Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Oh joy.

There's a photo circulating of the cop-killing couple in Las Vegas cosplaying as The Joker and Harley Quinn.

Ignorant backlash in 3... 2...

I think they are too busy trying to prove what political party they voted for, how they can blame this on Obama and...oh, another school shooting, so we're done with them, on to the next tragedy.

I actively hate cable news and radio punditry for making these things seem like they are part of the 24 hour news cycle. 74 school shootings since Newtown...and the only laws passed make it easier to get weapons into the hands of people.

You could piss all over the 2nd Amendment, take away all our guns and lock them up and we'd still be shooting each other. Crazy doesn't obey the rules. Something is fundamentally sick within our society and the amount of access to a tool won't change that.

I sympathize with your hatred for cable news(though network news would be the same if they could be on 24hrs) and think they're part of the problem. If there wasn't the outrageous coverage and debate following every shooting we wouldn't see hardly as many. Going down in a blaze of "glory" and getting your name/picture/manifesto on TV is exactly what a lot of these morons seek.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Something is fundamentally sick within our society and the amount of access to a tool won't change that.

Mental health issues are looked upon as a stigma within our society. And on the whole, we are not a very empathetic society. We all too often view people with a mental illness as someone slightly less than human, someone to be avoided, someone to ignore.

It’s easy to say, “That guy is crazy and should be locked up.” It’s not as easy to identify that person and get them the help they need before they harm themselves or others. We do not have a health care system based on preventative medicine—for physical health and especially not for mental health. Insurance companies rarely offer adequate support to families dealing with mental health issues. States across the nation continually drop funding for mental health treatment. And so many, many people who could otherwise function in society are under-treated or not treated at all. Luckily for the rest of us, most of them are not violent, and those who are violent are more likely to hurt themselves before hurting someone else (the leading cause of gun deaths in rural America is suicide). But none of them should have to reach that point before we start addressing the problem.

That being said, sometimes a thorough background check and/or a waiting period can make all the difference in keeping a weapon out of the hands of someone who is not mentally well.

There is no one solution that will end gun violence. Gun regulation alone won't do it. Fixing the mental health care system alone won't do it. Gun regulation and a fixed mental health care system together won't do it completely. But it’s not going to end on its own, and we shouldn't focus on one facet of the problem to the exclusion of the others.
  • Options
    I have a tee for sale on Zebra Tees for a week... $9 plus shipping.

zebratees.com/?wm=

• Options
    I'm shocked no "Casey Kasem RIP" thread has popped up. He played Robin longer than anyone, not to mention Shaggy or all the Transformers he voiced. I guess I have a soft spot for Casey Kasem. One of the first real jobs I ever had was as a board operator and editor of America's Top 10 for my local radio station.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I was a big fan of Kasem's Top 40 Countdown for many, many years, until I moved into a region that didn't carry it. Of course, about that same time I pretty much stopped listening to radio and lost interest in current music as Rap and Grunge started to emerge -- but I still look back on those days of listening to Kasem's show with fond nostalgia.
  • Options
    Hey, guys. I'm new here, but I have listened to CGS almost since the beginning. I look forward to getting to know some of you guys and talking comics with you. You may have heard my recent ad on the podcast. I want to do something with any of you that are interested. I want to give you a free copy of my short story collection, Capes, for you to review. I respect you guys opinions and I feel like we're a part of a family that has grown up around this show, and I'd be honored if you'd give me a read and post a review on Amazon and/or goodreads. If you're interested, you can email me at chadwest@outlook.com

Here's the link to the Amazon page if you want to take a look. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCU0C2O
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Somebody at DC finally noticed that the Channel 52 pages were silly fun.

They've now had a funectomy.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Why should they be different from the other pages?
  • Options
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

My point. They were an aberration. One tiny spot of mirth in an otherwise homogenous soup of gloom.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

My point. They were an aberration. One tiny spot of mirth in an otherwise homogenous soup of gloom.
    I understand.

I should have put a wink or something behind my first reply.
  • Options
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

I understand.

I should have put a wink or something behind my first reply.
    'sOK. You gave me an excuse to type "homogenous soup of gloom", which I think should be the title of an album by Gerard Who.
  • Options
    It's a very good line.
  • Options
    Original Guardians to return.

I see they finally gave Ridiculous Space Archer some pants.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Given the menacing expressions on their faces, I'm not sure that they're going to have much success recruiting.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Given the menacing expressions on their faces, I'm not sure that they're going to have much success recruiting.
    Maybe they're all just suffering from Space Constipation.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    WetRats said:

Maybe they're all just suffering from Space Constipation.

Dang you for making me think about Space Constipation and zero G blowouts.
  • Options
    Just read that Mad Max: Fury Road is a 110-minute non-stop chase sequence.

From any other director but George Miller, I'd be skeptical as hell.

As it is, I say hell yes!
  • Options
    In another thread the name Pete Rose was brought up. There have been a lot of interviews about Pete from people close to the investigation (baseball's investigators) and the reporters that did the heavy lifting during the investigation. The basics were Pete regularly bet on games he was involved in, from the club house, but never bet against his team.

Which brings to my random thought: Pete's bookies must have loved him because he gave them the inside track, even if he didn't bet on a particular game.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    For those interested, Major Spoilers has a good episode up of the Kirby vs Marvel Supreme Court case.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2014
    Got my Kickstarter copy of The Guns of Shadow Valley in the mail today. It's a purdy book. I'm two chapters in and looks ain't the only thing this book's got!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Got my Kickstarter copy of The Guns of Shadow Valley in the mail today. It's a purdy book. I'm two chapters in and looks ain't the only thing this book's got!

So.

Very.

Jealous.

Saw the book at HeroesCon.

Still waiting on my copy.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I got the email too. Ahhh yeah.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    mwhitt80 said:

In another thread the name Pete Rose was brought up. There have been a lot of interviews about Pete from people close to the investigation (baseball's investigators) and the reporters that did the heavy lifting during the investigation. The basics were Pete regularly bet on games he was involved in, from the club house, but never bet against his team.

Which brings to my random thought: Pete's bookies must have loved him because he gave them the inside track, even if he didn't bet on a particular game.

I am not a huge baseball fan, but even I know that this is grounds for him to be drummed out and made a pariah in the sport. When he was coaching, he wouldn’t have been making decisions for the good of the team, he would be making decisions based on what was good for him financially. He might use up his good pitchers in meaningless games to run up the score and beat the spread, or otherwise not play the Long Game for short term cash.

Or, if he’s NOT betting on a game, he is sending a message to bookies that he believes his team will lose, so it’s a form of insider trading.

Baseball fans, is there anything I’m not understanding about this revelation?

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The telling thing about the whole Pete Rose controversy is that Bart Giamatti (the commish who seemingly made it his mission in life to get Rose banned), died eight days after the ruling came down.

You don't **** with Charlie Hustle. :)
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2014

Baseball fans, is there anything I’m not understanding about this revelation?

Nope.
  • Options
    <

Nope.

That's about it.

However the other pretty interesting thing about these interviews has been how much MLB was willing to work with Pete when the scandal was occurring. Pete was pretty inflexible about the whole thing (as noted by his continual denials up until recent years). Also I found it interesting how close he came being reinstated by MLB around the time he started admitting to the gambling.

The whole story is crazy
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Stan Lee is on Hell's Kitchen tonight
  • Options
    WetRats said:

fredzilla said:

So.

Very.

Jealous.

Saw the book at HeroesCon.

Still waiting on my copy.
    Mine arrived today!

• Options
    I strongly dislike all of you who have your copies of shadow valley.