Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange | Movie News -Non-Spoiler

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

The new Doctor Strange movie apparently won’t be showing an origin for the character. It will just begin with the character already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. An exciting new approach.

Check out this video podcast from Schmoes Know with guest Devin Faraci from BadAssDigest

http://youtu.be/8fqIi3o5S2k

Go to the 52 minute mark (though the whole discussion is fascinating)

I didn't watch it but maybe we'll see his origin in AoS or in a Marvel movie? That would be a neat approach.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

The new Doctor Strange movie apparently won’t be showing an origin for the character. It will just begin with the character already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. An exciting new approach.

I don't know if I agree with that. Dr. Strange isn't a widely known character, and he's not one that we've seen a lot of in other media. And it's not like we just saw a series with him, like the Spider-Man movies, for example. I would be interested in seeing his origin on the screen.

Origin stories are a big part of the super-hero genre. And they're attractive stories to tell. We might not need an origin story for every movie, but for a character of less recognition, it would be good to see their origin. Dr. Strange has a compelling story of going from the person that he was, to becoming the person that he is. I want to see that story.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It is also possible that the origin could be integrated trough flashbacks.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited August 2014
    it's happening

http://collider.com/joaquin-phoenix-doctor-strange-movie/

Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Lead DOCTOR STRANGE

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

it's happening

http://collider.com/joaquin-phoenix-doctor-strange-movie/

Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Lead DOCTOR STRANGE

Well... he's certainly strange enough...
  • Options
    BattrusBattrus Posts: 4
    I wonder who'll finally play Strange? My idea is someone who could do a sort of older, "Mandrake"-like version of Errol Flynn. Well, maybe.
  • Options
    They may have dodged a bullet with that one. I was never too excited about Phoenix...
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

They may have dodged a bullet with that one. I was never too excited about Phoenix...

whats the line?

"He's a bag of cats. You can smell crazy on him".
  • Options
    I hope this means they might still go with Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), who was rumored for it. He'd be a young Strange, but I think he'd be great.
  • Options
    JoSpiv616JoSpiv616 Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    David_D said:

I hope this means they might still go with Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), who was rumored for it. He'd be a young Strange, but I think he'd be great.

I agree, he would be amazing. I also think Aiden Gillen(Littlefinger on Game of Thrones) would be an excellent Sorcerer Supreme.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    There really is an incredible amount of potential for this film to be epic and combine both the Marvel cosmic universe and the supernatural. I expect great things if the casting is spot on.

I'm interestes in seeing how Marvel's movie explains how Stephen Strange was already considered as much of a threat as the Hulk's Bruce Banner by HYDRA before the events of his solo movie, which actually won't come out until after Cap 3 arrives.
  • Options

There really is an incredible amount of potential for this film to be epic and combine both the Marvel cosmic universe and the supernatural. I expect great things if the casting is spot on.

I'm interestes in seeing how Marvel's movie explains how Stephen Strange was already considered as much of a threat as the Hulk's Bruce Banner by HYDRA before the events of his solo movie, which actually won't come out until after Cap 3 arrives.

Supposedly it's not going to be an origin movie, with Strange already established at the beginning of the movie. They'll probably have some audience surrogate character for him to exposit his history too.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Just throwing a name out there, but how about Micheal Keaton as Stephen Strange?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rebis said:

Just throwing a name out there, but how about Micheal Keaton as Stephen Strange?

I think Keaton is a fascinating actor, and I am very excited for Birdman. My gut reaction is that there is something just too grounded and worldly about him to be a Dr. Strange, though. His persona, at least with what I usually see him play, is of someone very present in the real world. His characters have never struck me as ones who would believe in magic, or in any other world, if you know what I mean? He just seems grounded and almost uneasily in the present moment. Which is a vibe that I get from a lot of comedians, and actors who started as comedians. And it has served his work very well, and made him a really interesting Bruce Wayne. But it makes me not see him as a Stephen Strange.
  • Options
    David_D said:

rebis said:

I think Keaton is a fascinating actor, and I am very excited for Birdman. My gut reaction is that there is something just too grounded and worldly about him to be a Dr. Strange, though. His persona, at least with what I usually see him play, is of someone very present in the real world. His characters have never struck me as ones who would believe in magic, or in any other world, if you know what I mean? He just seems grounded and almost uneasily in the present moment. Which is a vibe that I get from a lot of comedians, and actors who started as comedians. And it has served his work very well, and made him a really interesting Bruce Wayne. But it makes me not see him as a Stephen Strange.
    that is a facinating description of Keaton. I hadn't thought about it before not but I certainly see where you're coming from. I almost wonder if that groundedness might serve to make the magical chaos believable. You may need a character to stand as a fixed point among the swirling eddies of magic. I almost think your explaination of why he shouldn't have the role could make him a perfect choice. huh. I'm gonna chew on that for a while. I'm one of those filks on the Benedict Cumberbatch bandwagon myself. I can see him as aloof and arrogent enough to be pre-loss-of-hands Stephen Strange MD. I wonder though if he can do Post-loss-of-hands emotionally broken Dr. Strange.
  • Options
    random73 said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

that is a facinating description of Keaton. I hadn't thought about it before not but I certainly see where you're coming from. I almost wonder if that groundedness might serve to make the magical chaos believable. You may need a character to stand as a fixed point among the swirling eddies of magic. I almost think your explaination of why he shouldn't have the role could make him a perfect choice. huh. I'm gonna chew on that for a while. I'm one of those filks on the Benedict Cumberbatch bandwagon myself. I can see him as aloof and arrogent enough to be pre-loss-of-hands Stephen Strange MD. I wonder though if he can do Post-loss-of-hands emotionally broken Dr. Strange.
    That definitely could be. Keaton, or at least his characters, all seem to have an aloofness and emotional armor to them. Which really worked for Wayne. And might work for Strange. But I feel like I would be watching and waiting for it all to end up being a con or something. Even Cumberbatch, who also tends to play characters who seem very intelligent and often emotionally unavailable, strikes me more as someone who might believe in and be up for dabbling in, the unknown, moreso than Keaton.
  • Options
    Speaking of Keaton, with DC doing the 60's Adam West Batman tales, I'd love it if they took Keaton's Batman and teamed him up with Reeve's Superman and Carter's Wonder Woman. It'll never happen though...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    David_D said:

rebis said:

I see Keaton's eyes and I think, "there's a guy that can see all the crazy stuff in the shadows".
    Grounded and worldly might be a nice contradiction to the kinds of things Strange has to deal with. And, don't forget. According to my OHATMU, Strange grew up on a farm in Nebraska. Can't get much more grounded than that.
    Now, the movieverse doesn't have to hold to that continuity, but personally I hope they do. I've had my fill of sorcerers that speak like 19th century stage actors. If you want that, you might as well get Jon Lovitz.

"ACTING!"
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rebis said:

David_D said:

rebis said:

I see Keaton's eyes and I think, "there's a guy that can see all the crazy stuff in the shadows".
    Grounded and worldly might be a nice contradiction to the kinds of things Strange has to deal with. And, don't forget. According to my OHATMU, Strange grew up on a farm in Nebraska. Can't get much more grounded than that.
    Now, the movieverse doesn't have to hold to that continuity, but personally I hope they do. I've had my fill of sorcerers that speak like 19th century stage actors. If you want that, you might as well get Jon Lovitz.

"ACTING!"
    I get that, and of course you don't need to go so fully erudite in the other direction, or just have him be some general type. But Keaton has always struck me as someone who feels more streetsmart and a feral intelligence than booksmart or a meditator. In comic terms he is much more of a Constantine than a Strange, at least to me.

And going contrary to expectations can be great. But I also don't need Strange to be Constantine. I think their are actors who could get what might be bookish, otherworldly, or even grand about him without is becoming camp.
  • Options
    I agree with everything you've written. Especially the desire to not have Strange = Constantine.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I agree with everything you've written. Especially the desire to not have Strange = Constantine.

ditto
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited October 2014

They did already explain it. The Zola program predicted he could be a threat.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I don't think he was too excited about it either. Marvel can do better in regards to people who actually want to do (multiple) films.
  • Options
    Otherwise they may have had another Edward Norton/Bruce Banner situation on their hands. I applaud Marvel for trying to get actors who are heavy hitters for some of their roles, but they have to be wise about who they select as well.
  • Options
    It is looking more and more as though Ethan Hawke is going to be signing a multi-picture deal with Marvel. So much focus has been on the possible actor to play the sorcerer supreme, but have any of you seen some of the films by the Doctor Strange movie's director, Scott Derrickson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGU36jGBh90

He also directed Sinister (with Ethan Hawke) and many other notable horror films. I'm reminded that Marvel Studios knows what they're doing...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Ethan Hawke would be a good investment.

Unlike Depp or Phoenix who are (I believe) far too costly both in terms of salary and eccentricity.
  • Options
    It would be an extremely good move for BOTH parties.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    That has potential.