Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Candidates For The Cancellation Calvacade

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2014
    I've been buying the Miracleman reprints each month. Never read it before. I'm looking forward to reading #9 so I can finally discover what all the hoopla is about.
  • Options
    David_D said:

@Chuck_Melville‌ a usual cancellation number would not apply to the Miracleman singles, as the cost to produce it would be far less than a new book. And given that the real market for Miracleman will likely be the long tail of collections and digital, as well as the inevitable uptick once they get to new Gaiman content and finish the story, the fact that they can sell tens of thousands of these reprint singles (at $5/pop, I think) is all win for them. As I have explained before, Miracleman is a different enough situation from other books in the line, that is probably not worth your even including on your gleeful 'this might get cancelled' list.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you. I'm by turns amused and disappointed by the book's performance, and think it should be doing much, much better. But I agree that Marvel's not going to cancel it anytime soon for the very reasons you mention. (I do pretty much say that in the listing.) But so long as its numbers droop so low, I'll keep listing it until it finally makes the climb upwards.

• Options

David_D said:

@Chuck_Melville‌ a usual cancellation number would not apply to the Miracleman singles, as the cost to produce it would be far less than a new book. And given that the real market for Miracleman will likely be the long tail of collections and digital, as well as the inevitable uptick once they get to new Gaiman content and finish the story, the fact that they can sell tens of thousands of these reprint singles (at $5/pop, I think) is all win for them. As I have explained before, Miracleman is a different enough situation from other books in the line, that is probably not worth your even including on your gleeful 'this might get cancelled' list.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you. I'm by turns amused and disappointed by the book's performance, and think it should be doing much, much better. But I agree that Marvel's not going to cancel it anytime soon for the very reasons you mention. (I do pretty much say that in the listing.) But so long as its numbers droop so low, I'll keep listing it until it finally makes the climb upwards.

Could you add Marvel's #6 then? Since it's the real #5
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

I just think the premise of the list is such that including Miracleman would be like trying to predict whether or not a certain Essentials or Masterwork series will continue or not. As these MM singles have more in common with trades than with the ongoing periodicals. But, it is your list, to do with as you wish.
  • Options
    My own "cancellation cavalcade" (ie - books I'm dropping) include the following:

New Warriors
    Sinestro
    Moon Knight
    Flash Gordon
    Earth 2
    Rocket Raccoon
    Night Crawler
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

My own "cancellation cavalcade" (ie - books I'm dropping) include the following:

New Warriors
    Sinestro
    Moon Knight
    Flash Gordon
    Earth 2
    Rocket Raccoon
    Night Crawler

Ha HA! That is a great idea! I should do that too!
    Moon Knight is definitely first on the chopping block for me.
    Mister Whiskers and Jake Waffles haven't renewed your interest in New Warriors? I can't wait for their spin-off title.

Also just realized that Nova managed to crawl out of Marvel's bottom five.
    don't call it a comeback.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Aside from wanting to see less of the "Mr. Knight" suit, I find Moon Knight to be an amazing series. Its the only Marvel book on my pull list.

M
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Matt said:

Aside from wanting to see less of the "Mr. Knight" suit, I find Moon Knight to be an amazing series. Its the only Marvel book on my pull list.

M

Then you need to run to the comic shop and pick up She-Hulk.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    mphil said:

Matt said:

M

Never been a big Hulk fan. Also, not a fan of characters breaking the 4th wall. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

mphil said:

Matt said:

M

Never been a big Hulk fan. Also, not a fan of characters breaking the 4th wall. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

M
    The fourth wall remains thoroughly intact this time around, Matt. Might be too much fun there for you though. ;)

Seriously, though, I think you might like the Black Widow series. I'm a few issues behind, but the first arc was pretty solid.
  • Options

Matt said:

mphil said:

Matt said:

M

M
    The fourth wall remains thoroughly intact this time around, Matt. Might be too much fun there for you though. ;)

Seriously, though, I think you might like the Black Widow series. I'm a few issues behind, but the first arc was pretty solid.
    Now THAT sounds more my style. I'll have to pick up the trade.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

M

That was, like, a million years ago.

In a galaxy Byrne, Byrne away.
  • Options
    Agree on She-Hulk and Black Widow. Both are very enjoyable books imo.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Ok this may get unpopular.

I love She Hulk, it is one of my top 2 comics Marvel is publishing. It is amazing, but...

Is it just me or is the art getting more and more garbage with every issue. It's the oddest thing because the storytelling part of the art is incredible, you don't need words to follow whats going on. Pulido and Wimberly are doing a great job at that.

However the actual drawings are getting worse and worse (Wimberly in particular). It's the opposite of what we always see in comics: great storytelling, but terrible art. It's like this series is the reverse Jim Lee.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Matt said:

M

Not reading Hawkguy? I love Hawkguy.

And if you don't like twice monthly shipping,. it's the book for you! I doubt it's twice annually shipping...
  • Options

Matt said:

M

And if you don't like twice monthly shipping,. it's the book for you! I doubt it's twice annually shipping...
    Actually, I'm reading Moon Knight, Big Trouble in Little China (for now), and about 3 books from Dynamite. That's about it. I struggle to find time to read those books.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

FOR.THE.WIN.

This book, even coming off an Eisner, lost all momentum. The latest issue almost seems to be trying to recapture the 'pizza dog' vibe, and while it is good, it just feels like the creators haven't respected the audience enough to put it out in a reasonable amount of time.

The reader has to go back to JANUARY to get up to speed on the latest issue. Plus they have jacked the final issue up to a $4.99 price tag. Is it triple sized issue? Maybe. Aside from that, the book has been great...

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

t's the opposite of what we always see in comics: great storytelling, but terrible art. It's like this series is the reverse Jim Lee.

I was trying to work the equation of a reverse Jim Lee as being a 'bad thing' and my head broke.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

I was trying to work the equation of a reverse Jim Lee as being a 'bad thing' and my head broke.

Hey I agree; it's not bad. Heck I'm pro being able to understand stories by using art.

It's just the art is progressively getting worse looking; I can't be the only person that has noticed this.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    mwhitt80 said:

I love She Hulk, it is one of my top 2 comics Marvel is publishing. It is amazing, but...

Is it just me or is the art getting more and more garbage with every issue. It's the oddest thing because the storytelling part of the art is incredible, you don't need words to follow whats going on. Pulido and Wimberly are doing a great job at that.

However the actual drawings are getting worse and worse (Wimberly in particular). It's the opposite of what we always see in comics: great storytelling, but terrible art. It's like this series is the reverse Jim Lee.

Yup, I'll second that. I dropped it after the 6th issue. I was really enjoying the story, but that art just detracted from the book as a whole too much for me though. If the art picks up again I'll be back in a heartbeat.

It was the only Marvel book I'm getting. Hawkguy was the other, but in trade. So haven't got a trade for a good year probably!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Yup, I'll second that. I dropped it after the 6th issue. I was really enjoying the story, but that art just detracted from the book as a whole too much for me though. If the art picks up again I'll be back in a heartbeat.

It was the only Marvel book I'm getting. Hawkguy was the other, but in trade. So haven't got a trade for a good year probably!
    I was put off initially by the art style at first, and it was a subject of debate in this very thread 4 months ago, but I've gotten behind on reading it, so I need to catch up before commenting further. I hope it hasn't gotten worse...

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited August 2014
    luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Agreed.
    I love me some She-Hulk. I was a little put off by Javier Pulido's style at first, but it grew on me quickly, and now I really dig his quirky art. It works well with the story. The latest issue (#7) is the best yet.

However, the Ron Wimberley fill in issues were unbearably terrible. THE WORST. The most extreme example of horrible artwork actually detracting from the story. If I didn't know that it was only temporary I would have absolutely dropped the title, no matter how much I was enjoying the storyline.
    Bad move from Marvel to release such off-putting artwork on a freshly launched title that can use all the help it can get. Wimberley was not doing She-Hulk any favours. I would be interested to see the drop in numbers after his issues. blah!
  • Options
    Yes indeed. After cracking open issue #5 I downright miss Pulido. Thankfully he will return for issue #7, though I admit Wimberly's forced perspectives are stronger than Pulido's 2D look. That's where the improvements end for me...

She-Hulk mash-up with Æon Flux?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2014

She-Hulk mash-up with Æon Flux?

I think I threw up a little.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Kind of reminds me of when guest artists would turn up in X-Statix. Allred's style was so singular that anything else would look awkward. I remember Paul Pope in particular doing some issues that just looked wrong.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I guess we have different tastes in art. I agree with everyone that Pulido was better, but I still prefer it to anything that Jim Lee or DC's "house style" has every put out. To me that's the absolute worst in mainstream comics. Bland. Without personality. Overly emphasizing the wrong things (making sure the 6-pack looks just right). Give me jagged lines and weird perspectives any day of the week overly nameless DC house art.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed any drop off in the quality of Pulido’s work. As for Wimberly, I don’t mind pushing the perspectives, but the perspective in this opening splash isn’t even consistent within itself. He’s obviously eyeballing it, rather than working it out.

Thankfully, the rest of the issue and the next aren’t this out of whack. He gets a bit sloppy with perspective all too often, and again, it’s often done without any seeming purpose, but that’s only one problem I have with his She-Hulk work. The biggest problem to me is that his women’s faces look like men in drag. There's one supporting character that looks feminine, but the rest do not. That comes down to over-rendering.

The weird thing is, I've seen a bunch of his other work, and he’s actually a very good artist. He knows how to properly exaggerate perspective. He knows how to draw women. He was doing something a bit different in She-Hulk, and it just didn’t work for me.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

The biggest problem to me is that his women’s faces look like men in drag.

I want to 'LOL' and 'Agree' this!
  • Options
    Pulido returns with issue #7
  • Options

Pulido returns with issue #7

Yep. It's already out.
    luke52 said:

The biggest problem to me is that his women’s faces look like men in drag.

I want to 'LOL' and 'Agree' this!
    It's harsh, but true! And he can draw pretty women. When drawing a woman's face, you have to use as few lines as possible. By drawing in too much of the nose, adding lines on chins and around the eyes, he removed all the femininity from the female faces. All things he should know. I wish I knew what he was thinking there.