Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2013

On December 26th, return to Sunnydale as presenter Naomi Alderman joins:
    Joss Whedon, Anthony Head, Neil Gaiman, Rhianna Pratchett (yes, that’s Terry Pratchett’s daughter), Jane Root, Susanne Daniels, Blake Harrison, and Bim Adewumni in a Rebecca Nicholson produced Front Row Special spotlighting Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

For clarification, this is a radio show spotlighting the television series.
    Unlike BBC iPlayer videos, iPlayer audio only programs ARE accessible outside of the U.K. To listen to it, follow the link below on the 26th. BBC Radio 4 often leaves up shows for a few days after the broadcast date, so if you can't listen to it live, there's a chance you can catch it later.

Click here on the 26th to listen to it on BBC Radio 4.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Binge-watching "Parks & Recreation".

Great show.

I now understand the Cult of Ron Swanson.

Rob Lowe's whacky-ass character has been a complete surprise, though. I never expected him to be so funny.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

Binge-watching "Parks & Recreation".

Great show.

I now understand the Cult of Ron Swanson.

Rob Lowe's whacky-ass character has been a complete surprise, though. I never expected him to be so funny.

The way things suddenly clicked in (Season 3? I think that's when Lowe and Adam Scott joined) took me by surprise. It was a funny show before that, but nothing I went out of my way to watch. Not only did they integrate too completely new characters, but they managed to make all the current characters work better. Well, minus the one they completely cut loose, but that was the probably the best solution in that case.
  • Options
    Parks & Rec is probably my favorite sitcom (in the last decade or so, anyway), and, yeah, the show hit its stride when Lowe and Scott were introduced (mid-way through Season 2 I think).

I almost skipped watching the show entirely. I wasn't that enthused with The Office (I know, I know, sacrilege and all), and I watched the pilot of Parks & Rec and thought, "Oh, they are just copying The Office."

I ended up watching anyway (probably nothing else on) and it paid off.
  • Options

Parks & Rec is probably my favorite sitcom (in the last decade or so, anyway), and, yeah, the show hit its stride when Lowe and Scott were introduced (mid-way through Season 2 I think).

I almost skipped watching the show entirely. I wasn't that enthused with The Office (I know, I know, sacrilege and all), and I watched the pilot of Parks & Rec and thought, "Oh, they are just copying The Office."

I watched the first season of P&R, didn't care for it, the first 5 or so episodes of season 2, didn't care for it, forgot to delete the show from my dvr and would just erase every episode after they piled up. Then, about halfway through season 3 I had absolutely nothing to watch one day and I had 3-4 episodes I hadn't erased yet... Been a fan ever since. Probably my favorite sitcom on right now (though if Community returns to former glory I wouldn't complain).
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

I watched the first season of P&R, didn't care for it, the first 5 or so episodes of season 2, didn't care for it, forgot to delete the show from my dvr and would just erase every episode after they piled up. Then, about halfway through season 3 I had absolutely nothing to watch one day and I had 3-4 episodes I hadn't erased yet... Been a fan ever since. Probably my favorite sitcom on right now (though if Community returns to former glory I wouldn't complain).
    I was lukewarm on the first season, fortunately there was only six episodes to slog through, come season two, the show steadily began to improve, the characters opened up and became more likeable. By season three, the show had truly found its footing, and I was hooked.

I do love this kind of TV comedy. 30 Rock, Community, Modern Family. all great stuff.
  • Options
    I see that Warehouse 13 is coming to a close with a final 6 episode season. I'll miss the show...it was a night, light little SF action series. A lot like the shows on USA, where you have a series filmed with bright light, lots of banter and enjoyable characters.

And the redhead is JUST ADORABLE!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Have now seen the latest Sherlock twice. Yes it's that awesome.
  • Options
    Oh look, Gotham series is about Bruce Wayne after all.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    True Detective on HBO is really, really good. Best cop show I have seen since The Wire (not that The Wire was purely a cop show).
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Was enjoying the first six episodes of Almost Human - like it quite a bit.
  • Options
    Sorkin finally announced he would do a 3rd and final season of Newsroom, Justified announced next season was its last, Mad Men is about to start it's final season and Son of Anarchy only has one season left.

I sure hope there are a few writer-driven series coming up soon or my Tivo will be awfully empty.
  • Options
    I finally watched Mob City after letting it sit on my DVR since December. Just in time to learn it's been canceled. I can see why. For a show with so much buzz when it was first announced, it certainly didn't amount to much. I have one episode to go, but so far I've just been sitting and wondering why they would cast so many strong actors, spend so much on production design, all in service of a script that does nothing but recycle every film noir cliche it can think of.

And I've never seen a script strain so hard for characters to leave out vital information just for the sake of a shocking reveal at the end of an episode.
  • Options

Sorkin finally announced he would do a 3rd and final season of Newsroom, Justified announced next season was its last, Mad Men is about to start it's final season and Son of Anarchy only has one season left.

I sure hope there are a few writer-driven series coming up soon or my Tivo will be awfully empty.

Mad Men's last season is being split into two mini-seasons, so we've got another year.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I've been watching BBC Musketeers to get a pre Dr. Capaldi fix and ended up really enjoying the show. It's big and loud and dumb with good looking actors.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    NBC is giving HEROES another stab. I posted a HEROES REBORN thread in the comic topic forum, 'cuz it's basically an on-screen comic book.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/2705/heroes-reborn-nbc-is-giving-it-another-go?new=1
  • Options
    Next week's Community episode looks epic.
    Here's a sneak peak - 'cuz knowing is half the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2N8wLKC7bw
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Does anyone else watch How I Met Your Mother? I just watched the finale, and the ending seemed kind of pointless. Its like there was no reason for the concept that the show was built around.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    sandman said:

Does anyone else watch How I Met Your Mother? I just watched the finale, and the ending seemed kind of pointless. Its like there was no reason for the concept that the show was built around.

I stopped watching it a few years ago. From the feedback I've seen on the finale, I'm glad that I did
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Never watched it. I've been hearing mixed reviews of the finale from friends -- some loved it, some hated it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like it fell victim to an unnecessary twist ending. Like many films and shows these days. Damn you Shyamalan!

It's weird when I watch older movies and they just end. I often feel this unconscious twinge, as if they forgot to do some big shock at the end, even though I know it's not necessary. I've only seen a little bit of HIMYM, but it didn't strike me as something that needed a convoluted, curveball of an ending.
  • Options
    @sandman ... I'm completely with you. It was an extremely irritating finale. I put it up there with the finales to "Dexter" and "LOST" in terms of my disappointment.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    chrisw said:

Sounds like it fell victim to an unnecessary twist ending. Like many films and shows these days. Damn you Shyamalan!

It's weird when I watch older movies and they just end. I often feel this unconscious twinge, as if they forgot to do some big shock at the end, even though I know it's not necessary. I've only seen a little bit of HIMYM, but it didn't strike me as something that needed a convoluted, curveball of an ending.

Yeah, you got it. The thing is, not only didn't it need the twist ending, but you could of made the twist the regular ending and could have been working to that point all along without having to throw in some twist to get there.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    chrisw said:

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Was it really a twist ending though? Going into Monday it was pretty public about what happens to mom. The final ending made sense because 7 of the 9 seasons were really about the final ending.