Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

mwhitt80 said:

Isn't that the 1st or 2nd appearance of Capt. Boomerang?

2nd. Debuted about 7 issues earlier. Eh, maybe he'll be the big breakout star of Suicide Squad, and that'll jack up the price of the book. :-)
    Man you struck out on that one. At least the cover and story are good.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Crap. Was inventorying my collection and just realized that I own this issue, Flash #124 from 1959, which I picked up at a flea market as a kid for next to nothing. :

Why "crap," you say? Well, while that issue is an awesome addition to any collection in it's own right, I can't help but note that it turns out I was oh so close to owning this rather more iconic one instead:

I'm just sad the reboot means The Space Boomerang is no longer in continuity.
    I'm a firm believer in comic book continuity being personal to the individual reader, and that it should include or omit whatever issues each reader wants it to. So don't worry, in my personal DC continuity, the Space Boomerang is alive and well.
    I like to believe the current DC Universe Earth is actually balanced on the back of a giant space boomerang.
    Then like a boomerang, does that mean the best parts of the DC continuity always come back?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

David_D said:

Crap. Was inventorying my collection and just realized that I own this issue, Flash #124 from 1959, which I picked up at a flea market as a kid for next to nothing. :

Why "crap," you say? Well, while that issue is an awesome addition to any collection in it's own right, I can't help but note that it turns out I was oh so close to owning this rather more iconic one instead:

I'm just sad the reboot means The Space Boomerang is no longer in continuity.
    I'm a firm believer in comic book continuity being personal to the individual reader, and that it should include or omit whatever issues each reader wants it to. So don't worry, in my personal DC continuity, the Space Boomerang is alive and well.
    I like to believe the current DC Universe Earth is actually balanced on the back of a giant space boomerang.
    Then like a boomerang, does that mean the best parts of the DC continuity always come back?
    Indeed.

And the original DCU Earth is on the back of the turtle that used to be the Silver Age Jimmy Olson.
  • Options
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Well looks like I still have to go to work tomorrow
  • Options
    RIP Alan Rickman. :(
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    DAR said:

I'll be watching Die Hard tonight.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    DAR said:

"Shoot the glass" RIP
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    After watching three days in a row of Perry Mason, Matlock, and Quincey I think people finding an innocent person holding a weapon over a dead body is about the most cliche thing in these types of shows...heck, it even happened in Daredevil.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

After watching three days in a row of Perry Mason, Matlock, and Quincey

Are... you going through a phase?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

After watching three days in a row of Perry Mason, Matlock, and Quincey

Are... you going through a phase?

Not many 80 year olds on the forums.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited January 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

After watching three days in a row of Perry Mason, Matlock, and Quincey I think people finding an innocent person holding a weapon over a dead body is about the most cliche thing in these types of shows...heck, it even happened in Daredevil.

What?!...No Columbo?!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    What?! No Rockford Files?
  • Options
    What!? No "McMillan and Wife"?
  • Options
    Quincy was a pimp!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

What?! No Rockford Files?

That too!

Hey, I'm laid off and I've discovered MeTV!
  • Options
    I'm in Athens for a wedding, and had to have the little girl share a hotel bed with mommy and me.
    Geez that was awful. I wanted her to have her own bed; she wanted to be in her bed, and no one was happy or rested.
  • Options
    Glenn Frey of the Eagles passed away. Jesus 2016
  • Options
    Iron Mike Sharpe passed away yesterday. He was a guy that made a career of making careers. Not many of career job guys left.
  • Options
    Is tonight the singles greatest night for comic books in TV history?

8:00 pm ABC - Marvel's Captain America: 75 Heroic Years
    8:00 pm CW - The Flash
    9:00 pm ABC - Marvel's Agent Carter
    9:00 pm CW - DC's Legends of Tomorrow
    9:30 pm CW - DC Films Presents: Dawn of the Justice League
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Legends is only a 1/2 hour show? That'll be tough to pull off with an ensemble cast like that...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    If you have a nook, the first 5 books of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series are on sale $2.99 a piece through Barnes & Noble nook books. One Day Only Sale
    Hunt for Red Oct.
    Patriot Games
    Clear and Present Danger
    Cardinal of the Kremlin
    Red Rabbit
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Torchsong said:

Legends is only a 1/2 hour show? That'll be tough to pull off with an ensemble cast like that...

Wow. That sounds crowded. That many characters to track in a 22 minute episode? Yikes.

I have not seen the show yet, so this is judgment before investigation, but I think having a lot of characters across a variety of genres (a time-traveler next to a cowboy, next to hawk people, etc.) is not a draw for me. I could totally be wrong, it might all come together and totally work. But I have to say, there is a poster for it in our subway station--

And every time I look at it, I feel like it is an ad for DC Superheroes On Ice, you know what I mean? A 'flash and cash' where you get each character for a minute or two. I will be interested to hear if it works for viewers, I hope it does, but so far this doesn't look like my kind of show.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if it won't turn into a rotating cast - Captain Cold goes about five episodes then says "Eff this...I'm no hero" and takes Heatwave with him; Current Firestorm dies to bring back Ronnie Raymond and so viewers know "This is serious!"; Hawkgirl and Hawkman can get killed off at any point because they'll be resurrected, etc. - the only constants being Rip Hunter vs. Vandal Savage.

And of course on the TV side of things it's more like "Let's bring in these background characters, see which ones the audiences really respond to, and maybe give them their own shows"...

Arion, people...it's gonna happen. ;)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

The animated Justice League and Justice League United shows were only 1/2-hour shows too. I am not expecting Legends to be as good as anything Bruce Timm produced—in fact I doubt I'll even watch it—but it can certainly be done with good writing.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

It's a 1/2 hour preview. The actual show premiers Thursday night and is an hour long.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

It's a 1/2 hour preview. The actual show premiers Thursday night and is an hour long.
    That's good. An hour makes a lot more sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ESPN has been ranking all time NBA players by position. I've had a few recency bias problems with their lists, but today they released the top 10 centers.

I kinda love that list. This is by far the most debatable position in NBA history.

The top 3 are Russel, Chamberlain, Kareem. You make a case for all 3 in any spot in the top 3. You also can not make a reasonable argument for anyone but those three as the top 3.
    The next 7 is the best place for a fight; you make a case for any of them to be in any of those spots.
    Bill Walton is number 10, is one season of being the greatest center of all-time worth the 4 spot? At his best he was better than everyone ranked under him, but he only had one season transcendency (and 1986) because of injuries. I'd put him at 10 because of longevity but...
  • Options
    Bill Laimbeer should be in the top 10...elbowing out anyone who might be in his way.

/See what I did there?!? :)
  • Options
    I know I've shopped alot at basspro when they send me a preferred rewards card.
    I can't figure out why I'm in the top 10% of basspro shoppers. I've not spent that much money there.