Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Kickstarter Thread - What are you backing?

Comments

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited November 2018
    Shawn Pryor has another Kickstarter project, Cash & Carrie book 2, that is getting close to being funded with only 5 days left.

Shawn and his people are worth supporting. Check it out!

http://kck.st/2yoIz4n
  • Options
    Recently backed the Off The Record with Peter David DVD and just backed the Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett Section Zero 1959! graphic novel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227066666/section-zero-1959
  • Options
    I just backed/bought Bigfoot Bill, from Earthworm Jim creator Doug Tennapel... purchased it just under the wire, and look forward to getting it in April.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Flagwaver said:

Recently backed the Off The Record with Peter David DVD and just backed the Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett Section Zero 1959! graphic novel.

Same here! Looking forward to watching it!!
  • Options

I also funded Section Zero. Missed out on first Kickstarter for first hardcover so I hit the 50 dollar level to get both HC's. That's a pretty sweet deal.

• Options

I also funded Section Zero. Missed out on first Kickstarter for first hardcover so I hit the 50 dollar level to get both HC's. That's a pretty sweet deal.

That looks awesome!
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

I'm annoyed at myself that I missed the initial Section Zero Kickstarter too. I'm just trying to decide between the HC's and the digital only versions since I also backed the Giantkiller HC this week.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    bats00 said:

I'm annoyed at myself that I missed the initial Section Zero Kickstarter too. I'm just trying to decide between the HC's and the digital only versions since I also backed the Giantkiller HC this week.
    Really was tempted by Giantkiller. I've got the original issues and fieldguide but I loves me some Brereton art. If my budget were a bit better...
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Just backed Heroes of the Golden Age #3 and will be backing Mike Grell's Maggie The Cat when it goes live in a couple days.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    TwoMorrows just launched its very first Kickstarter campaign, a history of... TwoMorrows Publishing.

https://kickstarter.com/projects/twomorrows/the-world-of-twomorrows/updates
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

You are going to break me.

• Options
    My Bigfoot Bill book by Doug Tennapel just arrived... He's the creator of Earthworm Jim, and about 20 graphic novels, mostly for Schoolastic.

The book is a beautiful signed, oversized hardcover, with fantastic color, gold foil, embossing, watercolor endpapers, a cloth patch, and trading cards.

It feels more like an heirloom than a funnybook. Wish I had also ordered the sketchbook.
  • Options
    Update: The World of TwoMorrows book has been fully funded!
  • Options
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Jim Starlin's Dreadstar Omnibus volume 1 on Kickstarter.

Yikes... $99 for the lowest tier where you actually get the book.
  • Options

I was in at an early bird price, but I am thinking about getting out $68 is a steep ask.

The more I look at the project the more disillusioned I am with the price point. The project is really awesome and I hope the KS funds the printing of all the volumes with cash to spare. I will let you know what I decide.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Jump on this, @Tonebone. You need to swing for the "making of" addition if you can. Hefty $74 total ($50+$24 S&H), but the Bigfoot Bill "making of" sketchbook was fantastic.

Earthworm Jim the Comic Book
  • Options

I ended up cancelling the Dreadstar Omnibus.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

Jump on this, @Tonebone. You need to swing for the "making of" addition if you can. Hefty $74 total ($50+$24 S&H), but the Bigfoot Bill "making of" sketchbook was fantastic.

Yeah... I'm reallllly tempted to get in on this... but I'm only a peripheral Earthworm Jim fan... BUT his production values on Bigfoot Bill were so top notch that I think I'm in. That $24 shipping is hard to swallow, tho. Maybe they ship separately?

I REALLY can't wait for Bigfoot Bill 2, honestly. That book was really fun.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

Yeah... I'm reallllly tempted to get in on this... but I'm only a peripheral Earthworm Jim fan... BUT his production values on Bigfoot Bill were so top notch that I think I'm in. That $24 shipping is hard to swallow, tho. Maybe they ship separately?

I agree. $24 is pretty steep for any kind of shipping. This may be my last purchase from him for a while. I've heard him talk about this being the future of his publishing, and I wish him the best, but my wallet won't be able to afford much more. I don't know how many new fans he's getting with these releases? Enough to sustain big projects like this? He does create a fantastic product, and really hits that collector side in me. But as I get older, I keep looking at the collection my kids are completely uninterested in and I wonder why I keep getting the stuff?
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

I agree. $24 is pretty steep for any kind of shipping. This may be my last purchase from him for a while. I've heard him talk about this being the future of his publishing, and I wish him the best, but my wallet won't be able to afford much more. I don't know how many new fans he's getting with these releases? Enough to sustain big projects like this? He does create a fantastic product, and really hits that collector side in me. But as I get older, I keep looking at the collection my kids are completely uninterested in and I wonder why I keep getting the stuff?
    That really hits home... My kids are also uninterested... I have already had the conversation with my wife about what to do with all my junk when I die... not really sure what the solution is... I would LOVE to donate it to a library or something, but our local library just sells donations at their yearly sale... they don't put them on the shelves. To try to sell them would be a futile full-time job for someone. Sigh.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

That really hits home... My kids are also uninterested... I have already had the conversation with my wife about what to do with all my junk when I die... not really sure what the solution is... I would LOVE to donate it to a library or something, but our local library just sells donations at their yearly sale... they don't put them on the shelves. To try to sell them would be a futile full-time job for someone. Sigh.
    The Duke library has a growing comic history collection, including original art. They probably wouldn't be interested in your whole collection, but they might be interested in some part of it. Might be worth investigating.
  • Options
    The kids are too young right now for me to know how to plan for the future. But if I get hit by a bus or have a freaking heart attack and you hear about it through the grapevine I expect you to give my wife some guidance. She knows Jack about comics and I told her to contact people on the forums for help.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The kids are too young right now for me to know how to plan for the future. But if I get hit by a bus or have a freaking heart attack and you hear about it through the grapevine I expect you to give my wife some guidance. She knows Jack about comics and I told her to contact people on the forums for help.

Well, I do already know where you live, so fair enough.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

The Duke library has a growing comic history collection, including original art. They probably wouldn't be interested in your whole collection, but they might be interested in some part of it. Might be worth investigating.
    Eh... Duke. They have lots of money. They can buy their own comics.

And, just to clarify... I'm not dying or anything, or at least not any more than anyone else is in a perpetual state of dying.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

True, just trying to keep it local. I've donated some things to my kids’ schools, and they were happy to have them. Gave some age-appropriate comics to a third grade class, and the teacher was very happy to get them as they were a big hit in the classroom, especially with the kids who normally didn’t like to read. And I gave a few graphic novels to the high school library when they were trying to build up their collection.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    fredzilla said:

I had to get this. Yes the price is speed but TenNapel's sketchbooks were absolute gorgeous when he did crowdsourcing for them. He really does throw a lot into his books when he makes them.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

True, just trying to keep it local. I've donated some things to my kids’ schools, and they were happy to have them. Gave some age-appropriate comics to a third grade class, and the teacher was very happy to get them as they were a big hit in the classroom, especially with the kids who normally didn’t like to read. And I gave a few graphic novels to the high school library when they were trying to build up their collection.
    Ha... my wife is an elementary school teacher... she has already poached a lot of my kid friendly stuff... And I'm always happy to pass them on to kids.