Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Gotham

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I like the guy playing Dent. I like that the monster side of him is already in there.

God help me even Fish Mooney is growing on me. :)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Torchsong said:

I like the guy playing Dent. I like that the monster side of him is already in there.

How about the fact that almost everything Dent was onscreen, half of his face was obscured by something.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Good episode. And the preview for next week looks great. Getting Arkham up and running was a nice surprise this early. Should be interesting to see how it plays out next year. I suppose that's where the Scarecrow will be coming into play?
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    Could Gotham do a serious version of King Tut, Bookworm, or Marsha - Queen of Diamonds? I'd love for them to try.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The introduction of Harvey Dent was cool. It's interesting to see his "aggressive" side so early on but you have to think it's always been there in some form or another. I liked the interaction between Bruce and Selina. I figured out the stuff with Barbara as soon as she left. It seems pointless but maybe they have an idea as to where they are going with this plot. I do know that we are getting Leslie Thompkins and she might be a potential love interest for Jim which could be interesting. This show is getting better with each episode so I'm curious to see where they take the characters and the plot. I like it.
  • Options
    I wasn't crazy about this play date episode with Bruce and Selina.
  • Options
    I think it's interesting. I think Selena is going to give an insight to Bruce about Gotham that he wasn't currently aware of which will help guide him with his journey.
  • Options
    That's a pretty awesome theory. I like it.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Torchsong said:

How about the fact that almost everything Dent was onscreen, half of his face was obscured by something.
    I thought that was a nice effect, but it might have been bludgeoning us with foreshadowing.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Here's the first 10 episodes of Gotham in 5 minutes, for those who aren't caught up...

http://youtu.be/oDgtpMWMABA
  • Options
    I believe Fox considers this to be a hit, yes?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Finally caught up with all episodes yesterday.

I like the show, enough to keep on watching, and it's definitely improved from those early episodes.

I just wish it was a little smarter. I get that Gotham is corrupt, but I have a hard time believing an entire squad room would empty because a hired killer is there for a fellow officer. Even an officer they don't like, I just don't buy it. And Zsasz even kills a cop, and they still don't do anything about him?

Things like that, and every mobster trusting Penguin enough to take his advice, just make me feel like the show is guided more by making sure Character A is inserted into Plot B by meeting Character C rather than fleshed out characters doing things that move the story along more naturally. That stuff goes on in every show, but the good ones do a better job of concealing it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Still loving it. Got to love Alyce Beasley showing up (I'm a Moonlighting fan).

About the only character I don't dig much anymore is Gordon's girlfriend/wife.

Yep, I even like Fish Mooney now. :)

• Options
    Here's a thought: Are we even supposed to like Barbara in the first place?

Like is it the writers intention to make us not enjoy her in the slightest or is it just crappy acting? People on the interwebs seem to think it's the latter. What if it's the former and we're not seeing the endgame? Which begs the question, in this hypothetical world where it IS intentional, what ARE the possible endgames?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Pretty good return ep.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Here's a thought: Are we even supposed to like Barbara in the first place?

Like is it the writers intention to make us not enjoy her in the slightest or is it just crappy acting? People on the interwebs seem to think it's the latter. What if it's the former and we're not seeing the endgame? Which begs the question, in this hypothetical world where it IS intentional, what ARE the possible endgames?

I really can't tell. I was even wondering if sidelining her was part of the original plan, or if things just weren't working out and they did it to make way for Leslie Thompkins (or someone else) as a love interest.

If she keeps falling further down, I could see her being used as a tool to get at Gordon by season's end. I'd like to think that was the plan all along, but who knows?
  • Options
    Actor Rob Gorrie (One Life to Live) recently tweeted that he's playing John Grayson of the "Flying Graysons" later this season on Gotham.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    This show baffles me. I love batman. People love batman. Batman = money. But what they've done is create a batman show, where there's no Batman. And then I hear it's considered a "hit" but I also read it's averaging 4 million viewers. I know ratings have changed, but how is that a hit? One thing I read mentioned Gotham and Empire in the same sentence as being hits, but Empire has three times as many viewers.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited January 2015
    Planeis said:

This show baffles me. I love batman. People love batman. Batman = money. But what they've done is create a batman show, where there's no Batman. And then I hear it's considered a "hit" but I also read it's averaging 4 million viewers. I know ratings have changed, but how is that a hit? One thing I read mentioned Gotham and Empire in the same sentence as being hits, but Empire has three times as many viewers.

Well it's 4 million views on FOX and for networks like FOX and CW that's a hit.

I personally think the show is OK not great because it does have it share of problems but now it's already been renewed for a 2nd season so let's see if that will give them a different attitude.

But still the Fatal Flaw of this series is a Batman show without Batman. I mean legitimately how many season of watching Gordon fail at saving Gotham can you have? Because he has to fail otherwise you don't need Batman in the future.

What I wish would happen is like a time skip to where Batman does come or instead of a flashback they do flashfowards and in that they don't have to show Batman but just make it clear his around.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been watching the show, and it has its interesting points, but it still feels like an oddity to me. I just can't get past that 'Batman show with no Batman' thing.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @Planeis‌ & @Mihawk‌ You also have to take into account that it's 4 million viewers for the broadcast. It doesn't include people who DVR the show or watch it online.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2015
    Mihawk said:

Planeis said:

What I wish would happen is like a time skip to where Batman does come or instead of a flashback they do flashfowards and in that they don't have to show Batman but just make it clear his around.
    This is why I think a GCPD take for television would have worked better. You get a hint of the Bat and you don't have these pesky chronological inconsistencies.
    I like Gotham, but wish the show would focus on the depth of corruption and how Gordon perseveres. Not try to shoehorn the rouges gallery.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The last two episodes are proving you don't need young Bruce. Ship him abroad for awhile and have Selina leave town. Just make it a Gotham police procedural.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

The last two episodes are proving you don't need young Bruce. Ship him abroad for awhile and have Selina leave town. Just make it a Gotham police procedural.

Agreed. However, I do hope that we see Bruce from time to time. The Bruce/Alfred dynamic was fascinating and Sean Pertwee is simply awesome.
  • Options
    I've enjoyed the last two episodes as well. I agree in that this show does not need young Bruce to make it good. I want to see a young Jim Gordon doing what he can to make a difference in Gotham. I want to see how his philosophy differs from those who revel in the corruption like the Mayor or the Commissioner. I want to see Bullock slowly but surely come to Gordon's side of thinking. It's been good. I'm not sure what purpose was with the scene with Barbara going to her parents. I felt it took away from more important stuff but that's only because she's not that great a character in my opinion. I like the ending of the latest episode and I'm curious to see where they go from here.
  • Options
    Gotham is filming near us on Staten Island!
  • Options
    Abbi Snee will play Mary Lloyd - future mother of Dick Grayson: