Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Studios Marvel’s Phase 3 Announcements

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2014
    For whatever it's worth, for those who aren't reading her book, the Carol Danvers "Captain Marvel" has been on an extended mission in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy. That's cosmic enough for me. :-)
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    That was a pretty awesome conference. I'm pretty excited about all those movies they announced. I think I'm more excited about these movies then the DC ones.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

For whatever it's worth, for those who aren't reading her book, the Carol Danvers "Captain Marvel" has been on an extended mission in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy. That's cosmic enough for me. :-)

I just picked up the first trade Higher, Further, Faster, More and am so happy thay changed up the art style from that funky-semi-terrible stuff they were using in the previous iteration.
  • Options
    I haven't finished reading all of this, but it seems fairly well thought out - Slash Film article.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Interesting read @luckymustard. It certainly seems more elevated than the nearly fan-fic type of stuff I've been seeing with properties like Terminator Genisys or even the new series Arkham Manor...

But I wonder, where do Daredevil and the Defenders fit in all this?

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Matt said:

Matt said:

I, for one, was hoping for Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel. I prefer Carol as either Binary or Warbird

I was hoping for Mar-Vell, frankly. I have no love at all for the Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel, and view that as the one unappealing film on the schedule. I much preferred Carol as Ms Marvel, but, of course, I didn't expect that to happen either.
    I know Kevin feels the same about Mar-vell, but Carol makes sense. What other female Marvel character could handle handle a solo & fresh hero? How many people said a solo Widow movie wouldn't work? Plus, not they can sign an unknown & pay peanuts instead of big bucks for ScarJo.

M
    Jen Walters
    I knew someone would mention her, which is why I added "fresh." Regardless of what she can do, she's still a Hulk. Why have 2 Hulk characters instead of 2 separate characters.

M
    You bring in Jen Walters because you can a movie for She-Hulk that is different from every other Marvel movie. They could bring in a different audience that normally would skip a Marvel movie if they did a good She-Hulk comedy. She-Hulk could be Marvel's Bridesmaids.
  • Options

I haven't finished reading all of this, but it seems fairly well thought out - Slash Film article.

That was a great read!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    spid said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

I, for one, was hoping for Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel. I prefer Carol as either Binary or Warbird

I was hoping for Mar-Vell, frankly. I have no love at all for the Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel, and view that as the one unappealing film on the schedule. I much preferred Carol as Ms Marvel, but, of course, I didn't expect that to happen either.
    I know Kevin feels the same about Mar-vell, but Carol makes sense. What other female Marvel character could handle handle a solo & fresh hero? How many people said a solo Widow movie wouldn't work? Plus, not they can sign an unknown & pay peanuts instead of big bucks for ScarJo.

M
    Jen Walters
    I knew someone would mention her, which is why I added "fresh." Regardless of what she can do, she's still a Hulk. Why have 2 Hulk characters instead of 2 separate characters.

M
    You bring in Jen Walters because you can a movie for She-Hulk that is different from every other Marvel movie. They could bring in a different audience that normally would skip a Marvel movie if they did a good She-Hulk comedy. She-Hulk could be Marvel's Bridesmaids.
    Yikes. That doesn't sound interesting to me at all. And in the end, it's just another movie with a big green goliath.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Matt said:

spid said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Jen Walters

M
    Yikes. That doesn't sound interesting to me at all. And in the end, it's just another movie with a big green goliath.

M
    Given your tastes I wouldn't think so, but that doesn't mean it isn't something that could click with the general public. Marvel is smart enough to know not everything you put out there has to be of the same tone. And She-Hulk is the smart funny character that could change the dynamic of what people expect from Marvel.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2014
    The casting sheet for Supergirl leaked. Her secret identity? Kara Danvers. Just sayin'... It's one syllable.

I know these things are not set in stone.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    According to wikipedia, Supergirl was adopted by the Danvers 7 years before Carol Danvers first appeared in comics. I could see Marvel using the Cpt. Shazam Marvel/Mary Marvel and Superman/Supergirl models for inspiration when they spun off Ms. Marvel from MarVell.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

According to wikipedia, Supergirl was adopted by the Danvers 7 years before Carol Danvers first appeared in comics. I could see Marvel using the Cpt. Shazam Marvel/Mary Marvel and Superman/Supergirl models for inspiration when they spun off Ms. Marvel from MarVell.

You know what? I didn't know that.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    The more you know! HAHA. Yo Joe!
  • Options
    Matt said:

M
    Sure, but there's no reason that couldn't be done with Carol in the Ms Marvel role... or even as Binary or Warbird. The main reason to use her (besides that of having a strong female lead) is to ensure that the public connects the Captain Marvel name to Marvel rather than with DC's planned SHAZAM! movie (and watch the general confusion among the non-comic fan movie-goers when both films eventually come out), and, at the present, the current Danvers incarnation allows them to kill both birds with one stone.

• Options

I think that as Carol Danvers is the original Ms Marvel, and was an Avenger LONG before Monica Rambeau, and Carol is also the current Captain Marvel - she should be the screen version of Captain Marvel. I Applaud Marvel for their choices so far. The only thing that would've been better would be a Jennifer "She Hulk" Walters legal procedural streaming series announcement for me.

Furthermore, Civil War is a perfectly tailored story arc to culminate in what's been building since the first Avengers movie. Also, a great way to get Stark/Downey Jr in another sequel without going the Iron Man IV route.

And for what it's worth, I even want Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Defenders, Nova, Howard the Duck, and even Blade - and every other Marvel movie character that Marvel has the rights to and then some up in this Infinity War movie(s). Make it a huge send-off.

I would love a Jen Walters movie (or maybe a TV show. LA Law meets The Hulk meets Ferris Beuller). But I always found Carol more interesting as Binary, and secondarily as War Bird. Ms. Marvel was never that interesting, and she was pretty one-dimensional as an Avenger. Monica has a lot more going for her, character wise.

I have no love for Civil War. I'll be skipping anything related to that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Jen Walters

M
    wait -- aren't you a Batman fan? Isn't that the formula there?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2014
    I could see them introducing Mar-Vell in GotG 2 only to have him die at some point..but not before passing the torch to a Ms. Danvers...setting up her own movie.
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Jen Walters

M
    I don't follow.

M
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I think that as Carol Danvers is the original Ms Marvel, and was an Avenger LONG before Monica Rambeau, and Carol is also the current Captain Marvel - she should be the screen version of Captain Marvel. I Applaud Marvel for their choices so far. The only thing that would've been better would be a Jennifer "She Hulk" Walters legal procedural streaming series announcement for me.

Furthermore, Civil War is a perfectly tailored story arc to culminate in what's been building since the first Avengers movie. Also, a great way to get Stark/Downey Jr in another sequel without going the Iron Man IV route.

And for what it's worth, I even want Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Defenders, Nova, Howard the Duck, and even Blade - and every other Marvel movie character that Marvel has the rights to and then some up in this Infinity War movie(s). Make it a huge send-off.

I would love a Jen Walters movie (or maybe a TV show. LA Law meets The Hulk meets Ferris Beuller). But I always found Carol more interesting as Binary, and secondarily as War Bird. Ms. Marvel was never that interesting, and she was pretty one-dimensional as an Avenger. Monica has a lot more going for her, character wise.

You, sir, seem to be in the minority on Monica. I barely remember her in Secret Wars. I think that's the only thing I've read with her in it. Plus, I'm thinking Marvel wants to continue with the cosmic line & Photon/Pulsar/Spectrum isn't it.

So no Avengers: Age of Ultron or Cap 3? Sounds like you'll be missing out on some great movies.

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2014

Considering how incredibly loose the Marvel adaptations have been with the source material so far, how can you even make a judgement about the MCU Civil War at this point?

That's akin to saying "Age of Ultron sucked, I won't be seeing anything related to that."
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Jen Walters

M
    I don't follow.

M
    Regardless of what she can do, she's still a Hulk. Why have 2 Hulk characters instead of 2 separate characters.
  • Options
    Matt said:

You, sir, seem to be in the minority on Monica. I barely remember her in Secret Wars. I think that's the only thing I've read with her in it. Plus, I'm thinking Marvel wants to continue with the cosmic line & Photon/Pulsar/Spectrum isn't it.

So no Avengers: Age of Ultron or Cap 3? Sounds like you'll be missing out on some great movies.

M
    I am definitely in the minority on Monica, I agree with you there. The comics have underutilized her since editorial screwed her at the end of Roger Stern's run. It's a pity, as I think she could be a blockbuster character with the correct writer.

Maybe those flicks will be good. Maybe they won't. And maybe I'll catch them on DVD at a friend's house when they are out, but I have no interest in spending my hard earned money (or time) on them. There are plenty of other good movies out there that I'd rather see.
  • Options

Considering how incredibly loose the Marvel adaptations have been with the source material so far, how can you even make a judgement about the MCU Civil War at this point?

That's akin to saying "Age of Ultron sucked, I won't be seeing anything related to that."
    That seems like a specious comparison, as the AoU movie has nothing in common with the comic story save the title (and a few common characters). And yeah, I know the movie continuity is different, but if I don't care for the basic plot of a flick, it's an uphill battle to get me interested in the characters.
  • Options

That seems like a specious comparison, as the AoU movie has nothing in common with the comic story save the title (and a few common characters). And yeah, I know the movie continuity is different, but if I don't care for the basic plot of a flick, it's an uphill battle to get me interested in the characters.
    Maybe a better comparison would be to Winter Soldier, which also had nothing in common with the comic story, except that Bucky had become the Winter Soldier. Or the Avengers, which besides Loki being the impetus for the team coming together, had nothing to do with the origin of the Avengers. We know absolutely nothing about Cap 3, except that Cap and Tony are going to be at odds at some point. That has about as much in common with the Civil War story as any of the other movie adaptations.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Do we already know the plots of Cap 3 and Avengers 3?
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M
    Jen Walters

M
    I don't follow.

M
    Regardless of what she can do, she's still a Hulk. Why have 2 Hulk characters instead of 2 separate characters.
    That part I get, it is the Batman comparison I don't understand.

M
  • Options

Matt said:

M
    I am definitely in the minority on Monica, I agree with you there. The comics have underutilized her since editorial screwed her at the end of Roger Stern's run. It's a pity, as I think she could be a blockbuster character with the correct writer.

Maybe those flicks will be good. Maybe they won't. And maybe I'll catch them on DVD at a friend's house when they are out, but I have no interest in spending my hard earned money (or time) on them. There are plenty of other good movies out there that I'd rather see.
    I just wanted to confirm with aspects of Cap 3 being further set up in Avengers: AoU, that you were going to be missing them.

Very interesting to hear that Avengers: AoU isn't given the benefit of the doubt of being a good movie for 2015. Aside from Ant-Man, I am not certain I have really heard about any other movie coming out in 2015.

M
  • Options

Maybe a better comparison would be to Winter Soldier, which also had nothing in common with the comic story, except that Bucky had become the Winter Soldier. Or the Avengers, which besides Loki being the impetus for the team coming together, had nothing to do with the origin of the Avengers. We know absolutely nothing about Cap 3, except that Cap and Tony are going to be at odds at some point. That has about as much in common with the Civil War story as any of the other movie adaptations.
    I concur. It's way too premature to assuming it'll be an adaptation of the source material. Maybe his issue is that Cap and Iron Man will be at odds with their points of view of saving the world/being a hero.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Matt said:

M

You watch movies at friend's houses while they are out? creepy.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

M

You watch movies at friend's houses while they are out? creepy.
    My friends are singular, as far as I know