Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Recent/Upcoming

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Cant find a better place to post this but I have got to vent on how completely rediculous and aweful Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was! Didnt get to see it till last night on VoD. What the hell was that?
    Pants and almost fell asleep in it. So bad.
    The spinning part and Christopher lambert's role will haunt me forever.
    It should have been called ghost rider what has been seen cannot be unseen
    No shit. Im still just in awe and actually angry over how such a celluloid abortion was even possible at this time in history. I think this just might be the single worst comicbook movie ever made. Ever.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    edited June 2012

Worse than Elektra? Yes
    Worse than batman and robin? Yes
    Worse than lundgren punisher? Yes (but I'm bias as I love that flick)
    Worse than the nick fury hasslehoff tv flick? Wellllllll...maybe
    Worse than alien vs predator 2? No
    Worse than the 1994 ff flick? No, maybe
    Worse than son of mask? Yes
    Worse than Howard the duck? No. Nothing is worse than that
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Cant find a better place to post this but I have got to vent on how completely rediculous and aweful Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was! Didnt get to see it till last night on VoD. What the hell was that?
    Pants and almost fell asleep in it. So bad.
    The spinning part and Christopher lambert's role will haunt me forever.
    It should have been called ghost rider what has been seen cannot be unseen
    Sounds like you got Penance-Stared.

• Options
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Outside of Brave and Dark Knight Rises there is nothing left for me to see this summer. Unless that rumour of them releasing a director's cut of Avengers is true. Only going to see Brave because of the kids. My new TV has caused me to skip going to the show and get things via blu-ray rental. Thanks Redbox.

And yes I know Amazing Spider-man is coming out. :)
  • Options

And yes I know Amazing Spider-man is coming out. :)
    I like the way you handled that.
  • Options
    I am still undecided about seeing spidey. I don't know if I want to spend the money on it.
    Very few films are worth paying to see in the theatre. That's a big part of why I worked in one.
    Dark knight, brave, and total recall are on my card currently.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I like that they’re bringing in the web shooters and all, but the Spidey trailers have felt a little flat to me. I'll wait on it. But my 6-year-old daughter wants to see Brave, as does my wife (and she hates going to the theater), and I’ve been waiting for it for months, so we’ll make that my daughter’s first movie-going experience.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    For me, seeing The Avengers seemed to completely sap what little excitement I had for either Spidey or Batman this summer. I know I've already seen the best comic book/superhero movie of the summer.

Admittedly, my excitement for The Dark Knight Rises was kind of on life support, anyway (nothing I've seen of it has really grabbed me so far), and I was never really excited in any way for The Amazing Spider-Man (another origin story, wetsuit-looking costume, another origin story, the Lizard looking more like Killer Croc, did I mention that it is another origin story?).

I'm more likely to see The Dark Knight Rises that The Amazing Spider-Man.

You know, it is funny - 25 years ago, I was watching ANY film based on a comic property because it was based on a comic property. If Young Earth G Billy could see me now, actually debating whether or not to see these movies in the theater, it would blow his mind that we've come to the embarrassment of riches where quality and interest actually factor into the decision.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @EarthGBilly : welcome to the illustrious cirlcle of old farts :-bd
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Thank you. I knew that one day I'd make it.

Now, you kids get off my lawn!
  • Options
    I'm right there with you earthgbilly
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @EarthGBilly : welcome to the illustrious cirlcle of old farts :-bd
    The Illustrious Circle of Old Farts.

We need membership cards.

And ridiculous hats.

Maybe this one?

• Options
    Awesome hat \:D/
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It comes with a free bowl of soup.
  • Options
    It better be cabbage soup....
  • Options
    It comes with a free bowl of soup.
    You beat me to it!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

Oooooooooooh yeah!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Watch a bit of fry and Laurie. That is some good stuff
    Ever come across a movie called Peter's Friends? Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie and several other faces I think you might recognize. Kind of a small movie and probably not what you would expect.
  • Options
    Every bit as bad as the original but in different ways. I lay this at the feet of Nick Cage. He has no business being in this movie doing his goofy cobra snake hypnosis head weave.

I know Daredevil takes a lot of heat for being a terrible comic book movie but I don't blame Ben Afflec for that. I thought he was completely serviceable as Murdock and liked him in the film. The issues with daredevil fall clearly on the director...mark Stephen Johnson (was that his name?)...and terrible ass Colin Ferrel who actually said in an interview that for a comic book movie all be had to do was show up and growl.

Gimme a ghost rider movie with a no name actor in it, make is a horror movie, stop with the damn one liners (demons from hell rarely have a sense of humor, angels even less so) and give me a decent story.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    pre-sales and other projection machines point towards a $125+M opening weekend for Amazing Spider-Man. Maybe a reboot wasn't a bad idea?

though revenue does not equal quality....
  • Options
    pre-sales and other projection machines point towards a $125+M opening weekend for Amazing Spider-Man. Maybe a reboot wasn't a bad idea?

though revenue does not equal quality....
    Your statement reminds me of Wild Wild West. Big budget Terrible!
  • Options
    Watch a bit of fry and Laurie. That is some good stuff
    Ever come across a movie called Peter's Friends? Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie and several other faces I think you might recognize. Kind of a small movie and probably not what you would expect.
    Since Henry V if Brannagh directs it I watch it then own it.
    Peter's friends was good. Not great. It isn't aging well. The characters are kind of interesting but majorly unlike able. They were a tight nit bunch when it was made. Brannagh was dating/engaged to Thompson.
    Worth watching, certainly, especially if you like the big chill type movies.

Have you watched any of his other films?
  • Options
    Every bit as bad as the original but in different ways. I lay this at the feet of Nick Cage. He has no business being in this movie doing his goofy cobra snake hypnosis head weave.

I know Daredevil takes a lot of heat for being a terrible comic book movie but I don't blame Ben Afflec for that. I thought he was completely serviceable as Murdock and liked him in the film. The issues with daredevil fall clearly on the director...mark Stephen Johnson (was that his name?)...and terrible ass Colin Ferrel who actually said in an interview that for a comic book movie all be had to do was show up and growl.

Gimme a ghost rider movie with a no name actor in it, make is a horror movie, stop with the damn one liners (demons from hell rarely have a sense of humor, angels even less so) and give me a decent story.
    I actually found Colin Ferrel, or rather, his Bullseye to be one of the enjoyable parts of Daredevil. Of course, it's been a long time since I've seen Daredevil.
  • Options
    Mike,

Heck yeah! I've seen most of Brannagh's movies. Look Back in Anger, MaryShelley's Frankenstein, hamlet, Othello, Henry V, Much ado about Nothing, Peters friends, Thor (obviously), Swing Kids, yadda yadda yadda. I actually still hold a grudge against Helena bonham carter for breaking up the Brannagh/Thompson duo. I think my favorite might beDead Again, with good old Derrick Jacobi studdering...
  • Options
    Mike,

Heck yeah! I've seen most of Brannagh's movies. Look Back in Anger, MaryShelley's Frankenstein, hamlet, Othello, Henry V, Much ado about Nothing, Peters friends, Thor (obviously), Swing Kids, yadda yadda yadda. I actually still hold a grudge against Helena bonham carter for breaking up the Brannagh/Thompson duo. I think my favorite might beDead Again, with good old Derrick Jacobi studdering...
    My fave is Henry V, then hamlet.
    The quality of his movies is all over the place but he is doing what he wants to do. Much like the auteurs. They are never a waste of time.
  • Options
    Mike,

My fave is Henry V, then hamlet.
    The quality of his movies is all over the place but he is doing what he wants to do. Much like the auteurs. They are never a waste of time.
    I don't know if I'd say his quality was all over the place. Even at his worst Brannagh is still better than average. I thought Love Labors Lost was a little goofy. I understood bringing Hamlet a little forward in time to a place familiar enough that we understand and recognize things but far enough removed that we could believe they would speak in a heightened language. But moving Loves Labors into the 1930's was, like I said, a bit goofy. Still though, beats the ever loving fuck out of Mel Gibsons Hamlet.