Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Introduce Yourself-- And Play Two Truths and a Lie...

Comments

• Options
    mfw24mfw24 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Hello Everyone!

I'm a new comic book author and just found this great community. I am in the process of crowd-funding my first issue for The Devil's Fugitive. Please check it out and feel free to provide me with feedback on the concept and initial character work.

KICKSTARTER: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136750509/the-devils-fugitive-issue-1

I'm currently interviewing artists for the job to illustrate Issue #1 so let me know if you are interested or know someone great.
  • Options
    Hi everybody. Finally got around to registering so I could participate a bit more. I've been listening for about 1.5 years now. I only started listening to podcasts when I started a new job with a daily 60-minute commute. CGS is easily my favorite comics podcast, and I listen to quite a few of them. I'm a neighbor of sorts to the Geeks - I live in Allentown, PA. Here are my three things:

1. Between the gym and my commute, I consume 3.5 hours of podcasts a day
    2. The only Batman books I've ever read are DKR and DKR2.
    3. My favorite comic franchise is Green Lantern, and I'm still pissed that the Ryan Reynolds movie effectively killed it as a movie property.
  • Options
    I'm Bobby and have been listening for a few years now.

1. Big Trouble in Little China was one of my favorite movies growing up and still is.

2. I'm going blind.

3. I once went drinking in Niagara with Irish punk band Flogging Molly.
  • Options
    I'm Jace, I've been collecting and reading comics for 37 years. I even had my own shop at one point. My tastes are wide and varied and I read lots of DC, independents and a few Marvel titles. I have gradually been listening to more and more podcasts over the last 2 years and I have given myself the following challenge; go back and LISTEN TO EVERY CGS EPISODE HOSTED ON THE SITE until I catch up to the most recent. Should be fun and interesting to see how long it takes me.

Here are my 3 facts
    1) I once played Poker with Richard Pryor
    2) I've survived 2car accidents that put me in coma's, cancer and toxic liver failure.
    3) I have my own comic book vlog called The Comic Source
  • Options
    Hey there. My real name is Jim, but I like Whirlwind, so I'm adopting his simulacrum here. I've been reading these for decades; I'm unabashedly Marvel-centric, and tend to follow the universe rather than individual artists or writers (with a few exceptions). My fist comic was Avengers 164, October 1977, which featured two of my three favorite characters, being Whirlwind and Captain America. By day, I work in a warehouse, but by night I'm a Master's degree student in American History. Soon . . .

And now, two truths and a lie.
    1. I am in the process of rereading all of the Marvel Universe comics, start to finish, and so far I'm up to 1968.
    2. I used to go to Wright State University, where one of my instructors was named Doctor Doom.
    3. My third favorite character is Squirrel Girl.
  • Options
    Hiya, my name's Maarten. I've liked the character of Hannibal King for a long time; even after Ryan Reynolds go in Blade Trinity. lol
    I've been listening to the podcast recently at work and just love it. It's like listening to the radio only there's stuff I'm actually interested in listening too.
    Okay, here's the 2 truths and a lie
    1. I continue to dress as Aquaman for Free Comic Book Day
    2. I bungy-jumped off a bridge recently.
    3. I designed the logo for Luge Australia, which they have on their sweaters for this year's Winter Olympics.
  • Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forums. I grew up reading comics in the 1970s and have just recently returned to them again (mid-life crisis? What mid-life crisis?). I had tuned into an episode of Comic Book Men a few months back and in the episode they ended up buying some books that I had in my collection from back when I was a kid. This prompted me to pull it out of mothballs from the basement and head down memory lane. The next thing you know … yada, yada, yada, and here I am. [Michael Corleone mode] Just when I thought I was out, they puuuuull me back in! [/Michael Corleone mode off]

In any event, I’ve been an avid podcast listener for years as I listen to them when I go walking (mostly NFL and sports related stuff). My rekindled interest in comics lead me to stumble upon the CGS podcasts and I was instantly hooked. As someone who hasn’t actively followed comics for 30+ years or so, their recaps of the Avengers and X-Men series from the Silver Age forward have proven to be invaluable to me. The CGS crew, IMO, is quite insightful, not to mention likeable and funny as well. Just great, great stuff.

So, that’s my story. Apparently, I have to give 2 truths and a lie?

1) I own a copy of Brave and the Bold #28
    2) My favorite comic book series as a kid was “Super Villain Team-Up”
    3) I think the Sochi Olympics will be a huge, huge success!
  • Options
    My name is Rocco Petrullo and I like yourself have been born and raised in geek culture. The first film I ever saw was Batman (1989) and I’ve been hooked ever since. The only thing better than watching a superhero film is making one. I star and co wrote 28 Minute Epic: A Feature Length Real Life Superhero Action Comedy. There are 5 days left on kickstarter to make the dream happen. Kickstarter is all or nothing, so if we don’t make it, you are charged nothing. But if we do make our goal, you just made a superhero film and my dream a reality. Please check out the link and see the EPiC rewards that we have. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827894937/28-minute-epic

For 5 dollars you get your name in the credits, but for 28 dollars you get A digital copy of the film, outline of how we made the script , the script, soundtrack, and your name in the credits. There are many other higher rewards to check out at the site such as posters, shirts, 12 storyboards of the film, a hard copy of the film with special features, and even a producer credit. Check it out and if you like it, spread the word. Make 28 Minute Epic a possible and maybe next year people will be dressing up as The Masked Avenger, Spanky, Captain Wow, Random Man, or even as the cool, but dangerous “hero” known as The Dark Rider. What’s better than 15 minutes of fame? 28!
  • Options
    Greetings folks. I'm Kent, I live in Glasgow, Scotland, and I've been reading comics since roughly 1983 or so. I spent my first ten years of comic fandom as a dedicated Marvel Zombie (primarily an X-Men fan), but defected to DC during Marvel's tumultuous and shitty 1990s. Ever since Grant Morrison's New X-Men, I've been inhabiting both worlds, and an increasing number of non-Big Two titles. My major comic loves are Morrison, Moore, Quitely, Claremont, Johns, Byrne, Davis, Robinson, Reis, Vaughn, Kirkman, Hickman, Fraction, Staples, Giffen, Perez, JHW III, Kirby, JR JR... that kinda thing.

I can't remember how I stumbled across CGS, but I'm glad I did. It's been most illuminating.

Two truths, one lie.

1) I share my flat with a small, scrappy terrier named Logan.
    2) My all-time favourite character is the Martian Manhunter.
    3) I was once in a play with the lead actor from 80s Brit-TV programme Robin of Sherwood.
  • Options
    Hi all,

My name is Brad and i'm a native Michigander living in the Kansas City area. I have a Ph.D. in American Indian history (hence my username) and after teaching for 7 years took a consulting job and moved to KS with my family. I loved comics as a kid and periodically peaked back in to see how things were going w/ my favorite Daredevil, but the crapfest of the 1990s put me off for the most part. I lost my wife tragically last May and while staying with my dad for a couple of months in the aftermath I pulled my old longboxes out and filled the void by filling a whole bunch of gaps in my collection and starting a whole lot of new ones.

I have no allegiance to DC or Marvel, I love Batman and the Swamp Thing as well as Daredevil, Moon Knight, and old school Avengers. I've been most impressed with the plethora of amazing books coming from Image since re-entering the hobby in the last year. My current favorites from them include Lazarus, Sex Criminals, Fatale, and most recently Manifest Destiny (hey, i'm an historian!).

With that said, my three things:

1. I've seen the Grateful Dead live 23 times
    2. I have seen every episode of Dr. Who
    3. I own over 1,200 DVDs and Blu-Rays
  • Options
    Welcome, Brad. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to have you here.
  • Options
    What's up people?! I've been able to begin reading comics again thanks to the I-pad. I get my guidance from listening to the CGS podcast. Thank you!

1) I'm a great shot with pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    2) I draw better than John Byrne
    2) I have five kids
  • Options

What's up people?! I've been able to begin reading comics again thanks to the I-pad. I get my guidance from listening to the CGS podcast. Thank you!

1) I'm a great shot with pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    2) I draw better than John Byrne
    2) I have five kids

as a one who grew up as the middle of 5 kids, I am not surprised at 1.
  • Options
    Hey folks! Eric White here. I was a regular way back in the day but only lurked the forums since they were relaunched in 2012. But I'm back!!

Two truths and a lie:
    1) I have seen Empire Strikes Back in the neighborhood of 1500 times
    2) I have cosplayed at conventions only twice. Both times as a female anime character
    3) I've had artwork in at least 2 of the CGS Anthology books from days past
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    Hello! My name is Jesse, but my internet/forum identity for the past 15 years or so has been Jersen. I am an Arkansan and have had a lifelong fascination with superheroes. I collected comics from about 3rd grade up until Jr. High in the mid-1990s, when music became my new obsession. I ended up getting back into comics again around 2008 when a new comic store opened in a nearby city. Since then I have been filling in gaps and catching up through eBay and mycomicshop.com and have also become a DCBS customer thanks to CGS! After being an avid listener for the past 2 or 3 years, I finally decided to take the plunge and become an active member of the community.

Now for my 2 truths and a lie:

1. I once played a gig with my band Turdy Jones wearing nothing but Spider-Man boxers and a pair of Chuck Taylors.

2. Between the years of 1994-2008, the only comic books I bought were the 4 issues of Cryptic Writings of Megadeth published by Chaos! Comics.

3. I once took a dump in my grandparents' driveway after Sunday lunch.
  • Options
    Jersen said:

Hello! My name is Jesse, but my internet/forum identity for the past 15 years or so has been Jersen. I am an Arkansan and have had a lifelong fascination with superheroes. I collected comics from about 3rd grade up until Jr. High in the mid-1990s, when music became my new obsession. I ended up getting back into comics again around 2008 when a new comic store opened in a nearby city. Since then I have been filling in gaps and catching up through eBay and mycomicshop.com and have also become a DCBS customer thanks to CGS! After being an avid listener for the past 2 or 3 years, I finally decided to take the plunge and become an active member of the community.

Now for my 2 truths and a lie:

1. I once played a gig with my band Turdy Jones wearing nothing but Spider-Man boxers and a pair of Chuck Taylors.

2. Between the years of 1994-2008, the only comic books I bought were the 4 issues of Cryptic Writings of Megadeth published by Chaos! Comics.

3. I once took a dump in my grandparents' driveway after Sunday lunch.

No one would leave a dump on a Sunday. Had you said Monday or Thursday it might be believable.

Welcome!
  • Options
    Greetings, all.

I've been listening to CGS for five years now and figured it was about time for me to show my gratitude for the endless hours of entertainment, insight, and laughs you've all given me, and for free no less! I've listened to dozens of comic podcasts throughout the years, and many have come and gone or have unfortunately diminished in quality, but Comic Geek Speak is eternal.

Thanks, guys.

Two truths and a lie:

1. I have a job in which I am able to listen to upwards of 20 hours of podcasts a week

2. I consider both the Watchmen and Man of Steel movies to be among the best in the genre, right alongside Avengers, Cap 2 and The Dark Knight

3. I've been a life-long comics fan, a penciler, and more recently a digital artists (both 2D and 3D). I've self-published a digital comic and am currently working on an illustrated science fiction/fantasy novel.

*1 is false, I sometimes listen to 30 hours a week.
  • Options
    What's good CGS,
    I stumbled on to the podcast by accident, which of course is a great mistake. Love the show and those who contiibute to it.
    1. First comic was a Elf Lord.
    2. 2nd anime ever rented was Legend of the Overfiend at the age of 12, by accident.
    3. I am a My Little Pony Brony.
    Cheers
  • Options
    NexusNexus Posts: 2
    Hey! I'm Mike. I've been a CGS listener since 2006 which I happily blame for getting me back into comics ever since. My amazing wife and I have five children--three of whom we adopted from China and all of whom love comics too. Here's my two truth and a lie:
    1. I was smacked by one of U2's bodyguards for giving him a high five as he was walking on stage.
    2. I once ran so slowly in a cross country race in high school that the starting gun for the next race not only went off before I had finished, but I was also passed by people from the next race.
    3. I have eaten scorpion on a stick while visiting China.
  • Options
    Hi folks! Comic fan and loyal listener.

1. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
    2. I talked to the wrestlers Vampiro, Kid Kash and Norman Smiley about Dragonball Z for half an hour.
    3. I hate eggplant, I have no idea how people can eat that stuff.
  • Options
    Hello all.

Long time comic book reader (30 something + years...) and have been a listener of CGS for somewhere in the 3-4 years region. Thought it was about time I joined the forums and got my geek on :)
    I live in England and am a graphic designer/illustrator and art tutor.
    Am looking forward to interacting and getting to know you lovely people!

Two truths and a lie:

- I once gatecrashed a Druid party at Avebury stone circle in Wiltshire.
    - At college I was approached by the British Secret Service to work for them.
    - Prince Charles nearly ran me over in his Jaguar in Windsor great Park.

Peace and slack :) x
  • Options
    Komic_BrewKomic_Brew Posts: 15
    Hello hello.

Comic book publisher, (very fresh one), and my day job is film director and producer.

2 truths and a lie :
    - Bill Gould of Faith No More (bass) composed the music for my second short animation, to be released soon.
    - Sean Connery was holding the storyboard for another animation I was preparing (and probably threw it away right after), that project is now being adapted into a graphic novel.
    - My stepsister is veeeeeery sexy :D
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    edited June 2014
    Hi I'm Steve and I'm from Redditch, near Birmingham, England.
    Started collecting DC in '67, then, stupidly sold all my SA collection (around 400 comics) in '72.
    Restarted collecting in '05 after discovering eBay and that it wouldn't necessarily cost a fortune to replace each comic (as long as I'm not too fussy about condition, which I'm not.)
    Have so far rebuilt my collection to around 600 so slightly larger than before. I have a clearout every so often to make more space.
    The very first comic I ever read was Adventure 336. Someone lent it to me at school, it was in the summer time, and I can well remember reading it on the grass by the side of the playground at breaktime. I'd have been about 8 or 9, and I loved the storyline and I loved the Legion from then on - especially Mon-El.
    Happy days! Probably about 46 years ago!

I love comics but even more importantly I love comic covers, and have a collection of over 5,000. I hope to post in your "A cover a day" section if that's all right.
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    Ok, after deep consideration I have a "2 truths and a lie"

1. I celebrated my 50th birthday in a restaurant in Reykjavik

2. I owned and ran a haulage (trucking) company for ten years.

3. When I was a teenager, I lived in Belgium with my girlfriend for six months.
  • Options
    Wolverine2216Wolverine2216 Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Hey everyone new to the forums and have only been listening to cgs for about 2 weeks. I also have just became a collector within the last few months and am currently working on collecting and reading wolverine origins. I listen at work so I've got about 75-80 hours under my belt already! I'm straight up addicted to this podcast.

1. I started collecting when I was 23.
    2. First comic owned was Incredible Hulk 181
    3. My collection was inherited with over 1400 comics
  • Options
    Hey, all. My name is Chad.

I once regrettably shot a pig in the left testicle
    I ate a raw piece of bacon just to see what it tasted like.
    I enjoy black licorice.

Who am I kidding, that's so obvious! Nobody enjoys black licorice.
  • Options
    Will_PondWill_Pond Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! My name's Will and I'm a comics fan from London, England. Here we go ....

1. I did not start reading/collecting comics until 2011, at the age of 24. This obsession quickly grew.

2. I work as a TV, web and film editor.

3. I was once watched every James Bond film in one sitting.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    Hi All, My name is Stephen and I've been listening to CGS since somewhere around Episode 40-50.

1. My house has central vacuuming, but I also own a Dyson, a Roomba and buy every new gadget Swifter comes out with.
    2. I once took a leak next to Woody Harrelson at the old Boston Garden.
    3. I love black jelly beans - and have a wonderful friend who buys be a bag of nothing but each Easter.
  • Options
    My name is Thomas Childress, I used to call in occasionally and introduce myself as "Thomas from IN," and played a round a little bit on the old forums. I've been listening since the late 700s. These days I am in school for Library Science and working full time. I cartoon a bit and mess around with that with mini-comics, Thick Skull Comics and my creation Smart Monkey. Anyway, 2 truths and a lie:

1. I have viewed the Amazing Fantasy #15 original art pages at the Library of Congress and read the other stories from the issue from that art.
    2. Comics are my passion but I am also an avid gamer and at Gen Con I made Felicia Day laugh playing the Larry King Game.
    3. I have been told that I look like Jack Black only if he were bald, wore glasses and looked like me.

I'm on Facebook at thomas.b.childress
  • Options
    Hello to all the ComicGeekSpeakers! My name is Corey Lynch. I am a Canadian born life long lover of comics. I have been listening since 2008 and have missed very few episodes. I actually jog while listening ... so the show has literally jogged thousands of miles with me (or Kilometers for us Canadians). I just started my own podcast and decided to also tinker around the boards. There is not much happening here in Korea with regards to comics and I am a little getting a case of the Silver Surfer blues with no one to talk shop with.

1) The first comic I remember collecting was Amethyst :Princess of Gemworld.
    2) I named my baby daughter Kara in honor of Supergirl.
    3) My favorite X character is Nightcrawler.

I am Corey Lynch on FB, twitter is @coreyreviews