Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Recent/Upcoming

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

"It's the most beloved Christmas story of all time..."

... so 30 years later, we decided to urinate on its memory with this straight to DVD abomination, a blatant last attempt to milk this cash-cow as much as we can and at the same time rape your warm and nostalgic memories of the original.

Starring Daniel Stern.

Then again, I like Daniel Stern...I honestly can't remember the last time I saw him in anything.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

"... so 30 years later, we decided to urinate on its memory with this straight to DVD abomination, a blatant last attempt to milk this cash-cow as much as we can and at the same time rape your warm and nostalgic memories of the original.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    There actually already is a sequel to "A Christmas Story", by the same director and writers, with Jean Shepherd's involvement - "My Summer Story". I've never seen it, but it is intended as a continuation of the first film.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Bored at work. This is my top 10 Horror movies in no particular order...

Day of the Dead
    American Werewolf in London
    Dog Soldiers
    The Thing
    The Descent
    The Resident
    The Wicker Man
    Fright Night
    Dawn of the Dead
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Where any remakes exist my list will ALWAYS refer to the original.

• Options
    random73 said:

Bored at work. This is my top 10 Horror movies in no particular order...

Day of the Dead
    American Werewolf in London
    Dog Soldiers
    The Thing
    The Descent
    The Resident
    The Wicker Man
    Fright Night
    Dawn of the Dead
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Where any remakes exist my list will ALWAYS refer to the original.

In that case, just to be clear: when you say "The Thing", you mean the Howard Hawkes version, correct? That would sure be my choice.
  • Options
    HAHAHAAH! Damn busted! you got me! John Carpenter's The Thing would be the correct title.
  • Options
    here is a top ten favorite list...again no particular order.

Singing in the Rain
    Princess Bride
    Shawshank Redemption
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Star Wars
    Arsenic and Old lace
    Silence of the Lambs
    Seven Samurai
    Back to the Future
    Die Hard

(I'm not a child of the 80's or anything)
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    My top thirty always subject to change. But the first three are always solid

Goodfellas
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Godfather
    Sunset Boulevard
    Jaws
    Star Wars
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Incredibles
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    12 Angry Men
    The Two Towers
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Return of the King
    Back to the Future
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Finding Nemo
    Wall-E
    Shawshank Redemption
    Cool Hand Luke
    Return of the Jedi
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Seven Samurai
    Fight Club
    Bonnie and Clyde
    JFK
    The Dark Knight
    Batman Begins
    Toy Story
    Aladdin
  • Options
    Cool Hand Luke very nearly made my top ten. And my list, like yours, is subject to change depending on the day of the week. I debated putting Silence of the Lambs in my top ten Horror list but in the end decided it was more Crime Thriller than Horror. Star Wars may belong in a Sci Fi/Fantasy list and Back to the Future may belong on a time travel list if I were being more specific but since I was going general I felt okay including them.
  • Options
    Top tens huh? I like those.

In order favorite to tenth favorite

Empire strikes back
    Blade runner
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Do the right thing
    Real genius
    Life aquatic with Steve zissou
    Brazil
    Star trek wrath of Kahn
    Leon

10 best is a different animal.
    Citizen Kane
    Laurence of Arabia
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Breathless
    jaws
    Easy rider
    metropolis
    2001 a space odyssey
    Godfather
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

"It's the most beloved Christmas story of all time..."

... so 30 years later, we decided to urinate on its memory with this straight to DVD abomination, a blatant last attempt to milk this cash-cow as much as we can and at the same time rape your warm and nostalgic memories of the original.

Starring Daniel Stern.

I like the cut of your jib.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I find top tens so hard as far as anything goes. The films I always go back and watch time and again tho are, in no particular order...

Anchorman
    The goodfellas
    Back to the future 1&2
    Indiana jones trilogy
    Original star wars trilogy
    Pulp fiction

There not all masterpieces. But i've watched them over and over.
  • Options
    I've seen too many good movies in my lifetime to be able to compress them into a top ten list.

Unfortunately, that also holds true for all the bad movies I've seen as well.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

I've seen too many good movies in my lifetime to be able to compress them into a top ten list.

Unfortunately, that also holds true for all the bad movies I've seen as well.

same here
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I know my top five.

Avengers
    Citizen Kane
    Ghostbusters
    South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
    Dark Knight

And, a bonus one: Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'll bite:

Bladerunner - the movie that made me aware of the impact of buildings and design. I probably would not be an architect today had I not been so utterly blown away by this movie.

12 O' Clock High - An utterly spectacular character study into the the strain of command and the pressure on bomber crews during WWII. Incredibly artfully done without in your face gratuitous violence.

Tombstone - maybe the most quotable movie of all time.

Alien - More Ridley Scott. Horror plus sci-fi. In my mind, one of the most perfect horrow movies.

Aliens - Love those bug hunts. This movie drove me to buy a Laser Disc player while in college. 12 minutes of additional footage?!?!?

Big Trouble in Little China - Yet another appearance by Kurt Russell. Yet another wonderfully quotable film. Incredibly fun.

Buckeroo Banzai - what a cast! what terrible special effects! If one had to express the 80's with a single film, John Hughes should probably take a step back and let the Hong Kong Cavaliers take the stage.

To Hell and Back - My dad was a huge fan of Audie Murphy. I remember watching this movie over and over again as a kid. While I've come to realize that Murphy's story was hardly unique, and that numerous others performed in equally valorous ways. Regardless, I cannot shake the image of Murphy crouching on the back of a burning tank holding off the german advance single handedly.

The Killer - John Woo at his finest.

Empire Strikes Back - 'Nuff Said.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Lets see a top 10 horror list from me.

01.Texas Chainsaw Massacre-Well crafted piece of modern southern gothic.
    02.Return of the Living Dead-This is the film that got me in to zombies,and Linnea Quigley ;) .
    03.Night of the Living Dead-Saw this one Halloween night hosted by Sgt Graves,the local UHF horror host. And the ending blew me away.
    04.Jack Ketchum's The Girl next Door-One of the few films in the past 20 years to really get under my skin and upset me.
    05.Hellraiser-I love Clive Barker's books. And this is the best film to come out of his various works of fiction.
    06.Dead/Alive AKA Braindead- Remember when Peter Jackson could make films that were not 3 hours long? Back when he made low budget horror/comedies?
    07.Dawn of the Dead- Didn't see this one for years cause no store near me carried it. But when I finally did I understood why it gets so much praise.
    08.Sleepaway Camp-Was lucky enough to see this in the mid 80s,before I had had the ending spoiled for me.
    09.Phantasm-BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very well done mind-F*** oF A film.
    10.Twin Peaks Fire Walk with me-BOB has always scared me.
  • Options
    I can't even get into horror films anymore; it's been decades since I've been able to find any of them to actually be scary instead of just gross or stupid (as in, stupid people doing stupid things that result in them getting killed). Usually, the films that I found genuinely frightening were usually the ones that didn't show you the monster or the ghoulie, or didn't show you until close to the end of the film, so that your imagination tended to run away with you.

The few films I found frightening were...

Psycho
    Alien
    The Haunting (original version by Robert Wise)
    Stephen King's It -- that one showed you a lot, but still left unseen corners; the clown in the sewers chortling, "We all float!" still gives me chills.
  • Options

I can't even get into horror films anymore; it's been decades since I've been able to find any of them to actually be scary instead of just gross or stupid (as in, stupid people doing stupid things that result in them getting killed). Usually, the films that I found genuinely frightening were usually the ones that didn't show you the monster or the ghoulie, or didn't show you until close to the end of the film, so that your imagination tended to run away with you.

Psycho
    Alien
    Stephen King's It -- that one showed you a lot, but still left unseen corners; the clown in the sewers chortling, "We all float!" still gives me chills.

Check out Jack Ketchum's the girl next door,it is the first film in years to really frighten me,make me angry,and sad at the same time.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'm not much of a horror fan either. Certainly Alien is up there. Mostly, I'm a fan of old school horror: Masque of Red Death, Abominable Dr. Phibes, Casque of Amontillado (scared the proverbial material out of me when I was a kid). Of the newer stuff, the first couple of Hellraisers were pretty decent but it was Event Horizon that truly freaked me out... No sleep, lights on all night freaked out. I think it was the sound.
  • Options

Psycho
    Alien

Totally agree with you on horror movies
  • Options

Psycho
    Alien

Totally agree with you on horror movies
    I should probably add John Carpenter's The Thing as well. While I generally prefer and enjoy the original Howard Hawkes version, and although I find Carpenter's version more gross and gory, there are several effectively scary scenes in the movie... such as trying to determine which of them is actually the creature by sticking a hot wire into blood samples.
  • Options
    First images from the set of Robocop, starring Joel Kinnaman.

Coming Soon.net

• Options
    That Robocop suit looks horrible. Reminds me of the Phantom's costume from that really bad made for Syfy Channel movie a few years ago.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

That Robocop suit looks horrible. Reminds me of the Phantom's costume from that really bad made for Syfy Channel movie a few years ago.

From what we've been told, the character will have several upgrades in the film, so there should be other designs.

I personally like it. It's a lot less bulky than the original one.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

dubbat138 said:

From what we've been told, the character will have several upgrades in the film, so there should be other designs.

But this suit looks more like a guy in a modified wetsuit,not like a robot.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

tazmaniak said:

dubbat138 said:

But this suit looks more like a guy in a modified wetsuit,not like a robot.
    I don't know, maybe that's what it's supposed to look like. I mean, if the military or law enforcement were actually going to make a cyborg soldier/cop, I'd imagine he wouldn't actually be metallic. He'd have cybernetics on the inside, but wouldn't the outside be something akin to body armor? Something more lightweight and less shiny? Something like the armor/suit in the Nolan films.

That's what I think.
  • Options
    Actually, and this can be said of the original as well, I've always found it odd that since Robocop was created by a company for use in a police force, there is no OCP logo prominently displayed.

Especially in the originally film, that emphasized that this company was basically trying to take over.

My big complaint with these first images of the new Robocop is that there is nothing distinctive about it, nothing that makes me think, "Oh, Robocop." The original version (and the blue-ish versions in the sequels) had that.

I look at this and it looks like the Nolan Batman costumes without the capes and cowls, or like a version of the Iron Man armor.

Wait, that's it - it looks like the Iron Man films decided to have a stealth version of the armor designed to project the same aura as a B2 Stealth Bomber.

That's my issue. It looks like a wannabe Iron Man armor instead of something distinct.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    (relocated from the TV news thread, where I had inadvertently posted it earlier)
    NEW HOBBIT TRAILER !!!

There are actually FIVE differnent endings to this trailer. Visit the official site to view them all.
    http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#content=choose-your-moment