Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Recent/Upcoming

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    mwhitt80 said:

Didn't Shane black already do a predator movie?

He only starred in the 1987 Predator (as Hawkins). He never actually directed any Predator movies till now.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I was thinking he directed the crappy predator movie from a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Nah, that's Robert Rodriguez, "Predators". I actually liked that one, the Predator going against metaphorical predators. It's a very psychological character study, not very similar to your average action movie (or Rodriguez movie for that matter). I could understand why not a lot of people would like it though. It's such a slow burn, its pacing.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Orius said:

mwhitt80 said:

Nah, that's Robert Rodriguez, "Predators". I actually liked that one, the Predator going against metaphorical predators. It's a very psychological character study, not very similar to your average action movie (or Rodriguez movie for that matter). I could understand why not a lot of people would like it though. It's such a slow burn, its pacing.
    I enjoyed Predators as well. I think the strong cast helped.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I never liked it; I wanted a predator movie. It wasn't AvP bad. Maybe the first AvP movie just soured me on watching the predators, and I never gave it a fair shake.
    BUT
    Kevin Smith sum up my feelings:
    Predator was a man's movie; Predators was a boy's movie pretending to be a man's movie.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Kevin Smith sum up my feelings:
    Predator was a man's movie; Predators was a boy's movie pretending to be a man's movie.

Yeah, definitely disagree on that sentiment. Even if Predator was supposedly a "man's movie" (whatever that's supposed to mean), that whole '80s macho masculinity died out for a reason. It got old and became stupid. Thank god the new Predators didn't follow such masculinity, now that I think about it. I think I'll stick with the character study.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Orius said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPI9E-wNK8s
    Ho boy. It's one of those "THE Movie Title" movie titles. Sigh. And the trailer looks bad too. I never liked Iron Man 3, and Shane Black is the last choice I want for a Predator movie. Hope it doesn't suck.

As the first member of Dutch Schaefer's team to get killed by the Predator, I think that Shane Black is imminently qualified to do a Predator movie.
  • Options
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Orius said:

Ho boy. It's one of those "THE Movie Title" movie titles. Sigh. And the trailer looks bad too. I never liked Iron Man 3, and Shane Black is the last choice I want for a Predator movie. Hope it doesn't suck.

As the first member of Dutch Schaefer's team to get killed by the Predator, I think that Shane Black is imminently qualified to do a Predator movie.
    To star in it, sure. To 'do' one... that's like saying John Hurt is imminently qualified to do an Alien movie.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Orius said:

hauberk said:

Orius said:

To star in it, sure. To 'do' one... that's like saying John Hurt is imminently qualified to do an Alien movie.
    Black has some losers in there, but Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Goodnight and Last Boyscout were all pretty solid. Considering where McTiernan was in his career as a director, he's got a considerably stronger action SF resume. Same is true as a writer especially when compared to the writers of Predator.

John Hurt, while a fantastic actor, has, to my knowledge never directed anything, but I suspect that he's definitely more qualified than any of the Aliens directors other than Ridley Scott or James Cameron.
  • Options
    Orius said:

New trailer for Incredibles 2 is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYimOnyCknw

I feel bad, but I'm not excited, at all, about Incredibles 2... if it had come a year or two after the original, I would be all over it. Or, if it seemed markedly different, I would be intrigued... but for whatever reason, I just feel "meh" about it.

I LONG for a good FF movie, and The Incredibles is the only thing to ever approach coming close... but I may not even go see it.

What's wrong with me?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

I LONG for a good FF movie, and The Incredibles is the only thing to ever approach coming close...

I never bought into the whole FF comparison with The Incredibles. The obvious family theme aside, the FF was more about space-exploration into bizarre and cosmic worlds like the microverse than just family themes. Not to mention the existence of Doom who's far superior as a villain than... meh, Syndrome.

On a slightly unrelated note, that Comcast bid on Fox against Disney seems like it's getting traction. So long, MCU FF and X-Men. Think that will remain a permanent fantasy pretty soon. So much for the hopes of ever seeing Doom done right.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
    Director: Dexter Fletcher and Bryan Singer
    Screenplay: Anthony McCarten
    Story: Anthony McCarten and Peter Morgan
    Starring: Mike Myers, Rami Malek (as Freddie Mercury), and Joseph Mazzello (as John Deacon)
    Release Date: 2 November, 2018

Plot:
    A chronicle of the years leading up to Queen's legendary appearance at the Live Aid (1985) concert in 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S9c5nnDd_s
    Get ready to sing your heart out at the theater. The Queen is back!

Always loved Queen's music. So glad to see a movie dedicated to them. You Americans are lucky enough to get the movie two months ahead of Singapore.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
    Director: Christopher McQuarrie
    Screenplay: Christopher McQuarrie
    Starring: Rebecca Ferguson (Ilsa Faust), Henry Cavill (August Walker), and Tom Cruise (Ethan Hunt)
    Genre: Action | Adventure | Thriller
    Release Date: 27 July 2018

Plot:
    Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiHiW4N7-bo
  • Options
    Orius said:

Starring: Rebecca Ferguson (Ilsa Faust), Henry Cavill (August Walker), and Tom Cruise (Ethan Hunt)

Plot:
    Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.

I feel like I am a few movies behind on this franchise. Maybe the last one I saw was MI:3? Not sure. But that is a really excellent trailer. Might jump into seeing this one some night this summer. (I doubt there would be much continuity I would need to know).
  • Options
    David_D said:

Orius said:

Plot:

I feel like I am a few movies behind on this franchise. Maybe the last one I saw was MI:3? Not sure. But that is a really excellent trailer. Might jump into seeing this one some night this summer. (I doubt there would be much continuity I would need to know).
    Yeah, I didn't watch the last one either (Rogue Nation), so I am a bit concerned that I won't be able to understand the story in this one. Ghost Protocol was fun and clever, but I think I got burnt out by these movies by that point. I liked it when they used to be more serious spy thrillers. The first one's still my favorite because of that.
  • Options
    This movie was released back in Dec 2017, but I just came across the trailer and...

https://youtu.be/PycUqhQxR1Y

Jackie Chan in Avengers 4 confirmed.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BcYBFC6zfY

Plot: Six years after the events of "Wreck-It Ralph," Ralph and Vanellope, now friends, discover a wi-fi router in their arcade, leading them into a new adventure.
    Release Date: 21 November 2018
    Directors: Phil Johnston and Rich Moore
    Writers: Phil Johnston, Rich Moore, Jim Reardon and Pamela Ribon
    Starring: John C. Reilly (as Ralph) and Sarah Silverman (as Vanellope)

There was an idea to bring together a group of marketable characters to see if they could become something profitable. So when Disney needed them, they could pull an awesome crossover no other studio ever could.

Star Wars. Marvel. Pixar. Muppets. The Disney Cinematic Universe is born. DUN DUN DUN! It's only a matter of time before Fox joins the House of Mouse.

I was skeptical about this movie at first because the whole idea of using the Internet as a gimmick sounded iffy... but man, this is something awesome I might really check out. Bonus points if The Avengers make a cameo.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/g4Hbz2jLxvQ
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Plot: "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" introduces Brooklyn teen Miles Morales, and the limitless possibilities of the Spider-Verse, where more than one can wear the mask.
    Release Date: 13 December 2018
    Directors: Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman and Robert Persichetti Jr.
    Screenplay: Phil Lord
    Starring:

Miles Morales – Shameik Moore
    Peter Parker – Jake Johnson
    Gwen Stacy / Spider-Gwen – Hailee Steinfeld
    May Parker – Lily Tomlin
    Jefferson Davis (Miles’ Father) – Brian Tyree
    Rio Morales (Miles’ Mother) – Luna Lauren Velez
    Aaron Davis / Prowler (Miles' Uncle) – Mahershala Ali
    Wilson Fisk / Kingpin – Liev Schreiber

Not big on the idea of Spider-Gwen (or Spider-Verse), and Peter's voice sounds kinda lame (lacking that cheerful and energetic tone), but the rest of it and the concept of the movie itself already look more interesting than Spider-Man: Homecoming ever did (especially with the appearance of adult Peter, probably the oldest incarnation of the character that's ever appeared on-screen). It also looks like a very fun movie full of quips and wit. Might check out the movie, but I'll wait for the reviews first.
  • Options
    Lily Tomlin as May? Excellent.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    https://youtu.be/aMCLVSlk1Tk
    Halloween (2018)

Plot: Laurie Strode comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.
    Release Date: 19 October, 2018
    Director: David Gordon Green
    Screenplay: Danny McBride, David Gordon Green, Jeff Fradley
    Starring: Jamie Lee Curtis (as Laurie Strode), Judy Greer (as Karen Strode), and Nick Castle (as Michael Myers)

"Halloween: Resurrection", the final appearance of Laurie Strode, was an appalling insult to the franchise and Laurie's character. This movie, taking place after the first Halloween, ignores all the sequels that came after it, for better or worse.

For the record, this has been done before, an adult Laurie confronting Michael Myers after a certain period of time. "Halloween H20: 20 Years Later," as it was titled, was something I had watched as a kid, and was probably my first meeting with this legendary horror icon. Directed by Steve Miner (Friday the 13th Part II and III, Lake Placid), it wasn't done very well and merely felt like another conventional horror slasher that paled in comparison to the groundbreaking execution of John Carpenter. Would this retcon repeat history? Guess we'll have to see. I'm not familiar with David Gordon Green's directorial work, aside from knowing that he directed Pineapple Express.

That said, I'm hopeful about this one for some reason. I liked the concept of H20 (in spite of its execution), so this might be an improvement on that idea for all we know. Had a lot of chills running down my spine from seeing Laurie's return. She's like the Sarah Connor/Ellen Ripley of the '70s, probably the first female icon among horror movies to be remembered so fondly in contemporary times.

Also, that classic Carpenter Halloween theme... oh, so good. Welcome home, Michael.