Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Think I've got to go with Animal Man 13 this week. Loving this rot world storyline. Gutted I've got to wait 5 weeks this month to get the next issue.

I picked up Detective this week to see how Layman does on writing duties. As I've only just jumped on I was wondering how does it compare to all the previous issues? I thought it was ok and I'll keep on for another couple months to see how this storyline develops.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I just finished reading up all 55 DC #0 issues. Picking a favorite was hard but I'd say Justice League Dark and Animal Man were my favorites. I think Lemire is firing on all cylinders right now.
  • Options
    Legends of the Dark Knight issue 1 by Damon Lindelof and Jeff Lemire.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    HAWKEYE #3!!! this series just keeps getting better... it's very reader-friendly, even people new to comic books. it's in continuity but it's not bogged down by it. Fraction and Aja are totally in sync on this book. it's just great! give it a try people, even if you're not a fan of the character. it's really just very, very good comics.
  • Options
    Swamp Thing Annual 1 was a great read. Granted it was the only issue I got last week, but still... It was a great tie in to RotWorld and gave us a really good look in to Alec, Abby and Antons past and how their lives intertwine. And it gave us a tantalising glimpse into this weeks swamp thing issue. Loving this book right now!!!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen #4. This comic is one of the best comics being produced today - just a terrific series from top to bottom (sorry, alan!! :^)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Right there with you @demonbear . Hawkeye 3 was the best issue I've read this week. I've also read Talon 1, Robyn Hood 1 and RH 2. All good reads.
  • Options
    Detective #14 was awesome this week. I only started reading Detective at #13, but I'm enjoying what John Layman is doing right now. This week he managed to cram in an exciting story, teasers for Death if the Family, nods to other Batman group titles and,strangely for a Batman book, some laughs.

While the main feature stories have been great these last two weeks, the back ups have been on par or better.

At the moment this is up there as my best value $3.99 book. From what I've read, reviews wise, this is a great improvement from the pre-Layman Detective.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It's a toss-up between All-New X-Men #1, Fantastic Four #1 and Batman #14.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Shang Chi:Master of Kung FuMAX #1

Never even heard of this series but after reading the first issue I now have to track down the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Saga #7 - still frigging amazing
  • Options
    thor: god of thunder by Jason Aaron was by far the best book in a strong week, i am not a thor fan usually but the uniqueness of the story has me hooked ... strong recommeneds to Batman, All New X-men and where is jake ellis as well
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Fantastic Four #1. I've read some bad reviews on it and I don't understand it. It's a set up issue, nothing great yeah, but Fraction did a good job of setting it up. The "continued in FF #1" is going to be the set up for that title, I don't see these books being crossed over as much Hickman's run, at least not in these first arcs.

For long time FF fans, I don't see how you you can't like the story. The FF goes back in time and ends up stuck in the maw of a T-rex and you get some classic FF family squabbling in the middle of it. How can you not like that?!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Greg said:

Fantastic Four #1. I've read some bad reviews on it and I don't understand it. It's a set up issue, nothing great yeah, but Fraction did a good job of setting it up. The "continued in FF #1" is going to be the set up for that title, I don't see these books being crossed over as much Hickman's run, at least not in these first arcs.

For long time FF fans, I don't see how you you can't like the story. The FF goes back in time and ends up stuck in the maw of a T-rex and you get some classic FF family squabbling in the middle of it. How can you not like that?!

Agree!

I'm a sucker for Bagley art, and this had such a great "first family" vibe to it. The panels with Franklin were almost heartbreaking, and Reed's "Trust me." was so ominous. I'm sure this is going to be a killer run.

Having said that...
    All New X-men #1 took the cake for me this past week.
    Originally I thought "what a dumb gimmick for a new X-book", but I picked it up because of the Immonen artwork (how could you not?). By the time I finished the last page, I was hooked.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    luke52 said:

Saga #7 - still frigging amazing

Seconded!
  • Options
    Read a lot a stuff at work yesterday.

ASM #698 goes without saying I think.

Fraction continues to deliver with Hawkeye #4

TF More Than Meets the Eye #11 - First of all, I have never read a TF book that made me laugh out loud and that alone would have done for this issue. But the ending was something I was not expecting. James Roberts delivers stories that are above and beyond typical for TF. This one left me wowwed.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Sword of Sorcery #2 - The Amethyst story has been OK, though the artwork is great. For me, the Beowulf co-feature has been really fun. I'm particularly digging the post-apocalyptic DCU elements.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Sword of Sorcery #2 - The Amethyst story has been OK, though the artwork is great. For me, the Beowulf co-feature has been really fun. I'm particularly digging the post-apocalyptic DCU elements.

Totally agree with you about Beowulf. Loving that story right now. Gone off the boil with Amythyst a bit though. Hoping it picks up in the next couple months.
  • Options
    Comeback #1 was my favorite book of the past week (sorry Amazing Spider-Man)... the plot is basically the same as Looper, except reversed: For those extremely wealthy, there's a company that charges a small fortune to go back in time and save someone you love from dying. The concept is awesome and the story moves at a good pace, I'm really excited for the next issue!
  • Options
    Read Deadpool 1 and 2 today. These are my perfect comics. I love everything about them. Deadpool always cracks me up but you have two extremely funny comedians writing and the art is amazing. Five thumbs up!
  • Options
    Hawkeye #4. It's amazing to me that for each of the first 4 issues I've thought "I love this issue, this is the best issue yet" and yet that was my reaction yet again. Great art (best I've can ever recall from Javier Pullido). Great story. I particularly love all the little touches and details in the story.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Hawkeye #4. It's amazing to me that for each of the first 4 issues I've thought "I love this issue, this is the best issue yet" and yet that was my reaction yet again. Great art (best I've can ever recall from Javier Pullido). Great story. I particularly love all the little touches and details in the story.

e
    L nny

Agreed!
    Even though there have only been 4 issues to date, I think Hawkeye deserves the title of "best series of 2012".
    And I don't even like Hawkeye!
  • Options
    I see that this month's solicitations has a TPB collection of Hawkeye #1-5, plus Young Avengers Presents #6, featuring the Kate Bishop Hawkeye by Fractoin & Alan Davis. Anyone read this stgory? is it on par w/the stuff that's been appearing in Hawkeye?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Hawkeye #5 and Batman #13 and 14.
  • Options
    Swamp Thing #29 of the Alan Moore run. What a truly great issue this was. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read the Moore run, but if you haven't, you really should. The tpb's are great value. Amazing stuff!
  • Options
    Has to be All new X men#3 for me I have been waiting for this series to start as Xmen was what got me into comics all those years ago and it has not disaapointed me. Avengers was also good. I hear great things about Hickman's FF run and Avenegers lived up to that hype.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    ctowner1 said:

I see that this month's solicitations has a TPB collection of Hawkeye #1-5, plus Young Avengers Presents #6, featuring the Kate Bishop Hawkeye by Fractoin & Alan Davis. Anyone read this stgory? is it on par w/the stuff that's been appearing in Hawkeye?

e
    L nny

The Young Avengers story tells you how the two met and why their are now two Hawkeyes running around. If you haven't read it I am not sure it will add a ton more to the Hawkeye story. Since I read that issue years before it did make Kate's appearance in Hawkeye that much sweeter.
  • Options
    spid said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

The Young Avengers story tells you how the two met and why their are now two Hawkeyes running around. If you haven't read it I am not sure it will add a ton more to the Hawkeye story. Since I read that issue years before it did make Kate's appearance in Hawkeye that much sweeter.
    ...and it's ALAN DAVIS, so you pretty much can't lose.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    indestructable hulk #1 is an almost perfect first issue. introduces the characters, establishes the status quo, sets a course for the future and is intersting and exciting. Mark Waid is the dude.
  • Options
    Human Bomb #1 -- the New52's latest mini-series with a new take on the old Quality hero. And this one actually feels right. An updating of an old character that might actually improve upon the original, with art by Jerry Ordway. It's still too early on to definitely say that this is going to be a winner, but it's got a good start going in.