Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange | Movie News -Non-Spoiler

Comments

• Options
    Is it weird that I think Cumberbatch is the most obvious choice, and therefore kind of a boring choice? I think he'll do a fine job, but I also am not expecting any surprises.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm kind of surprised it took this long to arrive at Cumberbatch. He seemed like an obvious contender to me, yet his name kept not turning up

I can see why they pursued Phoenix, but does anyone think he wouldn't have been as much of a headache as Edward Norton turned out to be?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Kevin Feige responds to a reporter about Benedict Cumberbatch casting rumor "if it was confirmed, I would have announced it today".
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    And the game continues.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm optimistic that it is Cumberbatch, if Marvel wasn't interested in casting him or chose not to cast him, I would think Feige's answer would have been closer to a solid no, instead of a it's not confirmed.
  • Options
    Agreed, I just think all the details haven't been finalized or all of the signatures are not in place.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    edited October 2014
    @bralinator‌, i couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    BOOM!

Official: Marvel Casts Benedict Cumberbatch as DOCTOR STRANGE

http://www.newsarama.com/22900-official-marvel-casts-doctor-strange.html
  • Options
    The Batch indeed!!
  • Options
    I'm quite pleased with this news.

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

BOOM!

Official: Marvel Casts Benedict Cumberbatch as DOCTOR STRANGE

http://www.newsarama.com/22900-official-marvel-casts-doctor-strange.html

YES!!

I so want to hear him say "Hoary hosts of Hogath"!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Can't wait to see Cumberbatch with greying temples!
    This is going to be stellar.
  • Options
    Here is how Marvel has described the film:
    The film, directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts writing the screenplay, will follow the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions.
    I'm in.
  • Options
    I'm less enthusiastic. I think he would have been perfect a few years ago, before he was so closely identified with Sherlock Holmes and overexposed in the media. Most of the other Marvel headliners were either relative unknowns, or are really not stretching very far from their natural selves, so he's going to have a hard time convincing us we're watching Strange, as opposed to Cumberbatch dressed as Strange.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Whirlwind said:

I'm less enthusiastic. I think he would have been perfect a few years ago, before he was so closely identified with Sherlock Holmes and overexposed in the media. Most of the other Marvel headliners were either relative unknowns, or are really not stretching very far from their natural selves, so he's going to have a hard time convincing us we're watching Strange, as opposed to Cumberbatch dressed as Strange.

I think it depends on who you're referencing. I identify him with Star Trek only because that's the only thing I've seen him in. I've heard he's in other roles, but I've never seen any images or clips.

Is there a large number of people who see the movie who's going to say "that's Sherlock Holmes"?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Whirlwind said:

I think it depends on who you're referencing. I identify him with Star Trek only because that's the only thing I've seen him in. I've heard he's in other roles, but I've never seen any images or clips.

Is there a large number of people who see the movie who's going to say "that's Sherlock Holmes"?

M
    Or... "That's Smaug!!"
  • Options
    Matt said:

Whirlwind said:

M
    I think his role in Sherlock has been a definitive one for sure, and I do see that character for the first 5 minutes in everything else I've watched him in. But then i remember what a great actor he is and move on.

And, at least in the US, more people saw Chris Evans as Jonny Storm in two movies before seeing the first Cap than Cumberbatch as Sherlock, and people were as to accept that after seeing it.
  • Options
    It took me a moment to forget I was watching the actor Robert Redford in Winter Soldier too, but the film was so well made I accepted his character within a few scenes. While I admire Cumberbatch and have enjoyed his work on Sherlock, I don't foresee that being a stumbling block to my enjoyment of another well-made Marvel movie, assuming it's the same quality as what they've been recently producing.

I'm looking forward to how this is handled.
  • Options
    Whirlwind said:

I suspect he's not as well known as some may think. I know plenty of people who have never watched or even heard of Sherlock. I bet in the US more people know him as Khan.

But on the other hand, after several unknowns, and with Robert Downey Jr. closer to the end than the beginning of his tenure with Marvel, it would make sense to cast a name actor. Someone to anchor that next phase of films. Judging from the other actors they looked at (Depp, Phoenix), Marvel may have been thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I only know Cumberbatch from Star Trek. I've heard he's in a version of Sherlock Holmes, but I've never seen it.

He's "unknown" enough for me.

• Options
    According to the Hollywood Reporter has reported that Marvel Studios is courting Chiwetel Ejoifor of 12 Years A Slave, Serenity and Dirty Pretty Things for Doctor Strange.

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I only know Cumberbatch from Star Trek. I've heard he's in a version of Sherlock Holmes, but I've never seen it.

His Sherlock is AWESOME!
  • Options

Good look for it. I think it's dropping off of Netflix soon (maybe time for a binge watch?) but PBS may have it on their app, and the DVD are out there. It's VERY well done, and since each episode is like a 2 hour movie, it's satisfying, even though seasons are only 3 episodes each.

I wonder how they will do the story, as the early Dr Strange is a VERY different type of series than how the character is now. Through most of the early run, it's Strange as someone learning, and each adventure was one of the Ancient One's tests, but when the Dormamu serial began, the series did a massive change...and then after that, he's mostly been The Most Powerful Mage In The Universe.

He's also one of the few early Marvel heroes who didn't get an origin until after his first few appearances.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

According to the Hollywood Reporter has reported that Marvel Studios is courting Chiwetel Ejoifor of 12 Years A Slave, Serenity and Dirty Pretty Things for Doctor Strange.

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked Baron Mordo if you ask me.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hex said:

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked 'most any character he's given a chance to play, if you ask me.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

I'm not familiar with the chap, but this is the type of casting I like to see in comic book movies.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Chiwetel Ejoifor could pull off a wicked 'most any character he's given a chance to play, if you ask me.
    Yeah, I think he could do better than Brother Voodoo. Even Baron Mordo feels like a waste of his talents, unless the character ends up more Loki than Red Skull/Whiplash/Mandarin/just about any villain in a Marvel Universe movie.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Yeah, I think he could do better than Brother Voodoo. Even Baron Mordo feels like a waste of his talents, unless the character ends up more Loki than Red Skull/Whiplash/Mandarin/just about any villain in a Marvel Universe movie.
    Great point. We need more non-disposable villains.

"The Villain Must Die!" is my second-most disliked movie trope.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

Brother VooDoo perhaps?

Great point. We need more non-disposable villains.

"The Villain Must Die!" is my second-most disliked movie trope.
    The MCU has been pretty good with that though- Loki survived multiple movies, Ambomination survived, there was no super-villian in Cap 2 (which was a break of its own), Red Skull's demise is intentionally vague, clearly to allow for his return. Ronan died, but Nebula walked away free.

The moral of the story is don't mess with Iron Man, because you're definitely going to die.