Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    I just finished rereading two of Steve Gerber's classics: Howard The Duck and the Man-Thing, both in the b&w Essential volumes. (Not as satisfying as having the stories in color, but a great way to see the line art 'unplugged'.) Gerber at his best, at turns cynical and hopeful, and a deft handling of traditional horror or comedy while dealing out social criticism. I also admire the way he would alternate between the smaller, 'real' stories about ordinary folks interacting with either Howie or Manny, and the larger 'epic' storylines. Classic stuff; how I miss his writing. (Fortunately, I've got the new Infernal Man-Thing mini to look forward to.)
  • Options
    Greg said:

Hawkeye #1. It may not be the "best" single issue I've read, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Matt Fraction has done a good job of making me dislike all of the other Marvel stuff he has touched, so when this was announced I had absolutley no intention of even giving it a glance. I was in the lcs yesterday when the owner brought it up when we were chatting, so I grabbed it and immediately fell for the art and picked it up. I loved the story. I have some issues with how the the Russian's were potrayed, but other than that I really did enjoy it. Matt Fraction proved me wrong.

If the styles of presentation, writing, format and art stays consistant from issue to issue, I'm in long term. However, I'm in this more for Aja than I am Fraction. If/when Aja is done with the series, I probably am also.

Totally agree with you on this. Loved the first issue and really enjoyed the art. Fractions name usually makes me uninterested but this issue really interested in the story, even though he didn't pull out his bow once. Sort of reminded me of the first issue of Daredevil by Waid. Though there might have been a few too many bros lol....
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Fraction can be hit or miss for me but or all the Marvel Archetects he is the one that hits most often.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hawkeye #1.

Good God A'mighty that was some nice art!

Pure Comic-y Goodness™!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Totally agree with you on this. Loved the first issue and really enjoyed the art. Fractions name usually makes me uninterested but this issue really interested in the story, even though he didn't pull out his bow once. Sort of reminded me of the first issue of Daredevil by Waid. Though there might have been a few too many bros lol....
    Bro! I know, right bro? I hear ya bro. Bro, that annoyed the hell out of me bro.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Hawkeye #1.

Good God A'mighty that was some nice art!

Pure Comic-y Goodness™!
    Couldn't agree more. The art was the whole reason I even gave it a try.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I just finished rereading two of Steve Gerber's classics: Howard The Duck and the Man-Thing, both in the b&w Essential volumes. (Not as satisfying as having the stories in color, but a great way to see the line art 'unplugged'.) Gerber at his best, at turns cynical and hopeful, and a deft handling of traditional horror or comedy while dealing out social criticism. I also admire the way he would alternate between the smaller, 'real' stories about ordinary folks interacting with either Howie or Manny, and the larger 'epic' storylines. Classic stuff; how I miss his writing. (Fortunately, I've got the new Infernal Man-Thing mini to look forward to.)

I am a huge fan of Gerber's 70s Marvel work. His run on The Defenders is also great.
  • Options
    Hypernaturals #2

This series is just trippy/futuristic sci-fi enough to keep me mildly confused but COMPLETELY entertained. It has a hot female character who I INSTANTLY adored seconds after her appearance in the book. The powers of a couple of the characters are nuts/futuristic and some of which I've NEVER seen before. Art is great. Overall it's shaping up to be a pretty sick series.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I am a huge fan of Gerber's 70s Marvel work. His run on The Defenders is also great.

No argument there! Although he didn't create the team or the concept, he left an indelible stamp on the series and pretty much made it his during his run. Headmen, Nebulon, Bozos and baby deer, when I think of classic Defenders, it's Gerber's Defenders that comes to mind.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

No argument there! Although he didn't create the team or the concept, he left an indelible stamp on the series and pretty much made it his during his run. Headmen, Nebulon, Bozos and baby deer, when I think of classic Defenders, it's Gerber's Defenders that comes to mind.

Yeah same with me. Now I do like the David Kraft run almost as much.
  • Options
    The Grackle #1

From Acclaim Comics short lived Crime Fiction line. Written by Mike Baron and great b/w artwork from Paul Gulacy. This is what modern crime comics should be. Well paced story with nice moody artwork.
  • Options
    Oh thats a fun one, but Id have to say its Batman issue 8, Im catcing up with digital comics and just love issue 8. comic geek speak has actually gotten me back in to the Batman fold with their high praise of the book. I had to try it out and am happy I did. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Have to agree with the love for Hawkeye #1. It was stylish and fun in a way that most big 2 comics usually aren't.

I was also really surprised by Avengers vs X-Men #9. I've been enjoying it from the start, but this was one of those stories where Spidey really puts himself on the line in a fight where the stakes are WAY bigger than he usually deals with, and he really takes a pounding as a result, but he carries on somehow because it was, to paraphrase what he told Hope, his time at bat. It stands with his fights with Juggernaut and Firelord in my eyes.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I really liked Angel and Faith #12 really liking where this comic is going right now, i'm only on the top of my stack for my DCBS order so who knows if it'll get trumped this week or not
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

Daredevil #7. A newly discovered series for me, I wish I'd hopped on at the beginning. I have been reading the back issues and can say this issue was worthy of the Eisner it won for best single issue.
  • Options
    Beasts Of Burden: Neighborhood Watch #1 - by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson. Stories about neighborhood pets who protect their owners from the supernatural; charming and scary all at the same time.
  • Options
    The Fury of Firestorm #18 1982. I was 9 when this came out. I was looking over the art and damn was it good. There was cool action-ey stuff on almost every page. Here is a question though. It seems like super popular teenage hero Ronnie Raymond would have been an amazing fit in the Teen Titans or at least in a crossover of some kind but I don't think that ever happened. Any idea why? That seems like a natural win to me.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I didn't really expect to like this, but so far it's been Avengers Assemble #8! That Rocket Racoon is SO funny! ( I guess Bendis writes him pretty well...)
  • Options
    Those early Firestorm issues were draw by Rodin Rodriguez btw.
  • Options
    I expect that Firestorm wasn't much involved with the Titans because he was already a member of the JLA.
  • Options
    That's exactly my point! Isn't it odd he bypassed all the other teen characters and went straight to the League?
  • Options
    Not that odd. Gerry Conway, the creator of Firestorm, was writing both books.

Besides, at the time that Firestorm joined the JLA, the Titans weren't really all that notable. They'd had two less-than-stellar runs and weren't really all that hot or noteworthy a property, certainly not as prospectively high-concept as the JLA, which had its own TV show (the various incarnations of Super-Friends), which at one point included Firestorm. The Titans didn't rise to any degree of fan popularity until a few years later, when Wolfman & Perez revived and revitalized the series. If Firestorm had come along after that point, he might well have wound up with the Titans.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Preacher #50

Ennis does great war stories. And really manages to capture the insanity that happens in the battlefield. Plus the artwork is as good as the story. The details in the jungle and the uniforms are well done.
  • Options
    Archer and Armstrong #1 (the current series). I could not have imagined a better first issue to a series. Don't know anything about the original but I am excited for this current version.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Batman beyond unlimited #6. Damn this series is just fantastic. Maybe the best book coming from DC IMO.
    If you enjoyed the JLU and related cartoons, you have to check it out.
    I do kindve wish they mimicked the Bruce timm art style though since its so tied into the continuity of the show.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Well after the 3 part Daredevil miniarc w/ Punisher & Spider-Man on to more Daredevil, to be more accurate issues 12 through 15 all 5 out 5 rating. A twist here & there and like a comic rollacoster that never ends it gives the reader a sustained high after getting off the ride. Then we swing on over DC with Batman to the end of the Owls storyline with issue 11. It wrapped neat w/ very few minor questions but a thrill to with another 5. Then we move to Batwoman 11, well the art great & I understand the last few pages towards the epilogue anything before it I have no freaking clue, a low low 4. Is it too late for DC to call Rucka please? Then we close out on everyone's favorite BKV & Staples Saga #5. Marko is the peace guy but alot of blood is spilled from the first page to the very last. Yes BKV hooks us w/ entertaining & meaningful dialogue (hmm Batwoman you taking notes yet) anyway this too is a superb 5.

If you asked me which one do I like more, Synder's Batman, Waid's Daredevil or BKV/Staples Saga. I must confess even as the guy legally blinded in one eye sharing his thoughts on comics Saga takes the prize. Saga is the 5 graded on a curve that is going beyond what is just required & making it fun to read comics for adults. Batman & Daredevil are not bad books but between the three you go with the one that hooked you in the the most & Saga did its job for this reader entertained w/ maximum results.

I am still reading Frank Miller's Daredevil Omnibus well over halfway done but everyday life gets in the way, even on weekends but I am making progress.

Matthew
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited August 2012
    dubbat138 said:

American Flagg! special #1

Written and drawn by Howard Chaykin this is his introduction to his Time2 graphic novel. Reuben Flagg falls asleep watching tv and gets transported to the world of Time2. Pretty interesting idea that would have made a good monthly series. But from what I can remember there was only one or two Time2 graphic novels.

2, IIRC. I don't really recall the Flagg story. Was this a short comic story that appeared in the same book as T2? Sounds vaguely familiar. Did they release it as a 1 shot? or what?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Greg said:

Hawkeye #1. It may not be the "best" single issue I've read, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Matt Fraction has done a good job of making me dislike all of the other Marvel stuff he has touched, so when this was announced I had absolutley no intention of even giving it a glance. I was in the lcs yesterday when the owner brought it up when we were chatting, so I grabbed it and immediately fell for the art and picked it up. I loved the story. I have some issues with how the the Russian's were potrayed, but other than that I really did enjoy it. Matt Fraction proved me wrong.

If the styles of presentation, writing, format and art stays consistant from issue to issue, I'm in long term. However, I'm in this more for Aja than I am Fraction. If/when Aja is done with the series, I probably am also.

I read this last night and found it pretty enjoyable, as well. Not sure how they're going to make a series out of this though. I also liked the Aja art - much different from his Iron Fist work, but still good. Is he trying a new style? Or is it just a drastically different inker?

e
    L nny

• Options
    Avengers #29 (or was it New Avengers #29? I forget). The Illuminati meet in the middle of the AvX stuff. Thought this was a really nice done-in-one story in the middle of the massive story. Great interactions between the characters.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

dubbat138 said:

American Flagg! special #1

Written and drawn by Howard Chaykin this is his introduction to his Time2 graphic novel. Reuben Flagg falls asleep watching tv and gets transported to the world of Time2. Pretty interesting idea that would have made a good monthly series. But from what I can remember there was only one or two Time2 graphic novels.

2, IIRC. I don't really recall the Flagg story. Was this a short comic story that appeared in the same book as T2? Sounds vaguely familiar. Did they release it as a 1 shot? or what?

e
    L nny

It was a full length comic with Reuben Flagg visiting the world of Time2. It might have been longer than a standard comic.