Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: The Avengers

Comments

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    edited May 2012
    I agree. I was answering Quinn's question
    Batman has the potential to do it
    So does spider man
    And the hobbit
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Out of all these movies I believe the hobbit has the best chance of topping the avengers. While Batman may be good, parents probably will not be bringing their younger children. I watched the avengers twice so a movie must be at that level to top the avengers. I have no idea how spider man will perform as it is a reboot to such a recent trilogy.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I agree. I was answering Quinn's question
    Batman has the potential to do it
    So does spider man
    And the hobbit
    My money's on Piranha 3DD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XIyJO6vf3c
  • Options
    and to clarify, yes that's a real movie trailer and not a fake spoof trailer.
  • Options
    The secret to huge money is repeat viewings. Nothing else.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Regardless of ticket prices my family of four saw that movie a total of 8 times in the first week. We have NEVER done that. And I know I got at least two more viewings.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The secret to huge money is repeat viewings. Nothing else.
    Going again tomorrow. $5 Tuesdays!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm happy it's doing so well. Kudos to all involved.

While I probably won't see it in a theater again, I am so all over the Blu-Ray when it comes out.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2012
    Marvel Studios and Paramount have released a timeline of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Timeline
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    this in from :hollywoodreporter.com

Marvel Moolah: Robert Downey Jr. 'Avengers' Pay Set to Hit $50 Million
    A deal incorporating box office bonuses and back-end compensation for the man who plays Iron Man blows away the salaries of his superhero co-stars.
    Marvel’s The Avengers is a global box-office sensation, but among studio executives, it’s being hailed as much as a triumph of smart dealmaking. After all, the famously frugal Marvel managed to corral six hot stars into one film without breaking the bank. But Robert Downey Jr., 47, seems to be the lone exception to Marvel’s strict cost controls.
    According to multiple knowledgeable sources, Iron Man/Tony Stark is set for a highflying payday of about $50 million once box-office bonuses and backend compensation are factored in. (Two sources claim the number could go higher than $50 million once the ultimate box-office haul of Avengers is known, but another cautions that it could be years before the final number is known.) While on par with the upper echelon of franchise movie stars, that number blows away his superhero co-stars, all of whom will make a small fraction of Downey’s total, even as Avengers has a shot at topping the final Harry Potter film’s $1.32 billion global haul.
    Why the difference? When Marvel’s Iron Man grossed a surprising $585 million worldwide in 2008, Downey’s reps at CAA and the Hansen Jacobson law firm renegotiated a deal to include what multiple sources say is a slice of Marvel’s revenue from future movies in which he plays Iron Man (one source puts it in the 5 percent to 7 percent range; another source disputes the percentage. Marvel and Downey’s reps declined comment).
    As Marvel launched other hero pics that would lead up to Avengers, the studio struck hard bargains. Two sources say Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo all signed on for small upfront fees and ultimately will make about $2 million to $3 million on Avengers with bonuses. Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, who signed deals to pop up in several Marvel movies, are said to be making about twice that for Avengers with bonuses.
    While Downey’s pay might seem high, it's not unheard of for stars with backend to collect super-rich paydays when their films become global smashes. Johnny Depp is said to have made at least $250 million from the four Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and Forbes reported that director Michael Bay took home $80 million from the first Transformers. (He likely made more than that for the sequels.)
    At those rates, Downey almost seems cheap.
    (source: hollywoodreporter.com)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Marvel Moolah: Robert Downey Jr. 'Avengers' Pay Set to Hit $50 Million
    Good for him!

If he chose to be incredibly classy, he could set up a nice trust fund for the Kirby family.

I'd like to think I would in his position.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Well earned in my opinion. But you know some studio exec is saying "$50 million? But the suit is the star! Let's go get a young and dark Tony Stark and reboot. We can make it for $50 million."
  • Options
    Jack Nicholson had a similar deal with batman. He is still making money from that film.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    It hit the comics too. An avengers 1 in vg sold for $2500 yesterday. Almost 2x what it would have been a month ago.
  • Options
    Thanos appearances should go up. So should infinity gauntlet related stories with all the speculation flying around.
  • Options
    Thanos appearances should go up. So should infinity gauntlet related stories with all the speculation flying around.
    Infinity Crusade, I knew your day would come!
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    They already have. Infinity Gauntlet is going for $60 a set or so.

Iron Man 55 is climbing fast.
  • Options
    Maybe there will be a Book of the Month: Infinity Gauntlet edition?

But of course, how can one forget its prequel... Thanos Quest?

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Re: New value for Thanos comics

There is an enterprising sidewalk vendor in my neighborhood that has, for probably four or five years now, been setting up a table to sell comics and related merchandise right outside of the big movie theater. He does a good job of featuring stock that relate to the movie.

I (fortunately) didn't notice all the Thanos covers on my way into the movie, but I definitely saw them on the way out.

I wonder how far back in his storage he had to dig to bring those into the light of day again.
  • Options
    My first exposure to Thanos:

Bought it at an extinct video rental place in Florida years ago.
  • Options
    I sure hope my Logan's Run #6 goes up!
  • Options
    You can rent extinct videos?

Cool!
  • Options
    I am fairly certain that this is the issue of Marvel Age that set of my lifelong obsession with Wild Cards
    My first exposure to Thanos:

• Options
    I sure hope my Logan's Run #6 goes up!
    So that's what the kids are calling it these days...
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Cool!
    Wise guy, eh?

Why, I oughta--!
  • Options

Cool!
    I don't think you can rent any videos anymore (unless they come from a redbox or a library)
  • Options

Cool!
    I don't think you can rent any videos anymore (unless they come from a redbox or a library)
    Indeed.

Also, the place I was referring to isn't even around anymore. And I do believe this was a time before DVDs.

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2012
    At $1.070B, Avengers is now the highest grossing Disney release, jumping over Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Toy Story 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

It's now the 6th highest grossing film of all time and will overtake The Return of the King and Transformers 3 for the #4 spot by the end of the weekend.