Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    I liked DD. Looking foward to IF and LC but the Defenders? Sorry but no. As far as I am concerned there is only ONE group with that name and these guys ain't it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited May 2015

I liked DD. Looking foward to IF and LC but the Defenders? Sorry but no. As far as I am concerned there is only ONE group with that name and these guys ain't it.

And that goes twice for those new-fangled Ghostbusters!

;)
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I think he'll make a perfect Punisher.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    he was such a creep in the Walking Dead though!!!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    The Punisher should be a villain. He was when he first appeared.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    And he should not be a heartthrob. I like the boxer's-nose look.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I like that they are having Punisher plug into the world of Daredevil. I always thought his story and character fit better in that sandbox, than with Spidey.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    edited June 2015
    I actually think he will be good, strangely because of his performance in the Stallone/De Niro film classic Grudge Match. He plays like a good dad and I can see the way he goes from dad to vigilante. I have faith in him. He's got the build and a reasonable enough amount of talent. I just loved Thomas Jane so much, he will be hard to replace. (Ray Stevenson's Punisher really didn't count for me.)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited June 2015
    bamfbamf said:

he was such a creep in the Walking Dead though!!!

And he was a great guy in "Grudge Match", with DeNiro and Stallone. So what?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Eric_C said:

I actually think he will be good, strangely because of his performance in the Stallone/De Niro film classic Grudge Match. He plays like a good dad and I can see the way he goes from dad to vigilante. I have faith in him. He's got the build and a reasonable enough amount of talent. I just loved Thomas Jane so much, he will be hard to replace. (Ray Stevenson's Punisher really didn't count for me.)

Ahh...Raging Bull vs Rocky.

You know two guys were chatting about who would win in a fight and came up with this film.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    bamfbamf said:

filming for season 2 has started!!

get hyped!!

Wow... can't believe they have started filming already! Wonder if there will be any sort of cross-over with Alias? I thought for sure they would finish off the other three (Alias, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist), before they jumped into season 2.
  • Options
    They seem to be getting stuck in their Iron Fist adaptation. Seems the mystical aspect is the major stumbling block.. how much to emphasize it, if at all. They may downplay it much like Matt Murdock's powers were significantly downplayed.

More here... http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/02/marvel-hasnt-cracked-the-iron-fist-series-yet

"Part of what makes Iron Fist cool is the mystical stuff, and losing that just makes him feel like Baby Daredevil."
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Elodie Yung is cast as Elektra.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/07/daredevil-elektra-elodie-yung

Elektra is going to be Asian???

is this going to p1ss off the purists???

might as well merge Iron First and Shang Chi at this point and make him Asian too! =)

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/07/daredevil-elektra-elodie-yung

Elektra is going to be Asian???

might as well merge Iron First and Shang Chi at this point and make him Asian too! =)

Vondie Curtis-Hall worked as Ben.
  • Options
    HE WAS AWESOME AS BEN!!!
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

The only thing that will upset the purists would be to NOT give Iron Fist chi powers. He MAY as well be Shang Chi with no super-power.
  • Options
    Hex said:

bamfbamf said:

filming for season 2 has started!!

get hyped!!

Wow... can't believe they have started filming already! Wonder if there will be any sort of cross-over with Alias? I thought for sure they would finish off the other three (Alias, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist), before they jumped into season 2.
    And, if money and development pipeline capacity were no object, that would have been a great way to do it. But it saves money to get into a second season sooner rather than later. And there are big upfront costs (and capacity on the network side) of launching each one of these, so there are limits to how many of them can be in production at the same time.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    can't believe they don't have one of the other series up yet.
  • Options
    I'm not that surprised they are rolling the Marvel shows out this slowly. For Marvel, it lets them lay out the money (including the promotional money) as well as the promotional bandwidth, more slowly. They don't divert too much time or attention away from rolling out their bigger-ticket items (the theatrical cinematic universe). And each series gets to take time to build a fanbase. Remember, as this content doesn't broadcast across a schedule, it just goes live to either be quickly consumed by people already engaged by Marvel, or discovered more slowly by those who may have thought that superhero stuff wasn't for them, but hear word of mouth and give it a try. It might actually benefit them to let Daredevil hang out as an available season on Netflix for awhile before too quickly competing for attention with other Marvel shows. Then later they can get those already engaged Daredevil fans to not only be excited for the release of a second season, but also be the people who the suggestion algorithm, and promotional emails let know that there is also this other Marvel show that is available, AKA Jessica Jones (which should be live before DD season 2 goes live). And then continue to let it snowball.

Make too many of these shows available all at once, and not only do you have to lay out more money all at once (to potentially discover that the Netflix audience is not there for these shows the way they show up for the movies); but you may also alienate that more casual viewer who, if suddenly presented with an interconnected universe of three different shows to watch, all of which are already live, might decide that is too much of an investment and think, 'screw it'.

While a built up group of people who really enjoyed DD and are excited for season 2 might be the ones to target for Jessica Jones. And then then there is another show to check out while waiting for DD season 3 and JJ season 2, and onward.

For those of us already engaged with these brands-- we may get impatient. But we'll wait. It's not like we won't still be there once all these role out.

I think Marvel is in the rarefied position of having little to prove. All this Netflix stuff could have failed and they would still have the movies, and network shows.

And for Netflix, they don't need to package together hits with other lead-ins, or use hits to quickly lead in to other shows in some effort to compete and win the night. Because they don't need to win nights. They just need to be good enough that we don't think about that $8/month. And they have a LOT of content, original and long-tailed, to do that with.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm just surprised they don't have at least one of the other shows a bit further along in production.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I'm just surprised they don't have at least one of the other shows a bit further along in production.

What about Jessica Jones... That's well into prodiction.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

For those of us already engaged with these brands-- we may get impatient. But we'll wait. It's not like we won't still be there once all these role out.

Unless we're dead, of course...

:|
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Unless we're dead, of course...

:|
    Death is but a door. Time is but a window. We'll be back.

• Options
    Had to delete one.

Reminder-- this is a non-spoiler thread. News about the Netflix series, general discussion. To get in depth and spoilery for DD, please go here.
  • Options
    http://comicbook.com/2015/07/28/netflix-clarifies-defenders-release-schedule-jessica-jones-in-20/

"At the opening address of the Television Critics Association press tour, Neflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos confirmed that Marvel’s Jessica Jones will premiere by the end of 2015, as expected.

He further laid out the ideal schedule for Marvel’s Defenders group lineup of shows, which is to have a new series or season premiere every six months.

Sarandos also clarified that all of these Marvel series will crossover for The Defenders after each has launched, but that some will have multiple series prior to that. Daredevil is already one example, with Season 2 planned for early 2016."
  • Options
    sounds promising!

http://www.slashfilm.com/jessica-jones-tv-series/

“It all starts with Brian Michael Bendis’s Alias series,” Rosenberg said. “He created this incredibly flawed, damaged interesting character. Regardless of gender, it was the character that drew me. He wasn’t afraid to go there and we went even further. We’ve gone further in all of our storytelling.”

Speaking further about the dark tone of the show, Rosenberg said, “Well, is the audience going to respond to this or not? I don’t know, but if I’m afraid of it I’m doing the right thing.”