Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    One of the founding fathers of sword and sorcery ( the cornerstone of fantasy I believe) Fritz Leiber's Fafhred and The Grey Mouser. Technically not a series as it is mainly short stories, a few novellas and a novel, Leiber pretty much invented the character rapport we see in all of fantasy. And unlike Howard whose word count felt heavy and repeatitive as often short stories from tht era did, Leiber's prose often matches Moorcock's for beauty. The second volume Swords Against Death I read it constantly as Jewels in the Forest is a masterpiece of the medium. No D&D table would be the same without the Barbarian and Thief combo and the stories are generally funny if not a bit licentious at times. The characters later appeared in Wonder Woman, Fables, and a Mike Mignola adaption from the late 80's. Many of these stories are must reads.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Bah my main cohost on the podcast had to quit cause of her new job. My other main co host is having major computer issues. So I am going to have to find someone to replace at least her.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    MST3K is coming back as a web series. I thought there was still some pretty bad blood between Mike/Kevin & Joel.
    Long live Rifftrax.
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me why it's called "What If Age of Ultron" when only 1 of 4 issues thus far has anything to do with Age of Ultron?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Can someone explain to me why it's called "What If Age of Ultron" when only 1 of 4 issues thus far has anything to do with Age of Ultron?

"What if Age of Ultron Had Nothing To Do With Age Of Ultron?" wouldn't fit on the cover?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Even if you used an acronymn,

W.I.A.O.U.H.N.T.D.W.A.O.U.

Does not really roll off the tongue.
  • Options
    Well boys I hope you have a good weekend. This afternoon I will be heading north to atlanta to watch game 4 of the Hawks-Pacers.
    This will be my first NBA playoff game. hopefully it will match my memories of my first MLB playoff game, Game 3 1991 NLCS (ATL vs Pit). I was 11 and went to my first Brave game that season (Braves vs Dadgers, Braves won) that season was magic.

Oddly enough I have never been to a Falcons game. My father hadn't either even though he lived with Rankin Smith JR for a year in college. He could have gone down to the field of the old Falcons stadium, and watched them get killed by the Goliath of the week. Dad lived with the sons of 3 of the richest men in ga, and he was a poor kid South GA.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

MST3K is coming back as a web series. I thought there was still some pretty bad blood between Mike/Kevin & Joel.
    Long live Rifftrax.

Do tell? More info on this web series? And will it be Joel & the Bots or what?

AFAIK, it wasn't so much Mike vs. Joel - Mike was a writer for the show pretty much from year 2 on and depending on who you talked to if you laughed at the joke - Mike was probably involved. I remember viewing a documentary where it was more Joel vs. Jim Mallon where Jim had broad big ideas for the show and Joel was more about maintaining what they had. Once Joel saw his baby getting away from him, he left rather than stand in the way of what other people wanted. But overall I think it's a case of who you talk to.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Originally I found out at grantland which lead to this article
  • Options
    The Hawks game was pretty awesome we had great front row seats in section 212 (center court mosuleum level), but with 9 minutes left in the 3rd an older couple walked by and offered us thier seats in the lower bowl (section 116). we decided to walk down and we kept walking; ended up 6 rows above the Hawks bench for most of the second half. We got on the jumbotron for like 15 seconds (special tip: play it cool and they will leave you on the jumbotron longer. We pretended not to notice and got our spotlight).

Hawks lost by missing the buzzer beating (game tying 3). All in all a great way to spend a 6th anniversary with my beautiful wife. Side note if you are ever in Phillips try Nava and get the 3 taco combo (amazing).
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I really hate shopping for a new car. It is a bit funny seeing car salesmen scurry when you turn to walk away and say no thanks.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2014
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

Long live Rifftrax.

Do tell? More info on this web series? And will it be Joel & the Bots or what?

AFAIK, it wasn't so much Mike vs. Joel - Mike was a writer for the show pretty much from year 2 on and depending on who you talked to if you laughed at the joke - Mike was probably involved. I remember viewing a documentary where it was more Joel vs. Jim Mallon where Jim had broad big ideas for the show and Joel was more about maintaining what they had. Once Joel saw his baby getting away from him, he left rather than stand in the way of what other people wanted. But overall I think it's a case of who you talk to.

I never got into this myself--just interested in too much other stuff--however, the new issue of Wired has an "oral history" on MST3K if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    random73 said:

My older brother is a huge StL Blues fan. He wants the Blues to be pallbearers at his funeral...so they can let him down one more time...

I hate the Pacers and I hate that the Hawks lost to that crappy team. Errrrr... I hate being a sports fan of Atlanta teams. The Hawks lose, the Braves lose 5 straight. Crappy week.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    mwhitt80 said:

random73 said:

... Errrrr... I hate being a sports fan of Atlanta teams. The Hawks lose, the Braves lose 5 straight. Crappy week.

Never hate being a fan of any team, at least not for something as inherit to the game as a losing streak. Hate that your team isn't doing as well as you'd like them to, but your fandom should be embraced unconditionally.

(Full disclosure, I'm a S.F. Giants fan so I couldn't be more pleased by the Giants recent sweep of the Braves. Of course, it had been a long time coming. The Giants hadn't swept the Braves in Atlanta since 1988. Rather than dwell on your team's recent performance, take in pride in knowing that in the long run, the Braves have performed admirably when playing the Giants on their home field.)
  • Options
    I have been a fan of the New Orleans Saints since 1978. That's a lot of years of wearing a bag on my head, but I never stopped being a fan. Vindication came eventually as we hoisted that Lombardi trophy high. Sure, we had to cripple a few people to do it and some bodies were found in the levee, but still... :)

Same deal with the UK Wildcats. I'll bleed blue and white until I die. Those years we were suspended? Yeah, there just wasn't any basketball that year. :)
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    These extra 2 weeks until the NFL draft have been murder.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

These extra 2 weeks until the NFL draft have been murder.

Yes, I hope the NFL understands they F'd up and change things next year.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Not sure why I was thinking about this today, but I started coming up with some catchy comic book collecting/geek-style names for bands (a la Kirby Krackle).

The Long Boxes
    Pull List
    Retcon
    Benday (sounds too much like "Bengay"?)
    Gutters and Panels

Can you think of any (that aren't already taken or wouldn't have some kind of trademark/copyright problem)?
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Not sure why I was thinking about this today, but I started coming up with some catchy comic book collecting/geek-style names for bands (a la Kirby Krackle).

The Long Boxes
    Pull List
    Retcon
    Benday (sounds too much like "Bengay"?)
    Gutters and Panels

Can you think of any (that aren't already taken or wouldn't have some kind of trademark/copyright problem)?

The World Eaters (I always wanted to do an epic concept album about the coming of Galactus as seen by the public.)

The Cape-Tuggers.

Biff! Pow! Zap!

The Back Issues

The Funky Flashmen

Excelsior!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Haralds of Galactus ...and each member must be named Harald.
  • Options
    Epsilon Flight - must be Canada-based.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited May 2014
    D.C. Dell and the Marvels
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
  • Options
    Ok I have escaped/now wild peacocks that have taken up residence near my house. They make a huge freaking racket.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    mwhitt80 said:

Ok I have escaped/now wild peacocks that have taken up residence near my house. They make a huge freaking racket.

They sucker you in with their flashy good looks, then once they're in your life, you can't shut them up.
  • Options
    Peacocks were nuts this morning; I swear they sound like pissed off geese only louder.
    kiwijase said:

They sucker you in with their flashy good looks, then once they're in your life, you can't shut them up.

There is probably a wife joke in there somewhere.

Ok onto a different topic. I just realized how thrown off my morning was when I had to take my precious 4 month old daughter to get her vacine shots. When I got back to the office I saw 3 new BS Reports. Bill Simmons is celebrating an anniversary of the BS Report, and I thought this isn't the right date he started Eye of the Sports Guy in early May many years ago... Yep.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.