Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A place for that most Predetermined of sports, Professional Wrestling

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    After a 3 year hiatus Bayou Indie Wrestling is returning to my town. Happening in a bit over a week.

Gonna be filming and doing commentary for the matches. Plus gonna have a buddy run my gimmick table.

Plus this will be Ultimo Gallos first appearance in BIW. Hoping my order of 200 luchadore masks gets here in time for the show.

Besides that still keeping up with Lucha Underground,Ring of Honor,NJPW,Beyond Wrestling,Evolve and Impact. Gave up on WWE close to 3 years ago and don't miss it.

Glad to see Ray Rowe and Hansen got signed to WWE. While it means I won't get to chat with Ray at shows now.It is nice to see two great guys like War Machine get a chance to be seen by a bigger audience.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Read some reports that Coach is coming back to the WWE. He's taking the Booker T spot
  • Options
    Get the tables!

Devon and Bubba, our favorite brothers, Dudley are going in the WWE HoF. These are truly our favorite brothers from another mother.

No word on Spike or Big Dick.
  • Options
    Saw most of the Rumble PPV.

Men's Rumble was decent. But a bit too predictable.

Women's Rumble was the same. Too bad the end with Rousey was total crap.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I thought it was a really good rumble both men and women.

The Rousey stuff was what it was. We've watched that kind of thing a million times in wrestling and on scale of Tyson to robo cop it falls somewhere in the upper half.

I'm still trying to finish Wrestle Kingdom, so far it's been great. I've been having to watch around work, wife, and kids.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2018
    I enjoyed the Women’s Rumble a lot. I do not pay much attention to the current product until the Rumble thru Mania timeframe each year. The Rumble was my first time seeing Kairi Sane and Asuka. They are tremendous.

The Rousey stuff was typical. Her wearing the Piper jacket is cool and all but since it is multiple sizes too big for her, it makes her look like a little kid.

The Men’s rumber was meh. The three way title match was not good - Except for the stiff knee shot by Strowman and the Receipt punch from Lesnar.
  • Options
    I loved the Roman/Shinsuke showdown in the rumble, and I love that we got a winner that we actually wanted.

Asuke is fun, isn't she?
  • Options
    The women’s division is the main thing I want to watch now. I find most of the female characters more interesting than the male wrestlers.

• Options
    Double J Jeff Jarrett is going into the WWE HoF. A fun class right now. JJ was a more fun WCW character; I'll always enjoy the Slap Nuts guitar. And it's still a great thing to call your dummy buds.

In other JJ news, no he didn't extort Vince at No Mercy. He just told Vince he wouldn't wrestle before he got his back royalties paid (per Bruce Prichard). Unlike Warrior he only wanted to make sure he was square before he left (his contract was up).
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    That is J-E-Double F, J-A-Double R, E-Double T.

My favorite Jarrett memory was when he was 18 and working as a ref for his dad in Memphis. Superstar Bill Dundee and Nature Boy Buddy Landel beat up a couple of jobbers and then decided to pummle Jeff for good measure. His dad runs in and gets destroyed. Dutch Mantell makes the save. They have to carry the prone lifeless body of Jeff to to back. Lance Russell cuts a fiery promo on the whole deal. Later in the show, they stop the show and get on the Memphis hotline to the only guy who can team up with Dutch to stop Dundee and Landel - Jerry “The King” Lawler -who was at the time banished from the promotion after losing a loser leaves town match to Dundee. Dundee also gives a fantastic promo on how the promotion has a double standard between him and Lawler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QRZcrj-RBo

• Options
    About 3 weeks ago Bayou Indie Wrestling had their return show in my town. Drew a crowd of 250 in a massive thunderstorm.

Was a good show,made decent money selling dvds and wrestling stuff. 4 of the 5 matches on the show are up on my DIY Mississippi Filmworks YT channel.

But the highlight/lowlight of the show was after the second match. Former TNA tag champ Chase Stevens was the heel in the match. On his way out of the ringside area a 11 or 12 year old kid stood in front of him. Chase yelled at the kid and kicked an empty chair to scare the kid. The chair slid and hit a woman in the leg.

The woman,who works at the local Waffle House,jumped up and chased after Stevens. Took 3 people to hold her back. Which is funny cause this lady is at least 60 and might weigh 80lbs soaking wet.

I did get a bit of footage of the incident. But found out the next day the lady was going to a lawyer to see about suing Chase and the promoter. So to not give her any ammo I didn't upload my footage of the incident.

By the end of the show I had 10 DVDs left and had sold everything else I had for sale.

That's the poster for the show. I am assuming some people had car issues cause a few of the matches got changed.

I did see about half of Elimination Chamber on Sunday. Enjoyed the pre-show tag match. Hardy vs Wyatt was heatless. And the men's EC match was too predictable.
  • Options
    Daniel Bryan got cleared by WWE to wrestle again....
    I'm of two minds. Selfishly I love watching wrestling, but this doesn't end well. We've seen how brain damage looks in older athletes.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Johnny valiant died yesterday. He was hit by a truck while crossing a busy road outside of the crosswalk.
    We've all jaywalked across busy roads, and will do it again, but be aware and cautious.
  • Options
    I'm thinking we will see a face turn and El generico in post WrestleMania WWE. Prowrestling tees had his shirts on sale and I think he might come seeking justice for his pupil Sami Zayn. The righteous anger of generico is going to fall on someone.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm thinking we will see a face turn and El generico in post WrestleMania WWE. Prowrestling tees had his shirts on sale and I think he might come seeking justice for his pupil Sami Zayn. The righteous anger of generico is going to fall on someone.

Do you think the gimmick will get over with a national audience (and sponsors) in today’s environment? The white appropriation of Mexican culture headlines will hit fast and hard
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Minor spoiler for WrestleMania as my full review renders:

Is it safe to assume that given last night's result that the great Roman Reign experiment is effectively over?

I mean, you go through the whole build-up pushing Reigns as the guy who is more worthy given that he's there every week instead of whenever he wants to like Lesnar (who is supposed to be on his way out) only to then have him lose.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    They have to shorten the length of Wrestlemania. Expecting the crowd to be hot for the main event (even if they wanted/liked the match) after they have been there six or seven hours is ridiculous.

Also, I don’t want to turn into Jim Cornette, but having false finishes on pretty much every match on the card does not help your big matches get over.

The women’s division for me has clearly became the main reason to watch. Flair/Asuka was great, Bliss/Jax was very good, and Rousey stole the show.

For the men, Bryan’s return, AJ/Shinsuke, and Brock/Roman were all good but underwhelming.

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    If you have HBO the Andre the Giant documentary premieres tonight

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/andre-the-giant
  • Options
    Bruce Prichard is coming back to the WWE. Sort of....
    He and Conrad are bringing a version of the podcast to the network for 13 episodes. It sounds like it could be interesting, but Bruce will be even more political than usual.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    So if one wanted to get back into this would this be a good time? Especially with the WWE Network being a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    DAR said:

So if one wanted to get back into this would this be a good time? Especially with the WWE Network being a pretty good deal.

It depends on if you like Something to wrestle podcast. I'm a njpw subscriber, so I'm not going to get the network.

However if you like the podcast, and not a subscriber to the network, now would be a fantastic time to jump back in. For $9.99 a month you get access to almost every important wrestling event and memory of the last 35 years. It's a great deal, and wrestling is great right now.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Even if you just watch the monthly big shows, for $10 a month it is a great deal. Throw in NXT and all the historical stuff and it is a steal.
  • Options
    Andre doc airs tonight on HBO you guys have to tell me about it.