Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Recent/Upcoming

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    hauberk said:

I'm not much of a horror fan either. Certainly Alien is up there. Mostly, I'm a fan of old school horror: Masque of Red Death, Abominable Dr. Phibes, Casque of Amontillado (scared the proverbial material out of me when I was a kid).

Never been a big horror fan, either, but I do enjoy the occasional old school horror movie when it was more about scares and style than gore and torture pr0n. Abominable Dr. Phibes is a favorite of mine, too, as is another Vincent Price classic, House of Wax. Though I don't know enough of the material to consider myself a fan, I've enjoyed the few Hammer movies that I've seen, too.

You know what still holds up as a legitimately creepy movie? Watcher in the Woods, especially if you watch the alternate endings on the DVD. There are about a half-dozen or so (clearly they had no idea how to end that thing, and admittedly the finished product shows it), and there was at least one that literally had my wife and I shout "GAH! what the f--- is that?!?" when it appears. Late 70s/early 80s Disney... it's another planet, man.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    And because I can't let the opportunity for a top 10 pass, here are my top 10 favorite movies as they stand right now:

1. Casablanca
    2. Star Wars (no, not A New Hope, I was born in the 70s, it's just Star Wars, dammit! :D )
    3. Zero Effect
    4. Superman: The Movie
    5. Amelie
    6. That Thing You Do!
    7. Citizen Kane
    8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    9. Run Lola Run
    10. Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Options

hauberk said:

You know what still holds up as a legitimately creepy movie? Watcher in the Woods, especially if you watch the alternate endings on the DVD. There are about a half-dozen or so (clearly they had no idea how to end that thing, and admittedly the finished product shows it), and there was at least one that literally had my wife and I shout "GAH! what the f--- is that?!?" when it appears. Late 70s/early 80s Disney... it's another planet, man.

I remember that film, and I do remember that it was pretty decent. If I recall correctly, after a certain point of filming and realizing that the story wasn't making sense, they brought in SF writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle to fix the script, and they offered up the only ending they could think of that fit the rest of the story.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

hauberk said:

I remember that film, and I do remember that it was pretty decent. If I recall correctly, after a certain point of filming and realizing that the story wasn't making sense, they brought in SF writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle to fix the script, and they offered up the only ending they could think of that fit the rest of the story.

Plus Disney asked for many scenes to be filmed again.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

Actually, and this can be said of the original as well, I've always found it odd that since Robocop was created by a company for use in a police force, there is no OCP logo prominently displayed.

Especially in the originally film, that emphasized that this company was basically trying to take over.

My big complaint with these first images of the new Robocop is that there is nothing distinctive about it, nothing that makes me think, "Oh, Robocop." The original version (and the blue-ish versions in the sequels) had that.

I look at this and it looks like the Nolan Batman costumes without the capes and cowls, or like a version of the Iron Man armor.

Wait, that's it - it looks like the Iron Man films decided to have a stealth version of the armor designed to project the same aura as a B2 Stealth Bomber.

That's my issue. It looks like a wannabe Iron Man armor instead of something distinct.

Yeah I always pondered the lack of a company logo on Robocop as well (along with some variation of a badge). Not feeling this suit at all. Got to see more before totally condemning it but if this really is all there is to it Im disappointed. kinda cool theyre using Ford taurus' again though lol.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

I'm not much of a horror fan either. Certainly Alien is up there. Mostly, I'm a fan of old school horror: Masque of Red Death, Abominable Dr. Phibes, Casque of Amontillado (scared the proverbial material out of me when I was a kid).

Never been a big horror fan, either, but I do enjoy the occasional old school horror movie when it was more about scares and style than gore and torture pr0n. Abominable Dr. Phibes is a favorite of mine, too, as is another Vincent Price classic, House of Wax. Though I don't know enough of the material to consider myself a fan, I've enjoyed the few Hammer movies that I've seen, too.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen Watcher in the Woods. I'll have to rectify that.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited September 2012
    Trailer for Stoker, a film described by writer Wentworth Miller (Prison Break) as a horror film, a family drama and a psychological thriller. It is directed by Park Chan-wook (Old Boy), making his English-language debut and stars Nicole Kidman, Mathew Goode and Mia Wasikowska.

http://youtu.be/JNpDG4WR_74
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Top tens huh? I like those.

In order favorite to tenth favorite

Empire strikes back
    Blade runner
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Do the right thing
    Real genius
    Life aquatic with Steve zissou
    Brazil
    Star trek wrath of Kahn
    Leon

10 best is a different animal.
    Citizen Kane
    Laurence of Arabia
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Breathless
    jaws
    Easy rider
    metropolis
    2001 a space odyssey
    Godfather

I love that Real Genius is on this list! "Mitch, i used to be you. and lately i've been missing me so i asked Hathaway if i could room with me and he said sure..."

and i also live tyhat favorite and best are different categories. My favorite band is the Ramones but i'm not going to argue they are (were) the most talented guys on the planet. I just think they're a hell of a lot of fun.
  • Options

I can't even get into horror films anymore; it's been decades since I've been able to find any of them to actually be scary instead of just gross or stupid (as in, stupid people doing stupid things that result in them getting killed). Usually, the films that I found genuinely frightening were usually the ones that didn't show you the monster or the ghoulie, or didn't show you until close to the end of the film, so that your imagination tended to run away with you.

The few films I found frightening were...

Psycho
    Alien
    The Haunting (original version by Robert Wise)
    Stephen King's It -- that one showed you a lot, but still left unseen corners; the clown in the sewers chortling, "We all float!" still gives me chills.

Totally agree with you on horror movies
    random73 said:

Top tens huh? I like those.

In order favorite to tenth favorite

Empire strikes back
    Blade runner
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Do the right thing
    Real genius
    Life aquatic with Steve zissou
    Brazil
    Star trek wrath of Kahn
    Leon

10 best is a different animal.
    Citizen Kane
    Laurence of Arabia
    Seven samurai
    Raging bull
    Breathless
    jaws
    Easy rider
    metropolis
    2001 a space odyssey
    Godfather

I love that Real Genius is on this list! "Mitch, i used to be you. and lately i've been missing me so i asked Hathaway if i could room with me and he said sure..."

and i also live tyhat favorite and best are different categories. My favorite band is the Ramones but i'm not going to argue they are (were) the most talented guys on the planet. I just think they're a hell of a lot of fun.

I am a total big time Ramones fan. And will argue till I die that they were the best Rock band ever. They were rock was supposed to be,fun fast songs.
  • Options
    I agree that listing "favorite" and "best" as separate categories is a good idea. I had a long discussion with a friend about that once. He insisted that what a person sees as their "favorite" would automatically constitute it being their opinion of "best."

I maintained that "best" should always be held to a less biased (because completely non-biased is impossible) standard, and should be expressed in a more objective light.

"Favorite" is informed not just by the material itself, but the overall experience that one has with the film - be it fandom, nostalgia, memory, whatever.

For example, long ago, I wrote a top 10 Best Science Fiction film list, and #1 was 2001: A Space Odyssey. I looked at the film as objectively as I could, and found it to be the purist example of science fiction that has been filmed to date. It is also just a beautiful film.

By no means, though, is it my favorite. I've seen it a few times, but I don't have it in any sort of regular rotation.

My favorite? Hmm... at the moment, I'd probably go with Star Trek II. I recognize that it isn't the best (heck, it is barely science fiction - more of a war movie taking place on submarines in space!), but I'm a Trekkie, and I remember going to the drive-in as a kid and seeing this with my parents, and... it is just my favorite.

Good call on the separation.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2012
    Ha. Just heard that Seth MacFarlane is set host next years Oscars. That should be one funny ceremony. I'd love to see him do one of his classic show tune songs here! A la Stewie and Brian.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Ha. Just heard that Seth MacFarlane is set host next years Oscars. That should be one funny ceremony. I'd love to see him do one of his classic show tune songs here! A la Stewie and Brian.

Meh. I don't watch the Oscars as it is, and McFarlane certainly isn't a draw where I'm concerned. May as well see what else is on...
  • Options

luke52 said:

Meh. I don't watch the Oscars as it is, and McFarlane certainly isn't a draw where I'm concerned. May as well see what else is on...
    I haven't watched the Oscars since 1994. But having Seth host is sure way to make sure I don't watch.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The movie Won't back Down has claimed the title of worst opening weekend in history for a major release.

movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/won-t-back-down-gets-taken-down-sets-190307961.html
  • Options

The movie Won't back Down has claimed the title of worst opening weekend in history for a major release.

movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/won-t-back-down-gets-taken-down-sets-190307961.html

What!? Worse than even Oogieloves In The BIG Balloon Adventure!? That must be some bad movie!
  • Options
    Die Hard 5: A Good Day to Die Hard Teaser Trailer is out

youtube.com/watch?v=XmfHhG0J47k&feature=g-u-u
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Die Hard 5: A Good Day to Die Hard Teaser Trailer is out

How many more times can they play with the words "Die Hard" in the title?

"Die Hard 6: It Sucks To Die Hard Today"
    "Die Hard 7: You Expect Me To Die Hard Again?"
    "Die Hard 8: And You Thought You Wouldn't Die Hard This Time?"

etc..etc...

But I will see it

:D
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    More Robocop images.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    tazmaniak said:

More Robocop images.

Bleah.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

More Robocop images.

Bleah.
    Agree'd. He looks just awful.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I still have hope for Robo-Bat. The director José Padilha hasn't made a bad movie (yet).
  • Options
    Still looks like the Phantom from that horrible made for Syfy movie.
  • Options
    I know I'm gonna get yelled at but I thought The Phantom on SyFy wasn't all that bad. To be fair I did have low expectations for it.

As for the Robo photos,eh,I like the helm but feel the color needs to be a shade or two lighter for the whole outfit. The hands need to be Robo-zied.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Not really feeling the Robocop thing. Die Hard though I'm always up for.

Oh and completely on the opposite end, Argo looks really good. It's amazing how much I really look forward to a Ben Affleck movie these days.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I am one of the few people who doesn't understand the appeal of A Christmas Story but even I have to say...damn.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Christmas story either. I loved it when I had seen it a couple times. By the time it was on tv endlessly I learned to hate it.
  • Options
    Re: new Robocop images

Are his hands just going to stick out of that rubber suit like that?

Just... hanging out of that stiff, oversized cuff? The last images had me thinking he simply wasn't full costumed... but now I don't know.

Say what you will about this stealth armor Iron Man/Nolan's Batman rip-off costume, but how can they possibly think that is remotely comparible/more advanced to this:

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I know I'm gonna get yelled at but I thought The Phantom on SyFy wasn't all that bad. To be fair I did have low expectations for it.

As for the Robo photos,eh,I like the helm but feel the color needs to be a shade or two lighter for the whole outfit. The hands need to be Robo-zied.

I liked the Phantom movie too. Quite to my surprise. I think you're right though expectation is everything. since i was prepared for terrible i found merely "okay" to be quite satisfying.

and yes the new Robo-Bat costume is terrible. The old costume was vastly cooler.
  • Options

I'm not a fan of Christmas story either. I loved it when I had seen it a couple times. By the time it was on tv endlessly I learned to hate it.

See that is why I avoid the annual Marathon of it. Instead usually in the beginning of December I watch my dvd of it. Also last year the little theater in town put on a production of it. Which was surprisingly well done.

• Options

Re: new Robocop images

Are his hands just going to stick out of that rubber suit like that?

Just... hanging out of that stiff, oversized cuff? The last images had me thinking he simply wasn't full costumed... but now I don't know.

I believe that they are going to have his hand turn into a gun. At least this is what I have heard so it could just be that they need an exposed hand for the purpose of that.