Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: The Avengers

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2012
    The Hollywood Reporter is estimating Avengers to supass $500 million worldwide this weekend.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-avengers-pacing-500-million-globally-318568
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I think it could happen.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    It's currently at $260.5M after 7 days.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Saw this for the 3rd time yesterday...a friend invited me and insisted on the 3d version. Don't bother...it doesn't really add much! Otherwise, awesome movie!! And I just read that US audiences will get a 2nd after-credits sequence! Cool!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    While we wait these last few hours for the Avengers, here's a great clip to remind us why we love superhero movies (the good and the bad):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J27JZrsiZJY&feature=player_embedded#!
  • Options
    Saw this for the 3rd time yesterday...a friend invited me and insisted on the 3d version. Don't bother...it doesn't really add much! Otherwise, awesome movie!! And I just read that US audiences will get a 2nd after-credits sequence! Cool!
    That's friggin' awesome!

• Options
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/avengers-now-260-5m-overseas-could-reach-585m-worldwide-through-sunday-with-u-s-canada-russia-china-openings/
    FRIDAY 12:01 AM EXCLUSIVE… REFRESH FOR LATEST 24/7 UPDATES…
    Disney began releasing Marvel’s The Avengers in Digital 3D, RealD and IMAX 3D after midnight into about 2,500 locations around the U.S. and Canada after first playing filmmaker Joss Whedon’s pic overseas for the past week. “It’s tracking off the charts. Biggest in every category and with everyone — men, women, young, old. Any way you slice it and dice it. It’s just a mega-movie,” one rival studio mogul gushed to me Thursday night. And exhibitors hoping for record box office results are trying to accomodate all the crowds lining up for look at this rave-reviewed PG-13 superhero spectacle that’s earned $300+M internationally already. Major theater chains are adding shows from 12:01 AM into the wee hours. ”In an effort to handle the mass demand Regal will be adding additional AM shows at many theatres nationally,” Regal announced. At the AMC Empire Theatre in Manhattan, The Avengers was planning to show on 21 screens at 12:01 AM with contingency plans to play it on all 25 screens if needed. Turns out those extra screens were needed – and most of the moviegoers have on their RealD Avengers collector 3D glasses. Many moviegoers bought advance tickets for the ‘Ultimate Marvel Marathon’ – screenings of the Marvel Studios’ movies Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America leading up to the midnight release of The Avengers. The event sold out in several major U.S. and Canadian markets more than a month ago.

The first guest on NYC’s IMAX line had been there since 8:39 AM Thursday. The 12:01 IMAX show sold out weeks ago, and less than 100 seats remained for the 3:30 AM show. At the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, “round the clock” screenings of the 143-minute movie are skedded with breakfast served at 2:30 AM. Exclusive limited print run comic books are on hand for guests at the 4 AM showing. The pressure is on at this Disney-owned venue because The Avengers is the first Marvel Studios film to be marketed and distributed by The Walt Disney Studios which now owns the entertainment company. For Friday matinees leading into the all-important evening, Disney set its widest theater count at 4,349 locations, including 3,364 plays in 3D.

The U.S. debut follows the incredible success of The Avengers overseas in 41 countries with grosses totalling $281.1 million through its first eight days in theaters (photo right, Seoul). This weekend adds Russia and China where 3D actioners do incredibly well. In the U.S. no other big movie dared to open Friday against this mega-blockbuster which could speed anywhere past $160M during its first 3 days of release through Sunday. The first weekend of May is one of the most lucrative release dates each year, especially for Marvel comic book adaptations. (The first Spider-Man movie in 2002 set a new opening weekend record on this date as did Spider-Man 3 in 2007.) Now the only question is how big is big – and whether The Avengers will top Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2‘s current record of $169.2M because of ticket price inflation and 3D premiums.
  • Options
    Current tally before the weekend is $322.7M. $304M overseas and $18.7M domestic from midnight showings.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    So has it been confirmed there is a second after after credits scene?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    There's a mid-credit scene that sets up the next stage of Marvel movies and a post-credit scene that's just there for a laugh that is new to the US release.
  • Options
    I'm sure both scenes will pop up on YouTube soon.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I saw this from Exhibitor Relations who basically track theaters throughout the country but 190-200 million for the weekend. Simply incredible.
  • Options
    This is beyond awesome.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Looks like they're calling it. $200.1M for it's domestic opening. It also made an estimated $137.5M overseas this weekend for a 12 day total of $641.8M.

In one fell swoop, The Avengers and Disney has claimed any Box Office record you can think of that's associated with domestic opening weekends. It's taken the record for domestic opening, summer opening and 3D opening from Harry Potter 8. It's taken the May opening from Spider-Man 3 and the superhero opening from The Dark Knight.

Marvel has to be pleased with themselves. They set out with a plan 5 years ago and now it's come to fruition, with astounding results.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    As I've seen mentioned frequently on twitter you've gotta think DC are kicking themselves for turfing Whedon out.
  • Options
    That's ***ing awesome how well avengers did. I look at the box office grosses for the past few weeks and their all double digits. Looks like Avengers has proven that people still want to see movies, they just have to be awesome.
  • Options
    That's ***ing awesome how well avengers did. I look at the box office grosses for the past few weeks and their all double digits. Looks like Avengers has proven that people still want to see movies, they just have to be awesome.
    Your statement in itself is awesome.
  • Options
    The 2nd end credits scene is on YouTube. Check it out before it's taken down.
  • Options
    According to the rankings listed at http://news.yahoo.com/avengers-smashes-record-200-3-million-debut-153541542.html if you took the Avengers total weekend number, subtracted the box office for numbers 2-6 total, you would still set the all-time record for opening weekend box-office.

Also, according to that article, Avengers also set the opening weekend box office record when adjusted for inflation.

I wonder if they're gonna make another one.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @KyleMoyer : don't forget it also made more money due to higher ticket prices for 3D showings - guess this adds a couple of millions....or has this already been adjusted as well? And what about those crazy folks who already went 3-5 times to see it..... (myself went 2 times...)
  • Options
    According to that article it was the record holder as far as strict number of tickets sold. However I thought theaters only reported the dollars so they may have had to use some approximation methods to arrive at that number.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Mark Ruffalo on promotion tour on BBC. Watched the show as it aired. Ruffalo is such a likeable dude. And a great actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwRis0CZhQ
  • Options
    Weekend actuals are in, and Avengers' approximate domestic opening was $207.4M. $654.8M worldwide.
    Friggin awesome.

• Options
    Tally before the weekend is $803.3M worldwide. It has earned $148.5M over the last 4 days. Avengers is looking to make another $80+M domestic this weekend. It's competition, Dark Shadows, is estimated to only open with $27-$30M.

Avengers is expected to gross $1B by Sunday.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    This movie will break every major record but it seems like no movie is holding on to records for any long period of time anymore. I wonder how long The Avengers will retain these records.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Until the next movie that encounters a higher ticket price, 3d and IMAX. The IMAX charge and 3dmcharge artificially inflates the actuals.
  • Options
    In all fairness though, the article I read (and linked to earlier in here), said that Avengers opening weekend box office was the record setter in number of tickets sold, adjusted for inflation.

I still use that excuse though for movies I don't like.