Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange | Movie News -Non-Spoiler

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I'm going to the Civil War Premier next Tuesday... I hope the Dr. Strange trailer is before the show (although, I kinda doubt there will be trailers).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It would be a great placement for it. Enjoy the show @Hex!
  • Options
    Preview tonight on Jimmy Kimmel live!

Just in time for it to appear before the Civil War premiere, @Hex
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited April 2016
    Referring to the above post: (I've been following this thread, but I hope this wasn't posted elsewhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    alienal said:

Referring to the above post: (I've been following this thread, but I hope this wasn't posted elsewhere)

(EDIT) EVEN IF, this trailer is strictly for Doctor Strange fans. I enjoyed it.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    That trailer gave me goosebumps!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

alienal said:

This trailer is strictly for Doctor Strange fans. Therefore, I enjoyed it.

Wait, I'm a Dr. Strange fan & no one told me?!

M

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Who knew that Tilda Swinton was perfect casting for One Punch Man's Saitama?
  • Options
    zikaatlawzikaatlaw Posts: 56
    Cumberbust. The trailer doesn't look like Dr. Strange. It looks like Cumberbatch cosplaying Dr. Strange. Not convincing. Will wait for the dvd.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    This is the type of movie that will be worth seeing in 3D for me.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Cumberbatch sounds like Hugh Laurie in House.
  • Options
    zikaatlaw said:

Cumberbust. The trailer doesn't look like Dr. Strange. It looks like Cumberbatch cosplaying Dr. Strange. Not convincing. Will wait for the dvd.

That's actually my issue with Affleck as Batman; I only see Affleck.

Fortunately, I don't really follow Cumberbatch's career. I definitely see him the character in this movie.

M
  • Options
    There may be some correlation between movie goers who liked the recent Fan4stic Four movie and those who would not be into this movie.
  • Options

Preview tonight on Jimmy Kimmel live!

Just in time for it to appear before the Civil War premiere, @Hex

LOVE that poster. Always dug that window/symbol.
    and not surprisingly, there was no Dr. Strange trailer before the Civil War Premier. I didn't think they would do anything to steal thunder from Cap's big day. They just let it roll and launched right into the action (which was awesome, lots of cheering from the crowd).
  • Options
    Anyone else find it a little 'odd' that Marvel chose cast Tilda as the traditionally Asian 'Ancient One' instead of casting to type? If not, do you find it a bit disappointing that it was done less as a 'diversity' or anti-racist decision, but more accurately to kowtow to the China market where they didn't want to appear to be political?

Here's Doctor Strange scriptwriter C Robert Cargill
    The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, “Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.” If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet – if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f-ck you’re talking about.
    I wonder why Disney/Marvel didn't cast an Indian actor, which would have been closer geographically and culturally?

I really don't care either way, but it's revealing when you realize Marvel's casting decision here wasn't about social justice, but more about making that almighty dollar in China. That's show business.
  • Options

Anyone else find it a little 'odd' that Marvel chose cast Tilda as the traditionally Asian 'Ancient One' instead of casting to type? If not, do you find it a bit disappointing that it was done less as a 'diversity' or anti-racist decision, but more accurately to kowtow to the China market where they didn't want to appear to be political?

Here's Doctor Strange scriptwriter C Robert Cargill

The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, “Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.” If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet – if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f-ck you’re talking about.
    I wonder why Disney/Marvel didn't cast an Indian actor, which would have been closer geographically and culturally?

I really don't care either way, but it's revealing when you realize Marvel's casting decision here wasn't about social justice, but more about making that almighty dollar in China. That's show business.

The last time I cared about not casting to the source material was with Michael Duncan Clark (or Clark Duncan). He proved to me it doesn't matter.

I do feel like casting decisions have become such scrutinized the last several years,

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

The last time I cared about not casting to the source material was with Michael Duncan Clark (or Clark Duncan). He proved to me it doesn't matter.

M

Michael Clarke Duncan may have looked like the comic book version of Fisk, but for my money's worth I think D'Onofrio took bigger storytelling risks that paid off in spades.
  • Options
    For some reason it feels like Marvel casting Tilda is a lot like David Carradine getting the role of Kaine in the TV series Kung-Fu instead of Bruce Lee.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I don't have a dog on the fight over the casting, but personally she does weird me out a bit.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I don't have a dog on the fight over the casting, but personally she does weird me out a bit.

I think her "off-kilter" nature makes her a good casting for the part. The Ancient One should weird you out more than a little.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm very excited for this movie. Looks really good.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Hex said:

batlaw said:

I think her "off-kilter" nature makes her a good casting for the part. The Ancient One should weird you out more than a little.
    Off-kilter is a good way to put it. To me, her look is "ambiguous" that I end up focusing on her.
  • Options
    It looks to be pulling from Batman Begins & Inception. I don't quite know the character that well...but I'm game for this.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

It looks to be pulling from Batman Begins & Inception. I don't quite know the character that well...but I'm game for this.

M

Or, I suppose, you could go further back and say that both this and Batman are pulling from the Western Hero Learns Far East Secrets trope from the pulps.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

M

Or, I suppose, you could go further back and say that both this and Batman are pulling from the Western Hero Learns Far East Secrets trope from the pulps.
    Story wise, yes. I was referencing the visuals.

M
  • Options
    photo doctor-strange-2016-poster-impossibilities_zps3u3wu9ce.jpg

photo Doctor-Strange-Comic-Con-Poster_zpsw8mzky8c.jpg

Two new posters.