Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange | Movie News -Non-Spoiler

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

According to the Hollywood Reporter has reported that Marvel Studios is courting Chiwetel Ejoifor of 12 Years A Slave, Serenity and Dirty Pretty Things for Doctor Strange.

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked Baron Mordo if you ask me.
    Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked 'most any character he's given a chance to play, if you ask me.
    Yeah, I think he could do better than Brother Voodoo. Even Baron Mordo feels like a waste of his talents, unless the character ends up more Loki than Red Skull/Whiplash/Mandarin/just about any villain in a Marvel Universe movie.
    Great point. We need more non-disposable villains.

"The Villain Must Die!" is my second-most disliked movie trope.
    The MCU has been pretty good with that though- Loki survived multiple movies, Ambomination survived, there was no super-villian in Cap 2 (which was a break of its own), Red Skull's demise is intentionally vague, clearly to allow for his return. Ronan died, but Nebula walked away free.

The moral of the story is don't mess with Iron Man, because you're definitely going to die.
    Yeppers.

Although I'd argue that Ronan is as reconstitutable as Red Skull.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

According to the Hollywood Reporter has reported that Marvel Studios is courting Chiwetel Ejoifor of 12 Years A Slave, Serenity and Dirty Pretty Things for Doctor Strange.

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked Baron Mordo if you ask me.
    Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked 'most any character he's given a chance to play, if you ask me.
    Yeah, I think he could do better than Brother Voodoo. Even Baron Mordo feels like a waste of his talents, unless the character ends up more Loki than Red Skull/Whiplash/Mandarin/just about any villain in a Marvel Universe movie.
    Great point. We need more non-disposable villains.

"The Villain Must Die!" is my second-most disliked movie trope.
    The MCU has been pretty good with that though- Loki survived multiple movies, Ambomination survived, there was no super-villian in Cap 2 (which was a break of its own), Red Skull's demise is intentionally vague, clearly to allow for his return. Ronan died, but Nebula walked away free.

The moral of the story is don't mess with Iron Man, because you're definitely going to die.
    Yeppers.

Although I'd argue that Ronan is as reconstitutable as Red Skull.
    I agree, but I don't think he was big enough or charismatic enough for Marvel to bother, so I'd bet on his death being permanent. Whereas Red Skull, despite Hugo Weavings lack of interest in coming back, with his history of body-swapping and status as Caps arch nemesis, I think if they have the right story they'll bring him back. I know I fully expected Robert Redford to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Red Skull for 2/3rds of the movie.

As for Chiwetel Ejiofor, I really want him to play Baron Mordo. There have been reports his role isn't villainous, but that leaves Wong and the Ancient One, or Brother Voodoo. Cumberbatch and Ejiofor have ready played master and slave once, and I don't feel like seeing that dynamic repeated or reversed. (Not exactly the same, but close enough for comparison). And Brother Voodoo is a waste of talent. He can't have more than a small role and he can't be Strange's equal. It has to be Mordo. Or Dormammu.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Thinking outside the box - what if he's Blade?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2015
    I think it'd be fun if Ejiofor was cast as Alaric, who appeared back in issue #31 in 1978. He was a minor mystic who once nearly defeated Strange and Namor. The Ricardo Villamonte artwork on that particular issue was fantastic. Would make for some great movie visuals and visceral excitement.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited May 2015
    http://www.slashfilm.com/tilda-swinton-doctor-strange/

She will play THE ANCIENT ONE??? any complaints???

she is one freaky looking woman... seems like a good fit for the movie!

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    bamfbamf said:

http://www.slashfilm.com/tilda-swinton-doctor-strange/

She will play THE ANCIENT ONE??? any complaints???

she is one freaky looking woman... seems like a good fit for the movie!

That would be a hell of a thing. She is amazing. And carries spooky very well (as well as powerful).

I hope this works out.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited May 2015
    I dunno... I could see her as Clea, but she really doesn't meet my expectations as the Ancient One. I'll wait and see on this casting; I could be surprised.

EDIT - On the other hand, recalling her role in the Narnia films, she might pull it off.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    Great actress. Though I would have expected her to be cast as Death. That way she might also appear in the Infinity War films as Thanos's love interest :)
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    She'd make a terrific Dr Who.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2015
    I think it is a brilliant, inspired choice. Tilda Swinton will be awesome.
  • Options

I dunno... I could see her as Clea.

Not a chance.
    Clea is going to be a tough role to cast. Especially when you have to live up to this amazing Paul Smith version. meeeeeoooow!

• Options
    Hex said:

I dunno... I could see her as Clea.

Not a chance.
    Clea is going to be a tough role to cast. Especially when you have to live up to this amazing Paul Smith version. meeeeeoooow!

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think Tilda would fit the Clea mold that we've come to expect as Stephen's love interest and pupil. Not to say Marvel is above changing things up a little...

Rumours back in March indicated that the role of Clea is to be portrayed by Juliet Rylance, an actress that has worked with with director Scott Derrickson on Sinister.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited May 2015
    I would rather see Swinton as the mentor than the love interest. The former is probably the meatier role with more screen time.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Does Dr. Strange need a love interest or is the inclusion of Clea just a bone for fanboys.
    Personally, Clea can wait for Strange 2 (if there is a sequel).
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    rebis said:

Does Dr. Strange need a love interest or is the inclusion of Clea just a bone for fanboys.

I can only assume (and hope) that the adversaries in the Dr. Strange film will be Baron Mordo, backed by the power of the "Big Bad" Dormammu. Sure, the good Doctor doesn't need a love interest, but I feel that Clea is an important aspect of the first Dr. Strange/Dormammu story arc.
    My only hope is that if (when?) Clea is included in the movie, her character is modernized so that she becomes more empowered than the typical damsel-in-distress that she was in the first 20 years of her appearances in Marvel comics.
  • Options
    rebis said:

It may be hard to take her seriously in that get-up, but Clea was actually introduced as far back as Strange Tales #126 in 1964. She's the mistress of the Dark Dimension and she’s Doctor Strange’s ex-girlfriend/wife in current continuity. She was trained by Strange in his home - his prized pupil, and was to Strange what he was to the Ancient One. And unless this film is going to be another origin story (which I doubt), there's likely good reason for his closest gallery to appear; Baron Mordo, Wong, Dormammu, the Ancient One, Brother Voodoo, and certainly Clea.

Leaving her out might limit the amount of female roles in this film. I'm sure people don't think Pepper Potts, Black Widow, Betty Ross, Peggy Carter, Dr. Jane Foster, Maria Hill, Lady Sif, or Gamora & Nebula were each just a 'bone for fanboys' - do they?

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    "Bone for fanboys"
  • Options
    Clea's a tough cast. I could see them doing an arc in which she becomes ruler of the Dark Dimension by enlisting Stephen's help in overthrowing Dormammu. Doctor Strange's origin is told pretty easily in flashback, as demonstrated by The Oath, so we probably don't need a whole movie to tell his origin. "He's a wizard. He learned magic from this person after he got in a car wreck." Bam.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Rumours back in March indicated that the role of Clea is to be portrayed by Juliet Rylance, an actress that has worked with with director Scott Derrickson on Sinister.

Holy Cats, she's actually age-appropriate for Bandersnatch.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015

An awesome fan-made opening credits sequence.

Made me forget all about this fan-made teaser trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcatadb3rmY
  • Options
    She sounds very excited about this movie.
  • Options
    From ComicBook.com

During a presentation in Africa last week, Disney unveiled concept art of Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock, Star Trek Into Darkness) as Doctor Strange for Scott Derrickson's upcoming Marvel film.

From eyewitnesses, Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange had facial hair and looked quite "menacing," but his superhero costume wasn't as colorful as his comic book counterpart traditionally wears.
    "Doctor Strange looks dark. Very dark," htxt.Africa reported. "As in scraping the edge of ‘horror-movie-dark’ and information imparted about the film from Marvel Studios head, Kevin Feige, supports this appraisal. According to Feige, the film will have a firm footing in the shadowy world of the occult and supernatural. While we’re not expecting it to be a true blue horror film, but if it could provide as many chills as say Constantine (the TV series, NOT the film), then that would be great. Oh, and Benedict Cumberbatch looks very fetching in his Doctor Strange get-up. Very fetching indeed…"
  • Options
    Interesting that the date on the accompanying artwork is from July 20th, 2014.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Interesting that the date on the accompanying artwork is from July 20th, 2014.

Good eye! Hmmm.

• Options
    And from CBR

Cinematographer Ben Davis discussed the look of the film at a BAFTA Masterclass in London on Tuesday, as reported by ScreenDaily.
    "It has a very psychedelic grounding, and it's not your typical Marvel action movie," Davis is quoted in the report. "Most of the work within it is about other dimensions. And I described it, I think, when I was talking to Marvel as Marvel's 'Fantasia,' in a way, because it’s so sort of out there and different to everything else that they've done."
    Davis also described the movie as "dark" -- perhaps not thematically, but visually.
    "I can't really say much more about it, I'm afraid," Davis said. "But I think it'll be really interesting, and it's a very dark movie, I'm pleased to say."
    In addition to "Doctor Strange," Davis also has worked as a cinematographer on Marvel Studios films "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Avengers: Age of Ultron." Of the former, he stated, "Of all the films I've ever done, I don't think there's been a film as microscopically planned as that was in terms of every shot and every scenario and every lighting set up."