Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I find Moffatt uneven (just like I found Davies uneven), but I'd be crazy to think the show was anything other than close to the best it's ever been during these fifty years. I love much of the classic era, but it was in no way as consistent as what we get now (although, bearing in mind the limitations of the time, much of it is closer to the quality of today than people realize).

I have only one major complaint with Moffat's run, and it's also the point at which I felt the Smith era went from strong to uneven - the loss of Amy and Rory's child, and the failure to have any strong scene addressing it. It's a big gaping hole for me that Amy never confronted The Doctor in any meaningfrul way. That was such a devastating loss that if the show had remained true to the characters, it would have seen the end of the Ponds as companions. I realize that's why we probably didn't get that moment, because they had another year to go on the show, but Moffat's a good enough writer that he should have known he was writing himself into a corner.

If not Amy, then, at the very least, Rory should have stepped up and done or said something. And I don't think I'm projecting how I would have reacted onto these characters. I genuinely think that's how they would have responded, and to not see them do that felt dishonest to me.

We may not have gotten as dramatic an exit for them, but in my opinion, Amy and/or Rory making the choice to not travel with The Doctor after suffering such a loss would have made more sense. And The Doctor respecting their wishes by leaving them alone still carries a lot of emotional weight.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Yes. As a father, I think the loss of the Pond's child was not addressed very well or enough. There should have been more to it and I wished it would have been handled a bit more.
  • Guess I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed this so much more than the 50th. I felt like it resolved most of the plot threads of the Matt Smith era and was very much a call back to his first episode in a lot of ways.

As for him not actually answering the question, I don't think he was compelled to answer, just that if he choose to answer he'd be compelled to answer truthfully. The only scene where we see the Doctor or Clara try to lie they had no idea there was a truth field. And to the question as to whether the time-lords "love" the Doctor, they've had a couple hundred years to think about the fact that he saved them from annihilation, and that he's probably their only chance at ever making it back to this universe, so I think they've got good reason to give him a new set of regenerations.

Also I believe that Tasha Lem is probably somehow related to River Song.

One gripe... No one seemed to know what the Tardis was the first time it returned to Christmas, yet 2/3rds of the childrens drawings included it?
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited January 2014
    I have a question regarding the music played during the Christmas special's regeneration scene. Is it a new piece or one we've heard before? It sounds very familiar, but I haven't been able to ID it. I confess I have a lousy ear for such things, and I only own a couple of the Doctor Who music CDs. If it's a preexisting Doctor Who track what's the title?

Here's the sequence - and of course SPOILER WARNING.
    I'm referring to the bit that immediately follows the transformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BehwuPQm16A
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    This is AWESOME:
    To mark the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, I present every story ever transmitted plus all the licenced spin-off dramas which expand the Doctor Who Universe and those instances in which actors have reprised their fictional Who characters in other productions. There is no section for any other type of spoof, sketch, special or public appearance..

50 Years of Doctor Who compressed into thirteen minutes.

A big thank you to those who so kindly contributed to this video - to David J Howe, Richard Bignell, Simeon Carter and to Robert Haynes & Quinton Kyle Hoover, all of whom have helped to make this video complete.

Also a massive thank you to the very talented John Guilor, Peter Walsh and Jonathon Carley, who gave their time and vocal talents so generously for the benefit of all fans.

In response to enquiries, Tom Baker and William Hartnell were recreated by John Guilor; John Hurt was recreated by Jonathon Carley and Christopher Eccleston was recreated by Peter Walsh - three very talent vocal artists who agreed to contribute to this video and deserve recognition and applause for their kindness and skill.

Happy 50th birthday Doctor Who!

http://youtu.be/rxmXrOPYirI
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    That is an awesome video. It's a nice update from the one they did a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN5jPQdJXYE

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Glad to be seeing more of those characters. Wish they'd get a spinoff.
    When was the last time we had a post-regeneration story that was set somewhere other than contemporary Earth? I'm thinking it hasn't been since McCoy.

Okay, technically Smith's was partly set a decade in the past, but it was still what we think of as modern Earth.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    Interesting shirt...
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Not as interesting as this shirt
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Very much looking forward to Mr Capaldis Doctor.

Actor Roger Lloyd-Pack has died.
    Roger is probably best known in the U.S. for playing Barty Crouch Sr. in the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie. Roger was an accomplished actor with numerous credits under his belt. Doctor Who fans may remember him as John Lumic in the 2006 Age of Steel and Rise of the Cybermen episodes.

R.i.P., Roger.

Actor Roger Lloyd-Pack has died.
    Roger is probably best known in the U.S. for playing Barty Crouch Sr. in the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie. Roger was an accomplished actor with numerous credits under his belt. Doctor Who fans may remember him as John Lumic in the 2006 Age of Steel and Rise of the Cybermen episodes.

R.i.P., Roger.

In my opinion, one of the few times the new series delivered a memorable, human villain in the vein of the classic series.
    I've been propositioned to co-host a Doctor Who podcast. Now, I've never partaken in a podcast before (other than the rare call in to CGS), but I'm considering giving it a shot. The person who asked me to be part of the team, is someone who is no stranger to podcasting. He currently co-hosts two other fairly successful podcasts (both well-established). I don't want to reveal too much, but I will say that the intent is to cover the series starting with Hartnell's first episode and working our way forward. I'm seeking your feedback. Would folks here be interested in such a show?

I've been propositioned to co-host a Doctor Who podcast. Now, I've never partaken in a podcast before (other than the rare call in to CGS), but I'm considering giving it a shot. The person who asked me to be part of the team, is someone who is no stranger to podcasting. He currently co-hosts two other fairly successful podcasts (both well-established). I don't want to reveal too much, but I will say that the intent is to cover the series starting with Hartnell's first episode and working our way forward. I'm seeking your feedback. Would folks here be interested in such a show?

I don't listen to too many podcasts these days (actually, at the moment, I'm not listening to any - I'd reached a point where keeping up with them meant I was hardly ever listening to music on my iPod, so I quit cold turkey) but as someone currently working my way through all the classic episodes, I'm always interested in something covering that. I already go to several books and websites after watching each story to see what people make of it. I would definitely listen to a podcast.
    I confess, I haven't watched the vast majority of the pre-2005 Doctor Who episodes, so part of my reason for considering taking up the offer is to get on that bandwagon. The plan is to cover lost episodes as well (i.e. we'll be discussing whatever remnants of them remain - transcripts, audio recordings, etc... ). Some of the others involved in the project aren't the novice I am when it comes to those early years so the commentary won't strictly be that of someone experiencing an episode for the first time.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    I've been making my way through the Series 1-7 Blue-Ray set and I've got a question on the audio commentaries.

I've found commentaries online for Series 2 and Series 3 episodes that are different than the ones on the discs, but I'm unable to download them. Does anybody know the story behind these different commentaries and where they can be obtained?
    edited January 2014
    We recorded our first Doctor Who podcast tonight.
    The goal is to have several said and done before we begin to release them. Our target date is sometime in early February.
    I'll post a link and provide more details once I'm able to do so.

Also, this:
    It's the May 1976 issue of the Doctor Who International Fan Club Magazine, featuring artwork by a young Mr. Peter Capaldi.

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited January 2014
    I partook in another Doctor Who podcast recording last night, and tonight I plan to meetup with a bunch of Bay Area Whovians in an attempt to recruit some additional voices for the podcast. Progress is being made.

And on a somewhat unrelated note, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSfAub8zgw

edited January 2014
    Fried chicken, waffles, Doctor Who and good company too. There are far worse ways one can spend a Friday night. It turns out the International House of Pancakes, located right down the street from me, hosts a monthly Doctor Who fan meetup. The event was well-attended (IHOP staff had to keep adding additional tables). There were approximately 40-50 fellow Whovians in attendance. Tonight's itinerary included a viewing of Patrick Troughton '60s era story arc "The Enemy of the World" (parts 1-4, of 6). I'll have to be sure to attend their next meeting for installments 5 & 6. They also held a raffle for various Doctor Who-themed toys, DVDs and a book. I didn't win, but a friend of mine did.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Bleedingcool has Capaldi in the new Doc's official clothes.
    edited January 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Bleedingcool has Capaldi in the new Doc's official clothes.

no link? What the heck man?!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/27/official-image-peter-capaldi-in-the-new-doctors-costume/

incidentally, that pose makes it look like he is halfway through the Greased Lightning number from the musical Grease.

edited January 2014