Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I think I stuck with that series until the early 100's or so, eventually dropping it sometime after Hellcat left to marry the Son of Satan. Issue 101 was so depressing that I knew I wasn't long from dropping it. Comics books were supposed to be fun!

That sounds about right around the same time I dropped the book too!
    ...and for the same reasons.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited February 2015
    I dropped The Defenders because it felt like it was being weird for the sake of being weird. The characters were fine, Nighthawk, Gargoyle, Valkeryie, Hellcat even Angel and Iceman towards the end. But the copper age stuff suffered from lackluster art and even worse narrative and foils. Except for a good Overmind/Squadron Supreme story it was dull and confusing almost the entirety of the post issue#100.

That being said I am very pumped for the Netflix stuff and quite frankly there is absolutely no reason to think that the 70's Defenders will share anything with Netflix stuff but name unless I missed something.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    At some time in the early '80s I bought nearly every Marvel title my allowance could handle. By that point, Defenders was so odd and inconsistent that it was one of the few I simply could never get a handle on. It wasn't until picking up the odd back issue here and there that I realized why people had once enjoyed it so much.

Didn't they wrap up the title by killing off a bunch of the team for no reason? I recall it having a very abrupt ending, which only added to the generally depressing tone of the book.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2015
    shroud68 said:

I dropped The Defenders because it felt like it was being weird for the sake of being weird. The characters were fine, Nighthawk, Gargoyle, Valkeryie, Hellcat even Angel and Iceman towards the end. But the copper age stuff suffered from lackluster art and even worse narrative and foils. Except for a good Overmind/Squadron Supreme story it was dull and confusing almost the entirety of the post issue#100.

I agree. By the time the title hit #100, it had lost its way and was almost unreadable. At some point (around #120?) it was renamed "New" Defenders, but it was not all that new, and still terrible.
    chrisw said:

Didn't they wrap up the title by killing off a bunch of the team for no reason? I recall it having a very abrupt ending, which only added to the generally depressing tone of the book.

Yes, most of the team sacrificed themselves containing "The Dragon of the Moon" (AKA Dark Moondragon). The series ended with most of the team wiped out (Valkyrie, Gargoyle, Moondragon, and a couple of other c-listers that are too lame to remember), conveniently leaving Angel, Beast, and Iceman free to launch X-Factor with the other original X-Men.

Let's just say the original Defenders series didn't go out on a high note. Every attempt by Marvel to relaunch the series (and there have been many), have sadly, never lasted very long.
    Fingers crossed that these Netflix shows will be a huge hit and the Defenders will once again get a shot at another series! Although I'm not all too interested in a Defenders that consists of Daredevil, Jewel, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. If Hellcat is in the lineup... sold!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited February 2015
    And the Daredevil teaser drops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3yXDFvybA

edit: Make that a teaser for a Teaser...
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Did they cast an Asian for Iron Fist yet?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2015
    Alright, I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness. I actually started buying Defenders more often towards the end, starting around #124. The Sandy Plunkett and Kevin Nowlan covers drew me in, and the weirdness kept me around. The Gargoyle became my favorite Defender (and I loved his mini-series). Guess that's just me.
  • Options
    He Gargoyle was all I liked about the last lineup of the original Defenders run.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Alright, I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness. I actually started buying Defenders more often towards the end, starting around #124. The Sandy Plunkett and Kevin Nowlan covers drew me in, and the weirdness kept me around. The Gargoyle became my favorite Defender (and I loved his mini-series). Guess that's just me.

The Gargoyle was great and very underused. Where is he now?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am so looking forward to this.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

He Gargoyle was all I liked about the last lineup of the original Defenders run.

Same thing here. I found the character unique, and to this day he's about all I recall from those issues. That's a big part of why that final issue disappointed me: he and Valkyrie were too important to just cast aside like that.

I think I'll look him up on Wikipedia now, because I'd like to know whatever happened to that character. I'm sure he's popped up since then.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    edited February 2015
    Just watched the full teaser that went up today for Daredevil. I liked the tone, but there still wasn't enough there for me to cast my full judgement down upon it ... though I'm sure I'll like the show :)
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    it looks pretty good... i'll def check it out
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

The Gargoyle was great and very underused. Where is he now?
    The last thing I read with him was Warren Ellis’ Hellstorm series, but I think he popped up in Heroes for Hire a while back.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Man. I just don't know about this. One second it looks and sounds good, the next it looks rather cheap/blah. Looks little better than a fan film sometimes. I really hope this costume is just temporary cause it really seems
    cheap / silly with what they've shown. I'm so on the fence of getting a Netflix acct for this.
  • Options
    This is his first costume from the Man of Fear storyline. The red costume will show up in this series, but not until near the end. I think it looks great and I'm already a Netflix subscriber, so im not feeling anything but good about it. Why not wait until you see some reviews here? Besides, I think you can still get Netflix free for a month to try it out. Not a bad arrangement.
  • Options
    So this black costume is the one he wears before the yellow costume? When I saw it, I was reminded of the costume that I remember Daredevil wore in that Hulk made-for-tv movie. I didn't realize that it was part of his history. It's not bad though.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

So this black costume is the one he wears before the yellow costume? When I saw it, I was reminded of the costume that I remember Daredevil wore in that Hulk made-for-tv movie. I didn't realize that it was part of his history. It's not bad though.

Retroactively part of his history, and even then only for about five seconds, but yeah.

Trailer didn't blow me away, but since I have Netflix, I'm going to give them each a shot. Otherwise I'd probably wait and see.
  • Options
    My wife just got Netflix so he can bing watch Orange is the New Black so now I have it and will watch these shows. I'm pretty excited about it. I see. I don't ever remember Daredevil wearing the costume back when he was first around. Did he wear it once and then change the costume?
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    jaydee74 said:

My wife just got Netflix so he can bing watch Orange is the New Black so now I have it and will watch these shows. I'm pretty excited about it. I see. I don't ever remember Daredevil wearing the costume back when he was first around. Did he wear it once and then change the costume?

It appeared in Frank Miller & John Romita Jr's Daredevil origin mini-series The Man Without Fear. Which apparently was a story Miller had originally planned as a movie script, so there's some added novelty in seeing it on film.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jaydee74 said:

I'm pretty excited about it. I see. I don't ever remember Daredevil wearing the costume back when he was first around. Did he wear it once and then change the costume?

No @jaydee74. This iteration was only first introduced in 1993 when JRjr collaborated with writer Frank Miller and inker Al Williamson to create the Daredevil: Man Without Fear 5 issue miniseries. That storyline re-imagined Matt Murdock’s origin story creating an arguably better version than the origin story from the Silver Age. Not only did it include this version as Matt's first costume, it added even more nuances to the character by exploring the fine line between how a person chooses between being a hero or a villain. And I would say that most of the “new” characters that Miller and JRjr blended into the story work splendidly in terms of visual aesthetic and overall tone, making this mini-series the definitive take on the character’s early days.

I'm pleased the Netflix series is mining this material.

• Options
    jaydee74 said:

First photo of Daredevil. I'm hoping its pre-costume, otherwise it reminds me of this:

Glad I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    Hmm.... of all DD's costumes, a black one makes the most sense to me, much more than red leather or yellow spandex. I apparently wasn't so scarred by the 1989 TV movie Trial of the Incredible Hulk appearance of a black costumed Daredevil from 25 years ago that I expect to be distracted while watching this new Netflix series.
  • Options

Hmm.... of all DD's costumes, a black one makes the most sense to me, much more than red leather or yellow spandex. I apparently wasn't so scarred by the 1989 TV movie Trial of the Incredible Hulk appearance of a black costumed Daredevil from 25 years ago that I expect to be distracted while watching this new Netflix series.

It is all I see when I look at it. But I've never been a big DD fan (I love the Waid/Samnee run but still don't care much for the character), so my associations with the character are few, that movie being one of them. The Frank Miller/JRJR story is not.

Plus I just don't like it. It looks like a track suit with a giant bandana wrapped around his head. A generic ninja. It's like putting the x-men in black leather or dead pool in a red t-shirt. I like the costumes. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just part of being a superhero. At least one that has a costume.
  • Options
    Be that as it may, it is part of DD's canon now for his origin. Hopefully you will find some enjoyment from the film in spite of the generic ninja costume. You may be pleased to know that the traditional red costume will make its appearance near the end of the series.
  • Options

Be that as it may, it is part of DD's canon now for his origin. Hopefully you will find some enjoyment from the film in spite of the generic ninja costume. You may be pleased to know that the traditional red costume will make its appearance near the end of the series.

Oh, I'm going to watch it, and if it's good I'll be enjoying it regardless of pajama ninja. Not a huge fan of Steven S. Knight, and MCU TV has been shaky for me so far (I think my opinions on AoS S1 and Agent Carter are pretty well documented), but I'm excited despite myself.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Did they cast an Asian for Iron Fist yet?

Na, no cast as yet (mildly upsetting) I'm not so sure they'll go with an Asian actor. Despite the understandable calls for diversity there's a element of racial stereotyping in casting an Asian man as a kung fu superhero. Regardless, if the initial look at DD is anything to go by, Marvel still knows what they are doing and I have faith IronFist will be amazing :D
  • Options
    So Melvin Potter aka the gladiator has been confirmed in the DD series so I guess we know who's going to be making DD's red costume by the end :D