Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Webhead said:

I remember I was at Dr. Who convention and they showed that episode for the first time in the U.S. The whole auditorium erupted in applause and cheers , I guess a lot people were also annoyed by Adric.

shroud68 said:

I recall that sort of reaction as well at my first con in Philadelphia. I never understood the glee in a companion's death and while he was annoying, it's a shame he is only remembered for his death.

Well, it's a powerful moment, made all the more so by the silent credits, but let's not forget that the kid brought it on himself. He was all set to get to safety, but no, he just had to be right!

While I'd hate to see that reaction to a real person's death, with Adric... it's hard not to think that maybe he had it coming at least a little. Admittedly, I laughed uproariously at a YouTube video that inserts studio audience laughter and thunderous applause over those normally-silent credits, so I'm probably part of the problem. :D
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who after Christmas Special

The BBC reports it here.

I had told my wife the other day that I bet he left after the 50th anniversary episode... so I was close.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Smith was a worthy Doctor. Will be great to see him in other projects.
    The future looks bright for this fellow.

The next actor/actress(?) has quite some shoes to fill.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    kgforce said:

The BBC reports it here.

I had told my wife the other day that I bet he left after the 50th anniversary episode... so I was close.

A lot of fans were worried he'd be leaving this year, but Matt came out 2 weeks ago and assured us he wasn't leaving. In fact, he confirmed he would begin filming series 8 late this year or early next. That put a lot of fans at ease. It's really unfortunate to now learn that he was either blatantly misleading us or only decided within the last 2 weeks that he didn't want to continue after the Christmas special.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    tazmaniak said:

It's really unfortunate to now learn that he was either blatantly misleading us or only decided within the last 2 weeks that he didn't want to continue after the Christmas special.

Rule #1: The Doctor lies.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited June 2013
    Nobody mentioned the BIG news yet??? I'm assuming this is too big to hide in spoiler text - so I'll say it: Matt Smith stepping down in this year's xmas ep - 12th Dr. to be announced!

news.com.au/entertainment/television/matt-smith-set-to-stand-aside-as-dr-who-in-the-2013-christmas-special/story-e6frfmyi-1226655267660

e
    L nny
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited June 2013
    ctowner1 said:

Nobody mentioned the BIG news yet??? I'm assuming this is too big to hide in spoiler text - so I'll say it: Matt Smith stepping down in this year's xmas ep - 12th Dr. to be announced!

news.com.au/entertainment/television/matt-smith-set-to-stand-aside-as-dr-who-in-the-2013-christmas-special/story-e6frfmyi-1226655267660

e
    L nny

uh... huh? **looks four posts above**
    kgforce said:

The BBC reports it here.

;)
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I hope this is not met with the doom and gloom I imagine it will be. The very nature of Doctor Who has this built in and so a change of actor shoud not be a sign of the Apocaylpse. I guess I'm in a minority that really does not care for Matt Smith at all so I view a change as welcome. With that I hope a change of scope for Doctor Who. I have said this before, I prefer the episodic nature of Doctor Who to this River Song/Silence era characterized by melodrama and confusion. I dont mind a time paradox or two but I find this Matt Smith era impossible to like other than a scene or two. I hate the trend in everything today for impossible stakes,last stand, nothing will ever top this til next week or next issue. Whether it's Age of Ultron, City of Owls or Doctor Who, I could do for a one and done story or two. Revving up the dramatic engines to the nth degree just for an inevitable letdown is leading to diminishing returns for me on many levels, in many mediums.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    tazmaniak said:

kgforce said:

The BBC reports it here.

A lot of fans were worried he'd be leaving this year, but Matt came out 2 weeks ago and assured us he wasn't leaving. In fact, he confirmed he would begin filming series 8 late this year or early next. That put a lot of fans at ease. It's really unfortunate to now learn that he was either blatantly misleading us or only decided within the last 2 weeks that he didn't want to continue after the Christmas special.

I wonder how abrupt the decision was. As you say, they spent the last few weeks reassuring everyone that both he and Moffatt were coming back. I could have sworn there was even an official press release stating that.

I was ready to see him go after the first half of series seven, but after this last half, I'd decided he had one more year in him. Two more stories seems rather sudden to be losing him. On the other hand, it does avoid that long goodbye we had with Tennant.

It's probably the smartest move for him, though. It's going on five years since he took the part, and that's a long chunk of time for a young actor. He probably feels like committing to any more might cause some missed opportunities, and he's probably right.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    shroud68 said:

I hope this is not met with the doom and gloom I imagine it will be. The very nature of Doctor Who has this built in and so a change of actor shoud not be a sign of the Apocaylpse. I guess I'm in a minority that really does not care for Matt Smith at all so I view a change as welcome. With that I hope a change of scope for Doctor Who. I have said this before, I prefer the episodic nature of Doctor Who to this River Song/Silence era characterized by melodrama and confusion. I dont mind a time paradox or two but I find this Matt Smith era impossible to like other than a scene or two. I hate the trend in everything today for impossible stakes,last stand, nothing will ever top this til next week or next issue. Whether it's Age of Ultron, City of Owls or Doctor Who, I could do for a one and done story or two. Revving up the dramatic engines to the nth degree just for an inevitable letdown is leading to diminishing returns for me on many levels, in many mediums.

That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed Davison's exit in Caves of Androzani so much. No overly dramatic build-up, no end of the universe stakes - just the Doctor and his companion landing on a planet and finding themselves in a situation so dire that they can't escape completely unscathed. It was as if they decided "This is the strongest story we have this season, so let's make it the finale."

With so little time to build things up, I'm hoping we get something like that for Smith's goodbye.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

I hope this is not met with the doom and gloom I imagine it will be. The very nature of Doctor Who has this built in and so a change of actor shoud not be a sign of the Apocaylpse.

I'm kind of afraid to check Tumblr or Pinterest this morning... I'm sure I can't begin to imagine the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and probably full-on keening going on in my feeds there since I think a good-sized portion of the current series fanbase (at least in the US) came on with Smith since that's when BBC America really started pushing it (which I don't fault them for - new Doctor, new jumping on point, etc.).

So although the newer fans may have gone back for older episodes and maybe even the original series, they've never had their Doctor change on them. But that's where we older fans can come in, offer them a jelly baby or jammy dodger (depending on preference... though, really, in that situation there's no wrong choice), and help them through. :D
  • Options
    chrisw said:

That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed Davison's exit in Caves of Androzani so much. No overly dramatic build-up, no end of the universe stakes - just the Doctor and his companion landing on a planet and finding themselves in a situation so dire that they can't escape completely unscathed. It was as if they decided "This is the strongest story we have this season, so let's make it the finale."

It was so true to his entire era as the Doctor, too. So many of those stories feature situations that spiral out of the Doctor's control and the exciting part was watching how well (or not well) he was able to resolve them, and Caves was a situation that escalated too far for him to succeed without it taking a terrible toll.

• Options
    If anyone has been curious to check out Big Finish's Doctor Who audios but have yet to get around to it, the BF people themselves have placed 8 complete recordings for download cheap as free and all legal-like on Soundcloud:

Smattering of stuff here: some Peter Davison, some Colin Baker, some companion-centric stuff (some of which I think was originally sent out to Doctor Who Magazine subscribers)... basically, enough to give you the gist of what they do. The only one of these I've heard before is The Mutant Phase, an outstanding 5th Doctor and Nyssa story, so if you want a place to start, choose that one. I don't think you'll be sorry.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

If anyone has been curious to check out Big Finish's Doctor Who audios but have yet to get around to it, the BF people themselves have placed 8 complete recordings for download cheap as free and all legal-like on Soundcloud:

Thanks for the link
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I suppose it's too much to hope for Benedict Cumberbatch?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I suppose it's too much to hope for Benedict Cumberbatch?

ooooooooooo. That would be all kinds of awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Smattering of stuff here: some Peter Davison, some Colin Baker, some companion-centric stuff (some of which I think was originally sent out to Doctor Who Magazine subscribers)... basically, enough to give you the gist of what they do. The only one of these I've heard before is The Mutant Phase, an outstanding 5th Doctor and Nyssa story, so if you want a place to start, choose that one. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Listening to Cuddlesome right now. Good stuff.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I'd like to see an older doctor. Hugh Laurie is at the top of my wish list.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

Doctor Who's House

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Let's go really old and get Patrick Stewart as the Doctor.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    In today's episode, Episode 1378 , Jamie D. and myself have a brief chat with Colin Baker at the Denver Comic Con. We spoke to him within hours of the announcement and he gives us his thoughts on Matt Smith leaving the show and more. It's a really fun talk and it starts around the 27:27 minute mark of the episode.
  • Options
    How awesome would it be to get a female Doctor. The Paternoster Gang certainly wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

uh... huh? **looks four posts above**

;)
    oops!!!

:O) :(|)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited June 2013
    Apparently today is a holiday, one which we're to commemorate by tagging the phrase "Bad Wolf" wherever we go.
    (Disclaimer: Vandalism is bad. Kids, ask your parents before spray-painting "Bad Wolf" on blue police boxes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UIDUaHko8Go#!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

kiwijase said:

Doctor Who's House

Doctor Hugh.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I like CNN saying at the end of their story possible doctors: idris ilba, hellen mirren and John Hurt.

Uhm.. No.. no... no....
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I like CNN saying at the end of their story possible doctors: idris ilba, hellen mirren and John Hurt.

Uhm.. No.. no... no....

why? I'd be psyched with any of those 3! All are top notch actors.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @ctowner1

I doubt that Idris Ilba would be up for it...From what I've heard, he's not the most personable of actors and let's face it if you're playing Dr. Who, you are going to be making a whole heaping lot of personal appearances.
  • Options

@ctowner1

I doubt that Idris Ilba would be up for it...From what I've heard, he's not the most personable of actors and let's face it if you're playing Dr. Who, you are going to be making a whole heaping lot of personal appearances.

Definitely true - I was just commenting on my wants, not on what I think will happen. He's a great actor (all 3 of those are), so I'd be happy w/any of them. A female Dr. might be pretty interesting in particular.

e
    L nny