Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Classics Illustrated #4 Last of the Mohicans

This is a nice adaptation of the classic novel. No credits listed in the issue or on ComicbookDB so I have no idea who did the artwork. But it looks great for it's era. Plus the painted cover is also well done.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    dubbat138 said:

It was a full length comic with Reuben Flagg visiting the world of Time2. It might have been longer than a standard comic.

Cool...I'm reasonably sure I own this but can barely remember it - the cover rings a bell tho:

e
    L nny
  • Options

As far as I know this is the only crossover with Mark Grunwald's epic Squadron Supreme mini series. Nighthawk comes over to the 616 universe to find some help fighting off the fascist Squadron. Three of his villians also cross over and by the end of the story they all team up once they get back to their home universe. I love most of Grunwald's run on Cap and the artwork from Paul Neary is good.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Spidermen #4

I don't know if you're not an Ultimate Spider-man fan if it would be the same but this comic was almost perfect in my eyes. And it has something very special for normal universe Spider-man fans as well
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hawkeye #2 - takes everything I enjoyed about the first issue and cranks it up a few more notches of awesome to make this a really fun superhero/caper hybrid book. Really enjoyed the interplay between Clint and Kate Bishop, I hope she becomes a fixture in this.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    No Spoilers here but I just read the #12 issues of Wonder Woman, Red Hood and Aquaman and they were ALL jaw-droppers. If I had any doubts about the potential of the New 52, these three issues quashed it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Torchsong said:

No Spoilers here but I just read the #12 issues of Wonder Woman, Red Hood and Aquaman and they were ALL jaw-droppers. If I had any doubts about the potential of the New 52, these three issues quashed it.

wait...doesn't that Aquaman end with soemthing like "I'm going to kill Black Manta!" ? i found that a little anticlimatice because...well, Arthur has been saying some variation of that for 4 issues...
  • Options
    Did anyone read Detective #0 this week? I finally got to my pile today and was enthralled with it. It was basically the first half of Batman Begins, but it was so good. Just some really striking scenes, very good art, fantastic dialogue and Alfred kicking some ass!
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Hawkeye #2 - takes everything I enjoyed about the first issue and cranks it up a few more notches of awesome to make this a really fun superhero/caper hybrid book. Really enjoyed the interplay between Clint and Kate Bishop, I hope she becomes a fixture in this.

I just read #1 of this and loved it so much I had to buy #2 off the shelf, havent read it yet but looked through it, glad to hear its more of the same
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Hawkeye #2, Fraction is going to make me a fan if he keeps this up.
  • Options
    Fairest # 7, I am a die hard Fables fan but over the last year have almost completely lost interest. This issue got me right back into being in love with the Fables U. Also an awesome single issue tale.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    JamieD said:

I just read #1 of this and loved it so much I had to buy #2 off the shelf, havent read it yet but looked through it, glad to hear its more of the same

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Was going to trade-wait on this, but decided to go for the monthly instead and had it added to my pull list this week.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'd really like to have seen more of Dial H set in what i assume was a couple of thousand years ago. I've lost interest in this title now. I want to see more of the ancient DCnU. Hopefully we'll get some of that with Sword of Sorcery next week. Phantom Stranger looks like it could be interesting though.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    ultimate x-men is still going strong with #15 i think it was, they have a few issues where they go in different directions about different people but the main story with kitty, and iceman and rogue and wolverine's kid is really going well, the divided we fall arc has been pretty good so far
  • Options
    The latest Invincible. I love that book, and I did not see that ending coming.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    Punk Rock Jesus #3. 'Twas awesome.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Men O War #1. Wish I would have picked it up from the start. Luckily I have the site that shall not be named as backup
  • Options
    Resurection Man 0. Was a great last issue. Left me wanting more!
  • Options
    echo the Hawkeye love... great tandem by Aja and Fraction!
  • Options
    Fables #70

Sat down last night and read Fables issues 53-70 and wow! The storyline with flycatcher was well done. And I loved the ending of issue 70.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    lite week this week but a couple of real standouts. I agree with the love Hawkeye has been getting and i liked both of the Batman and Batgirl zero issues. in fact every zero issue i have read has been good. Dial H opened a really interesting can of worms with the idea (SPOILERS) that these hero's all exist somewhere out in the multi-verse and when they are "dialed up" their power and to a lesser degree their personality are drained out of that reality and they are left temporarily powerless. wow. i'd like to see that explored more.
  • Options
    Earth 2 #0: I only had time for two comics this week, so I went with two that I was thinking about dropping, one being Earth 2. This was by far the best issue of the series to this point. I get the feeling that it might have been the first issue Robinson wrote, and it gives me hope for the series.
  • Options
    Animal Man 69

This was a quiet issue for the series. Buddy daughter wanders off during a snowstorm and Buddy and Cliff go out to look for her. Steve Pugh does a great job on the art and Jamie Delano's script is good. Pretty sure this was a lead up issue to the Children's Crusade. Which was a crossover between pretty much all the Vertigo titles. It is also where the Books of Magic series kind of got it's start.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Wonder Woman 0

Not only a great issue but written and drawn with a nice nod to past storytelling techniques. Hell, it even has thought bubbles. Also love how they've reinvented the Greek pantheon over the last year.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    More Than Meets the Eye Annual 2012, this series just keeps getting better and better. Skullkickers #17, and Star Trek/Dr. Who #4 continue to deliver. Pathfinder #1, this is what the D & D comics over at IDW should be.
  • Options
    Can't pick between justice league 0 and sword and sorcery 0 for this week. Was good to finally see billy Bateson become SHAZAM. But sword or sorcery really pulled me in and Beowulf looked really interesting too. Two great 0 issues from dc this week.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    luke52 said:

Can't pick between justice league 0 and sword and sorcery 0 for this week. Was good to finally see billy Bateson become SHAZAM. But sword or sorcery really pulled me in and Beowulf looked really interesting too. Two great 0 issues from dc this week.

JL#0 for me.
    Which is sad, cuz I just cut JL from my pull list (my last remaining DC title). The only thing interesting about the book for me was the SHAZAM back up! LOVED that final panel with Freddy and Cap. Anyone know if Captain Marvel (sorry, "Shazam") is going to get his own title, or is he trapped in the pages of Justice League? Hope so, because I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Really loved the All Star Western 0 issue this week. It was cool to see jonahs past. I picked up the first six of these but had to drop it for financial reasons. Really need to get back on this one. Great issue.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Really loved the All Star Western 0 issue this week. It was cool to see jonahs past. I picked up the first six of these but had to drop it for financial reasons. Really need to get back on this one. Great issue.

I haven't read much of my stack this week, but I opened this thread so I could mention ASW 0, too. I've stuck with the series (it's one of my favourites), and it was the best issue in a while.