Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I finally got to wind up Breaking Bad via Netflix. I don't think I have a single bad thing to say about this series. It had everything, and it pretty much was everything, I could have asked for. I felt like nothing would ever match this again.

I just started watching House of Cards. Holy shit. :)
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

I finally got to wind up Breaking Bad via Netflix. I don't think I have a single bad thing to say about this series. It had everything, and it pretty much was everything, I could have asked for. I felt like nothing would ever match this again.

First of all, by applying the word 'wind' just before the title "Breaking Bad", it read, for me at least like that which blows and not what one does to make a spring. LOL

As for House of Cards - I just started Season 2 - Holy shit doesn't cover it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    How I met Your Mother Finale: FIXED IT!

• Options
    Ha! Yeah, saw that earlier.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2014
    Rat Queens is in development for an animated television series.

Hopefully Skullkickers gets the same kind of love somewhere down the road.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Torchsong said:

I rented season 1 of Breaking Bad out of my local library about a week ago. I immediately bought the DVD, plus seasons 2 and 3, knowing I'll be rewatching them. I'm glad I waited until the entire series was done so I don't have to wait to see how the story ends. I'll be buying seasons 4 and 5 next week.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Greg said:

Rat Queens is in development for an animated television series.

Hopefully Skullkickers gets the same kind of love somewhere down the road.

I would love Skullkickers as an animated series.
  • Options
    I'm terrified it will be based on the 2009 universe. I enjoyed those movies but they weren't Star Trek. Give me some reasonable hard sci-fi with a dash of boundless optimism.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I'm terrified it will be based on the 2009 universe. I enjoyed those movies but they weren't Star Trek. Give me some reasonable hard sci-fi with a dash of boundless optimism.
    Some seeking out new life and new civilizations would be nice.

As would boldly going where no one has gone before.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    WetRats said:

Some seeking out new life and new civilizations would be nice.

As would boldly going where no one has gone before.

These are the voyages of...Babylon 5!
    ;)
  • Options

I think Netflix is making a mistake by going after cancelled TV shows. It'll "brand" them as where failed shows end up.

I'd rather they be like IFC or AMC and start slowly with new shows that build an identity over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am now predisposed to try anything AMC or FX runs simply because they have done a great job at finding new series.

I'd never thought of that. That's a real possibility for Netflix though.

I'm with you on trusting AMC and FX on their new stuff. They've done such a stellar job in the past that I'm willing to give their new shows an episode or two just because they're on that network. Quality is so important. I don't think a lot of networks have figured that out. That, or they are more concerned with quantity over quality.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited June 2014

I think Netflix is making a mistake by going after cancelled TV shows. It'll "brand" them as where failed shows end up.

I'd rather they be like IFC or AMC and start slowly with new shows that build an identity over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am now predisposed to try anything AMC or FX runs simply because they have done a great job at finding new series.

I'd never thought of that. That's a real possibility for Netflix though.

I'm with you on trusting AMC and FX on their new stuff. They've done such a stellar job in the past that I'm willing to give their new shows an episode or two just because they're on that network. Quality is so important. I don't think a lot of networks have figured that out. That, or they are more concerned with quantity over quality.
    I think Netflix's slate of originals has ready made a pretty significant mark, especially House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. The only show they've brought back wholesale was Arrested Development, which was a smart move considering it's fan base and the attention it brought to their other original programs. The Killing was a show they had already been co-financing since the 3rd season so it makes sense for them to continue it, as shows with proper endings have a longer streaming life than shows that don't and they had already invested in it.

Also, I'd argue that AMC has not produced many great shows. Mad Men in its first few seasons and Breaking Bad. Otherwise it's been a lot of mediocre to terrible shows that all are in the vein of those first two shows but don't seem to understand what made them good. The exception being The Walking Dead which is terrible for its own reasons but is very much it's own thing.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I'm the opposite. I'd only watch it if it were based on the 2009 universe.

It's what actually got me into Star Trek.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Netflix doesn't have to worry much about their brand by bringing on failed TV shows. They already have forced MANY producers to complete series that were going to go away like Warehouse 13 and Nikita. They are the home for modern TV viewing...people discovered Breaking Bad THERE, not from AMC, and the producers says so.

They have found that if a series doesn't have a conclusion, their viewers don't watch it...so they force people to conclude series in order to get picked up.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Saw that earlier, @RedRight88‌ ... totally awesome.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    It's nice to see them get a chance to wrap things up (it's odd that the one time they write a season finale that doesn't feel like an episode finale, that's when the show ends up getting canceled), but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my enthusiasm for the show has dampened over these last two shortened seasons. Even with Dan Harmon coming back, something still felt off. Those first three seasons were so perfectly crafted that it's been odd to see them rush through things for the last two seasons. We've had some great crazy episodes, but often at the expense of the overall story arc, in my opinion. I just don't feel very connected to the characters anymore.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited July 2014
    I am so happy about this news. But I kinda agree with @chrisw that the show has lost steam in the last 2 years. Actually I'd say that the first half of last season was amazing (laughed till i cried during the ass crack bandit episode) but once Troy left some of the magic went with him. His friendship with Abed was so central to making Abed's meta narrative work, and therefore the show's meta narrative to work that without it some thief is lost. Also Donald Glover is amazing, let's hope for a guest spot next season!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I just wish they would resolve the whole Jeff/Annie thing, either have them hook-up or not. Just stop teasing it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    It will all be worth it if they give us another paintball episode.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited July 2014
    Anyone listen to the Harmontown podcast? It's basically Community creator Dan Harmon in front of an audience. He rants, tries to rap, gets drunk, fights with his girl friend, and plays Dungeons and Dragons. It's a fun show. Ricky and Morty is fun too.

http://harmontownpodcast.castmate.fm/
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2014
    Huh, I wonder why? Did they want more money? It's too bad...but, I have to admit I found myself fast forwarding through some of their segments because their myths just weren't very interesting. I've been watching the show since the very first season and those early shows are still my favorite. If they can capture that feel again I'll be happy but I'm still sad to see these three go.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Mythbusters has been on so long that the next myth they are going to bust is would Jane from 11th grade homeroom put out for a burger and fries.

"And the fact that she slapped Adam proves this myth is.....BUSTED!"
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Huh, I wonder why? Did they want more money? It's too bad...but, I have to admit I found myself fast forwarding through some of their segments because their myths just weren't very interesting. I've been watching the show since the very first season and those early shows are still my favorite. If they can capture that feel again I'll be happy but I'm still sad to see these three go.

Seems like Discovery is pushing the show in a different direction, bringing it back to its "roots" of the two primary mythbusters. It looks like the build team was just let go, which is even sadder.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited April 2015

Mr_Cosmic said:

Seems like Discovery is pushing the show in a different direction, bringing it back to its "roots" of the two primary mythbusters. It looks like the build team was just let go, which is even sadder.
    They always reminded me of The Wonder Twins: an ill-conceived sideshow taking time away from the real stars of the show.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Just a heads up for those of you who like to avoid spoilers (conversely, or for those of you who just can't get enough) - apparently, press screeners of the first 4 episodes of Game of Thrones season 5 leaked online.