Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I am SO back-logged on my podcasts now...I still haven't been able to see Episode VII & I'm afraid one of them will spoil it for me.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

ESPN has been ranking all time NBA players by position. I've had a few recency bias problems with their lists, but today they released the top 10 centers.

I kinda love that list. This is by far the most debatable position in NBA history.

The top 3 are Russel, Chamberlain, Kareem. You make a case for all 3 in any spot in the top 3. You also can not make a reasonable argument for anyone but those three as the top 3.
    The next 7 is the best place for a fight; you make a case for any of them to be in any of those spots.
    Bill Walton is number 10, is one season of being the greatest center of all-time worth the 4 spot? At his best he was better than everyone ranked under him, but he only had one season transcendency (and 1986) because of injuries. I'd put him at 10 because of longevity but...

ESPN lost all credibility with me when it comes to ranking athletes when they said Michael Jordan was the greatest of all time....in any sport.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Fascinating website about the uses of DC Continuity in SANDMAN: https://t.co/XSDkSs5kfb

— Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself) January 15, 2016
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

I can't figure out why I'm in the top 10% of basspro shoppers. I've not spent that much money there.

Probably for the same reason some Nigerian prince keeps contacting me. Of all the people on earth that have email addresses, how did he find mine?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited January 2016
    I think my favorite thing on the internet is CBR's Guide to the Guide to Comics it's a great issue-by-issue retrospective of early Wizard magazine. It treats the magazine much more fairly than the magazine treated comics.

Did you know that Wizard made the Comicfest '93 programs? Would you have guessed they ranked the guests by popularity in said programs? Then offered a public apology in their magazine? I didn't, but it's a nice piece of comics trivia (also a meta-cosplay costume when attending a WizardWorld show).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    mwhitt80 said:

I think my favorite thing on the internet is CBR's Guide to the Guide to Comics it's a great issue-by-issue retrospective of early Wizard magazine. It treats the magazine much more fairly than the magazine treated comics.

Did you know that Wizard made the Comicfest '93 programs? Would you have guessed they ranked the guests by popularity in said programs? Then offered a public apology in their magazine? I didn't, but it's a nice piece of comics trivia (also a meta-cosplay costume when attending a WizardWorld show).

Thank you so much for this...

I used to love Wizard back in the day. Buying that new issue and waiting to open the plastic.... and tossing out the aol disc :p

It was my gateway into the broader comics universe.
  • Options
    Sadly, I'm afraid that with the Patriots loss in the AFC championship our beloved CGS host @Matt has been turned into a writer of Girl Meets World fan fiction.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Sadly, I'm afraid that with the Patriots loss in the AFC championship our beloved CGS host @Matt has been turned into a writer of Girl Meets World fan fiction.

Actually, I've gone all Fox Mulder to reveal the truth behind SpyGate, DeflateGate, & all the other NFL generated misconceptions about the Patriots.

M
  • Options
    A bad day for the New England Patriots is a good day for America.
  • Options

A bad day for the New England Patriots is a good day for America.

Good day for Patriots fans...means the team is still in the heads of America even with a loss. They'll be back in the mix next season. No worries.

M
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Well this is the Superbowl I didn't want. The only bright side is that the Carolina Cams might beat the Peyton Mannings by 100 (I'll settle for 64).

I'm still bitter about my football seasons (college and NFL), baseball was an abysmal second half (the Barves); at least I had my hawks.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    This was my second choice of outcomes. Really wanted Cards vs. Broncos, because I like both teams.

I can live with this because if the Broncs win, my in-laws are all happy. If the Panthers win, I can be happy because it's my division taking home the Lombardi.*

*Still wouldn't root for the dirty birds, though! :)
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    mwhitt80 said:

Well this is the Superbowl I didn't want. The only bright side is that the Carolina Cams might beat the Peyton Mannings by 100 (I'll settle for 64).

• Options
    edited January 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm still bitter about my football seasons (college and NFL), baseball was an abysmal second half (the Barves); at least I had my hawks.

Could be worse...My brother's a Cardinals fan, so you hear of a crazed naked man with a craving for human ears terrorizing St. Paul, MN...it's probably him.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Hell maybe SCam will throw for 10 touchdowns. Thomas Davis will borrow Ray Lewis's deer antler spray and get 7 sacks,3 ints (2 for tds).

My dislike of Peyton all the Mannings, the old man, Peyton, ShEli, all of them, is large .

Yeah I might get a little fangry this time of year (especially after back to back terrible football years).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm looKing forward to this Super Bowl.

I hope the Panthers win, just so Eli can troll Peyton about having more rings.
  • Options

I hope the Panthers win, just so Eli can troll Peyton about having more rings.

Okay there is a bright spot.
  • Options
    Back to the Patriots, remember the missed extra point?

The coach who lobbied hardest to move the PAT back....Bill Bellichick.
  • Options

Yeah, but that didn't cost them the game. Dude has made the last 523 PAT. Last miss was 2006. Plus, Gronk was wide open for 2 point conversion.

Their O-line is a huge bucket of suck & Denver has a very good D, especially front. They kept tagging Brady enough to keep the score low so Peyton could keep Denver in the game. Peyton will get the credit, but it was the defense that won that game. Without an amazing game, Pats offense puts up 30 easily.

M
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Matt said:

Yeah, but that didn't cost them the game. Dude has made the last 523 PAT. Last miss was 2006. Plus, Gronk was wide open for 2 point conversion.

Their O-line is a huge bucket of suck & Denver has a very good D, especially front. They kept tagging Brady enough to keep the score low so Peyton could keep Denver in the game. Peyton will get the credit, but it was the defense that won that game. Without an amazing game, Pats offense puts up 30 easily.

M
    Matt is correct.
    That offense the Broncos ran in the 2nd half couldn't put together a 5 minute drive to kill the clock after the Pats lost possession on downs the first time. Even if they couldn't kill the clock, at the very least the Broncos should have been able to get into field goal range and put the game away.
    Pathetic.

All that being said, Von Miller is just stupid and I'm happy he's on my team.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Good day for Patriots fans...means the team is still in the heads of America even with a loss. They'll be back in the mix next season. No worries.

M

Pats/Sox fans are the most obnoxious sports fans in the world. So as a Giants fan who was forced to live among them for 20 years, I am loving the schadenfreude of the last 24 hours. :-)

• Options

Matt said:

M

Pats/Sox fans are the most obnoxious sports fans in the world. So as a Giants fan who was forced to live among them for 20 years, I am loving the schadenfreude of the last 24 hours. :-)

Actually, an SI pole from a couple years ago put that label to Eagles & Phillies fans. Pats & Sox fans barely made top 10.

And after a humiliating 86 year drought, how did Sox fans become obnoxious?!

M
  • Options
    You've never lived there.
  • Options

You've never lived there.

Still time for it to be checked off my bucket list!

M

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
  • Options
    If they don't name it Krypton, I'll be very sad... :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Torchsong said:

If they don't name it Krypton, I'll be very sad... :)

That's like naming a new ship The Titanic.
  • Options
    Well, we're hitting lesser known Greek and Roman gods, so maybe we can name it Odin?
  • Options
    It could be named after Odin's horse, Sleipnir. Or, perhaps it should be named after Thor's hammer, Meowmeow.