Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Is there any Phife Dawg on the new Tribe album?

I heard that he and QTip patched things up and did some recording before he died.

Phife is all over it. They stated recording in 2015, so he's on every track. They even brought Jarobi White back. Lots of guests too, particularly Busta Rhymes and Consequence.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    mwhitt80 said:

Is there any Phife Dawg on the new Tribe album?

I heard that he and QTip patched things up and did some recording before he died.

Yes, he's on it.

I've been unpacking it for a few days now and it's really great. As with the other "final albums" that have come out around the time of an artist's passing this year, I'm really thankful to get one last strong record from an artist I love. ATCQ is easily one of the all-time great hip hop acts ever, if not the best, IMO.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

As with the other "final albums" that have come out around the time of an artist's passing this year, I'm really thankful to get one last strong record from an artist I love. ATCQ is easily one of the all-time great hip hop acts ever, if not the best, IMO.

I'm with you. They're certainly my favorite. I'm not sure where I rank this yet, but it's definitely in the upper half of their catalog.
  • Options
    Any FNM fans here? I directed their last music video, Cone of Shame.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6Z0k5yiCmFs
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I've been playing with Spotify and rediscovered The Dreaming by Kate Bush.
    One of the greatest albums ever.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    We did our first record Store day today. It was really good. We spent way too much money, but with an anniversary, birthday, and father's day, we will spread out my records over a month.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Sadly my uncle passed away suddenly yesterday. When I was just getting into music when I was a kid he gave me a copy of Led Zeppelin IV and told me to listen to one one of the greatest bands ever. Ive been a huge fan ever since. Been a bitter sweet day listening to them throughout.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    My condolences, @luke52. I think everyone has a “cool uncle”, and if they don't they should. My cool uncle passed away from cancer about ten years ago, and I still think about him often.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Thanks @nweathington, he was certainly a cool uncle. We also went to see Eric Clapton perform a New Years Eve concert a few years ago. Best New Year's Eve I've had. Alot of good memories.
  • Options
    I learned how to fix a warped record.

My Shooter Jennings and the Waymores record was warped when i tried to play it last night. I just opened it, and ughhh. My wife suggested that if you drink enough it will sound fine.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Fatso Jetson is very good.
  • Options
    Just finished listening to the new Gorillaz album, Humanz. It's 26 tracks, but a lot of them are just transitional pieces, not really songs. All in all I like it. There aren’t any ear worms like “Feel Good Inc.” or “Clint Eastwood”, but there are several really nice tracks. The standout for me is “Let Me Out” with Mavis Staples and Pusha T.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Just finished listening to the new Gorillaz album, Humanz. It's 26 tracks, but a lot of them are just transitional pieces, not really songs. All in all I like it. There aren’t any ear worms like “Feel Good Inc.” or “Clint Eastwood”, but there are several really nice tracks. The standout for me is “Let Me Out” with Mavis Staples and Pusha T.

Just listened to that last night. Nothing really stood out to me but no buyers remorse.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I learned how to fix a warped record.

My Shooter Jennings and the Waymores record was warped when i tried to play it last night. I just opened it, and ughhh. My wife suggested that if you drink enough it will sound fine.

I tried it. Here's what I learned.

1) it worked mostly. The edge of this record looked like a squiggly lines now it is mostly straight and playable. I got it off eBay at close to cover price with free shipping, it was sealed, so I don't know who was at fault the seller or PO.

2) I did it at 175 for 2.5 minutes I should have done for 3 minutes (this may vary per album and oven, but this was my first time trying).

3) let the album sit under the glass for a few hours. I pulled it out from under the glass after it got cool, and was disappointed with the results. I placed it back under the glass over night with added weight and was very pleased with the final product.

So in conclusion try not to buy squiggly records, but if you do this can help. I'm not sure if my end result was due user error or a terrible starting point, but it made an unlistenable record enjoyable. I'll call it a win.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Not sure if this was shared somewhere else, but this is really cool. These guys rewrote Sgt. Peppers using Star Wars references. It's called Princes Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans. You can download the whole album for free at http://paletteswapninja.com

https://youtu.be/NYD3QtyEGGM
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I love the Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons. Hot Burritos! Is a fantastic collection of the the Gram Parsons years. If you are looking for some of Parsons solo work listen to GP and Grievous Angel

My favorite 3 Burrito Brothers songs
    Sin City
    Hot Burritos #1
    Wild Horses

4 favorite Gram Parsons songs
    Love Hurts
    Ooh Las Vegas
    Return of the Grievous Angel
    Brass Buttons
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Man RIP Chris Cornell. Guy had a hell of a voice
  • Options
    DAR said:

Man RIP Chris Cornell. Guy had a hell of a voice

I compare him to Ronnie James Dio, not so much because of the music or tonality, but in terms of how much they stood out from the other singers of their respective generations in their respective genres. Dude could belt it.

While I didn’t care as much for the music he helped create after Ultramega OK and Louder than Love, he always sounded great.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    One of the bands I was in back in the day played a lot of bands of our era - Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. - from a musical standpoint, the Soundgarden tunes were always the most challenging and yet the most satisfying when you nailed them (lots of drop tunings and off-time signatures). Audiences responded though...it was like they knew Soundgarden never made it easy.

Remains my favorite band of that whole era. Really sad to hear about Cornell's death.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

One of the bands I was in back in the day played a lot of bands of our era - Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. - from a musical standpoint, the Soundgarden tunes were always the most challenging and yet the most satisfying when you nailed them (lots of drop tunings and off-time signatures).

Kim Thayil is one of the most underappreciated guitarists out there.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    A lot of distinct and talented voices from the grunge era have passed on; Cobain, Hoon, Staley, Weiland, and now the late, great Chris Cornell. Rest in peace, Chris.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Over the weekend I heard few radio stations isolate Cornell's vocals from various Soundgarden and Audioslave songs. If you didn't have an appreciation for his voice, hearing that would definitely turn you in that direction. Rest in peace Chris.
  • Options
    I might be a bad father but I am jamming out with my 3 year old daughter to Shooter Jennings Manifesto #1 (put o back in country album if you are on Spotify) record.
    Cause we love vinyl
  • Options
    RIP Greg Allman
  • Options
    So there's been a lot of stuff about Sgt Pepper.

Here's my take, as an album for 99% of musical artists it would be their masterpiece. As a Beatles album it's somewhere in the middle if their discography. I find Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul t be better albums
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    DAR said:

So there's been a lot of stuff about Sgt Pepper.

Here's my take, as an album for 99% of musical artists it would be their masterpiece. As a Beatles album it's somewhere in the middle if their discography. I find Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul t be better albums

Agreed. Revolver and Rubber Soul to me are THE Beatles albums. And about 1/2 of the White Album. :smiley:
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967