Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    Hellblazer 299. It breaks my heart that it's ending and becoming "Constantine," but the ending has been a wonderful ride. The cliffhanger (I won't spoil it for those who haven't read yet for whatever reason) was amazing! It edges out Mind MGMT 7 only because it will probably take the entire arc's unfolding before I finally get what the book was all about in the first place.
  • Options
    The Simpsons #198 -- in which Bart lives out Homer's dream of becoming a spokesman for Lard Boy Doughnuts, and Ralph Wiggum gets to say "Off with my head!" Funniest read all week.
  • Options
    Savage Wolverine #1. I hadn't read anything by Frank Cho before. I've never been that interested in solo Wolverine stuff, so my expectations were pretty low. It was good stuff. It doesn't feel like an ongoing, though apparently it is. I'll be picking this up for a while.
  • Options
    First X-Men #5 -- Neal Adams is one of my all-time favorite comic book artists (a close second behind Carmine Infantino), but I find a lot of his recent work to be lacking the magic and the punch they once had, and this series is no different. Adams turns in a professional job, no question, but it suffers from a lack of experimentation and a selection of over-reverent inkers who feel obliged to ink each and every sketch line without the effort of a critical assessment. The days of Dick Giordano inking Adams is, sadly, long past, but, oh, how I would have loved to have seen Tom Palmer finish this art!

Even so, Adams at his worse is still worlds above most other artists, and he still turns in a credible, if not a memorable, job on this series. He also writes the story, along with co-author Christos Gage (who has obviously smoothed over Adams' rough spots) and does a surprisingly decent job of it. The mini-series tells an unknown story of how Wolverine and Sabertooth attempt to find and protect as many emerging young mutants as they can, and teach them to survive in an increasingly anti-mutant world -- in the days before Charles Xavier founded the X-Men!

I usually view this type of story with trepidation, because they too often feel 'crammed in' or rewrite key canonical points in a series' history. But although I was sitting on the fence for most of the series, the last issue wins me over. We see the reasons why Wolverine couldn't pull it off, how and why his bloodfeud with Sabertooth began, how FBI Special Agent Duncan (a semi-regular character in the early Lee-Kirby issues) came to play an important role in the development of the X-Men, and what finally pushed Charles Xavier into opening his school for gifted children. We even see the beginnings of the plans for the Sentinels and a segue into the Weapon X stories. The mini-series actually works as a serviceable prelude to the original X-Men series by Lee and Kirby, and the final issue convinces me that this is a very solid 'buy'.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited January 2013
    @Chuck_Melville : nice review - and one that makes me want to read the issues now

edit: just went to comiXology and the issues are still 3.99 each :-O - will wait.....
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

First X-Men #5 -- Neal Adams is one of my all-time favorite comic book artists (a close second behind Carmine Infantino), but I find a lot of his recent work to be lacking the magic and the punch they once had, and this series is no different. Adams turns in a professional job, no question, but it suffers from a lack of experimentation and a selection of over-reverent inkers who feel obliged to ink each and every sketch line without the effort of a critical assessment. The days of Dick Giordano inking Adams is, sadly, long past, but, oh, how I would have loved to have seen Tom Palmer finish this art!

Even so, Adams at his worse is still worlds above most other artists, and he still turns in a credible, if not a memorable, job on this series. He also writes the story, along with co-author Christos Gage (who has obviously smoothed over Adams' rough spots) and does a surprisingly decent job of it. The mini-series tells an unknown story of how Wolverine and Sabertooth attempt to find and protect as many emerging young mutants as they can, and teach them to survive in an increasingly anti-mutant world -- in the days before Charles Xavier founded the X-Men!

I usually view this type of story with trepidation, because they too often feel 'crammed in' or rewrite key canonical points in a series' history. But although I was sitting on the fence for most of the series, the last issue wins me over. We see the reasons why Wolverine couldn't pull it off, how and why his bloodfeud with Sabertooth began, how FBI Special Agent Duncan (a semi-regular character in the early Lee-Kirby issues) came to play an important role in the development of the X-Men, and what finally pushed Charles Xavier into opening his school for gifted children. We even see the beginnings of the plans for the Sentinels and a segue into the Weapon X stories. The mini-series actually works as a serviceable prelude to the original X-Men series by Lee and Kirby, and the final issue convinces me that this is a very solid 'buy'.

In regards to the inking, Scott Williams said he tried to do his best Dick Giordano to capture that early ’70s Adams look he loved so much as a kid. However, Neal hated it and reinked much of it himself to make it look more like his current work. I don't know if that happened to any of the other inkers, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited January 2013

@Chuck_Melville : nice review - and one that makes me want to read the issues now

edit: just went to comiXology and the issues are still 3.99 each :-O - will wait.....

I think it may have just been offered as a trade, if you want to go that way.

EDIT: The hardcover collection is due out soon for $25; I wouldn't be surprised if a softcover will be solicited soon after.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Justice League 16 for me. Throne of Atlantis storyline us really ramping up now and that last page has me really excited for Aquaman 16 this week. Story is best of the series so far (by a long way) and the Ivan Reis art is just breathtaking. Seriously amazing stuff.

Back up story of SHAZAM is also still great. This book was tagged as the premier DC book in the new 52 and for me it's living up to it.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished off my very first issue from 2000AD and loved it. Prog2013 was in my goodie bag from the Super London comic con. I didn't no what to expect jumping in. But this anthology was packed with some top class comics. I paticularly enjoyed Absalom and Aqulia. I'll be picking up more from 2000AD in the future!
  • Options
    My Little Pony Micro Series #1 - Twilight Sparkle.

Because... it was fun.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801

I read Detective Comics #16 & 17 & Batman #17 from the Death of the Family Storyline. Without spoilers I will give my ratings the Detective arc was better than expected I give a solid 4 out of 5 rating using a "penguin" to give a good scare in Gotham & very underhanded. As for the lead title itself, Batman has moved way beyond the first 12 issues into the DAMN! that was a great read for an arc. I didn't agree w/ every little thing done in this arc but I was entertained. The Joker had his "A game" on and it was played wonderfully to the end. I give Batman a 5 out of 5 rating, Bravo on a job well done from the creative team. I look forward to more very soon.

Matthew
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    All New X-Men #8
  • Options
    Peter Panzerfaust 10. Wiebe and Jenkins are sensational in this title. It pays tribute to the original story of Peter Pan while still managing a vital re-imagining of the tale. If I were an octopus-ape, I'd give it eight sucker covered thumbs up.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Batman beyond unlimited 12 and 13 were fantastic. Just wish the art more closely resembled the Bruce Timm style. The best batman book available and even better if you're a fan of the dcau.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    All-New X-Men #9. I could hardly stand most of his Avengers stuff, but Bendis can do no wrong with the X-Men lately! I'm constantly entertained by every issue of this. The characterizations are on-point and the dialogue and situations crackle with possibilities. And the art. Oh yeah, the art. Immonen is the best team-book superhero artist out right now. I pray that Bendis doesn't revert back to the writer I used to not like, because this is amazing note-perfect stuff on every level. I loved Whedon and Morrison's runs when I read them in trade a few years ago, but month in and month out I haven't been this excited about the X-Men since the '90s.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Superboy/girl/man H'El on Earth crossover can be summed up best as a overcooked pile of a mess. Yes you could eat it, I mean read it but it is easily forgettable when something else better comes along in the new 52. I give the H'El on Earth crossover as a whole a rating of 1.5 out of 5 stars, pass this by & read anything else, you can thank me later.

Next up is the last 5 issues of Morrison's Action Comics run. Is it a challenge? Yes but it is worth it. It balances a look at Clark's past & this current threat that will shake Superman to his very core. The backups are a thrill to read especially the one in Action #17. I will admit you have to pay attention to the details of his run as a whole from the first issue but it does make sense. I felt this series is a solid good read if you are willing to put in the investment of the entire run. I give the last 4 issues of Morrison a 4, pretty good & the oversized finale a 5 out of 5. The journey was worth it for me at least as a Superman fan & reader of the title.

Well I need some rest as I have a new updated mega HUGE Omnibus to read -- Death & Return of Superman Omnibus next.

Matthew
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Green Lantern #19. I know this was supposed to be part of the whole "WTF" thing but I will say there was a moment in here that really made me go "WTF?!" Probably the best issue from the First Lantern story.
  • Options
    East of West. My goodness this book started out amazing. I went back and re-read it twice because the book was so incredible. Hickman has really been doing it for me. Honorable mention: Indestructible Hulk ---Simonson drawing Thor??!! Yes. YEs. YES!
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    @Superchino I loved East of West as well but I will have to say Saga 11 was my favorite issue of the week. My honorable mention was The Private Eye by BKV. These 3 comic books are why I read comics and got me excited about the direction of the medium.
  • Options
    @larry, I completely agree! Saga and Private Eye were fantastic! East of West edged them out on brains and body, and Hulk edged them out purely on heartstrings of mine that are firmly attached to Simonson's run on Thor.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't have a single issue this week. A lot of what I read was really awesome. Batman and Red Robin #19 was fantastic. Same with Batgirl #19. Hawkeye #9 was insane and I really enjoyed Green Lantern Corps #19 and Li'l Gotham #1
  • Options
    Thor. Godbomb. The only thing more awesome than the title is the art---what a gorgeous book! The writing is far from shabby as well; Jason Aaron continues to impress me.
  • Options
    Late to the show with this one, but Princeless #1. Hands down one of THE BEST first issues I have read in a long time.

chris
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Thor. Godbomb. The only thing more awesome than the title is the art---what a gorgeous book! The writing is far from shabby as well; Jason Aaron continues to impress me.

QFT!
  • Options
    Well I read Fatale #11-13 & Saga #11 this morning. Issues 11 & 12 of Fatale were quite good but the 13th issue of Fatale mixed in w/ the western genre that I thought was great. Also Saga #11 was top of my stack from last month's books from DCBS.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I haven't read everything from this week yet, but More Than Meets the Eye #16....bravo James Roberts and IDW. They have taken Transformers to a level I never expected to see and with no backlash from Hasbro.
  • Options
    I still have to read Mind MGMT and East of West from this week, so it's not a fully challenged issue but my favorite was New Avengers 05. I have really enjoyed seeing Reed, T'Challa, McCoy, and Stark in a position too big for their intellects and egos, and I eagerly await each new issue to find out more of this story! Honorable mention to Young Avengers 04, FF 06, and Jupiter's Legacy for their artistic choices this week.
  • Options
    The best single issue I read this past week was Doctor Who: Prisoners Of Time #4. The series is a kind of chainlinked storyline, with each issue spotlighting a different incarnation of the the Doctor, and each issue being a stand-alone adventure -- but each story is linked by the mystery of the disappearance of the Doctor's companions. So far, a well done series, and the fourth issue features the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) encountering (we assume for the first time) the Judoon as they ravage a planet while trying to recover a stolen jewel. Seeing this incarnation of the Doctor along with his companions Leela and K-9 was just fun, as was the story itself. Very high on my list right now. I give this one a 'buy'.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, however, was my least favorite read of the month: Captain Marvel #12. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this series since its start, but, honestly, I'm just not seeing it. I only picked this up because of the impending crossover with the Avengers books, and I was (obviously mistakenly) informed this was part of the crossover. First off, I just don't see Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. She's Ms Marvel, and that role seemed suited to her. Secondly, the new costume is ugly; this was worth throwing away the previous, better designed outfit? Thirdly, I was underwhelmed by the writing; it just couldn't hold my interest. (I may have to reread it just to be sure I didn't miss anything.) Finally, I didn't like the art. There was a really odd quality to Felipe Andrade's rendering that most of the faces he draws look as though there's a plastic bag pulled tightly down over the heads. It's a curious style that seems lost somewhere between Manga and -- well, I'm not sure where else.

To be fair, while I wasn't impressed with the story, I did find the storytelling to be interesting, with the deliberate back and forth between the action with CM and the discussion with the doctors, as I did the inexplicable return of an old Captain Marvel adversary on the last page. I'm committed to this series for the next couple of issues through the crossover, but in general, based on this issue, I'd have to give this series a 'pants'.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If you haven't read Captain Marvel from the beginning, I could see the charm of the book being not easily found for new readers.

As far as Carol taking up the Captain Marvel title, it is something that I'm having trouble getting used to. I understand why the powers that be at Marvel did this, but it still hasn't settled in for me and doesn't seem natural. I also didn't like the new costume but over time I've gotten used to it and now like it quite a bit.

Andrade is Portugese and studied in both Europe and here in the US. His style is very European and there is nothing wrong with not liking it. In his first issue I hard time with it but then I hunted down some of his other work and looked through his blog. Already being a fan of other European artists I very quickly turned around on it and It is not at all what I would expect to see in a Marvel superhero book though.

@Chuck_Melville - Have you been reading Kelly Sue's work in Avengers Assemble and if so how would you compare it to her writing in Captain Marvel?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    @Chuck_Melville - I had high hopes for the new Captain Marvel series. I really like Carol... she has always been one of favourite Avengers. I dropped the title after issue 4. One of the worst books Marvel is producing at the moment. I can't see where all the hype is coming from (other than the marvel marketing office).

@Greg - I thought the last few issues of Avengers Assemble were lacklustre, now I understand why. Anything with Kelly Sue's name on it will be getting a pass from me from now on.