Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    To clarify: I was burned by the first issue of Alias, thinking it was about Sydney Bristow. I gave it a chance anyway, and the story was just not for me. So I think of the main character (JJ) as her alter-ego, the same way I think of her boyfriend by the better known of his codenames, Power Man. (I hope they do a Heroes for Hire spin in his show)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    All 13 episodes of Marvel's Daredevil Season 1 go live on April 10th starting at 12:01am Pacific Time

I'm guessing there might be some absences and tired eyes from IT departments and the like on that day...
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Sweet!
    David_D said:

I'm guessing there might be some absences and tired eyes from IT departments and the like on that day...

For sure.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    'twould seem that David Tennant will be playing a pivotal role on AKA Jessica Jones.

(I'll let somebody else do the actual spoiling...)
  • Options
    I heard he's playing a very colorful villian.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h334vn103YM

It's coming, so now you can add them to your 'My List'...!

Details here
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2015

A very nasty shade of purple?

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I kind of hope they dial his story back a bit for the show. My wife hasn't read Alias, but she knows generally what happened, and she said she won't watch Tennant in that role. I wonder, if they do follow the comic storyline with him, will he lose some of his female fans?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Mr_Cosmic said:

I kind of hope they dial his story back a bit for the show. My wife hasn't read Alias, but she knows generally what happened, and she said she won't watch Tennant in that role. I wonder, if they do follow the comic storyline with him, will he lose some of his female fans?
    It depends on the fans, I suppose. While I certainly respect someone choosing to not want to watch a storyline with that sort of content, if they don't want that in their evening's entertainment. I get that. So I could get where there may be Tennant fans who might not want to watch him in this material.

But as far as this losing him fans, I think that would be an overreaction. Acting is acting. If the material is handled well, and is not exploitative, then fans of a actor should not punish the actor they like for playing a despicable person. Or for being in something they don't want to see. It's acting, not endorsement. And acting shouldn't always be about playing characters that people like, or want to be. Nor is playing sweethearts a compact with your fans that you will always play more good guys. I think fans of an actor should be able to make that separation.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

It depends on the fans, I suppose. While I certainly respect someone choosing to not want to watch a storyline with that sort of content, if they don't want that in their evening's entertainment. I get that. So I could get where there may be Tennant fans who might not want to watch him in this material.

But as far as this losing him fans, I think that would be an overreaction. Acting is acting. If the material is handled well, and is not exploitative, then fans of a actor should not punish the actor they like for playing a despicable person. Or for being in something they don't want to see. It's acting, not endorsement. And acting shouldn't always be about playing characters that people like, or want to be. Nor is playing sweethearts a compact with your fans that you will always play more good guys. I think fans of an actor should be able to make that separation.
    I don't think I explained it very well. I brought it up because my wife (along with millions of other women) thinks he's adorable. Not only does she not want to watch that type of content, she doesn’t want to ruin her image of Tennant as the Doctor by associating him in any way with the type of character he'll be playing in Jessica Jones. And it's not about him playing a bad guy, but playing someone who does that specific thing.

Consciously, she knows he is an actor, etc., etc., but if she sees him perform the heinous things the character does in the comic, that image will stick with her and taint her enjoyment of watching him as the Doctor, logic be damned. It's the “I can’t unsee what I just saw” sort of thing. It's not about punishing the actor, it’s just not being able to enjoy his work in the same way. That’s just the way she is, and I doubt she’s the only person like that. And I would guess that most Tennant fans will be going into the show not knowing anything about the Alias comic and what his role will entail. They’ll probably be expecting a Tom Hiddleston type of performance, not... that.

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    David Tennant, Heartthrob, isn't a big enough draw for this sort of role to hurt his career. If he was that big of a heartthrob, then the Fright Night remake (a film which played off his perceived sex appeal) would have been a hit.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I don't think I explained it very well. I brought it up because my wife (along with millions of other women) thinks he's adorable. Not only does she not want to watch that type of content, she doesn’t want to ruin her image of Tennant as the Doctor by associating him in any way with the type of character he'll be playing in Jessica Jones. And it's not about him playing a bad guy, but playing someone who does that specific thing.

Consciously, she knows he is an actor, etc., etc., but if she sees him perform the heinous things the character does in the comic, that image will stick with her and taint her enjoyment of watching him as the Doctor, logic be damned. It's the “I can’t unsee what I just saw” sort of thing. It's not about punishing the actor, it’s just not being able to enjoy his work in the same way. That’s just the way she is, and I doubt she’s the only person like that. And I would guess that most Tennant fans will be going into the show not knowing anything about the Alias comic and what his role will entail. They’ll probably be expecting a Tom Hiddleston type of performance, not... that.
    Fair enough. And I get that some people might come to expect a certain kind of role from a certain actor they associate with a certain thing. But that might be exactly why he is looking to play a very different thing.

Like a band not making the same record over and over, or a comic book artist not deciding to never experiment or change their style, sometimes actors want to (or are compelled to) take those risks. For any fans of one thing they did or time of their career they might lose, they might end up trading them in for new ones. At the end of the day, artists (and many, though not all, actors are those) usually are more interested in what they are making next, and whether it compels or excites them, rather than putting their energy on brand management based on their past work. Risky? Sure, But being an actor is never a safe bet or smart money to begin with. So why get to the very rarefied and lucky point where you are successful and have choices, to only then limit your choices out of fear?
  • Options
    @David_D‌: I'm glad I waited to weigh in on this. Your actual professional actor's perspective quite exceeds my dabbler's perspective and, as usual, is far better-expressed.

I'll just say "Yeah. Ditto."
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    If anything, I'd think Tennant would be eager to break that image of himself at this point. It's great to have fans who like you for a certain type of role, but he's at the point in his career where's he's not even going to be cast as a lovable heartthrob anymore, so the more options he has, the better.
  • Options
    I just hope he shaves...

The only think I disliked about Broadchurch was his ridiculous "I'm so angsty" permastubble.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I just hope he shaves...

The only think I disliked about Broadchurch was his ridiculous "I'm so angsty" permastubble.

It was horrible.

Every time he came on screen I experienced phantom neck itches.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    David_D said:

And I get that some people might come to expect a certain kind of role from a certain actor they associate with a certain thing. But that might be exactly why he is looking to play a very different thing.

As soon as I saw the report, I assumed that's exactly why he's taking the role. My wife assumes that's why he's taking the role. I'm not saying he shouldn’t take the role. He’s already shown a desire to not be typecast by other roles he's taken, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Again, it appears I wasn't explaining myself very well. I wasn't questioning Tennant’s decision to take the role. What I'm wondering is how it will affect the reaction of the female viewership of the show. Here you have one of the few female leads for a superhero show, but the source material might be a bit off-putting to a female audience, especially one which might be expecting something else.

If they stick strictly to the source material, could it hurt the ratings of the show, and could that snowball and affect the ratings of the other shows? I don't know if it will or not, I'm just curious to see what the reaction will be.
  • Options
    I like whoever is handling casting at Marvel these days. I've yet to be disappointed.
  • Options

David_D said:

And I get that some people might come to expect a certain kind of role from a certain actor they associate with a certain thing. But that might be exactly why he is looking to play a very different thing.

As soon as I saw the report, I assumed that's exactly why he's taking the role. My wife assumes that's why he's taking the role. I'm not saying he shouldn’t take the role. He’s already shown a desire to not be typecast by other roles he's taken, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Again, it appears I wasn't explaining myself very well. I wasn't questioning Tennant’s decision to take the role. What I'm wondering is how it will affect the reaction of the female viewership of the show. Here you have one of the few female leads for a superhero show, but the source material might be a bit off-putting to a female audience, especially one which might be expecting something else.

If they stick strictly to the source material, could it hurt the ratings of the show, and could that snowball and affect the ratings of the other shows? I don't know if it will or not, I'm just curious to see what the reaction will be.
    I get that. And I do think it will be interesting to see the reaction. I think, of course, that it will come down to the skillfulness of the execution. If handled with dignity and humanity as drama, if it succeeds in moving the audience, then it becomes a big thing for the show to have handled.

I do think that, as it is episodic rather than a feature, and Netflix rather than broadcast, they have the opportunity to tell stories that are very different than the cinematic universe. In a world of Avengers movies, there is the opportunity for a Jessica Jones show to be very different than an Iron Man or Captain Marvel movie. And I hope they go for it. Remember- the Netflix audience are the people that made Breaking Bad a hit (and that audience knows Ritter-- no coincidence there). They may be gambling on a Netflix audience that can go to some dark places.
  • Options
    I was just thinking the other day that for years we've been wondering when we would get some more street level Marvel films. But the Marvel movie brand is so firmly established, I think they'd be afraid of the reaction when parents bring their kids to see a Daredevil/Punisher/etc film. They're either going to be unexpectedly gritty compared to everything else we've seen, or watered down to match in a way that disappoints. If they plan on doing something more adult, then the whole Netflix things makes more sense. Their only other option would be direct-to-video films, and these days a Netflix deal has more respectability than that.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I don't think it'll hurt ratings. I don't think it's the type of deal-breaker that one could pinpoint and measure in the ratings.

I don't think he will. I figure it'll be the same as any celebrity who has appeared on Law and Order: SVU.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:
    Fingers crossed for a Hellcat appearance. If these Netflix shows are culminating in a Defenders series, then Hellcat is a given. If you ask me, Patsy was (is?) the heart and soul of the Defenders. I love Hellcat. Her appearance was a highlight in the recent She-Hulk series.
  • Options
    Hex said:

WetRats said:
    Fingers crossed for a Hellcat appearance. If these Netflix shows are culminating in a Defenders series, then Hellcat is a given. If you ask me, Patsy was (is?) the heart and soul of the Defenders. I love Hellcat. Her appearance was a highlight in the recent She-Hulk series.
    Really? I always saw Patsy as a Defender-come-lately. She wasn't part of the Defenders that I remember as being core to the team. I would have thought of either Valkyrie or Nighthawk as having been the heart and soul of the team, as they were just about the only two members during the height of the series' original run who wanted the team to exist as a team, rather than as an occasional get-together when an emergency arose.

I generally have trouble remembering that Hellcat was ever a member at all, to be honest.

(Not that I have any problem with her appearing with the TV team on Netflix.)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Really? I always saw Patsy as a Defender-come-lately. She wasn't part of the Defenders that I remember as being core to the team. I would have thought of either Valkyrie or Nighthawk as having been the heart and soul of the team, as they were just about the only two members during the height of the series' original run who wanted the team to exist as a team, rather than as an occasional get-together when an emergency arose.

I generally have trouble remembering that Hellcat was ever a member at all, to be honest.

(Not that I have any problem with her appearing with the TV team on Netflix.)

Hellcat was always one of my favourite Defenders! You're right about Nighthawk and Valkyrie being two of the cornerstones (kinda like Thor and Iron Man in the Avengers), but Patsy was the cheerleader. I know the original Defenders were Hulk, Namor, Dr. Strange, and then the Silver Surfer, but it felt to me like none of them ever wanted to be part of the team, and just went along begrudgingly.

Maybe I have a soft spot for Hellcat because she was in the line-up when I first got into the book.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Maybe I have a soft spot for Hellcat because she was in the line-up when I first got into the book.

Ditto

• Options
    I just think she makes a great replacement for Carol Danvers, since they probably want to save Carol's intro for a movie, setting up for her own. Plus you get the added benefit of having someone actually connected to the Defenders, and one of Marvel's oldest characters (71 years! Where was her anniversary celebration last year?) being brought to the MCU.

It's also an open door for exploring the magical side of the MCU, considering her relationship with Damion Hellstrom.
  • Options
    Patsy Walker is the Hawkeye of super-heroes with animal names. When I was first introduced to Hellcat, she had been a long-standing member of the Defenders and was one of the few team members everyone seemed to feel comfortable around, until Satan had turned her into a literal "hell-cat" for the second time. I think I stuck with that series until the early 100's or so, eventually dropping it sometime after Hellcat left to marry the Son of Satan. Issue 101 was so depressing that I knew I wasn't long from dropping it. Comics books were supposed to be fun!

I drifted away from the book soon after and moved on to other books. When I later caught back up to Hellcat, she'd already committed suicide, gone to Hell, and been rescued (even though Hawkeye thought he was rescuing Mockingbird). Then she grappled with whether she really wanted to be alive or not, while getting mixed up in some big power struggle for control of the various Hells involving Mephisto, Dormammu, and her ex-husband Hellstrom. She's still one of those characters that lightens the mood.

imageimage

Personally, I'd rather see her show up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. than the Defenders. But if she shows up anywhere, I'll be happy about it.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I know the original Defenders were Hulk, Namor, Dr. Strange, and then the Silver Surfer, but it felt to me like none of them ever wanted to be part of the team, and just went along begrudgingly.

Yeah, but that was kind of the point -- the Defenders were never intended to be an official, regimented, card-carrying group. They were strong-willed individuals that were dragged together to deal with some world-shattering catastrophe-in-the-making, sometimes working together reluctantly. That made them more distinctive from a group like, say, the Avengers. Those, like Nighthawk, who really struggled to turn the group into a real team, were actually working against the grain.

Of course, I guess that particular stance made it difficult to make a monthly book believable in the long run, and was likely a factor in phasing out the original members over time.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Yeah, but that was kind of the point -- the Defenders were never intended to be an official, regimented, card-carrying group.

Oh, I know... The Defenders were billed as the Non-team. But I loved them so much, I wanted them to get their act together, become an official team, and show the Avengers how it was done! Hellcat's (and Nighthawk's) enthusiasm echoed my own. I guess that is why I liked her spunky character so much.