Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Gotham

Comments

• Options
    JaxUr said:
    I dunno about newly-created; there was an Ogre during the 90's when Kelley Jones was drawing the book. He might be reimagined for the TV series, though.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I've been enjoying the show. I'm getting a bit sick of Fish Moony though. When Oswald got the club, I so thought he was going to name it the Iceberg Lounge. I didn't mind the Bruce Wayne portion of the episode. I like seeing the ground floor of the birth of Batman being developed in a series like this. It's interesting. I'm liking the relationship between Leslie and Jim although I'm curious as to what's going to happen with Barbara. The show is good. Not great but it intrigues me enough to watch.
  • Options
    Okay, help a brother out. I must have dozed off during part of last week's episode. I have no idea where Fish Mooney is? She's in some underground prison of some sort?
  • Options

Okay, help a brother out. I must have dozed off during part of last week's episode. I have no idea where Fish Mooney is? She's in some underground prison of some sort?

Same boat as you. There are pirates off the coast of Gotham?
  • Options
    Some live in Gotham itself.

• Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Just marathoned the last 5 episodes and I enjoyed all of them. Jim and Leslie are a much better couple then him and Barbara. I really think Barbara should not have been a character in this show right off the bat. She's terrible.

But the worst character without question is Fish because with Barbara she's barely in any episodes but Fish takes up chunks and she's awful. Just how stupid and cliche is it that Falcone didn't kill her and her man immediately? I'll be honest I started fast forwarding her scenes because i hate her.

It really feels like Penguin has taken a step back even though he got Fish out. He's not feeling as planning and manipulative as he was. But that scene between him and Riddler was hilarious.

Bruce has been good not at all surprised Selina lied. And I really hoped and thought he'd find the bat cave on his hike. And Bruce and Alfred relationship is growing and that finally scene with the Board is interesting.

And that Circus kid is clearly the Joker and I thought he was really good. He was like a mix between Heath Ledger and Jack.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Fish needs to die. Barbara, Montoya and her partner need to just disappear. i was pleasantly surprized and impressed by the joker kid. Totally expected to hate it but I liked the back story idea and the performance etc. Can't get enough young bruce and Alfred. I didn't even think of the potential for the cave. They really should've dropped some kind of nod to it there.
  • Options
    Oh, I also totally expected the joker kid to put on his dads hat in the end since it was near identical to nicholsons from 1989
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Oh, I also totally expected the joker kid to put on his dads hat in the end since it was near identical to nicholsons from 1989

If he is in fact the Joker I was definitely thinking the same thing. Maybe a scene for a future episode where he'll kill him and don his hat.
  • Options
    So... last night they gave us the Red Hood... the identity the Joker utilized before the accident that transformed his features permanently. I was curious to see how they'd handle it, since it's way too soon for that particular event to occur in the Batman mythos...

What we got, I didn't expect. They said it was Red Hood, but it was more like...

The premise of the DC Impact version of Black Hood was very much like what we got with the Red Hood, at least to an extent.

That said, I did actually enjoy the episode for the most part; one of the better episodes to date.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Looking forward to Smith's Fish Mooney character having a crossover with Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury now. :)
  • Options
    Red hood ep was ok. Nothing great. Seems they're working on having a "who is or will be the real joker" running subplot through the show (which I think is kindve a cool idea). Am I nuts or did the first red hood guy not have his hair done identically like joker from BTAS? The dollmaker / fish story is kindve stupid and her eyeball scene was just nuts. Just gratuitous and far too graphic imo. But then I still dislike her and everything about her to date (although I thought her acting was improved here).
    Really enjoyed the Alfred bruce stuff. Damn I wish that was the show and the other stuff were b-c stories instead of the other way around. Liking Gordon more and more. Past time for more bullock characterization and presence. Growing tired of penguin even though hes entertaining etc. and I still hate that it's the penguin / fish mooney show. As originally anticipated.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Anyone notice that during that shoot-out in the house with the old couple that the lady fell without getting shot or hit? That looked like a bad edit job.
  • Options
    Was she shot or did she just turn, fall and hit her head on the table after tripping? Wasn't clear to me, either.

Otherwise, great episode. I agree that it needs a lot more Alfred/Young Bruce and a lot less Fish (although the character has gotten somewhat better). Particularly liked that Bruce let on he was well aware of why Alfred's friend was visiting and that he knew what Wayne Ent.'s board was up to. Oh yeah, this kid is Batman...no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Anyone notice that during that shoot-out in the house with the old couple that the lady fell without getting shot or hit? That looked like a bad edit job.

I thought she just tripped and fell while trying to get away, and then knocked herself out on the mantlepiece.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    batlaw said:

Am I nuts or did the first red hood guy not have his hair done identically like joker from BTAS?

I saw that too. I didn't expect him to be killed off because of that.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I would imagine some of you will be pleased by this announcement.

Jada Pinkett Smith not returning for season 2.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I would imagine some of you will be pleased by this announcement.

Jada Pinkett Smith not returning for season 2.

Here's the crux (for me at least):

- They finally started making Fish Mooney interesting. Now she's not coming back.
    - If they're not killing her off, that's one thing. She could make cameos or just show up for special episodes to make Penguin's life a little more uncomfortable.
    - If they're killing her off, then what was the bloody point of shipping her off to the island?

So I'm puzzled, but not necessarily pleased, by the announcement.

• Options
    I caught up again. I definitely say marathon this show is the way to go. Episodes 17 - 21.

Really enjoyed the last 3 episodes them dealing with a serial killer was good. Like that Jim is starting to get some notoriety and moving up the ranks is good. I like his relationship between Lee much more than Barbara.

Liking the Bruce and Selina stuff really like there conversation about killing or not killing and Selina said it best that's there biggest difference. Loved seeing Fox and that he gave Bruce some hope that his father wasn't completely on board with the companies dealings.

Penguin starting the war was great and seeing Nygma grow more into the Riddler is good.

Still hate Barbara and Fish worst thing about the series.

Overall I really have liked it. At first I was watching it one episode at a time and wasn't enjoying that much but started watching it in bunches it has grown on me.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I see no reason for Bruce Wayne to be in the show.

There's too many different plots. We need 3 at most. We have like 5 or 6.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It's I nteresting that in their TV universe, DC went with Bruce Wayne being the youngest character on the show and in the movie universe they've locked themselves into Bruce being the much older, gray-haired hero.

What is Continuity?
  • Options
    mphil said:

I see no reason for Bruce Wayne to be in the show.

There's too many different plots. We need 3 at most. We have like 5 or 6.

He is the one pushing his parents murder being solved. And there showing how he goes from being a kid to having the goal that will eventually be Batman.

And I feel like there setting up the Court Of Owls though this plotline.
  • Options
    I have to admit I kinda mentally cheered when Lucius Fox showed up.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    It's been nearly a full season, and I'm still not won over. In my case, it benefits from a time slot when there's nothing else I'd rather watch, and I've an hour to kill before heading off to work.

I was just listening to an NPR reviewer who declared (in his opinion) that this series was the weakest of the current crop of superhero shows, having started off strong but soon falling into convoluted storylines, and is losing one of its strongest characters (Fish Mooney) since Jada Pinkett won't be coming back next season.

I just regard the whole show with a sense of 'meh'. It feels more like an exercise to fit in as many Batman villains as possible without regard to their established characters or histories. Penguin feels genuine enough, though I'm still looking for his fascination with exotic birds and gimmicky umbrellas -- but Riddler feels way off base. Nigma was a slick conman with a penchant for puzzles and a need for competition against an equal intellect -- not a sociopath. The CSI Nigma just feels so wrong as to be jarring anytime he comes on screen.

I'm sure the show will be back next season -- has it already been renewed? I honestly haven't been paying attention -- but I can't find it in me to care if it does or not.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    One more ep to go! I've been looking forward to the gang war all season. I hope it lasts beyond the finale. My oldest watches this with me, mostly for the young Bruce/Selina moments, so I usually try and give it a view first before letting her see it. Can't wait to see Penguin's plan come to fruition.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Liked the season finale but I didn't like that it felt like we missed a couple of episodes. I mean episode 21 there basically giving Jim a medal because he stopped a Serial Killer and in this episode there saying he's on the outs and will probably be gone.

The gang war stuff was good just seeing Fish blow Maroni away like that was crazy the only cool thing she's done in this series. And seeing Penguin standing at the top of the mountain is interesting but there's zero chance Fish is actually dead so she'll come back eventually unfortunately.

Barbara is crazy as all hell and I wish she would have died but she'll probably end up in Arkham going to be weird to see how they go from her being that to having a daughter with Jim.

And by far the best thing in this episode was Riddler's decent into madness. That whole last scene with him was great.

And Bruce found the Batcave I know for some people that could not set well with them but I think it could be really cool. And big thing this season is we did not find out who Murdered the Wayne's? So look for that to be a big running theme in the series.

Overall I think this season was OK to good. It had it's ups and it's very low down's but I think it got better as it went.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I might try out the first episode of the second season but I'm more or less done with the show. I don't like a lot of the characters or the stories and while I'm glad Fish Mooney is gone, there isn't a lot keeping me glued to this show.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Things you see when Gotham is shooting in the neighborhood...