Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    You know it's a rough year for celebrity deaths when Abe Vigoda actually does die
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I'm reading Batman Europa #3 and one of the Joker's intentional jokes made me laugh.
  • Options
    DAR said:

You know it's a rough year for celebrity deaths when Abe Vigoda actually does die

I guess Tom Hagen couldn't get him off, for old time's sake.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I've been reading online and people are talking about the Zika virus, and can it spread like wildfire in the US.

Which brings me to my ultimate decision about all global contagions. Where is it on the flu scale?

West Nile - less than the flu
    Ebola - way worse than the flu.
    Bird/Pig Flu - basically the flu
    Zika - according to the CDC it's like a bad cold, so basically you would rather catch Zika than the flu.

I think all news outlets and the CDC should be required to rate "new" viruses on a flu scale.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been reading online and people are talking about the Zika virus, and can it spread like wildfire in the US.

Which brings me to my ultimate decision about all global contagions. Where is it on the flu scale?

West Nile - less than the flu
    Ebola - way worse than the flu.
    Bird/Pig Flu - basically the flu
    Zika - according to the CDC it's like a bad cold, so basically you would rather catch Zika than the flu.

I think all news outlets and the CDC should be required to rate "new" viruses on a flu scale.

For the adult, probably more tolerable but the correlation to fetal brain damage is horrifying.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Yeah, the babies are born with heads too small for their bodies(Microcephaly).
  • Options
    It's so bad in Brazil, the government has warned women away from even getting pregnant.

cnn.com/2015/12/23/health/brazil-zika-pregnancy-warning/

In that way, it's relatively mild adult consequences make it even more insidious and dangerous, because thousands have contracted it and didn't even realize.
  • Options
    It's a ghost town here. At least I'll have time to read. All the time in the world. And I just ordered new bifocals.
  • Options
    That story wouldn't work today. "Oh no! Now I have to make the font huge on my Kindle..."
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Mr_Cosmic said:

That story wouldn't work today. "Oh no! Now I have to make the font huge on my Kindle..."

That's what she said.
  • Options
    I lost power around 5:00 pm yesterday, and didn't get it back until just before 9:00 that night (car accident took out a utility pole 100 yards down from my house). I wasn't planning on watching the Super Bowl last night anyway, but I'm sure some of my neighbors were pissed. But I'm wondering if someone was trying to spare a few North Carolinians from having to watch that debacle.
  • Options

I lost power around 5:00 pm yesterday, and didn't get it back until just before 9:00 that night (car accident took out a utility pole 100 yards down from my house). I wasn't planning on watching the Super Bowl last night anyway, but I'm sure some of my neighbors were pissed. But I'm wondering if someone was trying to spare a few North Carolinians from having to watch that debacle.

Did you miss the part where Steve Harvey handed the trophy to Cam Newton?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Did you miss the part where Steve Harvey handed the trophy to Cam Newton?
    Oh, I totally missed that. :) Seriously, though, I didn't watch a single second of the game. Once the power came back on I had to reset a couple of breakers, then climb under the house to reset the water pump pressure controller, and then I took a shower. It was all over but the shouting by that point, so I didn't even bother to turn it on. I don't feel any worse for missing it—I'm not really a football kind of guy.
  • Options
    That was a terrible game. I expected a show!

I did enjoy the Marvel soda commercial, though. Ruffalo and Rudd are making that money!
  • Options

There haven't really been many good Super Bowls the past several years now. I expected a low-scoring game based on the two defenses, and that's what they gave us. Two offensive touchdowns for the game. At least I got the laundry folded and the dishes put away while the power was out. Much more satisfying than if I'd watched the game instead.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

There haven't really been many good Super Bowls the past several years now. I expected a low-scoring game based on the two defenses, and that's what they gave us. Two offensive touchdowns for the game. At least I got the laundry folded and the dishes put away while the power was out. Much more satisfying than if I'd watched the game instead.
    Did you catch up on any of the good commercials online? :p
  • Options

Did you catch up on any of the good commercials online? :p
    I don't go out of my way to watch commercials. They'll find me eventually.
  • Options
    Sitting here doing homework with my son makes me understand why my dad always had that perplexed look on his face.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Sitting here doing homework with my son makes me understand why my dad always had that perplexed look on his face.

Yeah, there comes a time where trying to develop cold fusion just starts going over everyone's head
  • Options
    Where the hell is @WetRats ??

Such a prolific contributor to these forums doesn't just get to vanish into the void...anyone know whats up?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Last time I asked, @nweathington said he'd been messaging him back and forth. This was December.

No mention as to why he stopped posting.
  • Options

Last time I asked, @nweathington said he'd been messaging him back and forth. This was December.

Ah, OK. At least someone has talked to him..always worries me when people just drop off and you don't know why.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I didn't specify why earlier and I won't go into specifics now, because it involves personal things outside of the forums which are not my place to share, but he needed to take a break from the negativity he was feeling here.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

All he needs to do is go into the library and use their giant magnifying glass to read. Because back then most libraries had those available. My local library when I was a kid had one on an adjustable stand attached to a desk. Problem solved.

The broken glasses bit was a nice bit of irony, but not the real point of the episode. The real point is that he's completely alone in the world. No optometrist to fix his glasses, but also no doctor to heal him when he gets sick, no farmers to grow food for him, no electricians or even electricity so no Kindle anyway, etc. But he's only worried about his broken glasses. At least until the rest hits home.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Where the hell is @WetRats ??

Such a prolific contributor to these forums doesn't just get to vanish into the void...anyone know whats up?

I'll message him every now and then. He seems to be doing pretty well. Just taking break from message boards. Last year was tough on him when he lost his brother.

Edit: just read @nweathington's post. The reason I mentioned Stewart's loss was that he talked about it here.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Ah, OK. At least someone has talked to him..always worries me when people just drop off and you don't know why.
    Me too. I assume he's well or we'd hopefully had heard.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the info guys.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Also in the missing category: @Chuck_Melville

• Options
    Yup, haven't heard from him for a while either.