues, then the cost of the collected editions, and THEN I always look to see if there are bundles available, which are just the individual issues sold as a group.

Sure, the "collected editions" sometimes have bonus material, but seldom is that material worth extra to me. Your mileage may vary. If I can get the individual issue or a bundle for less for the same material, I will almost always go that direction.

(Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but the downloads of those collected editions vs. individual issues are sometimes HUGE, taking much time and memory on my Surface.)

I like bundle shopping if I'm picking up a big bunch of issues. I've picked up bundles that drive the price down to 85 cents an issue or lower. I am a cheap skinflint of a miser. The less I spend, the happier I am.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    imageimageimageimageSaga #2-18 (#1 is FREE)*
    Sex Criminals #1-5
    Nowhere Men #1-6*
    Zero #1-6*
    The Manhattan Projects #1-19*
    Rat Queens #1-5*
    Pretty Deadly #1-5
    East of West #1-11*
    Lazarus #1-7*

* = title also has collection(s) available
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I bit on the Invincible bundle, which dropped the issues down to around 85 cents an issue. I also picked up Saga, which averaged out to about 94 cents an issue.

(I can already tell that my digital purchases are likely to stay with the sub-99 cent per issue stuff for a while. I am cheap and miserly. This appeals to me.)

I have decided that, as I phase out of physical copies, I will start a "digital pull list" - and try to stick to reading one issue per month of each of those titles. So far, that pull list will last me a minimum of a year, and will include titles like Ultimate Spider-Man, Immortal Iron Fist, Saga, Lemire's Green Arrow, and Invincible.

Which is a pretty cool pull list, so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If you haven't gotten this email you soon will.

Dear Comics Enthusiast,

We have introduced a new comiXology iPhone and iPad Comics app, and we are retiring the old one. All your purchased books will be readable in the new app once you've downloaded it and taken the following steps:
    In the original Comics app, log into your comiXology account.

Sync your in-app purchases to your comiXology account by tapping the Restore button on the Purchases tab.

Download the new comiXology app. This will be your new home for downloading and reading comics.

Start shopping on comixology.com. New purchases will appear in the "In Cloud" tab in our new app.

The thing is, if you have an iOS device, comiXology has disabled in-app purchases, so if you want to purchase new books you'll have to go through their website. I don't know what I'm going to do because I purchase iTunes gift cards to make my purchases. That way I can limit myself per month on what I buy digitally. Not to mention the ease I have right I my phone to make those purchases.

EDIT: They are giving you a $5 voucher (I spend 4-5 times that a month with their sales) for the trouble of porting over everything. Bleeding Cool jumped on this story and there appears to be a lot of people that are not happy. Comic Book Resources also has an article about it.

This also includes Google Play in-app purchases.

• Options
  • Options

Kindle Fire?

I haven't looked yet (my wife has a kindle fire). I imagine it'll be okay because it's part of Amazon's market.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Kindle Fire?

I haven't looked yet (my wife has a kindle fire). I imagine it'll be okay because it's part of Amazon's market.
    This is happening because of the contentious relationship between apple and amazon. It's like how you can buy books for the kindle app through the kindle app. So Apple throws away the #1 grossing app. Or amazon values sticking one to apple and google over the convenience of its customers. Stupid either way.
  • Options
    I don't believe it's anything on Apple's part. Why would they throw away one of their highest grossing apps? It's most definitely Amazon sticking it to Apple and Google. They gotta make money somewhere to pay for all those drones.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    edited April 2014
    Apple gets their 30% cut through their platform. By eliminating in-app purchases, Amazon gets more profit per book.

Agree with Fredzilla, though--I use iTunes gift cards primarily to buy comics. Will have to alter that now.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I don't believe it's anything on Apple's part. Why would they throw away one of their highest grossing apps? It's most definitely Amazon sticking it to Apple and Google. They gotta make money somewhere to pay for all those drones.

The only reason I think it could be partly on Apple is that they made Amazon shut down purchases on its kindle app to keep it from competing with iBooks. This could fall under that decision since iBooks and Newsstand both sell comics. It's sordid and bad for us no matter what.
  • Options

fredzilla said:

The only reason I think it could be partly on Apple is that they made Amazon shut down purchases on its kindle app to keep it from competing with iBooks. This could fall under that decision since iBooks and Newsstand both sell comics. It's sordid and bad for us no matter what.
    Ah ha! Got it! I do remember something about the iBook/kindle debacle. Perchance this was Amazon cutting Apple off at the pass.

I've also seen numerous tweets about how much better this will serve creators, however, I'm sure Amazon is still going to find a way to take its 30% cut.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    They're gonna lose business with me for sure. I only brought through the app. Not happy with this new app.
  • Options
    comiXology went all Diamond Distribution. :-?
  • Options
    ravenraven Posts: 41
    I can still download & buy comics off the image comics app, seems like IDW's works too
  • Options
    I don't mind since I purchase all my digital books through my friends comixology shop...
  • Options
    Did anyone else get an email for free $5 worth of books?
  • Options
    In another thread: 3 years of dark horse digital sale everything 50 off Only a few hours left but I just got 30+ book for about 20. Don't be stupid like me and remember to use the coupon code!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Turns out since I have a Nook HD+ I am not affected by this. I can still use my app to buy. I was able to download everything with one click. I was confused by the Google Play issue since I got my app from Google Play. Still a great deal of people can not be happy about this.