Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I didn't get alot of geek stuff this year, but I did get some cool gifts.
    My wife gave an ukulele
    My parents gave me a nice fish fryer, some cash, and some shirts
    My mother in law gave me a new nook (daughter destroyed my old one) and the box set of Zatoichi the blind swordsman.

But my favorite part of Christmas was the presents I gave.

We made a ball pit for my daughter which is ridiculous fun (one inflatable baby pool and 1400 non-bpa/non-crushable plastic balls), and she got 2 cooking sets from family. Plus a big Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck stuff toys from Santa. I've eaten 100 lbs of imaginary grits and eggs and read 500 books while playing in a ball pit with my almost 2 year old.

I gave my wife Luke and Lorali shirt and a new nook.

We gave my mother in law an astrological chart of her wedding anniversary (my father in law passed away 2 years ago).

For myself I bought 12ft, 20lb hand tied cast net. I love fishing.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    RIP Tom Coughlin. You have two Super Bowl rings. Be proud, go home, and be a family man,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tawnOvY-DcM
  • Options
    RIP Lovie Smith Tampa Bay barely knew you.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

RIP Lovie Smith Tampa Bay barely knew you.

And they dumped via a phone call...This is garbage, Smith improved their win total from last year. He should have at least been given one more chance.
  • Options
    I don't know. I'm just glad I don't I'm not Bucs fan. Those scumbags suck.

PS I may or may not have my Falcons gogles on as I type this message.
  • Options
    On a random note my daughter turned 2 yesterday. To celebrate we went to a bakery and got 2 sugar cookies and split a cupcake. Milk included. Her party is Saturday.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Well I've had a real shitty Comics related week!!!

My comic book provider over here on the UK has gone tits up. No comics, no communications, no refunds. Scrambling around trying to find my missed issues now and trying to claim a load of lost cash through PayPal.

So disappointed, I've been using this company for over 5 years. In this time I've had no problems, if I had a missed issue they were really apologetic and would get a replacement out asap. And now they've gone off the radar.

I hope there all ok personally, but the lack of communications is real bad.

Anyway, anyone know of any decent suppliers in the UK??
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Sean Payton signs on for another four years as Saints head coach, says he loves it there, and has no intentions of ever leaving of his own volition. Brees announces hopes to retire in a Saints uniform, and hopes he'll keep working with Payton for years to come.

In other news, the Saints defensive line goes over plans to just shoot the QB, in a throwback to the "good ol' days" of Bountygate. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Sean Payton signs on for another four years as Saints head coach, says he loves it there, and has no intentions of ever leaving of his own volition. Brees announces hopes to retire in a Saints uniform, and hopes he'll keep working with Payton for years to come.

In other news, the Saints defensive line goes over plans to just shoot the QB, in a throwback to the "good ol' days" of Bountygate. :)

Favorite Payton fact: New Orleans feels a Superbowl winning coach is worth a 2nd round pick.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    edited January 2016
    luke52 said:

My comic book provider over here on the UK has gone tits up. No comics, no communications, no refunds. Scrambling around trying to find my missed issues now and trying to claim a load of lost cash through PayPal.

So disappointed, I've been using this company for over 5 years. In this time I've had no problems, if I had a missed issue they were really apologetic and would get a replacement out asap. And now they've gone off the radar.

That really is shitty news, who were you using?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    luke52 said:

Ugh. That sounds awful.

I thought your question might get even more notice in the On Topic section of the forum, and it is a very on-topic thing, so I started a discussion with it. Hopefully there are some UK folks that can help.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2016
    I started an inventory project of my collection the Monday before Thanksgiving. I finally finished today.

I have 970 collected editions containing some part of 9997 issues of comics. In addition there are another 61 collected edition books of newpaper comic strips and another 111 magazines or books about comics. A collection total of 1142 items.

Of the 970:

646 are DC
    232 are Marvel
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Not quite certain where this Packers team has been the last few months but in the end that doesn't matter if they play like this.

And even though I don't like them 99.99999% of the time I actually wished the Vikings pulled it off.
  • Options
    David Bowie died after a 1.5 year battle with cancer.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I started an inventory project of my collection the Monday before Thanksgiving. I finally finished today.

I have 970 collected editions containing some part of 9997 issues of comics. In addition there are another 61 collected edition books of newpaper comic strips and another 111 magazines or books about comics. A collection total of 1142 items.

Of the 970:

646 are DC
    232 are Marvel

I just started my inventory; I'm not sure how long this is going to take. I bought the clz app recently.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

David Bowie died after a 1.5 year battle with cancer.

SO sad.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Spending the day - like I'm guessing many others are - playing my Bowie albums...
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    mwhitt80 said:

Of the 970:

646 are DC
    232 are Marvel

I just started my inventory; I'm not sure how long this is going to take. I bought the clz app recently.
    I did my just with Excel which I am slightly regretting. For some reason, it will not sort the entire workbook. A program with a bar code scanner would be perfect for my needs. In the future, I may think about going in that direction.

I did not keep track of hours spent but it was a lot. I did not do much the last week, but before that I spend a couple nights a week on it. If I would have limited to just what books I had, it would have been quick. I wanted to know who wrote, drew, and what issues each book contained which took far longer than I thought.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Of the 970:

646 are DC
    232 are Marvel

I did my just with Excel which I am slightly regretting. For some reason, it will not sort the entire workbook. A program with a bar code scanner would be perfect for my needs. In the future, I may think about going in that direction.

I did not keep track of hours spent but it was a lot. I did not do much the last week, but before that I spend a couple nights a week on it. If I would have limited to just what books I had, it would have been quick. I wanted to know who wrote, drew, and what issues each book contained which took far longer than I thought.
    Gotcha. I'm not looking forward to doing this. I just reorganized all my trades 2 months when I did a major overhaul of the room.
    Then I tweaked my back last week after starting phase 2 of my room. Once I get part 2 done I'll post pictures. It really is starting to look great.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    www.comicbookrealm.com has the ability to catalog trades as well as floppies. It includes information regarding creators included (and links to the individual issues for additional information that might be located there. It's hardly perfect, but it sounds like it hits most of the notes that you're looking for.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Torchsong said:

Spending the day - like I'm guessing many others are - playing my Bowie albums...

We can be heroes just for one day.
  • Options
    So I'm at the gym today and I'm finishing my cool down. There's two older women in front of me probably 70's and they start talking about David Bowie. At first I thought they were too old to listen to his music, but then I realized no when he burst on the scene they were late 20's early 30's
  • Options
    Here in WI if you're at high school game you better not say things like air ball, because you might hurt someone's feelings

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jimmycarlton/wiaanewrulescheering.html
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DAR said:

Here in WI if you're at high school game you better not say things like air ball, because you might hurt someone's feelings

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jimmycarlton/wiaanewrulescheering.html

**groan**

Too many cupcakes with thin skin these days...
  • Options
    Crap. Was inventorying my collection and just realized that I own this issue, Flash #124 from 1959, which I picked up at a flea market as a kid for next to nothing. :

Why "crap," you say? Well, while that issue is an awesome addition to any collection in it's own right, I can't help but note that it turns out I was oh so close to owning this rather more iconic one instead:

• Options
    Flash 124 is a great Tom vs. Comics episode. As soon as I saw the cover I was thinking about the episode.

Isn't that the 1st or 2nd appearance of Capt. Boomerang?
  • Options

Crap. Was inventorying my collection and just realized that I own this issue, Flash #124 from 1959, which I picked up at a flea market as a kid for next to nothing. :

Why "crap," you say? Well, while that issue is an awesome addition to any collection in it's own right, I can't help but note that it turns out I was oh so close to owning this rather more iconic one instead:

I'm just sad the reboot means The Space Boomerang is no longer in continuity.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    David_D said:

I'm a firm believer in comic book continuity being personal to the individual reader, and that it should include or omit whatever issues each reader wants it to. So don't worry, in my personal DC continuity, the Space Boomerang is alive and well.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Isn't that the 1st or 2nd appearance of Capt. Boomerang?

2nd. Debuted about 7 issues earlier. Eh, maybe he'll be the big breakout star of Suicide Squad, and that'll jack up the price of the book. :-)
  • Options

David_D said:

I'm a firm believer in comic book continuity being personal to the individual reader, and that it should include or omit whatever issues each reader wants it to. So don't worry, in my personal DC continuity, the Space Boomerang is alive and well.
    I like to believe the current DC Universe Earth is actually balanced on the back of a giant space boomerang.