Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Recent/Upcoming

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I'm all for mindless popcorn movies. I love most of Michael bay's films. But battleship is the wrong kind of dreck. No script. They filmed the ending several times. Throwing scads of money at good actors to gain cred. It was due more than a year ago. It's been in post for more than a year!
    I too enjoy a good mindless popcorn flick sometimes. But Battleship looks to be all flash no substance. I am more excited about the Asylum's American Battleship that is airing the Saturday after Battleship premieres. From what I heard American Battleship even has the line "They SANK MY BATTLESHIP!" in it.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I love Asylum sometimes. Such a guilty pleasure.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'm all for mindless popcorn movies. I love most of Michael bay's films. But battleship is the wrong kind of dreck. No script. They filmed the ending several times. Throwing scads of money at good actors to gain cred. It was due more than a year ago. It's been in post for more than a year!
    I didn't know any of that, but overall I agree with you. I love mindless popcorn movies when they're done right. To me, what made Battleship such a good movie to poke fun at was the fact that it's based on the game Battleship despite having nothing to do with that game and despite the fact that basing a movie on the game Battleship is a bizarre idea to begin with. If it was just released as is, but with a different name, I think it might have actually made a bit more money than with the Battleship name because most people I've talked to (offline at least) think it's ridiculous without even knowing anything about the movie. I actually thought some of the trailers looked kinda cool, but I couldn't get past the whole Battleship thing.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Weekend Box Office, May 20th.

Domestic
    1. The Avengers (Week 3) - $55.6M
    2. Battleship (New) - $25.5M
    3. The Dictator (New) - $17.4M
    4. Dark Shadows (Week 2) - $12.5M
    5. What to Expect When You're Expecting (New) - $10.5M
    6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Week 3) - $3.2M
    7. The Hunger Games (Week 9) - $2.9M
    8. Think Like a Man (Week 5) - $2.6M
    9. The Lucky One (Week 5) - $1.7M
    10. The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Week 4) - $1.5M

Foreign
    1. The Avengers (Week 4) - $59.1M
    2. Dark Shadows (Week 2) - $31M
    3. The Dictator (New) - $30.9M
    4. American Reunion (Week 7) - $9.7M
    5. Battleship (Week 6) - $6.4M
  • Options
    EdChambersEdChambers Posts: 64
    I just want to thank Tazmaniak for posting the Weekend Box Office information each week. Thank you, Tazmaniak! I appreciate you sharing this here.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263

Photobucket (
    I love this so much. This guy is really the man
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

I too enjoy a good mindless popcorn flick sometimes. But Battleship looks to be all flash no substance. I am more excited about the Asylum's American Battleship that is airing the Saturday after Battleship premieres. From what I heard American Battleship even has the line "They SANK MY BATTLESHIP!" in it.

Actually, it's "Let's sink this Battleship!"
    Also, Hasbro forced them to change the name to American WARSHIP.

Here's a review
    thecinemasnob.com/2012/05/19/review-the-asylums-american-warships.aspx
  • Options

Actually, it's "Let's sink this Battleship!"
    Also, Hasbro forced them to change the name to American WARSHIP.

Here's a review
    thecinemasnob.com/2012/05/19/review-the-asylums-american-warships.aspx
    I watched about half of American WARSHIP Saturday night. Wasn't bad for a SYFY original film.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    We have a voice cast for The Dark Knight Returns.

Peter Weller (Robocop) will star as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Modern Family’s middle child Ariel Winter will play Robin.

Warners and DC are splitting up the adaptation of the dense four-part graphic novel into two animated features titled Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 and Part 2. The first movie, which will be released under the DC Comics Premiere Movie brand, will hit shelves in the fall. Part 2 will be released in early 2013.

Also in the cast are David Selby, the veteran actor who starred in the original Dark Shadows soap opera as well as the classic 1980s soap Falcon Crest; Wade Williams (Prison Break) as Harvey Dent/Two-Face; and Michael McKean as Dr. Wolper, the psychiatrist who releases the Joker from the insane asylum.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Oh crap on a stick. G.I. Joe: Retaliation won't be coming out until March 2013 so they can 3D-ize it.

i09 Article Here.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Oh crap on a stick. G.I. Joe: Retaliation won't be coming out until March 2013 so they can 3D-ize it.

i09 Article Here.
    Never a good sign.
  • Options

i09 Article Here.
    They should add some dimension to some of those characters, while they're at it. :)
  • Options

i09 Article Here.
    They should add some dimension to some of those characters, while they're at it. :)
    A third dimension isn't enough for you? :p

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    nice read from today's Guardian

Prometheus: the making of a new myth
    What made Ridley Scott revisit the world of his his iconic movie Alien more than 30 years later? The reasons are complicated, writes Damon Wise, and the results aren't what you'd expect
    Alien timeline

It's 2093, and Michael Fassbender jets off into space in search of the origin of humanity …

Twenty-nine years later, an evil Alien bursts out of John Hurt's chest …

Come 2179, Sigourney Weaver is revived from hypersleep and gains a child sidekick …

… before crash-landing on a prison planet, with another psychopathic alien in tow.

For some reason in 2381 she's brought back to life …

… only to discover that the franchise has gone to pot, leaving our Alien queen to duke it out with a Predator.

• Options
    Weekend Box Office, May 27th.

Domestic
    1. Men in Black 3 (New) - $54.5M
    2. The Avengers (Week 4) - $36.6M
    3. Battleship (Week 2) - $11M
    4. The Dictator (Week 2) - $9.2M
    5. Chernobyl Diaries (New) - $7.9M
    6. Dark Shadows (Week 3) - $7.5M
    7. What to Expect When You're Expecting (Week 2) - $7.1M
    8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Week 4) - $6.3M
    9. The Hunger Games (Week 10) - $2.3M
    10. Think Like a Man (Week 6) - $1.4M

Foreign
    1. Men in Black 3 (New) - $135.3M
    2. The Avengers (Week 5) - $24.6M
    3. Dark Shadows (Week 3) - $12.2M
    4. The Dictator (Week 2) - $10.4M
    5. American Reunion (Week 8) - $3.4M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ATTENTION!!! : SPOILER - HEAVY - SPOILER - HEAVY

PROMETHEUS REVIEW
    from the Guardian

enter at your own risk >>>> guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/30/prometheus-review
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    New release dates.

The Lone Ranger - July 3, 2013.

Independence Day 3D - July 3, 2013

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - August 16, 2013.

Thor 2 - November 8, 2013.

Robopocalypse - April 24, 2014.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - May 23, 2014

X-Men: First Class Sequel - July 18, 2014

• Options
    Weekend Box Office, June 3rd.

Domestic
    1. Snow White and the Huntsman (New) - $56.2M
    2. Men in Black 3 (Week 2) - $28M
    3. The Avengers (Week 5) - $20.4M
    4. Battleship (Week 3) - $5M
    5. The Dictator (Week 3) - $4.7M
    6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Week 5) - $4.48M
    7. What to Expect When You're Expecting (Week 3) - $4.4M
    8. Dark Shadows (Week 4) - $3.7M
    9. Chernobyl Diaries (Week 2) - $3.1M
    10. For Greater Glory (New) - $1.88M

Foreign
    1. Men in Black 3 (Week 2) - $78.5M
    2. Snow White and the Huntsman (New) - $39.3M
    3. Prometheus (New) - $34.8M
    4. The Avengers (Week 6) - $16.3M
    5. Dark Shadows (Week 4) - $7.5M
  • Options
    Not a good second week for mib3
  • Options
    Not that surprised the reviews I have seen haven't been good. I figured I would wait on DVD to see it.

• Options
    Not that surprised the reviews I have seen haven't been good. I figured I would wait on DVD to see it.

As am I.
  • Options

As am I.
    It was fun. If you liked the first two, you should like this one.
  • Options

As am I.
    I liked the first one. Despite it having Will Smith in it. But the second one I didn't like at all.

• Options

As am I.
    Loved the first one. Wasn't crazy about the second.

I feel like the Men in Black cartoon spoiled me.

• Options

As am I.
    Loved the first one. Wasn't crazy about the second.

I feel like the Men in Black cartoon spoiled me.

Been watching the cartoon almost everyday on The Hub. I actually like it more than the first 2 films.
  • Options
    I liked the first one. Despite it having Will Smith in it. But the second one I didn't like at all.
    If you're not a Will Smith fan, don't waste your time. He carries the whole movie.

Also.

If you're not a Will Smith fan, what the heck's wrong with you? He's the Most Likeable Man in America! B-)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    Will smith is an overexposed overrated performer who attempts to act. I won't even call him an actor. Acting is the opposite of what will smith does. He is a charming person which reflects in characters he portrays that are closest to him.
    That said
    I hated the first two mibs. Have no interest to see 3.
    I looooved that cartoon though. So good.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Will smith is an overexposed overrated performer who attempts to act. I won't even call him an actor. Acting is the opposite of what will smith does. He is a charming person which reflects in characters he portrays that are closest to him.
    Seeing your post under the trailer for "Django Unchained", a film that Will Smith turned down, only drives your point home even more.

He's a likable guy who almost never challenges himself when choosing roles.