Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Podcasts- What are you listening to?

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    billydx24 said:

Tell Em Steve Dave. The best

I listened for a while but it didn't hold my interest more than a few episodes.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hmm don't think I have mentioned the below podcasts before.

All Gen Gamers-on a hiatus but mostly covers pre-PS1 era stuff.
    CU podcast-Pat teh NES Punk's 2 times a month show. Covers old and new video game stuff.
    Exploited Cinema-Sadly it is ending,final episode should be up anytime now,but covers horror,cult,exploitation and other non-mainstream genres of cinema. Not for those easily offended.
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    popestu said:

NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour
    Real Time with Bill Maher
    Freakanomics Radio
    Science Friday
    Serial
    Star Talk
    NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    CGS
    iFanboy
    Serial

Serial, and no Undisclosed!? My friend, you must look up Undisclosed and get yourself caught up! :)
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    compsolut said:

popestu said:

Real Time with Bill Maher
    Freakanomics Radio
    Science Friday
    Serial
    Star Talk
    NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    CGS
    iFanboy
    Serial

Serial, and no Undisclosed!? My friend, you must look up Undisclosed and get yourself caught up! :)
    OK. Maybe I will. Thanks.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    popestu said:

"And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say nigger in public,"

No usage is referred to. No context is presented. He is saying that the polite gesture of not using the word in public is not proof that rasism is dead. Its not about a word. Its about a mentality.

Many people would argue that the use of the term "the n-word" is racist. Its a way to say a word without verbalizing it, yet everyone in earshot is thinking the exact word that is being avoided (think Fox news and old people). Its like "he who will not be named". Making something taboo gives it power.

The fact that 500,000 tweets include it shows that all those users are racist or they use it for entirely different reasons.

Again, to quote Carlin, "There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and words."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ezVpT8Zew
  • billydx24billydx24 Posts: 14
    Mr_Cosmic said:

billydx24 said:

Tell Em Steve Dave. The best

I listened for a while but it didn't hold my interest more than a few episodes.

Ok, well great. I like it. I enjoy the inside jokes.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone here listen to the LeagueCast by the Geek League of America?

Well produced, funny panel of geeks discussing geek culture. Irreverent, funny, topical, and consistent. One hour weekly episodes.

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/
    kiwijase said:

popestu said:

"And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say nigger in public,"

No usage is referred to. No context is presented. He is saying that the polite gesture of not using the word in public is not proof that rasism is dead. Its not about a word. Its about a mentality.

Many people would argue that the use of the term "the n-word" is racist. Its a way to say a word without verbalizing it, yet everyone in earshot is thinking the exact word that is being avoided (think Fox news and old people). Its like "he who will not be named". Making something taboo gives it power.

The fact that 500,000 tweets include it shows that all those users are racist or they use it for entirely different reasons.

Again, to quote Carlin, "There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and words."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ezVpT8Zew
    Love it. He's right, you know.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Harmontown is playing Shadowrun now.

"Playing" "Shadowrun" more like...
    I've not listened to harmontown since the second week of shadowrun. It got bumped back BC I wanted to relisten to James Bond books. Now I'm like 70 episodes behind. There's only so much time.
    I'll stick with Frank and Sadie Doyle.

I'd rather listen to genuinely funny people pretending to be drunks than real drunks pretending to be funny.
    Paget Brewster is just AWESOME!
    Thanks for mentioning TAH. I've spent the last few days listening. Wish I'd discovered them sooner. Would like to have the Kickstarter anthology.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

I've not listened to harmontown since the second week of shadowrun. It got bumped back BC I wanted to relisten to James Bond books. Now I'm like 70 episodes behind. There's only so much time.

I'd rather listen to genuinely funny people pretending to be drunks than real drunks pretending to be funny.
    Thanks for mentioning TAH. I've spent the last few days listening. Wish I'd discovered them sooner. Would like to have the Kickstarter anthology.
    Yes.

Yes she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Yes.

Yes she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ
    This is going to become the message on my answering machine.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Word Ballon has a good interview Reggie Hudlin on milestone and with Bob Bretall on collecting comics (has the world's largest comics collection)
  • JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    The 99% Invisible podcast is amazing. The two that stick out - The Sunshine Hotel and Game Over. Well produced, short, docustyle radio podcasts about architecture/design but more about the story than the structure. Fascinating.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm catching up on CGS again!

I fell behind for a year. And I've got dozens of other podcasts to listen to as well.
    edited December 2016

Listen with regularity:
    CGS
    The Comic Book Page
    Collected Comics Library
    Comic Timing
    Kray-Z Comics

Listen irregularly:

Two True Freaks
    The Infinite Longbox
    11 O'Clock Comics

Have subscribed, but haven't checked out:
    Comicsverse
    Comicsforfunandprofit
    Dave Talks Comics

2.5 years later, many things have changed. I'm still only listening to 3 of the same podcasts I listed above. Here are the ones I currently listen to with some regularity (links included).

Comics & Geek Culture:
    Comic Geek Speak
    The Comic Book Page
    Geek League of America
    Comics for Fun & Profit
    Collected Comics Library
    The Sci-Fi Christian

Other Topics:
    The Adam Carolla Show
    No Agenda with Adam Curry
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    Bret Easton Ellis Podcast
    Kingmaker
    Quarter to Three Movie Podcast
    mwhitt80 said:

Current list
    ESPN
    Oberman
    Behind the Bets
    BS Report (listening since it was the Eye of The Sportsguy)
    Cheap Heat (David Shumaker's Grantland wrestling podcast)
    Do You like Prince Movies (Wesley Morris & Alex Papdemas GL Movie/Music)
    Hollywood Prospectus (Chris Ryan & Andy Greenwald GL TV/Music)
    Jalen Rose Show (Jalen Rose & Dave Jacoby)

Comics
    CGS
    Crankcast
    Wordballon

Other
    Art of Wrestling (Colt Cabana's wrestling show)
    Steve Austin Show
    The Starters (formerly The Basketball Jones)

And I am relistening to Tom vs Comics (maybe the greatest comics podcast ever) as I go to sleep. I just finished Tom vs. JLA the other night, it takes a while when you have to keep relistening to the same episode 3/4/5 nights in a row because you keep falling asleep after the introduction.

Let's see all of those are gone now.

My list looks like this
    Comics
    CGS
    Crankcast
    Word Ballon
    Tom vs Comics!

Sports
    The Starters
    Channel 33 NBA Show
    The Bill Simmons Show
    Puck Soup

Other
    Masked Man Show
    Art of Wrestling
    The Sporkful
    Good list @mwhitt80

What's the Sporkful about?
    edited December 2016
    The Sporkful is a fun food podcast by Dan Pashman (from You're Eating it Wrong on the cooking channel). It's got a lot of fun shows for people that like to eat.

Side note from his cooking show. We have been eating pizza wrong, and we are dopes for it. I tried his Paradigm shift method and Pashman was right
    mwhitt80 said:

Side note from his cooking show. We have been eating pizza wrong, and we are dopes for it. I tried his method and Pashman was right.

I didn't know there WAS a wrong way to eat pizza. I must investigate this.
    I was watching his burger episode on cooking channel and while I don't agree with everything in it putting the cheese on the bottom of the burger is a must. I've been building burgers like that since I was a kid and figured out the cheese melts better with the burger sitting on top.

mwhitt80 said:

Side note from his cooking show. We have been eating pizza wrong, and we are dopes for it. I tried his method and Pashman was right.

I didn't know there WAS a wrong way to eat pizza. I must investigate this.
    Fork and knife is most definitely wrong.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Comic Geek Speak
    Only the Valiant - Valiant Comics Review
    Legion of Substitute Podcastetd

StarTalk
    Alton Browncast
    Stuff You Missed in History Class
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    A couple I've just started listening to:

You Must Remember This
    A podcast about the golden era of Hollywood from the 30s - 50s.

Welcome to Night Vale
    I'm not sure about this one yet. I like the local radio setup, but there seems to be too much going on, hopefully I'll get used to it.
    edited December 2016
    Marathon said:

A couple I've just started listening to:

You Must Remember This
    A podcast about the golden era of Hollywood from the 30s - 50s.

Welcome to Night Vale
    I'm not sure about this one yet. I like the local radio setup, but there seems to be too much going on, hopefully I'll get used to it.

I really like nightvale. I go through seasons with listening to it.

Here's one I enjoy Skald by Aubrey Siterson. He designed an original sword and sandals story to told and not read. As he says at the start of every show. "This is me telling you not reading you a story". It's a weekly podcast. The episodes are about 15-20 minutes long, and really enjoyable. I'll go a month without listening then binge 5 or 6 episodes
    It's been a while.

My current listening top 5
    Boxing with Chris Mannix
    The Masked Man Show
    The Lowe Post
    The Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana
    The Bill Simmons podcast
    Hello from the magic tavern
    Ifanboy
    Freakonomics
    Real time with Bill Maher
    Star Wars Minute
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Three podcast for me at the moment. CGS Obviously. John Robins and Elis James Radio X couple British comedians have weekly show, really funny show. Tell em Steve Dave Couple guys from Comic Book Men and Brian Quinn from Impractical Jokers.
  • I haven't listened to any other episodes yet, so I can't comment on this podcast as a whole. However, when searching Youtube for videos relating to one of my favorite publishers, Alterna Comics, I found this episode of The Reasons I'm Broke that features an excellent interview with Alterna Comics' founder, Peter Simeti. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK2VBqplaZQ

Also, I've become a regular listener of The Comics Alternative. The hosts clearly have a knowledge of comics and a love for sharing them. In addition to reviews and interviews, there are also episodes that fall into more specific categories. These categories include reviews and discussions of comics for young readers, manga, web comics and Euro comics. http://comicsalternative.com/
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2018
    A little serialized mini-series that I listened to recently, and I would recommend as a very well-crafted, rabbit hole of an experience is The Polybius Conspiracy from Radiotopia's Showcase.
    Let's do an update to the old list it's only been 6 months.

GASP - graphic audio's podcast that gives a new audio story in weekly installments. So far it is 4/5 of the way through story 3.

Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon - a really good interview show with rockers. It's introduced me to a lot of good really good music that I would have missed.

We Never Played the Game podcast - Two Atlanta sports media (Zach Klein, wsb and Jeff Shultz, ajc) talk about georgia sports and interview sports personalities. I recommend Roddy White discussing the Falcons post Superbowl, Vince Dooley his love of gardening and history, Ric Flair, DJ Shockley o n what it's like being a backup when you are one of the best QBs in the nation.