Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Gotham

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Won't she be a bit old for Bruce?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Won't she be a bit old for Bruce?

I haven't watched any episodes, but all these intros sound like the ending of LOST; everyone is "there" waiting for Jack (or in this case, Bruce) to show up.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I like the actor. I'm curious to see what he brings to the role.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    This show. It's good enough to keep me interested but it just doesn't blow me away like the other shows (Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) does. I want to like it more but it's just okay.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

This show. It's good enough to keep me interested but it just doesn't blow me away like the other shows (Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) does. I want to like it more but it's just okay.

No love for Agent Carter?!

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

M
    Speaking of Sharon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeea6Xr6W2g
  • Options
    That scene at the end when they were booking that hitman. Brutal. Just brutal.
  • Options
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

M
    That was an oversight which is inexcusable. Agent Carter is outstanding as well.
  • Options
    This episode of Gotham was pretty decent. Not overly amazing but I enjoyed it. The Bruce Wayne/Selina Kyle stuff was the best stuff in the episode. Still, it was an overall enjoyable episode. One that I could actually watch again.
  • Options
    The further I move away from this week's Gotham the more I am okay with what Jim did.
  • Options
    I think when I can just accept the fact that this a different Jim Gordon from the one I had read in the comics, I guess I'm okay with it. I still don't agree with it though. He was put in the same situation as he was in the pilot episode where he was supposed to kill Penguin. Now, he finally does what he was supposed to do with Penguin and he does it with Penguin. I might be okay with it but I don't see him as any better than the villains nows. I think Gordon is a bit crazy and I'l be curious to see how this all plays out because it needs to have consequences.
  • Options
    The actors playing Alfred and Selina Kyle are the only ones that have star power. Penguin is well cast, but I think that is more natural looks and not talent.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean, I know the actor playing Alfred but only as the son of a former Doctor Who. I never heard of the actress who played Selina Kyle. The guy playing Gordon is the one I was most familiar with followed by the guy who plays Bullock. Also, a lot of people know the actress who plays Dr. Thompkins from Firefly and V as well as Homeland. As of now, I'd say that Michael Chiklis is the one with the most star power on the show. I think that for the most part, nobody really gets to shine in the show because I think they are all over or under-acting. It's just an over-the-top show.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I like Gotham but at the end of an episode I never get the same feeling of being very excited or pumped that I get at the end of Arrow,Flash,Daredevil.

It's just missing something and we all know what that something is and it's something where never going to see.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

I like Gotham but at the end of an episode I never get the same feeling of being very excited or pumped that I get at the end of Arrow,Flash,Daredevil.

It's just missing something and we all know what that something is and it's something where never going to see.

Topless Katy Perry?
  • Options
    I am Scared we are going to get Fish Mooney again. I saw that pink hair in the tube.....

And hey, Mister Freeze...awesome!
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mihawk said:

Topless Katy Perry?
    That could help ratings for sure.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I don't like how all these villains from Batman's Rogues Gallery are showing up. Because I think one of the best debates about Batman is weather or not these villains start coming out of the woodwork because of Batman?

• Options
    Mihawk said:

I don't like how all these villains from Batman's Rogues Gallery are showing up. Because I think one of the best debates about Batman is weather or not these villains start coming out of the woodwork because of Batman?

I totally understand that.... But this is never going to be "our" Batman/Gotham.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Feels like a show that keeps getting hamstrung by its limitations - "you can't use Batman or the Joker, but you can use the rest of the rogues gallery. They won't be in any movies for a while."

A show like Supergirl can still function without Superman, but a show like Gotham is just making excuses and using pretzel logic to tell its stories.

This is never going to be "my Batman" because I'm not invested in it at all. Not interested.
  • Options
    This show could have been more interesting had it been about a cop out to try to make Gotham better and fought hard to do it the right way. He would fight corrupt cops and the people who were in charge as well as the criminals. If the creators had done a procedural show mixed in with Gordon's portion of Batman: Year One. It would have been a better show.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

This show could have been more interesting had it been about a cop out to try to make Gotham better and fought hard to do it the right way. He would fight corrupt cops and the people who were in charge as well as the criminals. If the creators had done a procedural show mixed in with Gordon's portion of Batman: Year One. It would have been a better show.

Admittingly, I haven't watched any of this show besides the initial trailer. From the feedback I read here, it sounds like they're doing a GCC series, but instead of Batman "being out there", he just doesn't exist yet. If they want to introduce all these villains, I think the former would transition better then the latter.

If the series finale is Bruce becoming Batman, it makes Gordon look like a complete failure (how'd be become commissioner?!) & the rogues look really old.

This is just an observation from someone not familiar with the show. I could be completely off on my assessment.

M
  • Options

Feels like a show that keeps getting hamstrung by its limitations - "you can't use Batman or the Joker, but you can use the rest of the rogues gallery. They won't be in any movies for a while."

A show like Supergirl can still function without Superman, but a show like Gotham is just making excuses and using pretzel logic to tell its stories.

This is never going to be "my Batman" because I'm not invested in it at all. Not interested.

I'm not watching Supergirl, but I would assume Kara works without Kent because she's her own character. Gordon is a supporting character, who can offer great stories, but probably not a long running series. At least, not without making him more like another character (I could argue the same about Arrow, but that's another show I'm not watching, so it's a limited info assessment).

Im not certain a Jimmy Olsen or an Alfred series would be able to run the table. Nothing about either character, but they're both just supporting characters*.

M

*yes I'm aware Jimmy had his own title for a while, but I'm not certain its last as a TV series.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    From the beginning the show needed to be a "young Bruce Wayne" chronicles series. with Alfred, Gordon, Bullock and maybe Selina filling out the main supporting cast and leaving the rest wide open. Near unlimited potential and far more appealing to everyone. Could've been something outstanding. It's actually kindve heartbreaking for this batfan seeing how close they come to some truly great moments and opportunities on this show. Then just to watch it be squandered and or devolve into something silly.
  • Options
    I would have loved to have seen a show where Gordon is trying to battle the corruption in Gotham both within and outside the Police Department. I think they squandered Detectives Montoya and Allen. Gordon should have been doing what he could and have that effort not go unnoticed by both the good and the corrupt. I would have loved to seen him form a group within the police department that had Montoya, Allen and Bullock and maybe a few beat cops taking on the all of the bad that Gotham can muster. I don't mind a procedural version of Gotham Central but it's hard to do when it feels like you're just throwing stuff against the wall to see what it sticks.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    "I would have loved to have seen a show where Gordon is trying to battle the corruption in Gotham both within and outside the Police Department. ... Gordon should have been doing what he could and have that effort not go unnoticed by both the good and the corrupt."

That's basically a good majority of Season 1. Yes - it didn't follow through. But it was there.
  • Options
    I suppose but it wasn't done as well. The best part about the first season was the mob stuff and I wouldn't have changed any of that.