Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Brack said:

hornhead said:

If DD's in a tie-in, I'm unaware, and I hope I'm not missing something that impacts the direction of the new series from some tie-in I am skipping.

It's not a tie-in to Secret Wars, but yes you are missing something that may impact the direction the new Daredevil. In the current arc Matt has concocted a plan that would restore Daredevil's secret identity at a terrible price.

I'm aware of that plan, but in Soule's interview he speaks specifically about Matt Murdock working for the DA's office in his series while DD does his DD things. So obviously more to be revealed on that front than just what's in DD #16.
  • hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    WetRats said:

One More One More Day!

"MeFisko" strikes again
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    A couple of upcoming books that have me intrigued ...

Marvel goes the "What If" route with "Infinity" in October:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/13/marvel-launches-five-week-what-if-event-to-re-imagine-infinity-for-october/

My sense is that I'm in the minority here in that I loved "Infinity," so I'm all in on this. Particularly the Black Bolt arc.

~~~~~~~~

Nick Spencer takes over Captain America in September:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/spencer-talks-conflict-between-sam-wilson-captain-america-steve-rogers

Nick Spencer on my very shortest list of favorite writers (Superior Foes, Secret Avengers, Ant-Man) so whatever he's writing, I'm buying.

• popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited July 2015
    WetRats said:

popestu said:

I'll check it out. I'm not crazy about him riding Oc's coat tails for his doctorate and business.

I like the idea of him taking them as a challenge.

He's always been smart enough to have them, just too busy to get them. Now that he has them, it would be irresponsible to throw them away.
    Throwing them away would be irresponsible. I was hoping they would disappear after Secret Wars. Perhaps taking credit for someone else's work will come back to bite him. From Pete's perspective, doing nothing caused Ben to die and doing something caused Gwen to die. The Parker Luck cannot allow Peter to get something for nothing.
    Brack said:

WetRats said:

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling is a dinosaur.

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling by different authors, set in a shared universe where said authors have no ownership of the characters is a dinosaur.

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling in a purer form is the thing that breaks records for the most volumes of comics sold in the world.

Just because it can't work for Marvel or DC any longer (though Dan Slott and Scott Snyder are giving it the old college try), doesn't mean its not a viable approach elsewhere.
    Keep in mind, One Piece began in the 1990s while Spidey (for example) started in the 1960s.
    WetRats said:

This is a Marvel thread. Don't let them hear you being negative or we'll all get punished. Take it over to the DC thread where it's safe!

Brack said:

WetRats said:

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling is a dinosaur.

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling by different authors, set in a shared universe where said authors have no ownership of the characters is a dinosaur.

The neverending story model of comic book storytelling in a purer form is the thing that breaks records for the most volumes of comics sold in the world.

Just because it can't work for Marvel or DC any longer (though Dan Slott and Scott Snyder are giving it the old college try), doesn't mean its not a viable approach elsewhere.
    good clarification.
    It is a well made point, though
    hornhead said:

Here's an interview that was just posted to AVClub with Charles Soule all about his upcoming Daredevil run.

I read this interview- I am hopeful for this run and I like what I've read of Soule. Really dug his She-Hulk and he's mentioned before what a fan he is of Daredevil.

One other point he raised in the interview was that Matt's secret identity is no longer "out".. He would not elaborate beyond that. So that genie is being put back into the bottle. Reminds me of how key events can get stuck somewhere in an event or event tie-in and you miss them.. I avoid most events (although I am reading Secret Wars, so hopefully that's not the case here).

I suppose Secret Wars or DD #1 could illustrate how the secret identity is restored, or maybe it ends up not being much of a thing to elaborate on, but I really hope that I'm not missing an important DD plot point because among all the Secret Wars books, I'm only reading the main SW series and Thors. For all I know, once Secret Wars begins everyone from DD's previous book (still with 2 issues to go) have been wiped out.. Ultimate DD is already dead, so I don't expect DD to pop up in a Secret Wars tie-in at all. If DD's in a tie-in, I'm unaware, and I hope I'm not missing something that impacts the direction of the new series from some tie-in I am skipping.

It's only now, when I read this interview, that I'm prompted to look and see if I might be missing something I didn't know I would want (and still may not want, for all I know).

Much like how Thor lost Mjolnir outside of any Thor book (it was in the main Original Sin series that I skipped), and of course that defined the direction of the Thor title since it happened.
    I wonder what book will reveal what Fury told Thor...image
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

The more I read about The Ultimates the more excited I get.

"With a heavy emphasis on science and exploration, this new assemblage have more on their mind then simply being the team that arrives in the nick of time to put down the bad guys. If their missions succeed, there will be no nick of time at all. However, Ewing recognizes that proactivity does not come without quandaries.

“There are going to be some moral debates—when the problems you’re dealing with are sentient or even above-sentient cosmic creatures, how do you ‘solve’ them?” he questions. “At the same time, someone’s got to deal with these long-running, world-threatening issues. You can put up with a leaky roof if you have to—you can't put up with a collapsing house.”

“Science and exploration feels like something very positive, a general good—it helps mitigate some of those moral concerns,” continues the writer. “I think an emphasis on expanding knowledge makes the team a lot more interesting and sympathetic than, say, a mission to beat people up in the name of preserving the current social order.”
    Sounds like this will be filling the void that the FF comic will be leaving. Science and exploration are what I want in an FF book. All that's missing is the family angle.
    Ultimates and the Squadron Supreme books are the new ones I am most intrigued by. I like a team lineup that includes a lot of characters I am not currently reading in other places, and a team dynamic that could be surprising.

How come Squadron Supreme Max was dissed during Time Runs out (Cabal Kills them) and in SW Squadron Sinister? Then a new series stars them?
    popestu said:

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

The more I read about The Ultimates the more excited I get.

"With a heavy emphasis on science and exploration, this new assemblage have more on their mind then simply being the team that arrives in the nick of time to put down the bad guys. If their missions succeed, there will be no nick of time at all. However, Ewing recognizes that proactivity does not come without quandaries.

“There are going to be some moral debates—when the problems you’re dealing with are sentient or even above-sentient cosmic creatures, how do you ‘solve’ them?” he questions. “At the same time, someone’s got to deal with these long-running, world-threatening issues. You can put up with a leaky roof if you have to—you can't put up with a collapsing house.”

“Science and exploration feels like something very positive, a general good—it helps mitigate some of those moral concerns,” continues the writer. “I think an emphasis on expanding knowledge makes the team a lot more interesting and sympathetic than, say, a mission to beat people up in the name of preserving the current social order.”
    Sounds like this will be filling the void that the FF comic will be leaving. Science and exploration are what I want in an FF book. All that's missing is the family angle.
    Ultimates and the Squadron Supreme books are the new ones I am most intrigued by. I like a team lineup that includes a lot of characters I am not currently reading in other places, and a team dynamic that could be surprising.
    How come Squadron Supreme Max was dissed during Time Runs out (Cabal Kills them) and in SW Squadron Sinister? Then a new series stars them?

Well, not "them", but a version of them...oh, forget it
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    RepoMan said:
    So many $4.99 40 page books! So many double shipping too.

Marvel is going to be a much slimmer order then I was originally thinking. Oh well better for my wallet I guess.

The one I do still fancying giving a go though is Howling Commandos. Looks like a fun read.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    The cover for New Avengers #2 confirms the survival of another Ultimate Universe character. And there's also something that looks like a weird Headmen hybrid.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2015
    David_D said:

For example, Gambit, who has a movie from Fox in the next year or two, now shares a title with the newly visible to the mainstream Daredevil.

Just wanted to find a place to mention that Channing Tatum has left that Gambit project. The future of the project is uncertain. They are looking for a replacement actor. Not sure who that movie was for anyways...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/466381-channing-tatum-exits-x-men-spinoff-gambit

One more thing, that isn't Gambit appearing in the new Daredevil run after all... it's been reported that this is a brand new character.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015

David_D said:

For example, Gambit, who has a movie from Fox in the next year or two, now shares a title with the newly visible to the mainstream Daredevil.

Just wanted to find a place to mention that Channing Tatum has left that Gambit project. The future of the project is uncertain. They are looking for a replacement actor. Not sure who that movie was for anyways...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/466381-channing-tatum-exits-x-men-spinoff-gambit

One more thing, that isn't Gambit appearing in the new Daredevil run after all... it's been reported that this is a brand new character.

Yep. I mentioned that in this discussion back when Alonso confirmed that it wasn't Gambit-
    David_D said:

Also, in the latest Axel-in-Charge, he confirms that the character on the Daredevil cover is not Gambit. So I guess his new apprentice is merely a Gambit cosplayer.

David_D said:

David_D said:

Yep. I mentioned that in this discussion back when Alonso confirmed that it wasn't Gambit-
    David_D said:

Also, in the latest Axel-in-Charge, he confirms that the character on the Daredevil cover is not Gambit. So I guess his new apprentice is merely a Gambit cosplayer.

I know. Just wanted to clarify that since it was part of what I quoted.
  • Black Knight gets an ongoing by Tieri and Pizarri.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/31/official-black-knight-on-the-weirdworld-new-series-from-marvel-by-frank-tieri-and-luca-pizarri/

I like Tieri, but to be honest? I was kind of hoping we had a new, female Black Knight when I read the headlines.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited August 2015
    New Hercules series:
    writer Dan Abnett and artist Luke Ross

I have been enjoying Herc ever since he took over the tail end of The Incredible Hulk series a few years back. If Abnett is scripting it, then I'm in.
    Also... how could I resist THIS teaser:
    "...with his buddy Gilgamesh at his side"

just take my money now.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Hex said:

New Hercules series:

I have been enjoying Herc ever since he took over the tail end of The Incredible Hulk series a few years back. If Abnett is scripting it, then I'm in.

just take my money now.

I'll give it a shot. Abnett, despite DnA's cosmic success, is a pretty underrated comic writer. He knows how to tell a good story and is good at making characters interesting again.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Hex said:

New Hercules series:

just take my money now.

I'll give it a shot. Abnett, despite DnA's cosmic success, is a pretty underrated comic writer. He knows how to tell a good story and is good at making characters interesting again.
    Any idea why Bleeding Cool wants to shame Marvel into making this a gay-centric book?
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2015

Mr_Cosmic said:

Hex said:

New Hercules series:

just take my money now.

Any idea why Bleeding Cool wants to shame Marvel into making this a gay-centric book?
    I think "shaming" is a stretch. It was a blog post by a gay writer in his LGBTQ themed column about a statement that was made by Marvel to a different website and a reasonable, if not a little wishy-washy (it's only one or two lines of dialogue) argument as to why they could and should do something different.
    Oh, I didn't know the writer was gay. Maybe 'shame' is not the proper verb. Maybe 'bitch at' or 'twist the arm of' would have been a better choice of words.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,738

Maybe 'bitch at' or 'twist the arm of' would have been a better choice of words.

I think “criticizing” is the word you're looking for, as I saw no anger behind the words of the column. The writer pointed out a missed opportunity that would have required no retconning and no expository explanation, and then criticized Marvel for (so far) falling short of the goals they've set for themselves.

By the way, the words “bitch at” are really, really, really not a better choice of words.
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Well said.

Oh wait, here's one (of several) more.

http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-boycott-axel-alonso/

I'm sure this will go over well on this board. :wink:

Maybe 'bitch at' or 'twist the arm of' would have been a better choice of words.

I think “criticizing” is the word you're looking for, as I saw no anger behind the words of the column. The writer pointed out a missed opportunity that would have required no retconning and no expository explanation, and then criticized Marvel for (so far) falling short of the goals they've set for themselves.

By the way, the words “bitch at” are really, really, really not a better choice of words.
    Certainly your mileage may vary.

But overall, it seems that Bleeding Cool frequently questions why more superheroes aren't openly gay. Even that title to the article was a bit over the top. I never knew that not making a character gay in all incarnations meant the publisher was 'closeting' that character's sexuality. Marvel has done more than the lion's share of inserting diversity in the product line.

I guess we will all be made to care about this if we can't complain on our own terms about it in return.

The boycott that RepoMan linked to is an example of the 'twist the arm of' strategy I'm seeing more frequently. The only thing that surprises me is that it wasn't done at BC first.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,738

But overall, it seems that Bleeding Cool frequently questions why more superheroes aren't openly gay. ... Marvel has done more than the lion's share of inserting diversity in the product line.

I avoid Bleeding Cool as much as possible, so I wouldn't know. But if that is the case, then I applaud them for doing so. The comics industry is very slow to change, and if those questions aren't continuously being asked, then it will be a very long time before they are answered. And while Marvel has made great strides in the diversity department, there is plenty of room for improvement.
    edited August 2015
    RepoMan said:

Well said.

Marvel has not been handling their optics well as of late. And, as with so many instances in the past, I wish some of the people behind the company that makes a lot of comics I like would just stay the hell off Twitter, you know what I mean? Because some of their online personalities (and, in some cases, their variant cover decisions) are a detriment to the quality and the sophistication of what is actually happening INSIDE the books.

But I can see why people are upset enough to not support them, and of course, that is their money and their right.

I just hope that, if and hopefully when Marvel, and other publishers, do the things that people are clamoring for, there is as much passion to support (and buy) those books as there is passion to criticize and not buy them. I wish loudly opting in to something worth supporting could make as much noise as loudly opting out tends to do, you know what I mean? Because if more of the books people are asking for get made, and then an audience shows up for them, I think that would make for a successful outcome for all parties involved.
    I'm sure there are several other minorities not being represented as much as the gay community feels they deserve. They just seem to have a bigger bully pulpit in the American media.
  • I dunno. I think there has been a pretty wide call for more diverse representation in comics the last few years. Even that boycott article is at least 50% about the lack of black creators at Marvel and the fact that they have never hired a black female writer, ever.

The truth is that no one wants to have to talk about diversity. It's tedious, and people think you are trying to ram some kind of agenda down their throats. But when it's not talked about, minorities are marginalized or disappear, or become some kind of nefarious "other", an easy marker to differentiate from the good and wholesome.

Marketing to the majority is good business sense. That's where the largest share of money is. But it creates a bias that says "if it's less successful it's unsuccessful". Doing things that turn that base off is not great for business and never will be. Minorities will often buy the same thing the majority will, the reverse is almost never true. Why would it be, when the majority already has a plethora of choice that matches their beliefs and culture? So how else should minorities attempt to get positive, leading representation if not by lobbying for it, hard and non-stop, until those biases are broken?
    Good points. Still doesn't change my opinion on Bleeding Cool's constant drum beating, but you're insight is solid.
    edited August 2015
    RepoMan said:

Well said.

I was thinking about this when I was at the shop today. And, in doing so-- it is a reminder of why readers blog about things like this, the issues that are important to them, and they have a stake in. The idea is to get people thinking, and noticing the status quo rather than taking it for granted, and I was.

But regarding Micheline's bottom-line action item, and her challenge to Marvel:
    So, we’re on a break until two things happen: (1) you hire three different black writers for your ongoing books and (2) you put forth three ongoing books with different queer leads.
    Both of those conditions must be met to get me to buy any of the rest of your books for the foreseeable future.
    I'm curious-- has there been a month when any publisher has met this expectation?

That is not to try to negate what she is asking for, as it is aspirational, I am honestly curious. I get why Marvel would be in her spotlight in particular. But I am also wonder how wide spread this criticism may or should reach, whether there has been a month in recent history when any publisher with a sizable line, like DC, Image, Dark Horse, Boom, or IDW, has had three different black writers and three different queer lead characters. Is this a sort of Bechdel test that is being applied to Marvel, but actually no one is currently passing?

And this isn't rhetorical. I don't know the answer, and I thought maybe someone who pays more attention than I have to the people behind the scenes than I do (e.g. until these recent controversies, I simply assumed that Al Ewing was black, since he seemed to be writing so many characters of color at Marvel... I don't know if that says something about the state of things at Marvel or the state of the attention I am not paying to newer creators that I simply made that leap); or who is more familiar with the current character lineup at DC than I am might have that answer.

I know that, even when it comes to some Image books that are highly (and I think, rightly) praised and rewarded for their quality, as well as their progressive reflection of a modern audience-- say, the Sagas and Sex Criminals of the world-- they are books written by a straight white man, and about a cisgender hetero couple. So they would not help Image as a publisher hit Micheline's goal. Nor would Ms. Marvel. Sure, DC has recently announced a partnership with Milestone, and as a longtime fan of their work, that is exciting. But I think those are OGNs, right? So most months that won't up DC's numbers.

I am not saying her bar is too high. I am just looking for anyone who might know if a publisher is currently hitting it with their ongoings? And, if not, was there a time in the past that Marvel or anyone else has?