Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best single issue you have read this week

Comments

• Options
    I'll add Action Comics #15 as one of the best comics I've read this week, with its rundown on the 5th dimension wars and origin of the New52 Mr Mxyzptlk; this issue was the most fun I've got out of a DC book all year, and is exciting in the same way that the main Superman book is dull. Boy, am I going to miss Morrison when he leaves the book.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    spid said:

ctowner1 said:

I see that this month's solicitations has a TPB collection of Hawkeye #1-5, plus Young Avengers Presents #6, featuring the Kate Bishop Hawkeye by Fractoin & Alan Davis. Anyone read this stgory? is it on par w/the stuff that's been appearing in Hawkeye?

e
    L nny

The Young Avengers story tells you how the two met and why their are now two Hawkeyes running around. If you haven't read it I am not sure it will add a ton more to the Hawkeye story. Since I read that issue years before it did make Kate's appearance in Hawkeye that much sweeter.
    Well, I was kind of wondering about that, but still, wouldn't buy the issue just for the info - but would buy it if it was a great story (like the 1st 4 issues of hawkeye have been). And, of course, the Alan Davis art is a draw.

e
    L nny
  • Options

Human Bomb #1 -- the New52's latest mini-series with a new take on the old Quality hero. And this one actually feels right. An updating of an old character that might actually improve upon the original, with art by Jerry Ordway. It's still too early on to definitely say that this is going to be a winner, but it's got a good start going in.

To be honest, it wouldn’t be all that hard to improve upon the original. “The Human Bomb” was one of Quality’s more popular strips, but it was far from their best. If I had the budget, I'd definitely check this one out just for Jerry’s artwork. The stuff he’s been posting of Facebook looks fantastic.
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

spid said:

ctowner1 said:

I see that this month's solicitations has a TPB collection of Hawkeye #1-5, plus Young Avengers Presents #6, featuring the Kate Bishop Hawkeye by Fractoin & Alan Davis. Anyone read this stgory? is it on par w/the stuff that's been appearing in Hawkeye?

e
    L nny

The Young Avengers story tells you how the two met and why their are now two Hawkeyes running around. If you haven't read it I am not sure it will add a ton more to the Hawkeye story. Since I read that issue years before it did make Kate's appearance in Hawkeye that much sweeter.
    Well, I was kind of wondering about that, but still, wouldn't buy the issue just for the info - but would buy it if it was a great story (like the 1st 4 issues of hawkeye have been). And, of course, the Alan Davis art is a draw.

e
    L nny
    I wouldn’t say it was a great story, but it was a better than average story, and you know the artwork is great. The tone of the story is quite different than that of Hawkeye, of course. If you like Heinberg’s Young Avengers stories, you'll be satisfied with this one too, I think.
  • Options
    Just finished reading Fantastic Four #2 I just love the way that thos story is going, I am not sure if I am going to be keeping up with. I still have Batman, Batman and Robin, and Batgirl yet however.
  • Options
    Ok just finished Desthstroke and wow!! After 2 writers and 15 issues I finally get a story about a deadly assassin doing a murder for hire!!! Refreshing why did it take so long??
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Caught up with my reading today. Must say it was hard going to pick a best issue this week. I really like the Beowulf story in sword and sorcery. But Amethyst has lost my interest. I'll probably drop this now Beowulf is done.

Liked the first Deathmatch from Boom. I'll pick up the trade of that one.

Throne of Atlantis storyline seems promising.

And Saga. Well that only gets better and better.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Batman and Robin. Patrick Gleason's rendering of the Joker is the creepiest so far.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Hawkeye #6. Loved seeing Aja back on. This issue was great. I laughed a few times and had goosebumps at the end. What a book.
  • Options
    larry said:

Hawkeye #6. Loved seeing Aja back on. This issue was great. I laughed a few times and had goosebumps at the end. What a book.

Totally agree! I'm loving this book!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I am going to jump into the Hawkeye #6 bandwagon. To have a panel that is straight homage to the old Avengers video games from the 90s followed by a straight up 4 panel gag comic strip all integrated neatly into a story. This is easily the best book I am reading lately.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Wonder Woman #15 - Page 6. Let the record show this is the first time I have laughed out loud (with pleasure, not contempt) at the events in a comic in well over a year. Azzarello and Chiang continue to knock it out of the park.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    TF Robots in Disguise #13 - The last page was a holy shite, WTF?!, jaw dropping moment.

I know that I've said this before, multiple times, but I'm saying it again....

Forget for a moment that this is a Transformers book. Both this book and More Than Meets the Eye are two of the biggest sleepers of 2012. I think because they are licensed books, that hurts it getting recognition outside the TF fanbase. James Roberts and John Barber are putting out some crazy good stories and I would put them up there in the list of todays best comic writers. If these stories were not wrapped up in a TF cover, I really do think we'd hearing a lot more about them.

If you are a G1 Transformers fan and you are not reading these, shame on you. If you are not a TF fan, you're missing out on some good reading.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Thor, God of Thuner #4
    It's awesome in its awesomeness.
  • Options
    New Avengers #1.

Wasn't sure where they were going to go with this title, since the previous incarnations had been about Luke Cage's (more or less) street-side Avengers. This time we're going with Black Panther assembling the Illuminati to battle a threat from an alternate universe -- and, considering how he gave the Illuminati the cold shoulder at their inception, that's got to really stick in his craw. Not to mention that said group includes Namor, who's not exactly on Wakanda's favorite people list, so there's bound to be quite a bit of tension and aggravation there.

The first issue is all Panther, setting up the story arc and introducing the threat. We also get an ominous opening page of Reed Richards talking about accepting death, which augers ill for the near-future. It's a great opening, with terrific work from both Hickman and Epting, and, thus far, if it can keep up this degree of quality, it looks to be the best of the new Avengers books.

It almost makes up for the first couple of issues of Avengers Arena.
  • Options
    Agree, @Chuck_Melville - solid 1st issue for New Avengers!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Earth 2 just keeps getting better and better for me.

RotWorld is ramping up too. Loving that story.
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    This week? Batman 16.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I read Batman & Detective Comics #13-15 of the Death of the Family crossover. It is quality reading. I was impressed by Layman's issues on Detective since he was not far from Synder's highbar that set for him. Batman #12's art by Becky Cloonan however was very lackluster for a superhero comic.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited January 2013
    Batman #16. Aside from that Star Wars #1. Oh, and Captain Marvel #9, Filipe Andrade is awesome,
  • Options
    Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters. Brought back fond memories of the classic cartoon and comics of the real ghostbusters. Always enjoyed Mars Attacks, although haven't read any of the new series. But this was such a fun one shot issue. There aren't enough good one shots out there.

Saga was class as usual too.
  • Options
    Colder #3. This title was completely off my radar when it came out, but the cover for issue one was so gruesome I threw it on my stack and each issue has been better than the last. I cannot say enough good things about the art and writing for this book!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Young Avengers #1

The writing, the characterization, the art, the dialogue, the story........all perfect.
  • Options
    Superman #15. It came out a couple weeks ago, but I just got mine from DCBS. Love the new direction of Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort, people should really check this title out, as its a really fun take on the character.
  • Options
    Spiderman's Tangled Web # 11 (from 2002). A Spidey Valentine's Day story by Darwyn Cooke. Excellent stuff!! :^)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm with @BLister

Young Avengers #1 is fantastic.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    David_D said:

I'm with @BLister

Good to hear, really looking forward to reading this later. I was never a fan of the original run, but the Phonogram team of Gillen and McKelvie earned this a look.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

I'm with @BLister

Good to hear, really looking forward to reading this later. I was never a fan of the original run, but the Phonogram team of Gillen and McKelvie earned this a look.
    I did enjoy the original YA run, but this is very different in tone from what I remember of that book. It is poppy, fun, and genuinely youthful (not young, but youthful) in its energy. And McKelvie and Norton make it look great. Excited for #2.
  • Options
    It feels like a Mike Allred book. Very colorful and a frenetic pace. But very down to earth. I have all the original YA books and this feels familiar but also pleasantly different.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I too enjoyed Young Avengers #1 - although I was a little lost in the section with Loki and Miss America. I am unclear as to the history between the two, and there wasn't a whole lot of explanation.
    BLister said:

It feels like a Mike Allred book. Very colorful and a frenetic pace. But very down to earth. I have all the original YA books and this feels familiar but also pleasantly different.

Speaking of Allred, FF#3 was, well... fantastic! Loved it.
    "The Jeeeeeeeeeeen!" - exactly.