Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A place for that most Predetermined of sports, Professional Wrestling

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    RIP, Blackjack Mulligan. He was one of my favorites when I was a young lad watching the Mid-Atlantic wrestling out of Florida in the mid- to late ’70s. You could keep your Ric Flairs and Dusty Rhodeses—I preferred the man with the Iron Claw.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just got invited to film and maybe do some backstage interviews for the big Mississippi Legends of wrestling tribute show next month. So far they got Pork Chop Cash,Kamala,Ted Dibiase Sr and Jr and a few others coming. Gonna be a gathering and a wrestling show. If it does well the promoter wants this to happen every year.

Am I the only one that ordered EVOLVE's Mercury Rising iPPV from Wrestlemania weekend? So far only watched the Chris Hero,who has really packed on some weight,vs Zack Sabre Jr match. But for me it was more entertaining than anything WWE has done in a year.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If you love wrestling and comics then check out From Parts Unknown - a comics anthology about pro wrestling, which is being funded by a newly-launched Kickstarter campaign.

The project is the brainchild of writer G. Brett Williams and former Marvel editor Lauren Sankovitch, and features work by professional wrestler Christopher Daniels, filmmakers Jen and Sylvia Soska, and comics creators including Joe Keatinge, Ed Luce, and Jason Latour. The cover features a painting by WWE’s favorite artist Rob Schamberger.There are some really great reward tiers as well. For just $25 ($20 if you’re fast enough) you receive a physical copy of the book. Higher tiers offer prints by Jake Standley and Rob Schamberger, and even watercolor paintings by Chip Zdarsky (but those are going fast).
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited May 2016
    The annual roseter cutdown has begun.

Hornswaggle, Santino Marella, Zeb Colter, Cameron, Alex Riley, Damien Sandow, Wade Barrett, and El Torito have been Future Endeavored.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Not a one of those is a surprise, but it's still disappointing, particularly Sandow whose talents I think they squandered horribly. They've been trying to bury him for a while and then he had the audacity to take the Mizdow gimmick they saddled him with (as a punishment, I always thought) and actually get over with it, and Vinnie Mac hates that.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    The Brooklyn Brawler is gone as well, which surprised a LOT of people, since he was thought to have a job for life.

ROH will pick up Sandow in a heartbeat and make him into a huge star for them. He was over with the crowd, was able to turn chicken shit into chicken cordon bleu and can work the stiff ROH style. WWE blew it by not pushing him.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

The Brooklyn Brawler is gone as well, which surprised a LOT of people, since he was thought to have a job for life.

They let Steve go? Geez I thought he was there for life.
  • Options
    Sweet Judas that was a great crowd. I love WCW crowds. The Nitro crowds were always interesting; the best might be a toss up between Panama City Beach or Dayton Beach crowds.

It's just amazing that at one point they were winning Monday nights. I'm saying this as a lifelong NWA/WCW guy (4Hoursemen 4Life, you such Sting/Lex/Dusty, Steamboat & the Funks get passes).
  • Options
    My thoughts on Extreme Rules 2016.

(Spoilers).

Also, in tagging the video on YouTube I referred to Roman Reigns as RO-man....That probably would have been more interesting wouldn't it.
  • Options
    Netflix has ordered a series based on the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

It's not a revival of the concept, instead it's a fictional show set in the company from the mid '80s.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

It's not a revival of the concept, instead it's a fictional show set in the company from the mid '80s.

I'm in. I loved GLOW back in the day.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm in. I loved GLOW back in the day.
    That was during a time I didn't watch, but I did see the documentary on it. It looks like a goofy show, but the documentary was amazing.
  • Options

That was during a time I didn't watch, but I did see the documentary on it. It looks like a goofy show, but the documentary was amazing.

It had horrible acting, really lame jokes, the occasional bad song or rap routine, and you could pretty much tell which women were there as actresses and which ones actually knew how to grapple.

In short, it was everything this MST3K fan could ever want. :)

That and several of the girls were VERY easy on the eyes. :)
  • Options
    GLOW was one of those things I would hear about but it never aired where I grew up, so I'd only ever see them when they'd appear on a weird assortment of other shows like Donahue or Family Feud.
  • Options
    A few of them went on to do other work. I know Tina Ferrari (her GLOW name) went on to be Ivory in the WWF. I think one of the Hollywoods (there were two) also had a brief wrestling career post-GLOW. One of the Farmer's Daughters was a model and actress...I think her biggest guest spot was on an episode of Married with Children, but IIRC not long after that she killed herself.
  • Options
    Andrade "Cien" Almas is awesome. We saw him at an NXT house show in Florida in March and twice when they made their Northeast tour a couple months back*, and he impressed us every time. I kinda hate the hat :smiley: , but otherwise I think he has "future NXT champ" written all over him (provided they book him right!).

*We saw the Kingston and Poughkeepsie shows... we were absolutely devastated we missed the Lowell show, particularly my wife who is a huge Balor fan (though she would have been unconsolable that night if we had been there!).
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2016
    Weekend of June 4th did another 2 day 2 event wrestling road trip.

Saturday was Chickasaw AL. For Gulf South Wrestling's Bullet Bob Armstrong Retirement show. Went down to film and do commentary,but was mostly there to meet Bullet Bob and the rest of the Armstrongs. About an hour before they let in the fans with the VIP meet and greet tickets we find out that Bullet will not be there.

So was still decent. Before the show the promoter was getting all the wrestlers to sign two huge signs advertising the show. Planning on raffling them off after the show. After intermission was over they announced that Bullet Bob couldn't make it. Then announced the signed sign raffle. No one bought tickets. So after the show while packing up equipment I saw the two signs. Asked the promoter if they wanted them got told I could have them. So I grabbed one and one of the other guys that came with me grabbed the other. It wasn't until 4am Monday morning as I was loading all my junk back into my car that I saw someone had signed Bullet Bob's name to the sign I got.

Sunday was the annual Wrestle Birmingham show. They brought in guys like Action Mike Jackson,Robert and Ron Fuller,Handsome Jimmy Golden,Derrick King,Former TNA tag team champ Chase Stevens and Tracy Smothers. This show did not only video and commentary work,but because the promoter didn't book any security I had to do that also during the main event.

Had Mr Smothers come out and sit at our commentary table during a match.

Funny thing is the week following the show I found out that cause on Saturday I wore a green NWA polo,plus most of the wrestlers knew me,then on Sunday wore a red NWA polo some of the younger guys and whatever thought I was a scout for the NWA. "Nah man just figured a polo shirt looked more professional than my normal whatever clean t-shirt is at the top of the pile.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbl4yAcFKen0gh_81PWFkA

THat is where you can find all the matches I filmed over the two shows.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Is Dean Ambrose really the champion we want? The kid is nice, but he is just enough off in every part of being a pro wrestler to seem like a joke. Is he just the transition champ for Rollins, Owens, and AJ's runs?

He's like a midcarder elevated to champ, the Miz part 2.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Is Dean Ambrose really the champion we want? The kid is nice, but he is just enough off in every part of being a pro wrestler to seem like a joke. Is he just the transition champ for Rollins, Owens, and AJ's runs?

He's like a midcarder elevated to champ, the Miz part 2.

He's over with the crowd, has been putting on good matches and my hypothesis is that they knew on Sunday that Reigns had failed a wellness test and needed to have the title pulled. It also gets rid of the damn MITB briefcase, which I have grown to hate.

I think that it also can give a good dynamic if we have the three Shield members fighting for the title.

What I don't get: Why is Rollins still a heel? He works like a babyface and the crowd cheers for him. Turn him already!
  • Options
    I get the Shield angle and it makes sense. It's just that the more see Dean Ambrose the more I see his flaws. I want to like him so much; I just can't take him seriously. I really hope he grows into the belt. He might need to talk to Peyton Manning's wife about getting some cycles of HGH because he needs to muscle up and steroids are terrible on your body.

Speaking of which Roman got popped for a wellness violation. 30 day suspension.
  • Options

Here are my thoughts on WWE Battleground 2016.

Contains Spoilers.

Why is this so late...Three letters; D-M-V!!!
  • Options
    In case any of you were wondering, the Raw title will be called the Universal Championship.
  • Options

In case any of you were wondering, the Raw title will be called the Universal Championship.

::rolls eyes::

Yeah, because Max Moon is gonna come back from outer space to challenge for it.